• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

It's weird that my game says I only have 1 day remaining, when I thought they started up a 4-day free trial. And I started up last night, so not even a day has passed.

I'm going through the Hall of Novice now. Although I'm using a new keyboard, so I also gotta get used to that.

iammeiam

Reading some of the further information on Reddit, this sounds a lot like a direct implementation of the existing Chinese and Korean jump potions. The JP price converts to around $21 US, and if you buy the job jump you get some Silver Chocobo feathers for gear, 300,000 Gil, and all your job quests auto-completed. Initially the boost will be to 50 for jobs/2.5 for MSQ, moving to 60/post-3.5 for Stormblood.

This can only be a good thing--FF branding only gets you so far, so providing a way to opt out of the grind and get straight to the new/exciting Stormblood stuff for new players expands the potential audience.

I eagerly await the Stormsblood CE including one of each jump potion and the meltdown that follows amongst a segment of the playerbase.

Reading some of the further information on Reddit, this sounds a lot like a direct implementation of the existing Chinese and Korean jump potions. The JP price converts to around $21 US, and if you buy the job jump you get some Silver Chocobo feathers for gear, 300,000 Gil, and all your job quests auto-completed. Initially the boost will be to 50 for jobs/2.5 for MSQ, moving to 60/post-3.5 for Stormblood.

This can only be a good thing--FF branding only gets you so far, so providing a way to opt out of the grind and get straight to the new/exciting Stormblood stuff for new players expands the potential audience.

I eagerly await the Stormsblood CE including one of each jump potion and the meltdown that follows amongst a segment of the playerbase.
I would buy one just to use on warrior cause I like the class but don't want to level it and want to be the most piece of trash warrior out there.

aceface

With them implementing changes to the battle system and abilities with the expansion anyways, it seems like a good time to add the jump potions to 60. Ideally Stormblood would include a short tutorial at least on how to play each job at 60 with rotations and such but it probably won't because limited resources.

Peroroncino

Is there some prerequisite for grand company delivery and supply missions? It's always empty and tells me to come back tomorrow.

Do I need to have some DoH/DoC class active or what?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The jump potions sound like a bandaid for a larger problem. If over half your game is too boring/too much of a grind to through for the actual "exciting" things then it sounds like you fucked up somewhere.

I can't wait for people to jump to Stormblood, plow through to the endgame and then complain about no content.

dramatis

Is there some prerequisite for grand company delivery and supply missions? It's always empty and tells me to come back tomorrow.

Do I need to have some DoH/DoC class active or what?
No, you don't need to have a DoH class active.

Supply and Provision 'missions' aren't really missions, they're basically daily hand-ins to help out with some exp.

For crafting and gathering, you need to make or collect X number of an item listed in Supply and Provision. If you hand in HQ of that item, you get 2x exp. If you hand in HQ of an item with a star next to it, you get bonus exp. (For that class only.)

For combat, there isn't a particular 'mission'. It mostly just means handing in old green gear that you can't convert to material for seals.

At various locations around the world, there are Grand Company Levequests, which are basically also exp quests that come with GC seals. Those are for combat.

Peroroncino

Thanks for quick reply, tell me also please, are those daily hand-ins for all players? Was I simply too late? I have so much green junk that I'd part with, but this list is always empty for me saying: No more deliveries accepted today.

I've yet to become any DoC/DoH class, so far I'm too busy making pugilist and marauder.

dramatis

Thanks for quick reply, tell me also please, are those daily hand-ins for all players? Was I simply too late? I have so much green junk that I'd part with, but this list is always empty for me saying: No more deliveries accepted today.

I've yet to become any DoC/DoH class, so far I'm too busy making pugilist and marauder.
I forgot to mention, to do the gear hand ins you have to be Sergeant Second Class.

Complete Company Hunting Log Rank 1, and pay seals until you hit Sergeant Second Class.

The jump potions sound like a bandaid for a larger problem. If over half your game is too boring/too much of a grind to through for the actual "exciting" things then it sounds like you fucked up somewhere.

I can't wait for people to jump to Stormblood, plow through to the endgame and then complain about no content.

Undoubtedly the main story questline in ARR is considerably weaker than the main story questline in Heavensward. Ideally that could be completely reworked for new players, though I'm not sure how that would practically work. Though even if ARR had been stronger, I think there would still be people who would want to come fresh into XIV and jump straight into the latest expansion content. Building the main story as one continuous questline from beginning to end allows for interesting narrative possibilities rather than having to do a bigger reset with each expansion/patch, but it does inherently lead to practical problems with bringing in new people with expansions.

Pachimari

Do anyone here know if the G-buttons on the Corsair K95 only functions as macros? Because I can't map anything to them in the game, and so I have to record a macro, so that G1 acts as J, G2 acts as H, G3 acts as I, etc. It would be a shame if I can't free up the main keys by using the G buttons.

That's not what the problem is. This isn't meant to fix 2.X being a slog but because it's just too much stuff even if you remove the filler. We're heading into the second expansion to the game. You simply can't expect new players to look at 4 years worth of content before getting to where everyone else is, that's insane, you're not going to maintain a new player influx if you ask them to play for dozens and dozens of hours to get to the core of the game.

Tomat

That's not what the problem is. This isn't meant to fix 2.X being a slog but because it's just too much stuff even if you remove the filler.

We're heading into the second expansion to the game. You simply can't expect new players to look at 4 years worth of content before getting to where everyone else is, that's insane.
It depends on how the jumps are implemented. I would rather they start you at Heavansward. Granted, this would make a lot more sense if the jumps were implemented before the release of Stormblood, giving people plenty of time to get through HW and be ready for SB.

I agree that pre-HW story is pretty much trash, and there's plenty of it.

It depends on bow the jumps are implemented. I would rather they start you at Heavansward. Granted, this would make a lot more sense if the jumps were implemented before the release of Stormblood, giving people plenty of time to get through HW and be ready for SB.

I agree that pre-HW story is pretty much trash, and there's plenty of it.
Apparently there are two potion options, one that puts you at the start of Heavensward and one that will put you at the start of Stormblood.

iammeiam

XIV is in a weird spot trying to serve as both a functional FF game with minimal MMO knowledge required to service FF fans, while also trying to function as a sub-based MMORPG because that's what it is. Gating HW behind 2.55 made sense for XIV-as-FF game, alongside the brain-meltingly tedious early game combat as an intro to MMO combat. It's bad for XIV as an MMO. The real solution is hopefully them not gating Stormsblood behind HW completion (which they've said in the past would be the case), but that's still like six to seven months away. Starting people at the start of HW now makes the game more appealing in the runup to SB.

Ideally they use the dev time they're saving not trying to fix the ARR leveling experience to create actual endgame content that would serve old+new players instead of spackling a bunch of stuff existing players won't ever see. If there's insufficient endgame content for people who boosted, there's also insufficient endgame content for people who've leveled up the old fashioned way over time. It doesn't matter if people rush 70 or take it leisurely over a couple of weeks; there'll either be an endgame there or there won't be, and that's going to have to sustain people for months until the first patch.

Allard

If I went and leveled an alt or a new character on a different server, i would take the ARR potion in a heartbeat, I still like the overall experience of heavensward though so I might skip using that. ARR story padding and pace is too messed up to force players to go through just to get 'current' so they can play with friends. It was also the number one complaint going into heavensward about how aside from becoming an Au Ra, you literally got nothing from the expansion till you completed the entirety of the original story. I like this from a long time player perspective, but its not worth it to force others into this if they don't want to, let them play where everyone else is playing. I think if upon using the jump potion for ARR you would be required to complete the novice hall would be worth something at least, and than for a jump potion through heavensward there should be an intermediate hall showing additional practiced mechanics and showing how some newer abilities work. If they did something like that it would go a long way to at least give some new player a chance at the current content.

aceface

Endgame content and especially the highest level raid seemed like an afterthought at best and completely broken at worst in both ARR 2.0 and the original expansion HW 3.0 release. I hope they learn from their mistakes and actually implement some meaty endgame content for 4.0. Don't leave it all for the patches this time.

depward

Feeling like giving this another go.

Last time I played, I had spent literally 10 hours trying to beat Titan Hard Mode and gave up and stopped.

Assuming a looooot has changed. Anyone have a resource that I should look at to get up to speed on what I should do?

(Also is hard mode Titan still a thing?)

I deleted my account for this game about 2 years ago, and am currently trying to sign up again. I'm guessing that I'm using my old email I used to have an account on is fucking things up. I've Registered twice, and have gotten no confirmation email. Been sitting here for about 40 minutes now.....Guess Square doesn't want me playing this again.

Slater

Banned
I deleted my account for this game about 2 years ago, and am currently trying to sign up again. I'm guessing that I'm using my old email I used to have an account on is fucking things up. I've Registered twice, and have gotten no confirmation email. Been sitting here for about 40 minutes now.....Guess Square doesn't want me playing this again.
No shade or anything, but why would you delete it? Just canceling the sub does the same thing and you still have the account if you ever want to go back

No shade or anything, but why would you delete it? Just canceling the sub does the same thing and you still have the account if you ever want to go back
I thought I was canceling. Then it got deleted....I wasn't a very happy camper. I didn't read the text clearly, and a lot of other people I see did same thing when I googled my issue. I thought I was canceling my subscription. I was canceling my whole Square account.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
XIV is in a weird spot trying to serve as both a functional FF game with minimal MMO knowledge required to service FF fans, while also trying to function as a sub-based MMORPG because that's what it is. Gating HW behind 2.55 made sense for XIV-as-FF game, alongside the brain-meltingly tedious early game combat as an intro to MMO combat. It's bad for XIV as an MMO. The real solution is hopefully them not gating Stormsblood behind HW completion (which they've said in the past would be the case), but that's still like six to seven months away. Starting people at the start of HW now makes the game more appealing in the runup to SB.

I believe it was implied at the Fanfest that they've backpedalled on that decision - the story is a direct leadup to 4.0 right now, too.

Allard

I believe it was implied at the Fanfest that they've backpedalled on that decision - the story is a direct leadup to 4.0 right now, too.

This is correct, its the reason the jump potion is in discussion, its a 'free pass' to get right into stormblood content but you will need to have a story clear otherwise up to 3.55 story content.

iammeiam

This is correct, its the reason the jump potion is in discussion, its a 'free pass' to get right into stormblood content but you will need to have a story clear otherwise up to 3.55 story content.

This is unfortunate and bad design; you lose the "but the story!!!!" justification for gating by letting people skip, while simultaneously failing to let people go back and experience the story later once they've done the fun new stuff.

The jump potions have existed in other regions for a while, and are probably the least dev-heavy way to deal with the existing ARR/HW interdependency. They make sense as coping with a technical limitation; it's unfortunate if they choose to continue to weave in quest dependencies on new expansions.

I think one thing that came up a few times in what Yoshida actually wrote that people don't talk about much is bringing your friends into the game. (I'm not sure if there's a full decent translation of the post out yet, and I think Yoshida should have waited for the English translation before posting on the JP forums.) It is pretty sucky when you get a friend into the game because they saw some cool Alexander stuff, and then they realise that they have to plough through levelling, Realm Reborn, etc. just to be able to play with you in the cool new stuff. This is something that Palace of the Dead is really good for, in that you can at least get a taste of level 60 gameplay without going from level 1 -> end of Heavensward MSQ while playing with your level 60 friend.

On that basis, I think the jumping potions are a good idea and good for the longevity of the game. Honestly, I find it pretty hard to believe that there's going to be a huge number of people who fork out for the game, expansions, potions, and sub without someone they know in the game already who's helping them out and showing them the ropes. And for those who go it alone, I think that they would only blow that much money on the game after trying the trial and getting a bit of familiarity that way, or at least doing some research into what they're getting into.

I suppose if I'm concerned about anything, it's that relying on the journal isn't a very good way to recap on the story, and that there should be some kind of Hall of the Novice integration. I guess, ideally, the approach that I'd like the most is to have something like what FFXI did, where Records of Eminence and various new-player-oriented features throw stuff at you to power you through the game and guide you through the story, but I appreciate that it's a lot of work, and I'd rather that effort go into what's current.

Pachimari

Man I think I got some time between Christmas and New Year where I can do some marathon sessions in this game. Maybe six hours a day dunno. I don't know why but the game stresses me out lol. Although I enjoy it when I am sitting in front of it playing it.

Hystzen

Man I think I got some time between Christmas and New Year where I can do some marathon sessions in this game. Maybe six hours a day dunno. I don't know why but the game stresses me out lol. Although I enjoy it when I am sitting in front of it playing it.

It's a pretty chill game only got stresssed when some elitists are shoved in party for post MSQ dungeons in AAR. When you log out do it in sanctuary you will see a moon symbol at end of exp bad you get a great exp boost after log in next day make sure levelling up quick especially with your dailys or hunting log

Squishy3

This is unfortunate and bad design; you lose the "but the story!!!!" justification for gating by letting people skip, while simultaneously failing to let people go back and experience the story later once they've done the fun new stuff.

The jump potions have existed in other regions for a while, and are probably the least dev-heavy way to deal with the existing ARR/HW interdependency. They make sense as coping with a technical limitation; it's unfortunate if they choose to continue to weave in quest dependencies on new expansions.
They just need to make a video that people can go and watch at any time. (Maybe even just upload it to the official youtube so they don't need to figure out how to implement it in game and include a link to it when buying a jump potion? IE: A Realm Reborn anthology video, Heavensward anthology video, etc.)

Allard

Maybe those who have played this in other regions can clarify, but I don't think the 'jump' potion actually keeps you from playing that old content, merely triggers an alternative quest marker that lets you continue on to the next quest without completing the prerequisite. There are a ton of stuff that is still locked behind the MSQ that if you want to use it will still require you to finish the quests. For instance grand company enlistment is tied behind the initial part of the main story and you have to make a choice, you still need to unlock dungeons and trials etc. And even if say it did do that, clears all that content (which I doubt) almost every cutscene can be seen through the Inn. There will be reason to go back, it simply won't be an artificial barrier anymore from participating in current content.

Maybe those who have played this in other regions can clarify, but I don't think the 'jump' potion actually keeps you from playing that old content, merely triggers an alternative quest marker that lets you continue on to the next quest without completing the prerequisite. There are a ton of stuff that is still locked behind the MSQ that if you want to use it will still require you to finish the quests. For instance grand company enlistment is tied behind the initial part of the main story and you have to make a choice, you still need to unlock dungeons and trials etc. And even if say it did do that, clears all that content (which I doubt) almost every cutscene can be seen through the Inn. There will be reason to go back, it simply won't be an artificial barrier anymore from participating in current content.

There are two separate potions being discussed, which can be used together:
- story potion: takes you up the start of the expansion (accepting the Heavensward intro quest)
- level potion: gives you 1 level 50 job and levels pre-req sub-class to 15, as well as some untradeable items to get you some starting gear

When you use the story potion, it also flags certain other things:
- it automatically puts you in your starting nation's GC at the lowest rank
- automatically gives you a company chocobo with a preset name
- flags all Realm Reborn aetherytes
- flags all Realm Reborn dungeons as cleared
- fills out the journal with 'completed' quests
- clears some quests required for certain required features (I guess they're talking about stuff like dungeons, leves and possibly challenge log)

edit: corrected a couple of goofs

Allard

There are two separate potions being discussed, which can be used together:
- story potion: takes you up the start of the expansion (accepting the Heavensward intro quest)
- level potion: gives you 1 level 50 job and levels pre-req sub-class to 15, as well as some untradeable items to get you some starting gear

When you use the story potion, it also flags certain other things:
- it automatically puts you in your starting nation's GC at the lowest rank
- automatically gives you a company chocobo with a preset name
- flags all Realm Reborn aetherytes
- flags all Realm Reborn dungeons as cleared
- fills out the journal with 'completed' quests
- clears some quests required for certain required features (I guess they're talking about stuff like dungeons, leves and possibly challenge log)

edit: corrected a couple of goofs

That's what I needed clarifying thanks, so basically they need to go to the Inn to watch cut scenes if they skip it all, Challenge log is a separate unlock outside the main story so i bet that is something people will need to do on their own.

Fou-Lu

Has there been any more substantial rumours of what jobs/classes we might get with Stormblood? I am crossing my fingers for Red Mage still.

Squishy3

Has there been any more substantial rumours of what jobs/classes we might get with Stormblood? I am crossing my fingers for Red Mage still.
Red Mage was the only job hinted at so far.. so yeah

We'll probably get a reveal at this coming fanfest, if the JP Fanfest for Heavensward is any indication, where they confirmed Dark Knight and revealed Astrologian and Machinist. They might save something for the EU fanfest though.

iammeiam

And even if say it did do that, clears all that content (which I doubt) almost every cutscene can be seen through the Inn. There will be reason to go back, it simply won't be an artificial barrier anymore from participating in current content.

Introducing the potion but making 4.0 rely on 3.55 completion is sort of the height of reinforcing an artificial barrier, while admitting it's artificial. If they're acknowledging that people have valid reason to want to start new content before completing prior content, why on earth continue to hook things together? If somebody starts fresh with 4.0, why make the choice be either do all pre-4.0 MSQ immediately, or skip it and only get to see it as cutscenes? Provide the option, sure, but why not also let them go back and play through it later in lulls between patches or while waiting for queue pops?

The potions as exist have to because of the way they hooked the game together; the only reason this has to continue going forward is if they choose to keep gating expansion content and creating the problem the potions solve.

IvorB

If they want to give people boost potions or whatever that's fine but I hope the new jobs start from level 1. I really enjoy level jobs from scratch. Starting from 30 or whatever is just not the same.

If they want to give people boost potions or whatever that's fine but I hope the new jobs start from level 1. I really enjoy level jobs from scratch. Starting from 30 or whatever is just not the same.
Goodness no, I dread having to do menial shit for two hours only to have a full 3 hit combo rotation.

Tomat

No chance of this happening.

Tomat

Hmm. Starting at level 30 with a bunch of skills already unlocked is bad though unless the game takes you through a job-tailored tutorial explaining how to actually use everything.
If I remember correctly (the last time I played Machinist was 800 years ago), they don't do this.

I don't expect it for the new jobs or for the jump potions either. Maybe they'll surprise us.

No one wants to play through 10 years of WoW expansions to get to current content.

FFXIV hasn't been around as long but the same problem exists there too.

Besides, the boosts make WoW a lot of money, Squenix would be dumb to pass that up.

Omni

If I remember correctly (the last time I played Machinist was 800 years ago), they don't do this.

I don't expect it for the new jobs or for the jump potions either. Maybe they'll surprise us.
I unlocked MCH last night and yeah, they don't explain anything. In the job quest there was a single NPC line that mentioned two of the MCH abilities that we can use, but nothing in terms of when we should actually use said abilities. Or even a general rotation.

I suppose it isn't too bad in the general scheme of things. Better than starting at 1, I suppose

Squishy3

Hmm. Starting at level 30 with a bunch of skills already unlocked is bad though unless the game takes you through a job-tailored tutorial explaining how to actually use everything.
And all it takes in this case is going through the ability tooltips to be able to grasp how a class should play, there aren't that many new abilities that aren't present on other classes. IE Astro has the WHM toolkit essentially when starting, Machinist has Split Shot, Slug Shot, Hot Shot, Reload, Quick Reload, Leg Graze, Blank, Reassemble Spread Shot and Rapid Fire. Not that much to grasp there while reading tooltips. Dark Knight is basically a Paladin with a few twists that aren't that hard to grasp when starting either.

The problem is people already level jobs from 1-60 and don't do this. Starting the jobs from level 1 wouldn't change this. I ran an EX roulette the other day and there was a dragoon in my party that only did impulse drive disembowel and chaos thrust the entire run, maybe using jump every 120 seconds. (which is a 30 second cooldown)

Bad players will be bad players because they never seek outside information regarding the game they're playing. This is fine in WoW where 80% of content is actually trivial if you're anything but the tank or the healer, but XIV does put some slight DPS checks in it's content when it first comes out whereas when I was going through Legion during it's launch month I don't think I saw a single DPS check. Granted you'll probably never see the likes of Demon Wall or Titan HM being a barrier ever again (although if there was a time to start doing that again it'd be in Stormblood where you'll be going on 4 years of people having experience with the game)

Granted, those DPS checks now basically no longer exist, but they did during the start of Heavensward with people not being able to prioritize adds in Ravana or Bismarck snakes. (Let's not forget things like pre-nerf Steps of Faith that still makes people quit it to this day. I'll also still see people quit Sephirot if they see someone with a newbie bonus.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom