• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demon Wall was a harrowing experience as a fresh 50 back in the day. The first time we killed the bastard felt like a real accomplishment, because that shit was hardcore with the splat growing ever closer and then the bees coming out.

Come to think of it, FFXIV's obsession with fatal bees started here.

Squishy3

Demon Wall was a harrowing experience as a fresh 50 back in the day. The first time we killed the bastard felt like a real accomplishment, because that shit was hardcore with the splat growing ever closer and then the bees coming out.

It all started with Qarn and Cutter's Cry, where Qarn has the first Final Sting and Cutter's Cry has the shrapnel bombs that instakill you if you don't dodge the AOE.

I hope they add tutorials explaining what rotations are and stuff but no matter what they do people like the Black Mage who spams Fire 3 over and over again while cursing at anyone who says anything will never truly disappear.

Never.

I hope they add tutorials explaining what rotations are and stuff but no matter what they do people like the Black Mage who spams Fire 3 over and over again while cursing at anyone who says anything will never truly disappear.

Never.

Woah, look at this lucky one over here. THEIR black mages cast a fire spell more than once in a row.
¬_¬

Ken

Never.

i think yoshiP said they'll never tell players about rotations since it implies a single way to play...or something

i think it was back when people were complaining about MCH

Squishy3

Is the void between starting players and people down the path that huge? I'm in the 20s, and it seems tolerable for me so far.

But then again, the only thing I've really been forced to do with others are Guildleves, so I'm sure I've done four of the simplest group quests in the game. :p
Basically, as it stands now, when hit level 50, you need to go through all the 2.1-2.55 quests to get to Heavensward, and begin leveling from 50-60. (Although you will likely be at a level advantage going into Heavensward if you keep up with the leveling roulette.) and then after hitting 60 you need to start gearing up and going through the 3.1-3.55 stuff to access Stormblood. If they keep the gating for each expansion, this will lead to a lot of people hearing the hype about each subsequent expansion, then realizing they won't be able to do anything level appropriate with their friends for a long period of time.

However, much like what they did for ARR, they will increase the amount of EXP the Heavensward main scenario quests give once Stormblood is released and upon completing your level 60 job quest receive the item level 210 job armor and give out the lore gear towards the end of the MSQ. I would normally say they'd go with the upgraded Yasha gear from the 60 job quest and give the upgraded Eso gear from later but Sophia is 220 to enter and the 3.5 dungeons will probably be 220 to enter since they've been going up by 10 for each dungeon per patch. (3.55's trial assuming there is one) will probably be 235 to enter, since the normal versions have been based on the item level from the extreme version from the last patch.

I'm personally not a jump potion supporter. I think this isn't a great thing considering you can buy multiple job potions and it isn't a restriction on just 1. I think now for savage people can just play on the alt they want to bypass the weekly limit, right? Idk, it just sounds a bit irksome to me.

Jump potions are kinda dicey but the other option is never let the community grow and end up free to play. And free to play would kill this game, like completely. I'm for the jump potion even if I would prefer them never adding it, but the game growing is for the better.

Is the void between starting players and people down the path that huge? I'm in the 20s, and it seems tolerable for me so far.

But then again, the only thing I've really been forced to do with others are Guildleves, so I'm sure I've done four of the simplest group quests in the game. :p

So for me I kinda view the leveling up process as a tutorial. Like don't get me wrong there's tons of great stuff to do, but it goes slow enough you learn what each skill you have does. So by the time you hit level 50, you would be like "I could build my own rotation because I have a full understanding of my character". There are people who get carried and just never learn their stuff, because as a multiplayer game it's just possible every group can make up the one bad player. But generally I would say it's more attitude than skill, the fear being will the jump people decide to actually learn it. When I never played an mmo, wow scared me because I saw like 40 moves and I was like "how the hell can you learn this game", the leveling process makes sense.

But this problem can easily be fixed if they are revamping the combat or hell just have a really good tutorial, but then they miss out on story and that really doesn't matter. But to me it's a shame, to play this game and miss out on the writing just hurts me.

It all started with Qarn and Cutter's Cry, where Qarn has the first Final Sting and Cutter's Cry has the shrapnel bombs that instakill you if you don't dodge the AOE.

Oh man, I remember original Qarn. It was an optional leveling dungeon even at launch. The first time we got to that first boss with the bees, that was crazy when we realized what we had to do and were trying to burn the bees down before Final Sting while avoiding the Doom.

Original ARR had some really difficult content during leveling and at initial endgame, with Demon Wall and Titan HM. The Primals as a whole were pretty strong challenges through the whole ARR era. The EX versions of Garuda, Titan, Ifrit, Ultima, Reviathan, Ramuh, and King Mog all required party coordination, awareness of mechanics, and good party DPS when they were newly released content.

So for me I kinda view the leveling up process as a tutorial. Like don't get me wrong there's tons of great stuff to do, but it goes slow enough you learn what each skill you have does. So by the time you hit level 50, you would be like "I could build my own rotation because I have a full understanding of my character". There are people who get carried and just never learn their stuff, because as a multiplayer game it's just possible every group can make up the one bad player. But generally I would say it's more attitude than skill, the fear being will the jump people decide to actually learn it. When I never played an mmo, wow scared me because I saw like 40 moves and I was like "how the hell can you learn this game", the leveling process makes sense.

But this problem can easily be fixed if they are revamping the combat or hell just have a really good tutorial, but then they miss out on story and that really doesn't matter. But to me it's a shame, to play this game and miss out on the writing just hurts me.
That's what supposed to happen.

What actually happens is you get the dragoon that does nothing but HT>TT combo because leveling content is braindead and he won't ever need to use anything else to get to 60.

There's two types of combat class players in this game, the ones that want to learn and the ones that don't give a shit. People who want to learn will already have read guides and figured out their jobs long before they have the abilities unlocked while the people that don't care never will do anything but the bare basics. Jump potions will change nothing about this because the guy that wants to learn can easily take a fully leveled job and play around with it while the latter will just spam Thrue Thrust over and over and tell you stuff like "my sub my way" if you call him out on it.

This is for the longevity of the game's health, so overall, I'm not too bothered. Online games don't die due to bad players; they die due to not enough players. We'll always have some baddies among the player base; a jump potion isn't going to change that. Those that are invested will take the time to learn how to play and improve, while those who just wanna zerg their way through content will keep on zerging. I want FFXIV to continue to succeed and if this is what it takes in the rough climate we all live in, so be it.

Thorgal

about the fear of the difference of skill gap between a player using said potion vs a vet :

I have always held the idea that if someone wants to be genuinely good not just at ff14 but at any game regardless on when people start it they will look stuff up and practice to get better . they want and will in time " Git gud .

if they are a player who doesn't give a single crap about getting better at the game it isn't going to matter if they start at level 1 and spam ice 1 all day or they straight up jump to lvl 60 and refuse to use enochian or tank stance etc they will still be equally crap at the game .

no amount of learning missions shoved down those people's throats will help make them better because they simply don't care .

This is for the longevity of the game's health, so overall, I'm not too bothered. Online games don't die due to bad players; they die due to not enough players. We'll always have some baddies among the player base; a jump potion isn't going to change that. Those that are invested will take the time to learn how to play and improve, while those who just wanna zerg their way through content will keep on zerging. I want FFXIV to continue to succeed and if this is what it takes in the rough climate we all live in, so be it.

Yeah, this is the way I feel about this. In FFXI, we always raged about "Casuals" and gilbuyers who simply paid for Astral Flow leveling or later, sat around in Abyssea zones collecting EXP, because they'd still be completely worthless without the skill levels, and you couldn't trust them to fill that up for their level to catch up any time soon. But then, you can't really stop them from doing that, anyway.

Making new players or returning players play through all of that content also may keep that older content somewhat relevant, but it doesn't help retention at all, except, maybe, in the case of people w ho refuse to use a jump potion on principle.

If you build it, they will use it, I think. People can always LEARN to play their job as long as you don't treat them like shit and they don't treat people who try to help them like shit.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Coming back to the game after a few years and leveling from 50 to 60 didn't seem to bad on my first job. MSQ and side quests.

Now I'm doing Dragoon and 1-50 was cake, but the exp jump from 50-60 is a pain.

Thorgal

Looking stylish af .

ffxiv_dx112016-12-171a0snq.jpg

RDreamer

Since I just beat FFXV I think I'm going to be getting into this now. How do I join the GAF free company? I filled out the web thing a week or two ago. In game my character's name is Razashi Kanar. I started in Thanalan as a Thaumaturge.

Okay, I can't figure out what I've done. I'm trying to set up my hotbars on PC to match my PS4 setup. I clicked something and now bar 1 and 3 are the same. If I move something on 1, it does it on 3 also, and vice versa. I cannot figure out what I did. Please send help.

garath

Was a good day yesterday. Finished level 50 in PotD with my level 20 gld lol. Not a lot of lvl 60 skills for gld. Got some good practice tanking in floors 41-50.

Now to work on maurader and unlock warrior. I like tanking much more than dps so I'll stick with that and let the 46 ninja chill for a bit.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Okay, I can't figure out what I've done. I'm trying to set up my hotbars on PC to match my PS4 setup. I clicked something and now bar 1 and 3 are the same. If I move something on 1, it does it on 3 also, and vice versa. I cannot figure out what I did. Please send help.
Hit Shift + 1 if you haven't done any custom keybinding. The first hotbar can cycle through to your other hotbars using shift + num or the arrows to the left of it.

Since I just beat FFXV I think I'm going to be getting into this now. How do I join the GAF free company? I filled out the web thing a week or two ago. In game my character's name is Razashi Kanar. I started in Thanalan as a Thaumaturge.

An officer (?) or higher ranked player in the FC needs to allow you in then if you submitted the application on Guildworks.

Redx508

you have to submit a application ingame like in the OP or send me a pm in game (Red Xiii) when i'm online.

i did see your name on guildwork but never saw you online. lol

are you online now?

Oh, and I really hope the bigger memory pool will allow them to make it so our minions can be present even while we have either our companion or our mount summoned. Seriously. I want to see my minion at all times.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Why does the GAF FC have people register on the site again? I never understood that.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Apparently the Songbirds are in the city-states during this event. Ulala in Ul'dah, Masha in Gridania and best girl Narumi-chan in Limsa at the Aftcastle.

Fou-Lu

I can't decide what to do with my character now that I have decided to trick myself into playing again. He is level 31 Gladiator/Paladin, level 15 Conjurer and level 10 Rogue. I am not even sure if I want to play any of those classes. I like tanking, but the pressure gets to me a bit and I feel so awful when I mess up and get the team killed, so I imagine it would be even worse being healer, but I just don't see myself as a DPS player either. Maybe I should just scrap it and go Bard so I can be support and DPS. Hmm...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You are forgetting being with a nub group doing Qarn.

I find the history of 1.0 fascinating and shocking.

How on fucking earth.

The creator of the video did a great job incorporating feedback. This video was leagues better than the first.

His 'persona' in the first was almost insufferable and took away from the actual goal/content of what he was making

Levito

Banned
Kind of curious: of all the single player Final Fantasy games, which one do you all think influenced XIV the most?

This could be either story, art direction, or whatever element you can think of. I'm just curious what XIV players think.

dramatis

Kind of curious: of all the single player Final Fantasy games, which one do you all think influenced XIV the most?

This could be either story, art direction, or whatever element you can think of. I'm just curious what XIV players think.
FF12.

Of course, if not single player, the undeniable influence of 11 is present.

As someone that used to play every FF game that came out before the spinoff stuff happened with XIII and is somewhat of an MMO aficionado, it isn't really so much influenced by any single solo player Final Fantasy game as it is a cumulative product of decades of design decisions, gameplay mechanics, storytelling devices, and so on.

The largest clear influence to me is Final Fantasy XI, which I still think has the best storytelling in an MMORPG. XIV doesn't shine as brightly to me, but it still carries the same flavor, with more humor in my opinion. Other clear MMO influences are World of Warcraft and adapting several smaller but exceptional elements from otherwise underwhelming or forgotten games, like the FATE system being almost a direct lift from the titular Rifts in RIFT.

It isn't just WoW with a Final Fantasy skin, which I think a lot of players superficially make as their first impression. It does have a lot of very carefully crafted Final Fanservice in terms of how things look, though. It has what I consider to be the hallmark of a good and lasting MMO; crib what works in other games, make it uniquely yours, and make it work within the framework you created. That's how WoW got started, too.

The ties between XI and XIV are so strong that XIV can be enjoyed on a second layer if you did play that, but you won't miss it if you didn't.

aceface

FF12.

Of course, if not single player, the undeniable influence of 11 is present.

This ^^

A lot of the staff from FF12 now works on FF14. At the last fan fest YoshiP basically went into fanboy mode and said that he strives to make games as good as Matsuno.

Of course it's also well known that Yoshi is a WoW nut as well and you can undoubtedly see that influence.

I had very little experience with FFXI but outside of lore/races I don't see a lot of carryover between that and FFXIV ARR onward in terms of the way the two games play. The battle systems in particular seem very different, and FFXIV added a lot of conveniences to make things easier for casual players (thank god). But, maybe those who played both extensively can correct me on that.

Slater

Banned

12, which is perfect for people who want to see where a lot of 14 came from with the remaster coming out.

Also some 11, but 11 didn't get a decent story going till its second expansion, 14 just needed the 2.X patches to get it going story wise.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
As someone who played FFXI for a decade, there really isn't much comparison between FFXI and FFXIV.

The FFXIV races are clearly just knock offs of the FFXI races, but other than Lalafells being infinitely inferior to Taru-Tarus, they're pretty much interchangeable (plus both genders for Roe and Miquote).

Gameplay is totally different, with FFXIV much more focused on single player. FFXI, you pretty much needed a great LS to do the best content. Boss battles also relied on skillchains. Precise order and timing of weapon skill from different players, capped with magical attacks on an enemy by mages as they concluded.

FFXI also required precise macros that included gear swaps. Every job would have 4+ sets of gear. Not as options, but as needed in normal play. As a summoner I had...

1. Base gear for when a Summon was out to minimize MP loss (avatars cost MP to have out, but with great gear you could still get MP back with an avatar out)

2. Bloodpact timer gear. This was a full set equipped for a half second when I activated a Avatar weaponskill

3/4. Bloodpact landing gear. Used a half second after previous set for when the avatar skill actually lands against the enemy. I had a set for physical attacks and magical attacks.

5. Emergency healing gear. Gear to beef up healing potency if needed.

While purely subjective, I do think FFXI had a much stronger storyline than FFXIV has, and I like FFXIV's story quite a bit, but FFXI was something special. Especially Chains of Promathia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom