• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

creid

I've been having an issue with my 360 wireless controller (using the official MS adapter). My character will sometimes continue running in a direction for a second or two after I've moved the analog stick in a different direction. Seems to happen about once every 10 minutes or so. I'm using a new PC with Windows 10, so I'm not sure if it's a new bug with FFXIV 3.5, or an issue with Windows 10.

I've played 10+ hours of Witcher 3 on this PC with this controller without the issue happening, so it seems to be specific to FFXIV. Anyone ever hear of anything similar?

iammeiam

I've played 10+ hours of Witcher 3 on this PC with this controller without the issue happening, so it seems to be specific to FFXIV. Anyone ever hear of anything similar?

The way FFXIV handles controllers on PC is kind of dumb. Any time Device Manager refreshes, it essentially re-establishes controller connection, and in the timespan between when it shuts down communication and starts again if you were already moving you'll continue running that direction. If you're just trying to hit buttons, they won't register. Your controller is fine, FFXIV just views any change in Device Manager as a reason to re-scan for controllers and reconnect to one.

I've had this happen a few times and for me it's usually media server related. I had a PC in another room with PlayOn installed, and when it was on the PC I run FFXIV on would connect and disconnect to it every few minutes and Windows would refresh Device Manager and I'd end up autorunning off cliffs and stuff. On somebody else's network one of those media server sticks did the same thing.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
What is minuet? I literally just became a Bard, am I missing out on something?
Wanderer's Minuet was a mistake it's nothing but trash.

I got used to playing with WM activated but that doesn't mean I like it anymore than I did back when it was introduced and if I had it my way I would still vote for the damm thing to be removed from the game.

studyguy

So I went like 2 months without realizing I still had prototype alex gear stuck on my hands and feet for my tank preset. I just... never noticed. Ran Dun Saith yesterday, got the 260 piece and was like why the fuck is this better than 27... oh god

Jayhawk

Why did they clone my character to become one of the Dun Scaith story NPCs? I wore the Thavnairian Vest + eyepatch combination for a decent chunk of time last year. I should remove the scar over the same eye on my character, it doesn't match with the Garo MNK mask.

I also have enough marks to start working towards my second Garo PVP set, but I haven't decided on what to pick yet.

Square Enix sent an email with pre-purchase code for merchandise since I'll be attending the EU fan fest. I'm considering the Nanamo figure that you can see here. https://merchfanfest.eu.square-enix.com/eu

I am also running some 3.3 and 3.4 stuff tonight with Sarcasm, so he can get first time clear bonus tomes. If anybody else on Ultros needs tomes for gear or any of their relic steps, feel free to tag along. Still have the first time bonus for one 3.3 dungeon, one 3.4 dungeon, plus all raids and trials from 3.4.

Zomba13

Non-MNK melee classes drew the short straw for the Garo gear IMO, really not a fan of that bulky armour. I wish the caster gear looked as good as the healer outfit, that's by far my favourite. I may actually get my AST to 60 just for that set. I wish my SMN could look that good, I'm not too into the caster set.

First I have to finish the story, then sidequests (need /spectacles), then Dun Scaith, then Zurvan, and THEN finally I'll try PVP for the first time.

Nah man, see that DRG stuff? The little shoulder cape/flag things? Looks amazing.

EDIT: Also, I like how the MCH gun is Bayonetta's Scarborough Fair
OvEkGE9.png

creid

The way FFXIV handles controllers on PC is kind of dumb. Any time Device Manager refreshes, it essentially re-establishes controller connection, and in the timespan between when it shuts down communication and starts again if you were already moving you'll continue running that direction. If you're just trying to hit buttons, they won't register. Your controller is fine, FFXIV just views any change in Device Manager as a reason to re-scan for controllers and reconnect to one.

I've had this happen a few times and for me it's usually media server related. I had a PC in another room with PlayOn installed, and when it was on the PC I run FFXIV on would connect and disconnect to it every few minutes and Windows would refresh Device Manager and I'd end up autorunning off cliffs and stuff. On somebody else's network one of those media server sticks did the same thing.
Thanks, I'll take a look around and see if I can find anything that would be causing it.

the_id

Hey guys, is it worth doing the Zodiac Braves weapon quest? I'm loving this game and working my way towards Heavensward. Currently doing leviathan quest. Just taking my time.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hey guys, is it worth doing the Zodiac Braves weapon quest? I'm loving this game and working my way towards Heavensward. Currently doing leviathan quest. Just taking my time.

AFAIK there is no practical reason to do any of the level 50 relic quests, other than getting appearances you like to glamour. You get ilvl 90/110 gear from the MSQ's on the way to Heavensward so from a character power standpoint they are certainly not worth the time investment.

the_id

AFAIK there is no practical reason to do any of the level 50 relic quests, other than getting appearances you like to glamour. You get ilvl 90/110 gear from the MSQ's on the way to Heavensward so from a character power standpoint they are certainly not worth the time investment.

Thanks! I guess I'll skip it.

wamberz1

Nah man, see that DRG stuff? The little shoulder cape/flag things? Looks amazing.

EDIT: Also, I like how the MCH gun is Bayonetta's Scarborough Fair
OvEkGE9.png
Can't wait to get this, this gun is going to be the king of looking stupid with Gauss barrel on

Also yeah we can put to Garo MNK weapons in the "MNK weapons that don't look stupid as hell" bin.

Cmagus

UMMM. We cleared Zurvan ex in like literally a minute? What the hell happened? Someone had to be hacking or something, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36TYez76yaU

It was just a learning party in the PF. I'm still confused. So unsatisfying to clear like this omg

There is an exploit somehow that let's people use POTD pomanders in other fights. The same thing happened the other day where someone was able to transform into a Manticore during PVP, the Ninja was most likely using something like that or using the exploit to bring other items in.

iammeiam

Looks like that Gwen Ninja person is going to get banned.

Hopefully the other people in that party don't get dragged down with him.

They shouldn't be; he also used a strength pomander in A10S in something that ended up getting uploaded to FFLogs, so my guess is SE will be able to tell pretty clearly from his combat logs that this is something he repeatedly did that's unrelated to whoever was in his PUG at the time.

Zomba13

Can't wait to get this, this gun is going to be the king of looking stupid with Gauss barrel on

Also yeah we can put to Garo MNK weapons in the "MNK weapons that don't look stupid as hell" bin.

Oh yeah, the MNK wep looks great. Similar to the MNK Eikon wep which was also great.

Thanks everyone who joined the gaf runs. maybe we can setup a run for next week reset day.

here's the twitch highlight

3pm run https://www.twitch.tv/redx508/v/115666547 (5:15) and (27:45) for lol's

9pm run https://www.twitch.tv/redx508/v/115673089 (12:20) (35:50) the last DRK noire (44:50)< gif

Three things I did wrong there.

1. Didn't provoke it off of you.
2. Got hit by 2 of the orbs later.
3. Didn't have Scourge on him. (can't remember if Salted Earth was off CD).

Seeing it again it's obvious I could have had it if I didn't make dumb mistakes.

Still, the all GAF run was pretty fun and there was a clutch win at 9 minutes left on the clock so I guess overall it was a positive experience.

They shouldn't be; he also used a strength pomander in A10S in something that ended up getting uploaded to FFLogs, so my guess is SE will be able to tell pretty clearly from his combat logs that this is something he repeatedly did that's unrelated to whoever was in his PUG at the time.

Good to know. I was just thinking it would suck to get penalized because of someone else using exploits.

He got banned on FFlogs, not in the game. I don't think that BLM who was using connection exploits got banned by SE either...

I wonder why though. It seems like a clear cut case for a suspension or ban to me. Perhaps they treat it similar to things like item duping which I don't think end in bans but usually having the items removed from inventory/market/whatever. I guess it won't matter after the hotfix is applied.

What's the best way to get MGP for the Gold Saucer?

Do the daily mini cactpots, three entries in the weekly cactpot, and the challenge log entries weekly. That can be well into six-figure MGP amounts.

If you wanna grind more do chocobo races. I hate them, though, so I tend to just do the daily/weekly stuff.

If Samurai is really going to be the next job and is a tank I hope they take a page from WAR and design the tank stance to be something that isn't a percentage damage reduction but something that requires interaction from their abilities or healers or something.

I never heard about these exploits about killing things in a min, honestly. This game is honestly very simple to the core and I'm not sure why anyone would cheat. That being said, I sure hope I don't run into this as I got Zurvan ex down to 3rd phase last night.

Gattsu25

Banned
Running into a problem.

I re-upped on the game and am not able to redownload it.

Running into that "Unable to download patch files. [30413] [25008] [20495]" error that appears to be somewhat common judging by google searches.

F94eeyg.jpg

However, all of the solutions appear to end in using a VPN to resolve this issue where Square won't even let you download the game you paid for.

Anyone run into this and resolved it without using a VPN?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Did quite a few Zurvan Ex runs yesterdays with RF groups, but haven't managed to clear it yet. Best I got to was 24%, but it's hard to clear when every group disbands after 2 failures. Still feels the easiest of the recent ex trials.

Running into a problem.

I re-upped on the game and am not able to redownload it.

Running into that "Unable to download patch files. [30413] [25008] [20495]" error that appears to be somewhat common judging by google searches.

F94eeyg.jpg

However, all of the solutions appear to end in using a VPN to resolve this issue where Square won't even let you download the game you paid for.

Anyone run into this and resolved it without using a VPN?

I had the same issue. I fixed it by changing the DSN address in my PS4 to one from Japan. Specifically, this one: 221.186.113.106

That information was also in the OP, by the way.

Qvoth

got into 1st loop of last phase on my very 1st practice RF with 1st phase practice chosen
then i chose duty completion RF and got into <10%
i tried some aim to clear PFs next and seems like PF players are actually worse than RF lol
hopefully peko or okome gave out macro's soon, japanese always follows them

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well, I didn't realize you need to do those 3 hard Primal trials before starting the 2.5 quests, but luckily the queues were short. I'm into the last leg of ARR quests and Heavensward is happily in sight. I'm definitely not planning to rush to 60 asap, I'm definitely looking forward to unlocking a few jobs and trying out the 2 HW ones. I might even delve into some crafting stuff.

Also it's real cool that the summoner weapon you get from the 2.4 quests is the first one I've had so far with a particle effect. It's some cool stuff.

(not my screenshot):

I guess hardest to play in terms of rotation difficulty and things to keep track of and make use of at the right moments.

Maybe dragoon. Rotation includes lots of buttons, quite a few positionals and lots of things to keep track of. Tried it, realized ninjas have it easy as far as rotation goes (just that lag issue...)

B.K.

I am AWFUL at tanking. I need to switch to a DD class. I died three or four times in Haukke Manor because of my awful tanking. I didn't think we were going to make it through the boss fight.

wamberz1

I guess hardest to play in terms of rotation difficulty and things to keep track of and make use of at the right moments.
I've only played like half of the classes (and none of the healers), and most of those were through palace of the dead, so my opinion probably isn't worth shit... but so far MCH has been the hardest for me to learn/get used to.
You need to keep track of:
- If your hot shot/lead shot is up at all times
- Your combo system, ammo count and procs (making sure you don't waste ammo on hot shots/lead shots unless you have to/avoiding using ammo on a lead shot, stuff like that)
- your entire turret system. Is it up and hitting the boss? Usually it's set it and forget it, but some knock your turret back. Can I hypercharge? Should I use it know, or save it for wildfire? Or for team burst?
- How is my teams MP/TP doing? Should I promote and give them some, or will it not be worth the DPS loss? Is it dire enough that I should hypercharge?
- Are any of my like 100 OGCD's up? Should I use them now or save them for wildfire?
- Dealing with wildfire in general. The boss going invincible right before it detonates massively sucks, so you need to use it when you know the boss is sticking around for a while. An example of it not going off is Titan EX. Usually he jumps up right as it det's.
- Deciding if downtime is long enough to justify promoting your turret temporarily.
- Knowing if you have to use one of your many utilities (stun/bind/slow/silence/knockback)
- Using your dismantle/mind rend at the right times. Yeah, it's only 5%, but that's better than 0%.

Gattsu25

Banned
I had the same issue. I fixed it by changing the DSN address in my PS4 to one from Japan. Specifically, this one: 221.186.113.106

That information was also in the OP, by the way.

Thanks, that took care of it.

OP should probably be updated to indicate that the method also works for PC users who are having problems patching.

Maybe dragoon. Rotation includes lots of buttons, quite a few positionals and lots of things to keep track of. Tried it, realized ninjas have it easy as far as rotation goes (just that lag issue...)

I guess that's with the Heavenward additions? I have a 50 Dragoon and they don't seem to be too bad but I have heard a few things about Blood of the Dragon and getting in Geirskoguls which is the line AOE iirc.

sch/smn (they level up at the same time) or ast probably

I have that at 57 right now. I admit that it can get a little overwhelming at times with all the dots and buffs/abilities, in addition to Scholar being better able to juggle healing and DPSing for long periods of time.

I've only played like half of the classes (and none of the healers), and most of those were through palace of the dead, so my opinion probably isn't worth shit... but so far MCH has been the hardest for me to learn/get used to.
You need to keep track of:
- If your hot shot/lead shot is up at all times
- Your combo system, ammo count and procs (making sure you don't waste ammo on hot shots/lead shots unless you have to/avoiding using ammo on a lead shot, stuff like that)
- your entire turret system. Is it up and hitting the boss? Usually it's set it and forget it, but some knock your turret back. Can I hypercharge? Should I use it know, or save it for wildfire? Or for team burst?
- How is my teams MP/TP doing? Should I promote and give them some, or will it not be worth the DPS loss? Is it dire enough that I should hypercharge?
- Are any of my like 100 OGCD's up? Should I use them now or save them for wildfire?
- Dealing with wildfire in general. The boss going invincible right before it detonates massively sucks, so you need to use it when you know the boss is sticking around for a while. An example of it not going off is Titan EX. Usually he jumps up right as it det's.
- Deciding if downtime is long enough to justify promoting your turret temporarily.
- Knowing if you have to use one of your many utilities (stun/bind/slow/silence/knockback)
- Using your dismantle/mind rend at the right times. Yeah, it's only 5%, but that's better than 0%.

I've played a bit of Machinist but only up to late 40s IIRC. I definitely had some trouble keeping track of the Hot Shot/Lead Shot and probably utilizing Wild Fire along with lining up reloads/damage buffs.

I was mainly asking because I wanted ideas on what to focus for a while. I tend to jump around to different jobs pretty often just for variety's sake so having some other opinions should help me narrow down my latest choice.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Once you break the skill floor on machinist (i.e. internalize how it works) it becomes braindead.

You have to keep track of your primary buff, but you also do that on SMN, DRG, BLM, BRD.
You have to keep track of your combo, but if you play tank or NIN you have to keep track of which combo you want to use, only jobs such as DRG and BLM are rigid in this sense.
OGCD game isn't particularly different from that of a NIN.
Wildfire is just a buff not unlike Raging Strikes or Hawk's Eye with a flavor, popping your stuff at the wrong time hurts other jobs just as much.

So really how is it different from being a ninja and having to track two dots of different lengths, your huton duration, whether slashing down is up and ninjutsu? How is popping a wildfire before the boss jumps different from popping enochinan before the boss jumps? It's not, every job has quite a few things you have to keep track of. I just hit 60 on NIN and despite being a pretty good bard/machinist I'm struggling with it, simply because I'm not used to its timings and don't have enough practice on it to internalize the mechanics of it in application to real fights.

Personally I'd be hard pressed to call any one job in the game particularly technical, but bard, white mage and paladin are slightly easier than the rest while dark knight and possibly astrologian are the hardest to get the best out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom