• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IaN_GAF

This may be a stupid question, and please do forgive me if so, but how important is it for players to be in a guild/build a group of people to run dungeons/raids with in this game?

Me and the misses like playing mmorpgs together but don't really have the schedules to be able to commit to regular "raid nights" and such that the likes of WoW required.

I guess what I'm asking is, can we play through the majority of the story content if we approach it as a sort of coop game?

Qvoth

This may be a stupid question, and please do forgive me if so, but how important is it for players to be in a guild/build a group of people to run dungeons/raids with in this game?

Me and the misses like playing mmorpgs together but don't really have the schedules to be able to commit to regular "raid nights" and such that the likes of WoW required.

I guess what I'm asking is, can we play through the majority of the story content if we approach it as a sort of coop game?

if you mean co-op as in just the 2 of you, then it's not possible because there are plenty of content where you will need to enter either as a light party (4 person content) or full party (8 person)
i suspect on some content you will probably have a long queue time, hours at least if it's content that nobody do anymore

Apoptomon

hot fix notes:
-An issue wherein fishing in Outer La Noscea could cause the server to crash.
*As a temporary measure against this issue, we have made fishing temporarily unavailable at North Bronze Lake in Outer La Noscea. The issue will be addressed sometime next week. In the meantime, the same fish can also be obtained at North Bronze Lake in Upper La Noscea, so we ask that fishing be performed there instead until the issue has been fixed.

That's weird, but okay... (What is in OLN that an avid angler could cause an apocalypse?)

Jaeyden

Raid finder and Party finder are your resources for doing content if you're not going in with a full pre-made party. Free Companies (guild) are absolutely not required in order to do almost all of the content in this game. That being said, nothing wrong with joining one. They are nice for socializing and having other people around to do things with. My Free Company doesn't require anyone to do anything except have fun and we have about 40 active members and it's pretty awesome watching people get together every night just to shoot the shit and help each other out.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I have no clue how I earned Faded Copy of Woe That is Madness

Went to MB, see only 1 sold for 2mil gil
I put it up too, not really into the Orchestration thing yet
Someone bought it...

The fuck?

Now there's four pieces, 1.9mil lowest 425mil gil the highest

People really want these that bad?

Lanrutcon

I guess hardest to play in terms of rotation difficulty and things to keep track of and make use of at the right moments.

Summoners would like a word with you.

Easy to get into, stupidly hard to completely optimise to the tick. It's the kind of class that required a shitload of experience and understanding to master in the absence of several UI mods. If it were WoW, you'd just mod the shit out of your UI to tell you when things are about to expire/tick/cap and life would be grand.

The thing about AST is to not fall into a pattern of JUST healing people. It is easy during boss fights to fall into that pattern and not make the fullest use of your skills.

I try not to simply be a DEF/ATK boosting AST. People really appreciate it when you also make sure they don't run out of mana or give them a TP boost. Both tanks taking heavy damage at same time or dps keep getting hit by aoes while the tank is low? Throw Synastry on the tank and make your life a bit easier.

These may seem obvious to people who play AST a lot but it is very easy to forget them in the heat of the moment.

Zalasta

Wait a minute...my GC is adders, I got into a match as Mael, won it but it count as a 3rd place loss because adders came in last in it? Why would I want to queue as mercenary in that case?

Village

Natural response to pure evil.
Nanamo can't be evil,

How would you react if a field of potatos suddenly became sentient and started talking to you?

I would be intruiged if anything, espically if they could weild weapons larger than themselves.

The reason I ask is because while yes, every race in ff trashes the other races, in lore and just the player themselves. Everyone seems to trash extra hard on lalafels, I wondered what could have happened. What evil Lalafel entity caused this disdain. What Lalafel loot mastered a bird, and caused this.

Speaking of which, I wish they could have played up possible racism in ishgard more. I play as an Au Ra, because i'm a man of particular Edgy taste. And when you do the DRK quests, from levels 50-60 your mentor makes mention of Au Ra being attacked because they reminded ishgard of dragons. I feel like their could have been more lines trying to decry my character's validity because of what I was.

On that note, I hope in the expansion ( though probably not ) there is more expansion on Au Ra. Yeah there are " tribes , but they don't seem to be from a set place... they just kind of exist all over eorzia it seems.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Wait a minute...my GC is adders, I got into a match as Mael, won it but it count as a 3rd place loss because adders came in last in it? Why would I want to queue as mercenary in that case?

All my freelancer wins have counted as wins.

Nanamo can't be evil,

I would be intruiged if anything, espically if they could weild weapons larger than themselves.

The reason I ask is because while yes, every race in ff trashes the other races, in lore and just the player themselves. Everyone seems to trash extra hard on lalafels, I wondered what could have happened. What evil Lalafel entity caused this disdain. What Lalafel loot mastered a bird, and caused this.
The other races are jealous of our ability to be just as good as them at our jobs despite the fact most of the monsters in the realm view us as a food source.

Admittedly many Lalas are themselves highly racist. I know I slap every tall race I see whenever I run a dungeon.

ebil

They didn't hotifx the Beast Tribes vendor bug, where you lose access to ARR's beastmen Gil vendors (Token vendors still remain available) after completing the new quest. So err... If you use these every now and then don't complete the quest.

Village

Nanamo uses an actual person as her own personal mount.

He's the coolest, though. And allows her to do this. You don't think he could eat her, even with one arm. No, its a mutual beneficial relationship. She gets carried around, he gets cool armor, everyone wins.

Except al ahmigo , their still under empire control.

Oh yeah, Shoutouts to griffin being the exact person I thought he was from the start

Heartfyre

Part of it is also because of the characters in the main story. Ul'dahns, particularly the lalas, don't come off as selfless paragons of morality. They're often self-centred to the point of destruction.

It's no surprise that they can be seen as duplicitous little gremlins, whether PC or NPC.

Ul'dah is the worst of all the city-states and unfortunately it does seem to be the fault of the Lalas that run that place because they are all corrupt as fuck and Nanamo is incompetent. I take great pains to not ever visit that city for anything.

All praise to Kan-E-Senna best girl and best ruler of the best city-state.

Wilsongt

Ul'dah is the worst of all the city-states and unfortunately it does seem to be the fault of the Lalas that run that place because they are all corrupt as fuck and Nanamo is incompetent. I take great pains to not ever visit that city for anything.

All praise to Kan-E-Senna best girl and best ruler of the best city-state.

That's not how you spell Merlwyb and Limsa Lominsa.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
why do folks hate lalafells so much

i missed the origin of this meme

It's weird and gross for a bunch of toddlers to be running around pretending they are adults. The other races shouldn't allow it.

aceface

Part of it is also because of the characters in the main story. Ul'dahns, particularly the lalas, don't come off as selfless paragons of morality. They're often self-centred to the point of destruction.

It's no surprise that they can be seen as duplicitous little gremlins, whether PC or NPC.

There's plenty of villains from the other races and it's not see as an indictment of that whole race. There's a certain highlander hyur who I hate quite a bunch right now for example.

It's weird and gross for a bunch of toddlers to be running around pretending they are adults. The other races shouldn't allow it.

It's weird and gross for a bunch of dudes to be running around as scantily clad catgirls.

Arkeband

Banned
The beast tribe end-quest was pretty lame, it's basically 45 minutes of flying from point to point for no reason (go to the lower left side of Azys Lla! Now fly to the upper right hand corner!") and then an ending that is just a rehash of previous jokes/cutscenes.

Oh well, at least it's past. I guess three beast tribes per expansion is now the lowered status quo going forward?

Wilsongt

The beast tribe end-quest was pretty lame, it's basically 45 minutes of flying from point to point for no reason (go to the lower left side of Azys Lla! Now fly to the upper right hand corner!") and then an ending that is just a rehash of previous jokes/cutscenes.

Oh well, at least it's past. I guess three beast tribes per expansion is now the lowered status quo going forward?

Moogles will return again.

You can't escape them.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Please stop comparing the wonderful and robust potato to the tragic mistake that is lalafel

OrionX

An inside source recently told me that "potato" is considered a racial slur amongst the Lalafell population. I'm new, so I still have a lot to learn about proper etiquette in Eorzea.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I can't stand Lalas, but I can say the same about all "small and cute" races in MMOs.
As for Lalas specifically, I still can't comprehend how so many of them are in positions of power. I'd expect that in a fantasy world, it would be the stronger races who rule and the small and weak ones can survive only if they live peacefully, like the hobbits in LotR. I know that Lalas are good at magic, but that part isn't really shown that much in the XIV's lore, I feel.

Anyway, Zurvan Ex down to 11%. I really should get some better equipment, ilv 253 seems a bit low to push phases.

Once you break the skill floor on machinist (i.e. internalize how it works) it becomes braindead.

You have to keep track of your primary buff, but you also do that on SMN, DRG, BLM, BRD.
You have to keep track of your combo, but if you play tank or NIN you have to keep track of which combo you want to use, only jobs such as DRG and BLM are rigid in this sense.
OGCD game isn't particularly different from that of a NIN.
Wildfire is just a buff not unlike Raging Strikes or Hawk's Eye with a flavor, popping your stuff at the wrong time hurts other jobs just as much.

So really how is it different from being a ninja and having to track two dots of different lengths, your huton duration, whether slashing down is up and ninjutsu? How is popping a wildfire before the boss jumps different from popping enochinan before the boss jumps? It's not, every job has quite a few things you have to keep track of. I just hit 60 on NIN and despite being a pretty good bard/machinist I'm struggling with it, simply because I'm not used to its timings and don't have enough practice on it to internalize the mechanics of it in application to real fights.

Personally I'd be hard pressed to call any one job in the game particularly technical, but bard, white mage and paladin are slightly easier than the rest while dark knight and possibly astrologian are the hardest to get the best out of.

Perhaps it due to familiarity that I feel like switching. I've played NIN for a while and don't feel that it's more difficult than MCH for example but that's likely due to me just being more familiar with its abilities and rotation. I guess I'm looking for something that requires high execution at a basic level. Something akin to doing combos in a fighting game where the timing is really strict, but I don't think that sort of thing exists in this game right now.

yeah drk is hard :(

Managing its mana can be a bit difficult at times I suppose. I think it more so than PLD encourages dropping your tank stance since that's required to use Blood Weapon to get all your mana back versus single targets, and if you don't do this then you have much less mana regain to fuel Dork Arts attacks.

Summoners would like a word with you.

Easy to get into, stupidly hard to completely optimise to the tick. It's the kind of class that required a shitload of experience and understanding to master in the absence of several UI mods. If it were WoW, you'd just mod the shit out of your UI to tell you when things are about to expire/tick/cap and life would be grand.

I'm definitely going to get Summoner to max. I really want to see what this Dreadwyrm Trance thing is since I heard it changes up your rotation quite a bit. I'll admit that I haven't really focused too much on optimization. I was more focusing on how things are difficult to use at a basic level but I'll definitely look into it.

I can't stand Lalas, but I can say the same about all "small and cute" races in MMOs.
As for Lalas specifically, I still can't comprehend how so many of them are in positions of power. I'd expect that in a fantasy world, it would be the stronger races who rule and the small and weak ones can survive only if they live peacefully, like the hobbits in LotR. I know that Lalas are good at magic, but that part isn't really shown that much in the XIV's lore, I feel.

Anyway, Zurvan Ex down to 11%. I really should get some better equipment, ilv 253 seems a bit low to push phases.
Helps being one of the first races to find an area and establish a power base. Ul'Dah is hot so I assume most Lalafells went there since I read that dislike cold places which is why there are almost no Lalafells In the Ishgard area.

dramatis

It's mostly in Ul'dah, which is the place where the Lalas rule.

Gridania and the Shroud is elf and padjal territory, though they can mostly only be there because some weird ass spirits in the Shroud allow them to be.

Limsa is ruled by a roe and it's full of roe and hyur pirates.

Ishgard is elfland again, though it makes sense since elves are dicks and they were dicks to the dragons.

There's a group of hyurs in Ul'dah because they're Ala Mhigo refugees, so Ala Mhigo was basically the land of the failed hyur monks like Bookey Oyama.

Miqote rule nothing cuz they suck

Overall I think the group that gets the biggest shaft really is Aura, having been added in HW but having very low representation in main story and in Ishgard. Probably Doman was Aura-ruled, but they're bloody Garlean now.

wamberz1

It's mostly in Ul'dah, which is the place where the Lalas rule.

Gridania and the Shroud is elf and padjal territory, though they can mostly only be there because some weird ass spirits in the Shroud allow them to be.

Limsa is ruled by a roe and it's full of roe and hyur pirates.

Ishgard is elfland again, though it makes sense since elves are dicks and they were dicks to the dragons.

There's a group of hyurs in Ul'dah because they're Ala Mhigo refugees, so Ala Mhigo was basically the land of the failed hyur monks like Bookey Oyama.

Miqote rule nothing cuz they suck

Overall I think the group that gets the biggest shaft really is Aura, having been added in HW but having very low representation in main story and in Ishgard. Probably Doman was Aura-ruled, but they're bloody Garlean now.
It probably won't happen cause it's so far away, but I hope we get to see a bit of Doma in Stormblood or it's patches. It would fit into the whole "Free people from the garlean rule" thing. Even if it's just a few areas I think it would be really cool.

IvorB

Hey guys, is it worth doing the Zodiac Braves weapon quest? I'm loving this game and working my way towards Heavensward. Currently doing leviathan quest. Just taking my time.

There are two cool fights at the start of the old relic quest. I reckon it's worth doing for those.

aceface

but it's less weird and less gross for people to run around as scantily-clad potatoes?

Yes. Not speaking to you specifically here Philip, but in general: Lalafells don't invite a sexualized view. I feel like if you view lalafells in a sexualized way, that's on you. They are amorphous potatoes and don't even have a gendered characteristics (other than the xtech laugh, which I agree is horrible). They are the small, cute race. Glamours are small, pixilated, and generally look horrible on a lala. Except for sunglasses, no one can rock sunglasses like a lalafell.

On the other hand one thing that does make me feel gross and weird about this game is the commodification of sexuality and female bodies. One of the main catgirl emotes is to lean over and stick their butt in the air. One of the way the devs keep people subbed is introducing new sexy glamours. It's not even a subtle thing. I mean, FFXIV is not as bad as other games in this regard but it is there.

Now far be it from me to call out others for what they want to play and in general I don't care. I won't call you out for your male power fantasy or sexy girl fantasy if you don't call me out for me non-gendered blank slate potato.

iammeiam

I feel like the naked catgirl vs lala debate always skips the true travesty: Female Au'ra emotes. Anime as hell and not in the good way.

Eldren

E.V.I.L.

Every
Villain
Is
Lalafells

Finished the MSQ last night, Baelsar's Wall >>>>> Sohm Al. Had a DRG who tunnel-visioned the entire dungeon but it was still fun. Looking forward to seeing how they resolve the storyline in 3.55. I think my group will be doing Dun Scaith at the weekend so tonight and tomorrow will be finishing up Scholasticate and Hildibrand sidequests and I might dip my toes into the pvp waters.

Cmagus

QqZbhpf.png

Anyone care to explain why there is a giant wall blocking the lalafell ledge? as if the lalafell racism isn't enough now you're telling me they're building a wall? let me guess the lalafells will pay for it as well, disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom