• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

DRG is my new alt for this tier so take with grain of salt but: Move BotD earlier in the rotation (post-ID) and you can do 3 in the opening 48s and BotD pops before CT after the drop. You can also skip the Phleb refresh since the drop happens before it ticks enough to balance out reapplying it.

For what it's worth, you have roughly 75-76s of uptime on Zurvan in 80 seconds of the fight to do roughly 1,090,000 damage. In the first 48 seconds, there's 36,000 total damage to the tank (4 autos) assuming nobody gets hit with anything until Purge into the drop so not a lot of reason you can't have full tank damage + full healer damage as well. 8 anything that can clear their SSS for Zurvan EX (even if last second clears) has enough damage to do this.
I've been doing BoTD after Impulse Drive ever since Bismarck EX lol. I guess I just need to do the second Geirskogul earlier than I've been doing, then, since I always see it coming off CD right before the drop but there's still a second or two on it right before the drop happens.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Dots tick through timestop.
You should hypercharge between the first and the second inception, I think all the physical damage dealers including WAR will also burst here although I've seen NINs trick attack before the first inception cast so I'm not entirely sure.
Thanks. I saw the timers tick during timestop (since Alex itself isn't stopped), but wasn't sure.

As for the hypercharge, to be more accurate, right now HC comes back after the first gravitational anomaly > stack damage thing comes out, and there's not much time between that and second inception. That's why I'm reluctant to use it there.

Though if I pop HC right after the ultimate (suboptimal because timestop happens too soon there), it'll come back right before timegates. Then I'll be able to use it again at the start of timegate phase, and then maaaayyybee it'll come back at a better time right after first inception? I'll have to look at some timelines.

iammeiam

- 5 ammo opener on pull. Barrel naturally comes off when you need to move for the prey markers, then back on to refresh Lead shot.
- delaying quick reload maybe one GCD guarantees a proc to move with when gravitational anomaly comes out, letting you dodge before you can take your barrel off again. Probably worth it.
- Take off barrel soon after to dodge sacrament and get back into position. Refresh hot shot before boss disappears.
I think my timings are slightly off yours because I do the max potency Wildfire 5 ammo opener (the one that leads with GB off'd Slug Shot so you can roll into a proc'd Clean Shot the first GCD post-WF application), and group positioning will also make a huge difference here. I start with GB off, it goes up after Hot Shot, stays up until the tail end of WildFire, then goes off for a GCD to fit in the last Split and potential Auto, then back on. Mine goes back on at around 25 seconds, and the Gravi cast is at around 40-41 seconds so I can turn it back off again to dodge if I choose/don't have a proc handy. We do the bait and run mid/inside the boss's hotbox, so if it's Radiant I'm done moving. If it's normal Sacrament, I might leave GB off another GCD or two to get a proc to allow movement for the dodge/turn it off there if I got proc carried through the prior.

- pop hypercharge as soon as it comes back so that depending on kill times, it may be available right after the boss comes back. This is also roughly when the last two adds spawn so it contributes to the next few lead shots.

This works really conveniently at first, but post-DPS-weapons (which we got all at once because literally 8 kills with 0 usable DPS drops so we all paged everything out for week 9) the post-ultimate Hypercharge is going to go weird. I burn my first two hypercharges on CD, but if you're killing the adds fast enough the third one will come up around the time Temporal Stasis casts. If it comes up before you can pop it and continue on mostly as normal (the turret gets frozen as well, so you don't lose Hyper debuff uptime, if the turret had 10s left on Hyper when Stasis cast finishes, it's still going to have 10s left after stasis of reapplying the debuff); if you still have 2s remaining on the recast when Stasis hits, you're going to be stuck waiting out the full Stasis pause before the last 2 seconds can tick down and it can come off CD.

It's still absolutely worth doing, but speeding up kill times on the Might and Time will eventually make the third Hypercharge a little awkward. I do now sit on it for a few seconds if I don't think anybody will be in melee range immediately to maximize group usage of the debuff, but I miss the big burst window post-ultimate and it is sad.

- barrel comes off naturally a little after first time stop > holy stuff, but sometimes I leave it off until the next set of debuffs appear so that I can move into position without losing casts. Barrel comes back on early if I get a proc. Lead shot boss as soon as I'm in position (I think it still ticks and does damage while time stop is active)

It does continue to tick. Stasis for MCH for the most part is a benefit since none of our stuff falls out of alignment and Lead Shot continues to do its thing.

- B4b + HE + RRR are back roughly after the Holy after the second time stop. I'm unsure of whether I should save these for after the boss jumps off time gate phase, or if I should blow it right away. Right now I refresh hot/lead while saving these cooldowns because I don't want that buff uptime to be wasted when the boss jumps to do time gates, but it also means I severely clip my hot/lead shot after the boss jumps because I want to refresh them before doing wildfire (not sure if it's worth it to do that).

I hold buffs here because the attack time lost when he jumps would definitely be a waste; I almost never have Disembowel up since my group has no DRG main, so I don't have to worry about losing potency if it falls off mid-wildfire so the hold is worth it to me. The impending Inception forces everything back into alignment anyway, so I hold. I'll also note that that WF is also super nice if you guys get to the point of wanting to let different DPS stay out to pad their runs; not having access to a self heal is kind of scary but the Wildfire makes doing a DPS time gate not stressful at all (and, again, no DRG, so there's not much in the way of synergy I miss out on aside from the lost GCDs in travel time.) Three man time gate is obviously the optimal solution here, but we had a period where we weren't confident enough to do 3-man, but I wanted to take pity on our monk and his perpetually dropping GL stacks.

The only thing I'd note about this section that gets weird eventually and I'm considering redoing is when to use the Hypercharge that usually comes up during crystals. Originally I decided to burn it shortly after the third crystal drop so that the debuff would still be up when everyone got back and fall off right around the end of the Inception cast, and I wouldn't hold it for so long I lost a use over the course of the fight. Over time our kill time has shrunk, and it's starting to seem worth it to sit on it for post-first-Inception when most of us have big burst damage up since it dies before the last Hypercharge would be up anyway.

- after boss reappears, barrel off + hot + all cooldowns and pot while running in for radiant sacrament. Big wildfire combo as soon as I'm in. I feel like saving RRR for this may be worth it?
- I save hypercharge at this point because because second inception comes back too soon for me to get its full duration here.

I'm not sure when you're burning the preceding Hypercharge for when yours comes back up; mine I definitely hold 'till after all the jumping finishes but if I decide to dispose of the crystal phase HC entirely I'd want to pop one immediately after he lands on first Inception because a lot of the physical DPS have their big bursts there.

Saving RRR is most likely worth it; if you've got access to Litany/Balance/Trick Attack for the big post-Inception burst you'll get significantly more out of those procs than you do on those before.

- the point immediately after second pools is where I'm most unsure, because a lot of cooldowns come back right before the second holy bleed. Right now I'm going forward with the wildfire combo but deactivate b4b right before the bleed hits, but come to think of it, I should probably wait until after the bleed hits since these are the last times I use these moves before the fight ends anyway, right?

This is going to be super variable from group to group--in our first sets of clears, we tank LB'd the second Holy Bleed to give the healers some breathing room after Communion shenanigans, so I'd just burn everything when it came up and leave B4B up because tank LB trivialized everything. After DPS Weapon Christmas Fiesta week, we started skipping the second puddle set on clean runs so it was a non-issue, and on messy runs I'd determine what I did with my CDs based on how stressed the healers were by whatever we'd messed up earlier. I take ~17.5k from the first Holy Bleed, and have a little over 25k HP with food and party bonus. If everyone's confident that the shielding on the second Bleed is good, I'll b4b beforehand and just do my normal stuff.

I hear that A12 is really good for MCH because the cooldowns line up well for them, but I keep finding all these 10-20 second gaps where I want to save cooldowns because of boss jumps. Not sure if it's the right decision to do it at those points, though.

It's a good fight for us because the ways the fight messes with you hurt us less than anyone else--Running around generally hurts us less, there aren't any of the weird A11S phase pushes of "Nice Wildfire you have there, sure would be a shame if somebody just Invulnerable'd at it", and things like Stasis are less annoying for us than Bard, etc. But it's also a fight that you'll want to shift what you're doing around a lot as kill times shrink, because things that would have originally cost you a use over the fight won't anymore.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Don't use it during crystal phase at all. This may seem counterintuitive, but aligning it with the rest of the party is actually more important. Usually, who else is outside with you? A caster, a healer (neither of which get anything out of it) and probably a dark knight (who does but not fully).

This... I guess might be a preference depending on what your party does and overall kill time but I've randomly checked a dozen high fflogs and the hypercharge casts in almost every case look like this:

dRWDHD2.png

I'd put it up at 2m for might and time, but the takeaway is that Hypercharge is ultimately a party cooldown, not just yours.

iammeiam

Don't use it during timestop phase at all. This may seem counterintuitive, but aligning it with the rest of the party is actually more important. Usually, who else is outside with you? A caster, a healer (neither of which get anything out of it) and probably a dark knight (who does but not fully).

OK except I specifically addressed having the debuff up when everyone got back from jail?

I ended up staggering it during prog specifically because I'd math'd it out at one point and realized I could get the party an extra half-usage out of burning one during crystals (since, yes, our NIN insisted on TAing post-jail for whatever reason) vs sitting on it for Inception back in the days of 12 minute kill times (and moving to three man timegate adds another physical DPS feeding off it.) Holding it for a bit means the debuff is still up and usable by physical DPS when they get back from the crystal stuff, and the usage at the end of the fight if you're dealing with three puddle sets.

The mid-crystal Hypercharge is pretty depressing from a personal standpoint because it lines up with nothing, but it meant getting in another usage at the end of the fight for everyone plus the half-usage there depending on how on the ball I was with timing. The question isn't "Do I use this here for me, or do I hold it for everyone?" but "Does holding it for everyone and meaning we don't get a use at the end of the fight benefit us more?" which is a question that actively morphs over time as kill times shrink and there's no more extra usage in the fight.

Because I mean. No DRG, it doesn't matter what I do most weeks my damage is potato.

Akuun

Good stuff.

I think my timings are slightly off yours because I do the max potency Wildfire 5 ammo opener (the one that leads with GB off'd Slug Shot so you can roll into a proc'd Clean Shot the first GCD post-WF application), and group positioning will also make a huge difference here. I start with GB off, it goes up after Hot Shot, stays up until the tail end of WildFire, then goes off for a GCD to fit in the last Split and potential Auto, then back on. Mine goes back on at around 25 seconds, and the Gravi cast is at around 40-41 seconds so I can turn it back off again to dodge if I choose/don't have a proc handy. We do the bait and run mid/inside the boss's hotbox, so if it's Radiant I'm done moving. If it's normal Sacrament, I might leave GB off another GCD or two to get a proc to allow movement for the dodge/turn it off there if I got proc carried through the prior.
I do a double gauss 5 ammo opener too. Probably has mild variations from yours, but it starts off with gauss > barrel off > hot (RS,HE) > slug (B4B, barrel on, pot) > lead (WF) > continue, which sounds similar to what you're doing. We also bait at the boss's back and run through the boss for grav, but I usually move to near the boss' front in case someone moved in too early. I think the main difference here is that I leave the barrel off after the second Gauss in the wildfire and only put it back on when it's time to refresh Lead, since I don't have any oGCDs to use during that time anyway. That delays when I can take off my barrel again to roughly right before sacrament/radiant goes off, which means I'm stuck with the barrel on when we have to move for grav.

If I put the barrel back on sooner in the opener, I could do it your way and then that might be more consistent, but it would cost a few autoattacks.

This works really conveniently at first, but post-DPS-weapons (which we got all at once because literally 8 kills with 0 usable DPS drops so we all paged everything out for week 9) the post-ultimate Hypercharge is going to go weird. I burn my first two hypercharges on CD, but if you're killing the adds fast enough the third one will come up around the time Temporal Stasis casts. If it comes up before you can pop it and continue on mostly as normal (the turret gets frozen as well, so you don't lose Hyper debuff uptime, if the turret had 10s left on Hyper when Stasis cast finishes, it's still going to have 10s left after stasis of reapplying the debuff); if you still have 2s remaining on the recast when Stasis hits, you're going to be stuck waiting out the full Stasis pause before the last 2 seconds can tick down and it can come off CD.

It's still absolutely worth doing, but speeding up kill times on the Might and Time will eventually make the third Hypercharge a little awkward. I do now sit on it for a few seconds if I don't think anybody will be in melee range immediately to maximize group usage of the debuff, but I miss the big burst window post-ultimate and it is sad.
That makes sense. I'm already starting to see a bit of that. During progression I would get HC back right after the ultimate, but now it's coming back maybe 3-4 gcds in and it's already making the wildfire awkward. I'll just pop it whenever it comes back since I didn't think of the turret getting preserved with HC on with time stop. Or maybe I'll wait until after time stop since it sounds like I may end up holding it until after first inception anyway.

lol @ the drops sucking. That sucks and we've had that happen to us in other floors too. This tier has been mostly ninja/healer dupes for us for the most part, and we don't even have a ninja. We got our second clear this week, and thankfully it was useful stuff. Our first clear dropped nothing useful to us except the mount.

I hold buffs here because the attack time lost when he jumps would definitely be a waste; I almost never have Disembowel up since my group has no DRG main, so I don't have to worry about losing potency if it falls off mid-wildfire so the hold is worth it to me. The impending Inception forces everything back into alignment anyway, so I hold. I'll also note that that WF is also super nice if you guys get to the point of wanting to let different DPS stay out to pad their runs; not having access to a self heal is kind of scary but the Wildfire makes doing a DPS time gate not stressful at all (and, again, no DRG, so there's not much in the way of synergy I miss out on aside from the lost GCDs in travel time.) Three man time gate is obviously the optimal solution here, but we had a period where we weren't confident enough to do 3-man, but I wanted to take pity on our monk and his perpetually dropping GL stacks.
Right now we're still doing 4-man gates. I'm not sure if my group can do 3-man gates yet.

Do you refresh and clip your hot/lead for the post-jump wildfire? or do you just do wildfire without refreshing those dots and risk needing to refresh those during wildfire?

The only thing I'd note about this section that gets weird eventually and I'm considering redoing is when to use the Hypercharge that usually comes up during crystals. Originally I decided to burn it shortly after the third crystal drop so that the debuff would still be up when everyone got back and fall off right around the end of the Inception cast, and I wouldn't hold it for so long I lost a use over the course of the fight. Over time our kill time has shrunk, and it's starting to seem worth it to sit on it for post-first-Inception when most of us have big burst damage up since it dies before the last Hypercharge would be up anyway.

I'm not sure when you're burning the preceding Hypercharge for when yours comes back up; mine I definitely hold 'till after all the jumping finishes but if I decide to dispose of the crystal phase HC entirely I'd want to pop one immediately after he lands on first Inception because a lot of the physical DPS have their big bursts there.
I've been popping it as soon as it comes back halfway through crystal phase, but maybe I'll hold it until after first inception too. The post about HC being a group cooldown is true, and it's also true that everyone probably bursts after the first inception anyway. That may be worth more than doing that 4-man hypercharge during crystal phase.

Right now our fastest/first clear was around 11:30 but the run wasn't clean - we have some kerfluffle resulting in both tanks dying to the tank buster after second pools - but once we sort that out, I doubt we'll even see the third pools appear.

This is going to be super variable from group to group--in our first sets of clears, we tank LB'd the second Holy Bleed to give the healers some breathing room after Communion shenanigans, so I'd just burn everything when it came up and leave B4B up because tank LB trivialized everything. After DPS Weapon Christmas Fiesta week, we started skipping the second puddle set on clean runs so it was a non-issue, and on messy runs I'd determine what I did with my CDs based on how stressed the healers were by whatever we'd messed up earlier. I take ~17.5k from the first Holy Bleed, and have a little over 25k HP with food and party bonus. If everyone's confident that the shielding on the second Bleed is good, I'll b4b beforehand and just do my normal stuff.
Lol, that might be partly why our tanks died on our first clear. We were saving for a melee LB so our healers were busy dealing with Communion, and then the tanks died. We then melee LBed the boss before the boss wiped us.

I guess I'll avoid eating that AoE with B4B on for now until the healers are comfortable, and then figure it out from there.

It's a good fight for us because the ways the fight messes with you hurt us less than anyone else--Running around generally hurts us less, there aren't any of the weird A11S phase pushes of "Nice Wildfire you have there, sure would be a shame if somebody just Invulnerable'd at it", and things like Stasis are less annoying for us than Bard, etc. But it's also a fight that you'll want to shift what you're doing around a lot as kill times shrink, because things that would have originally cost you a use over the fight won't anymore.
A11S is indeed wreaking havoc on me. It sucks.

iammeiam

If I put the barrel back on sooner in the opener, I could do it your way and then that might be more consistent, but it would cost a few autoattacks.

Sounds like we're pretty similar then; my understanding of stance dancing is that it's generally not worth it to leave GB off for multiple GCDs in a row because our AA delay is longer than our GCD. No-GB Split + AA > GB Split, but once you're in the realm of having a GCD you do no GB and your AA doesn't come up, that GCD is a damage loss over the GB equivalent.

lol @ the drops sucking. That sucks and we've had that happen to us in other floors too. This tier has been mostly ninja/healer dupes for us for the most part, and we don't even have a ninja. We got our second clear this week, and thankfully it was useful stuff. Our first clear dropped nothing useful to us except the mount.

Literally half our clears have seen the casting chest drop, which isn't even BiS for our caster. But the highlight and redeeming factor of this whole thing is our Monk needs both the chest and weapon for BiS. Since no good drops, he paged out the weapon week 8 and it dropped week 9. We're all super excited for him to page out the chest week 16 so it can drop week 17. Because that is what happens when you don't just accept that you should be a dragoon.

Right now we're still doing 4-man gates. I'm not sure if my group can do 3-man gates yet.

A lot of the burden is just on whichever DPS has to LB getting in, getting LB off ASAP, and moving to their add immediately. The actual mechanics of killing stuff in time isn't much harder than normal gates as I understand it, it's just the accelerated bar growth until the one DPS tags the last add that's a killer.

Do you refresh and clip your hot/lead for the post-jump wildfire? or do you just do wildfire without refreshing those dots and risk needing to refresh those during wildfire?

I usually clip but won't claim it's optimal damage so much as just something that decreases my chance of screwing up later. There's also a decent chance of an AOE balance being up at that time that I want to get a full-duration DoT out of before it falls off.

Right now our fastest/first clear was around 11:30 but the run wasn't clean - we have some kerfluffle resulting in both tanks dying to the tank buster after second pools - but once we sort that out, I doubt we'll even see the third pools appear.

Our first clear involved one of the melee just like deciding he didn't really need to do a puddle soak, and the full duration of the damage down debuff. It was hilarious. But yeah the fight seems to fall into place relatively quickly after the first couple clears feeling stuff out.

A11S is indeed wreaking havoc on me. It sucks.

We've managed to skip Lapis exactly one pull so far, and only because Wildfire exploded in that brief second of vulnerability after he disappears and reappears prior to plane ride mode. My sole mission for that fight is figuring out how to repeat that.

That was a response to Akuun, your post wasn't up yet when I typed it up.

I play BRD anyway, what do I know /o/~~~~~~~~

ooh. I see. It's actually a HC I have gone in circles about using a lot specifically for group optimization purposes so I get knee-jerk defensive at the implication of the opposite..

also I thought you were a WAR

Akuun

Sounds like we're pretty similar then; my understanding of stance dancing is that it's generally not worth it to leave GB off for multiple GCDs in a row because our AA delay is longer than our GCD. No-GB Split + AA > GB Split, but once you're in the realm of having a GCD you do no GB and your AA doesn't come up, that GCD is a damage loss over the GB equivalent.
My understanding of stance dancing is that most GCD moves + AA is better than the same move with barrel on. The main exception is Lead shot, which should always be done with barrel on. And it's always a DPS loss to do an oGCD attack with the barrel off.

So if all oGCD attacks are off, having the barrel off is better than having the barrel on. But if autoattacks are slower than your GCDs, then maybe it's better to not leave the barrel off for extended periods.

I assumed that it may be better because I sometimes saw top mchs spending long periods of time with the barrel off on fflogs. But I could be wrong.

As for 3-man gates, I'm not sure how we would try it because I hear everyone going in needs to be on top of their game, and our DPS players are kind of skewed. Our two strongest DPS are our bard, who is exceptionally good - do you know how fucking soul crushing it is to always be ~100 dps behind your bard no matter how much you try? - and me (we run brd/mch/drg/mnk), so that means no melee LB if we send in our strongest players into the gates. Our melees are okay, but noticeably behind our ranged guys.

For A11S, I swear I'm losing a few wildfires here and there because of unexpected phase skips. Right now I'm using my second wildfire after 1-8, but that puts me into a super awkward position in lapis phase where I have a bunch of cooldowns + RRR up at the start of lapis phase, but no wildfire available until the lapis is half dead. I may be forced into using a really shitty mildfire right after Eternal Darkness instead.

iammeiam

My understanding of stance dancing is that most GCD moves + AA is better than the same move with barrel on. The main exception is Lead shot, which should always be done with barrel on. And it's always a DPS loss to do an oGCD attack with the barrel off.

So if all oGCD attacks are off, having the barrel off is better than having the barrel on. But if autoattacks are slower than your GCDs, then maybe it's better to not leave the barrel off for extended periods.
I assumed that it may be better because I sometimes saw top mchs spending long periods of time with the barrel off on fflogs. But I could be wrong.

Krietor's MCH guide has a long section quoting Aiurily on stance dancing, which I've let mostly determine how I handle it. I think the math here is current and so the general goal should be brief toggles instead of sustained periods, but there could have been a change I missed.

As for 3-man gates, I'm not sure how we would try it because I hear everyone going in needs to be on top of their game, and our DPS players are kind of skewed. Our two strongest DPS are our bard, who is exceptionally good - do you know how fucking soul crushing it is to always be ~100 dps behind your bard no matter how much you try? - and me (we run brd/mch/drg/mnk), so that means no melee LB if we send in our strongest players into the gates. Our melees are okay, but noticeably behind our ranged guys.

We do I think the standard 3-man plan; we send our healer in to one of the DPS adds, our NIN in to the healer add, and our WAR into the tank add. The NIN LBs the healer add immediately and moves to the untouched DPS add and starts to kill. WAR takes his and then moves on to the healer's DPS add, and if the add is still up at the end the NIN also moves to the add the healer add. The rockiest part for us wasn't necessarily the personal damage of the DPS that went in, but that the bar builds really, really fast if the add doesn't have somebody at it. So if your melee goes in and hesitates before LBing, or is slow to leave after LB, the bar fills up because the fourth add just flat out isn't being attacked for a long time, not because the melee isn't doing enough damage when they are attacking. The only downside to trying it is that everyone needs to be on board since you probably will wipe a couple times while people get used to it.

For A11S, I swear I'm losing a few wildfires here and there because of unexpected phase skips. Right now I'm using my second wildfire after 1-8, but that puts me into a super awkward position in lapis phase where I have a bunch of cooldowns + RRR up at the start of lapis phase, but no wildfire available until the lapis is half dead. I may be forced into using a really shitty mildfire right after Eternal Darkness instead.

The first half of the fight is a constant nightmare of weird pushes; that's basically where I'm at with Wildfire. Opener, post-1-8, then ED. Lapis skip when you hit it makes everything weirder because all of your CDs will totally be out of sync with where you expect to be the rest of the fight. Basically expect the fight to be super different week to week as you all finish out your BiS, and then once gearing levels out you can try to figure out how to change when you're pushing to make cool downs less roulette. There was a weird period where I lost a wildfire during the Pyretic phase, IIRC, until we started pushing fast enough that it just got moved to post-Pyretic.

Valor

Throwing two cents in for Machinist trash pile.

On 11 I've started Wildfiring the opener, post Limit Cut, then Eternal Darkness Cast, then at the start of final phase, then after Propeller Wind. I think there's another one somewhere in there since you can sneak one in after shield Limit Cut in the final phase, but our 11s are such a clusterfuck every week I don't even have a set rotato after this long.

It was helpful for me to learn when Limit Cuts happen and as we changed strategies to avoid the limit cut in burning phase everything became far more manageable on a whole. I also used to try to wildfire during opticals in the latter half of phase 1, but it was too complex for very little gain. Simplified it to using WF after Limit Cut Dominoes and it's much more easy to handle.

On 12 maybe I missed this because I skimmed most of the posts but I just wildfire and blow cooldowns during the tank buster bits during puddle phase. Then again we're still clearing in 11:30 - 12+ minutes, so mileage varies and all that. Currently I WF as soon as the fight begins to transition before the first puddle so that my B4B wears off before my puddle explodes. Last WF is during the second tank buster.

As our add phase speeds up I find myself wanting to hold HC for after ult burn phase, but I dunno. It feels like a waste to hold it. I also found I wanted to hit it on cooldown in order for it maybe sometimes to be up kind of sort of during burn phase post ultimate.

My understanding on GB off from when I was listening to Airuily before he shut down shop was that to maximize GB offtime you'd wanna turn it on/off around your aa's. Basically if you hit an aa, waited a second or two and turned it back on it's technically not good, so you'd wanna time GB on with AA's instead of an arbitrary time, but he also concluded this was a little too extreme for most people and might as well be ignored because of such.

I find that sitting with GB off is kind of a pain since the situations that you will benefit the most from it happen far and few between so I just keep it on a majority of the time in a majority of fights.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I hear tidings that stance dancing on MCH has become less beneficial and I can see AAs coming out considerably harder if you do quick off-on things than it used to be but I didn't bother to look at any math for this yet.

also I thought you were a WAR

It's great that this game lets you play multiple jobs on one character.
Snark aside, people come and go.

Edit: Oh, and if you're doing 4-man TG your melee being behind your ranged will come out quite naturally, the downtime on those teleports is beyond ridiculous. I believe in case of MNK they lose as much DPS as if they straight up died if they have to do time gates. It's ridiculous design.

wamberz1

I assume everyone's excited about the FFXIV live action series announced for April.

I hope the acting isn't terrible.
Lol the fuck is thi-
According to the original blog, “The Father of Light” focuses on the story of a father and son who have issues communicating. The son, who plays FFXIV and wants to get in on some friend referral bonuses, gets his 60-year-old father to join the game after receiving a PS4 from his wife as a birthday present. The son helps him create a character and eventually joins him on his adventure through the game, helping him out without revealing his true identity.
...actually this has a chance of being interesting.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The story of that drama is based on this blog, which is going to be released in book form in March.

A few of my friends read the whole thing and said it's really interesting, so I'll probably give the blog version a shot when I have some time.

Akuun

Those A11 wildfires sound similar to how I ended up doign them this week. It bothers me that there's only time for one wildfire in between the first and second intermissions.

As for stance dancing, I think it's definitely better to err on the side of keeping the barrel on because it's so easy to screw up. But I've been trying to explore getting more comfortable with it over teh past few weeks.

Bebpo

Banned
So at 207 hours now I've finally hit the first spots where I need to make friends to do sync content ;_;

Had no luck getting into an Ifrit Extreme today, so ran it unsynced with pf group, everything ended in 20 seconds and fight was no fun at all.

Now that I've cleared the Extreme fights (although I want to do Ifrit Extreme proper sync'd), one of the only things left before I get to Heavensward is to do Coil but I'm being told I'm not going to have any luck in duty finder getting a party for that either.

Are there 7 other people here who'd be willing to run Coil with me synced this weekend? Also are there 7 other people here who'd be willing to do Ifrit Extreme synced with me at some point? I have one or two friends online but it's not enough to do this 8 person content that I can't find duty finder groups with.

fwiw I was able to find duty finder groups for Garuda & Titan extreme, which was nice and fun.

So at 207 hours now I've finally hit the first spots where I need to make friends to do sync content ;_;

Had no luck getting into an Ifrit Extreme today, so ran it unsynced with pf group, everything ended in 20 seconds and fight was no fun at all.

Now that I've cleared the Extreme fights (although I want to do Ifrit Extreme proper sync'd), one of the only things left before I get to Heavensward is to do Coil but I'm being told I'm not going to have any luck in duty finder getting a party for that either.

Are there 7 other people here who'd be willing to run Coil with me synced this weekend? Also are there 7 other people here who'd be willing to do Ifrit Extreme synced with me at some point? I have one or two friends online but it's not enough to do this 8 person content that I can't find duty finder groups with.

fwiw I was able to find duty finder groups for Garuda & Titan extreme, which was nice and fun.

Just want to mention that Binding Coils and Extreme fights are not mandatory for the Main Quest in case you didn't know already.

Yeah I didn't bother with coils, crystal tower, or any of the EX primals.

I just jumped straight into HW after finishing the 2.xx MSQs.

I don't even know if I'm going to bother doing half of the HW ex primals. I watched a video guide for Thordan Ex yesterday and after about 12 minutes of the narrator explaining mechanics they suddenly say "alright, now this is where it gets tricky" and I'm like -_-

Bebpo

Banned
Just want to mention that Binding Coils and Extreme fights are not mandatory for the Main Quest in case you didn't know already.

Yeah, but aren't they the most fun parts of the game? (And everyone says Coil has the best story). The Garuda Ex & Titan Ex & Thornmarch Ex have been the most fun fights in the game so far because of the strategy involved. I want an entire game of nothing but battles like that. Those Ex fights and the last part of Crystal Tower have been the most memorable parts of the game so far.

But I have no MMO friends :/. Well, actually I have made friends in the small FC I joined but my FC doesn't do combat, they seem to hang out and craft and harvest.
Which is the whole reason I'd never played an MMO until now. Didn't want to have to find people to party with. Duty finder seemed to solve that, but now 200 hours later...

MSQ-wise I'm at 2.2 but definitely want to finish Coil and Ifrit Ex for real before starting 3.0. I'm trying to do everything available pre-3.0 and then move on to HW.

Squishy3

You can try putting a PF listing up and see if there's a synced content linkshell on your server, seems to have been popping up a decent amount lately.

yaffi

I don't even know if I'm going to bother doing half of the HW ex primals. I watched a video guide for Thordan Ex yesterday and after about 12 minutes of the narrator explaining mechanics they suddenly say "alright, now this is where it gets tricky" and I'm like -_-

The Problem with these guides is that it's adressed at everyone in a group. So you actually get to know stuff some classes don't have to look out for. Also if you go phase by phase most of the mechanics aren't that hard to memorize.

Kenai

Yeah, but aren't they the most fun parts of the game? (And everyone says Coil has the best story). The Garuda Ex & Titan Ex & Thornmarch Ex have been the most fun fights in the game so far because of the strategy involved. I want an entire game of nothing but battles like that. Those Ex fights and the last part of Crystal Tower have been the most memorable parts of the game so far.

But I have no MMO friends :/. Well, actually I have made friends in the small FC I joined but my FC doesn't do combat, they seem to hang out and craft and harvest.
Which is the whole reason I'd never played an MMO until now. Didn't want to have to find people to party with. Duty finder seemed to solve that, but now 200 hours later...

MSQ-wise I'm at 2.2 but definitely want to finish Coil and Ifrit Ex for real before starting 3.0. I'm trying to do everything available pre-3.0 and then move on to HW.

It's a bit tricky with older raiding because it's pretty hard to find groups that want to clear it as if it was "current" with the level restrictions and what not. The story is fine and the music is amazing but honestly compared to a lot of the 3.0+ stuff it's not something to halt everything else for.

I say 3.0+ easily tops it story and voice acting wise, along with Hildebrand stuff. Continue it if you want (you should in fact), but also don't get hung up on it at the expense of the rest of the game, cause there's a lot you haven't seen in the MSQ and other (easier) side content.

Bebpo

Banned
I put up a party finder for turn 1 synced and it filled up fairly fast (maybe 20 minutes?). About half the party wanted to do it unsynced and were worried about going sync, but in the end they were all cool doing it sync. We did it sync and it was incredibly easy because of the player buff apparently they gave it. Was easier than most of these lvl.50 dungeons. Nice music & art. Looking forward to seeing the next parts.

We would have gone on to turn 2 but both our healers had to go and then everyone else dropped like flies. But this does give me hope that if I make a pf each night for the next turn I should be able to find a group.

I would absolutely do the Crystal Tower. It's super easy to get into a duty finder for it and it's totally no problem with random players. It's also incredibly fun. World of Darkness, the third part, is the most fun dungeon I've played in my 200 hours of the game to date. Really epic and satisfying, especially with a good party.

Garuda Ex is totally fine too with df/randoms, it's not too complicated but just complicated enough to keep it exciting. Titan Ex was pretty funny and Thornmarch Ex took me two parties since the first party wasn't working in sync. Then again I found Odin trial tougher than Ifrit/Titan/Garuda/Thornmarch ex versions. Took me a few duty finder parties to make it through Odin trial. Actually thinking about it, that's the toughest thing I've encountered in the game so far for me, nothing else taken as many parties and tries as Odin's trial. I think also Odin is the only fight that doesn't have the Echo of the Ex fights I've done, so that has an effect too on the challenge. Stuff like Garuda/Titan/Thornmarch get a lot easier after a few deaths.

Thorgal

Just to be clear, thordan is considered the hardest ex primal since it was designed for people who couldn't clear A3Sso it looking more difficult is to be expected.

That being said, Today thordan is not that hard since with higher ilevels you can burn through his 6 phases pretty quick.

I did that fight with pugs last week almost blind and we killed him on the 5th attempt.

Just to be clear, thordan is considered the hardest ex primal since it was designed for people who couldn't clear A3Sso it looking more difficult is to be expected.

That being said, Today thordan is not that hard since with higher ilevels you can burn through his 6 phases pretty quick.

I did that fight with pugs last week almost blind and we killed him on the 5th attempt.

So Nidhogg and the Triads aren't as ridiculous?

I've only done Bismarck and Ravana so far. They were simple enough, but then I watched that video of Thordan and I was like OMG.

Reknoc

I wanted to do sync'd ex primals. With Titan I had fun just jumping into DF to do it, Ifrit was hell and Odin made me wonder if I was being punished for something.

Bebpo

Banned
I wanted to do sync'd ex primals. With Titan I had fun just jumping into DF to do it, Ifrit was hell and Odin made me wonder if I was being punished for something.

Why are people ok doing DF for Garuda/Titan but not Ifrit? Everyone is telling me that Ifrit Ex is way easier than Titan Ex or maybe even Garuda Ex. Don't get why no one wants to queue for Ifrit Ex. Hell, I almost got a duty finder for Coil Turn 1 (had 2 tanks, 1 healer, 2 DPS but we never got the remaining 1 healer or 2 DPS) yet over several hours I never got a single other person queuing for Ifrit Ex.

Squishy3

So Nidhogg and the Triads aren't as ridiculous?

I've only done Bismarck and Ravana so far. They were simple enough, but then I watched that video of Thordan and I was like OMG.
Triad difficulty I'd rate it as: Sephirot > Zurvan/Sophia (they're pretty equal, although Sophia has more mechanics while Zurvan has like 4 mechanics (and only 2 of them happen at the same time)

aceface

I put up a party finder for turn 1 synced and it filled up fairly fast (maybe 20 minutes?). About half the party wanted to do it unsynced and were worried about going sync, but in the end they were all cool doing it sync. We did it sync and it was incredibly easy because of the player buff apparently they gave it. Was easier than most of these lvl.50 dungeons. Nice music & art. Looking forward to seeing the next parts.

We would have gone on to turn 2 but both our healers had to go and then everyone else dropped like flies. But this does give me hope that if I make a pf each night for the next turn I should be able to find a group.

Bebpo, what server/data center are you on? I'd do some synced coil with you but I can't unless you are on primal.

Woot finally bis on brd at ilvl 268.

Also hit 2k again in a11s again with a garbage comp. Blm/smn/drg/brd qq

I just need a decent comp/group and I'm sure i can hit 2200 in 11s.

If only I cleared stuff sooner and had a not casual static I could probably hit 95+ percentile for all of creator lol.

Hystzen

Whats a good rotation for lvl50 DRG (no hw installed)

At moment just using heavy> impluse> disembowel>chaos as main solo

I use power surge first for 2 rotations then BB until resets

Use odd jump now and again to help wait during moves

Meowster

I let out a laugh when I saw the name of the current quest was "Notorious Biggs."

So close to beating the main storyline. Waiting for a buddy of mine to level up a few more times so we can keep playing through the game together. Garuda was a fun boss and I was lucky to have a good team. I was nervous going in but it only took two tries to best her.

Whats a good rotation for lvl50 DRG (no hw installed)

At moment just using heavy> impluse> disembowel>chaos as main solo

I use power surge first for 2 rotations then BB until resets

Use odd jump now and again to help wait during moves

My opening rotation at 50 is:

Internal Release (cross-class) > Heavy Thrust > Impluse Drive > Disembowel > Chaos Thrust > Phlebotomize > True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Life Surge > Full Thrust

Basically you want to make sure your Heavy Thrust buff is up at all times, then make sure the Disembowel/Chaos Thrust/Phlebotomize debuffs are up on your foe. If all of those are up then you go through the TT-VT-FT combo while mixing in Power Surge-Jump/Spineshatter Dive when they're up and you have time. It's fairly simple, though make sure you have the positioning down for Heavy Thrust and Chaos Thrust. Positioning becomes especially important for the Blood of the Dragon skills you'll get in Heavensward.

Akuun

Why are people ok doing DF for Garuda/Titan but not Ifrit? Everyone is telling me that Ifrit Ex is way easier than Titan Ex or maybe even Garuda Ex. Don't get why no one wants to queue for Ifrit Ex. Hell, I almost got a duty finder for Coil Turn 1 (had 2 tanks, 1 healer, 2 DPS but we never got the remaining 1 healer or 2 DPS) yet over several hours I never got a single other person queuing for Ifrit Ex.
It's probably because Ifrit EX punishes you for entering the fight overgeared in ways that Garuda and Titan don't. I'm not sure what ilevel it is synced to but it probably still applies.

If you push damage too fast in the final nail phase, you could push Ifrit into doing his ultimate before all nails are down, which is a wipe. You probably can't trust everyone in DF to hold DPS in order to avoid that.

Pachimari

When will I be able to have my own residence? I have unlocked the apartment feature, and is a lvl 30 archer. And I'm looking to have a chocobo stable but I need a residence as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom