• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

What's the difference between Need and Greed when lotting?
You can only Need on an item if you can equip it with your current class (or it is an item any class can use). However, Need has priority over Greed. The Greeds are only considered if no one rolled Need.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What's the difference between Need and Greed when lotting?
You can only Need on an item if you can equip it with your current class (or it is an item any class can use). However, Need has priority over Greed. The Greeds are only considered if no one rolled Need.
and if there is a party finder party up that says Greed > Need it means there is a loot list and you mark what item you want to greed roll on. This is done so people can play whatever class and still obtain stuff they need on others.

Is the Typhoon event in the Golden Saucer completely random?

I've done it 5 times now and have yet to clear all six sneezes. Most other people seem to fail at it as well.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is the Typhoon event in the Golden Saucer completely random?

I've done it 5 times now and have yet to clear all six sneezes. Most other people seem to fail at it as well.
It's random, but some attacks have a set pattern like the quad circles and the edge aoe so you can decrease your chance of getting knocked off/avoid it by standing in specific spots.

QgDvuOq.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4lxsr8/typhon_gate_research/
https://out.reddit.com/t3_4lxsr8?ur...kxA90-VhUYFT9ejcJU70a4pD8&app_name=reddit.com

Sky87

Just started playing again after 1.5 years, got a lvl 32 or something Lancer. Got a few questions.

I see some conflicting information on whether to ignore side quests or do them. I can imagine if you do every side quest there won't be as easy to level up the other classes? In other words, i don't want to screw myself so that i'll run out of content for my future classes. I'm pretty green on all this.

Every class also got a sub-class, correct? Pretty sure i chose Lancer back then to unlock Dragoon, is that still a good class to go for? Got a Marauder that i leveled up to around 15.

Pretty overwhelming getting back into it so far, there are plenty of gameplay systems and the cross class system to think about.

creid

Just started playing again after 1.5 years, got a lvl 32 or something Lancer. Got a few questions.

I see some conflicting information on whether to ignore side quests or do them. I can imagine if you do every side quest there won't be as easy to level up the other classes? In other words, i don't want to screw myself so that i'll run out of content for my future classes. I'm pretty green on all this.

Every class also got a sub-class, correct? Pretty sure i chose Lancer back then to unlock Dragoon, is that still a good class to go for? Got a Marauder that i leveled up to around 15.

Pretty overwhelming getting back into it so far, there are plenty of gameplay systems and the cross class system to think about.
It's up to you - if the sidequests intrigue you, do them. There's a lot of them so it can be easy to get bogged down and bored by them, but there are more efficient ways to get XP when you need it.

If you're enjoying Lancer, then stick with that. If you're really at level 32 on your lancer, and you got Marauder to level 15 you should be able to do some quests to unlock Dragoon right now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I just realized that the ilv 270 Shire gear is the best gear before Stormblood and has materia slots.
Any advice what materia to put in all the slots for a BLM? Only thing I've melded have been for my gatherer, so I'm not sure how secondary stat caps etc. work.

Qvoth

SkyOdin

Don't worry about not having quests to level up other classes. Quests probably aren't even the fastest method. Any classes after your first also get a massive exp bonus that makes leveling them easier.

Only save quests if you want to save them as something interesting to do. Experience isn't a big worry, since dungeons, FATEs, guildleves, daily quests, and the Palace of the Dead are all available as methods to get experience points.

aceface

Would be neat to create a party of us that does like 1 turn / week over 12 weeks and go through the entire Coil synced. Wouldn't be particularly time-intensive (just like one night a week), but would definitely get to know each other a lot better by the end of 12 weeks!

So timing TBD, we have:

Healer #1 - Aceface
Healer #2 -
Tank #1 - Womberz (if needed)
Tank #2 -
DPS #1 - Womberz (if tanking, then this slot is open)
DPS #2 - Bebpo
DPS #3 -
DPS #4 -

If you're interested in this, please reply and let me know what job role you can fill. Thanks :)

Bebpo, did you want to try to do this tonight?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For NINs here, when do you have time to AE? Still leveling but in dungeons most of my time is taken up by maintaining DE and AC. I only get a chance to AE once in a blue moon or for Duality.

xxczx

For NINs here, when do you have time to AE? Still leveling but in dungeons most of my time is taken up by maintaining DE and AC. I only get a chance to AE once in a blue moon or for Duality.
In ideal situations you'll have WAR so you just replace your DEs with AE. Don't feel bad if you aren't using AE as much when there is no WAR.

Bebpo

Banned
Bebpo, did you want to try to do this tonight?

Since no else responded, I figured there's no point in going forward tonight on this. If there's interest, I'm always down.

Since I didn't see any interest beyond like 3-4 of us, I did an unsynced pf. Got a group and was able to run T1-T8 no problem. Had trouble getting people to coordinate on the second meteor drop phase of T9 and people got frustrated and left. Considering how much coordination is needed for T9, I wonder how hard it's gonna be to get a pf group together to pass it and unlock Final coil.

aceface

Since no else responded, I figured there's no point in going forward tonight on this. If there's interest, I'm always down.

Since I didn't see any interest beyond like 3-4 of us, I did an unsynced pf. Got a group and was able to run T1-T8 no problem. Had trouble getting people to coordinate on the second meteor drop phase of T9 and people got frustrated and left. Considering how much coordination is needed for T9, I wonder how hard it's gonna be to get a pf group together to pass it and unlock Final coil.

No worries. Unsynced I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

Ken

In ideal situations you'll have WAR so you just replace your DEs with AE. Don't feel bad if you aren't using AE as much when there is no WAR.

p much

if you have no WAR then you'll still want to fit in duality AEs at the very least

Even if you have a WAR, you have to make sure they'll put the slashing debuff up. A lot of them don't so I have to do it myself, better safe than sorry.

Qvoth

you should level up your both potd save files simultaneously
so after a level 1-10 run on save file a, do the same for save file b
levels 11-20 on a, then b
that's the fastest way to increase aether gear level imo

Haly

11-20: +2
21-30: +5
31-40: +8
41-50: +12
Required gear. You don't really need to overgear the floors by much, just keep moving forward and don't look back.

Garlador

Man, the collector's editions for FFXIV just keep going up in price... First it was $80, then $120, now $199...

That's getting a tad too rich for my blood, no matter how cool the statue looks.

Wish there was more of a mid-tier version.

wamberz1

Man, the collector's editions for FFXIV just keep going up in price... First it was $80, then $120, now $199...

That's getting a tad too rich for my blood, no matter how cool the statue looks.

Wish there was more of a mid-tier version.
That cover art, hnnnnnnng it's making me break my vow to only buy digital

Hikami

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with DRK.

I keep running out of MP and seem to take way more damage than when I play PLD with equal gear.

B.K.

Does anyone know of a guide for the boss on level 50 of Palace of the Dead? I was in a group that got there and didn't last long.

Bebpo

Banned
Beat Turn 9 Coil unsync after like 3 parties. The Kamazine group on Excalibur were great. Hell, the guild leader's paladin survived a megaflare with 1 meteor still on the field :eek:

Been skipping all the cutscenes to keep up with everyone, so gonna watch all of Coil so far and then get started on Final Coil tomorrow. Turn 5 & Turn 9 were fun.

Haly

Does anyone know of a guide for the boss on level 50 of Palace of the Dead? I was in a group that got there and didn't last long.

In Health: Two Part AoE. One is move away. One is move close. If either hits anyone, a floor rune lights up. I think it lights up only once per cast of either AoE (the order of which is random).
Cold Feet: Roomwide AoE. If you're facing her when it goes off, you are feared for 10 seconds. Recognizable by the purple Eye graphic.
Dark Harvest: Single target damage thingie, dunno anymore than that.
Black-something: Roomwide AoE that deals more damage the more runes light up. At 4 runes it's pretty much wipe.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with DRK.

I keep running out of MP and seem to take way more damage than when I play PLD with equal gear.

Use Syphon Strike to get back MP.

Shadowskin --- > Rampart

Shadow Wall ---> Sentinel (except it's 30% not 40%).

Dark Mind ---> 10% less magic damage (30% when boosted with Dark Arts).

Reprisal ---> 10% less damage.

Dark Dance ---: 30% increased parry.

If you're trying to pull a group of enemies and you somehow are almost out of mana don't be afraid to turn off Darkside until you get things under control. Also make sure you are using Blood Price for group pulls.

Blood Weapon is good too.

B.K.

I think a big part of my problem playing the game is there's too much going on at once. I don't know how I'm supposed to keep track of AoEs, the name of the attack that's charging, who has hate, my HP, and when abilities are up all at the same time. Bosses are very stressful for me.

SkyOdin

I think a big part of my problem playing the game is there's too much going on at once. I don't know how I'm supposed to keep track of AoEs, the name of the attack that's charging, who has hate, my HP, and when abilities are up all at the same time. Bosses are very stressful for me.
Changing whoch Job you use might help. There is a big difference in how easy it is to manage different classes, though preference and familiarity have a big impact on that.

The real trick is knowing how to narrow it down to what you need to worry about at any given time. Keeping track of everything at once is overwhelming, but you usually don't need to. For example, unless you are the healer, hp values are someone else's problem. You just need to get more experience, so you better understand when to focus your attention on dodging, and when to put all your mental energy on your attack rotation. It is okay to slack off on one or the other in most content, depending on the situation.

Usually, the first time you do a fight is the most stressful. It gets easier the more times you repeat it, since you know what you are in for.

Lanrutcon

Have a SCH?

But seriously: I've gone through that fight multiple times as a SCH, and you can just shield people through most of the crap. Not sure how one does that fight without a healer apart from not stepping in the red bits and not looking at her for cold feet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Have a SCH?

But seriously: I've gone through that fight multiple times as a SCH, and you can just shield people through most of the crap. Not sure how one does that fight without a healer apart from not stepping in the red bits and not looking at her for cold feet.
As someone who soled it as a WAR - you can dodge most of her attacks and just use self heals and HQ max potions (which you get a ton if in PotD) when off cooldown.

Lanrutcon

As someone who soled it as a WAR - you can dodge most of her attacks and just use self heals and HQ max potions (which you get a ton if in PotD) when off cooldown.

Liar.

Everyone forgets about their potions the moment they set foot in POTD. It's practically a game mechanic.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Liar.

Everyone forgets about their potions the moment they set foot in POTD. It's practically a game mechanic.
Are you kidding? I started using potions thanks to PotD!
It was mostly because of my solo run and having 400+ HQ max potions in my inventory, but now I use them on other occassions as well. So good.

Lanrutcon

Are you kidding? I started using potions thanks to PotD!
It was mostly because of my solo run and having 400+ HQ max potions in my inventory, but now I use them on other occassions as well. So good.

:p

You would be amazed how many people just straight up never use them.

"Dude.You're slowly dying of pox. Use some potions."
"wut"
"Potions"
"wut"
"..."

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
All that info is displayed on your hud but isn't explained well at all in game.

Cast attacks are displayed as the white bar on the target bar.

On that image the Desert Peiste is casting Body Slam.

If the fight requires you to target multiple enemies and keep track of a boss casting specific attacks, you can right click/square button the boss to make him the Focus Target. This will give you a mini target bar of that enemy and his cast bar no matter who you target.

White mage in that shot is targeting himself while seeing the Betrayed Soul cast Stone via the Focus Target bar.

Hate is telegraphed via the party menu and the enemy list. In the party menu there's letters, numbers, and bars underneath the class icon that designate the current hate levels of your current target. "A" is the person with hate, 2 is 2 on the list, 3 is 3, and 4 is 4. The bars let you know how close you are to "A"/pulling hate away.

The enemy list is a simplified version of your personal hate levels with all the enemies on the field.

The colored shapes on the left signal hate. The order goes green/minimal hate levels, yellow, orange, red/max hate.

I completely understand how you can be overwhelmed by all this info being thrown at you all over the screen, I felt that way myself when I first tried healing. What I did to fix it was to go into the hud menu and move things around to make it easier for me to get that info without having to look away from the boss. Specifically I moved the party list from the corner to off center right, lowered the focus bar a bit so it would be closer to the party menu, moved the enemy list to the right side of my screen next to the party menu, and lowered my buff bar to the top of my crossbar so now all that info is localized around one spot and I can see everything without losing track of what's going on in the fight.

If none of that helps, then yeah try a simpler job like dps till you get the hang of it.

IvorB

Eh just play DPS. Bosses can still be stressful but a lot less so.

I think my new pet peeve in XIV is dungeon tanks who try to tank out of aggro stance and lose hate to me on bosses, despite them having better gear.

The worst is that they're totally fine losing hate to me and letting me die until I tell them to put on Grit/Defiance etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom