• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

Is there a way to only subscribe for one month? So far, I had to input my credit card to pay for one month, and then unassociate the credit card from my account. That's not very elegant.
That's easy: just sign up for a subscription like normal, then immediately cancel your subscription using the "cancel subscription" button. That stops any future automatic payments, but you still have the thirty days to play that you just bought.

Leunam

How do people keep up with all the boss gimmicks in the game? Every boss is complicated. Does everyone just keep a wiki up on a second monitor?

A lot of mechanics are marked by specific indicators, and those indicators don't change often. So you'll have a single 'stack' marker that gets used in every other fight and you can react right away. When all else fails, if you aren't completely sure, just run away from everyone if you're marked with something.

Squishy3

I know I'm far from the smartest guy around, but I don't see how anyone can memorize so many bosses.
It becomes muscle memory after a point and a lot of the fights in the game borrow/remix existing mechanics from other encounters, so it's not as hard to remember things as you might think. They've been consistent with the markers this expansion as well, making the stuff that's unique to each encounter stand out while stuff that's simple like the Earthshaker marker (little white indicator above your head) means a straight line attack hits anyone standing in front of that person.

yaffi

I've been watching MTQCapture videos on Youtube for hard stuff that I'm about to do and I keep wikis open on another monitor. FFXI and XIV make me glad to have two monitors. I don't know what I would do without them.

I mentioned something like that a few days ago, but it isn't all that difficult to memorize stuff that concerns only you and the class you're playing.

I mean, those guides always explain everything for everyone, but you don't play all the classes simultaneously, right?

You really only have to look out for a fraction of what's happening most of the time. Also if it's different phases it's even easier.

Zuly

I know I'm far from the smartest guy around, but I don't see how anyone can memorize so many bosses.

You learn one dance at a time. It's easy to forget the mechanics of content you haven't done in a while but once you see the dance, you remember the steps. The more you do an encounter, the easier it becomes muscle memory. As someone previously mentioned, a lot of the markers repeat themselves, so even in a new encounter, you have an idea of how to deal with a mechanic while going in blind.

xxczx

I spent my Sunday making a site for my FC plus an access page to my Discord & PvPaissa. I'm going to be adding more stuff in the future like Aether/Primal FCs/LS. It was pretty fun to do!

I am surprised by how easy it was to use Discord.

When I cleared Sophia EX the guy who carried posted an url and as soon as you put it into your browser you are in the chat without having to install any programs or anything.

Gpose is actually pretty cool once you mess around with some of the options.

FnoUiAf.jpg

3JI0ji8.png

Still trying to figure out which lighting options are the best.

wamberz1

Man, I really wanna start tanking but I just can't deal with the anxiety.

Every time I do a trial and someone dies I can't help but think OH GOD DID I SCREW UP IM NOT SURE IM SO SORRY even if it's clearly not my fault.

dramatis

Every time I do a trial and someone dies I can't help but think OH GOD DID I SCREW UP IM NOT SURE IM SO SORRY even if it's clearly not my fault.
The way I learned to be a tank is to be completely shameless and get people killed.

ebil

The way I learned to be a tank is to be completely shameless and get people killed.
Pretty much. Don't care one bit. Get in, keep hate on whatever you're supposed to (this is the actual important part and it's very easy to do), pop cooldowns, get out, get your commendations anyway.

As long as you have a basic understanding of the fight it's actually pretty hard to really screw up tanking in this game.

Cmagus

I wouldn't worry about it too much everyone has to learn. I just started DRK the other day and was a bit overwhelmed by starting at 30 with all the skills and honestly I just ran the first 4 tiers of POTD over and over till I went from 30-50 and until till I was comfortable with the job. In between I did my daily leveling roulette and got some real dungeon experience and now it's natural. Who cares what people think you're the tank you control the pace of the run if they don't like it oh well and if someone dies it's the healers fault, it's always the healers fault.

Tanking in MMOs teaches you a healthy hatred for every other player in the game. Once you have learned this, you will happily let anybody in your party die and not feel a thing. At all.

The job of tanking in MMOs is surprisingly straightforward.
(1) Make all the monsters hit you
(2) Don't die

If you have done these two things, you are already doing it right. Anything happens outside of these 2 things you control is not your problem.

Meowster

Gpose is actually pretty cool once you mess around with some of the options.

FnoUiAf.jpg

3JI0ji8.png

Still trying to figure out which lighting options are the best.
I never knew about this. Started tinkering with it tonight before I turned the game off. It's pretty fun to play with and easy enough for the PlayStation. You can get some nice shots with it. Here are some from my guy that I've been playing with.

I never knew about this. Started tinkering with it tonight before I turned the game off. It's pretty fun to play with and easy enough for the PlayStation. You can get some nice shots with it. Here are some from my guy that I've been playing with.

There you go. Both of those look great. This is the first time I've seen this sort of feature in an MMO.

What is Gpose? An emote?

You type in /gpose and it brings up camera/screen filter controls so you can setup your own screenshots. You can do things like do an emote then enter gpose and it will replay the emote there so you can freeze frame it where you want it for a screenshot. Here's some more I just took.

kagamin

So... I had my first run in with the Aquapolis yesterday, it was absolutely beautiful, not only did we make it to the end (holy shit those odds), but we got the rainbow proc after the doors closed 3 TIMES IN A ROW.

Pachimari

Special camera mode with effects for taking screenshots.

There you go. Both of those look great. This is the first time I've seen this sort of feature in an MMO.

You type in /gpose and it brings up camera/screen filter controls so you can setup your own screenshots. You can do things like do an emote then enter gpose and it will replay the emote there so you can freeze frame it where you want it for a screenshot. Here's some more I just took.

Its a photo mode for taking screenshots of your character.

You use it by typing /Gpose in the chat window.

Then press Square if on PS4 to show the options display.

Oh, they implemented the new camera features already!? Oh wow, should have known that yesterday when I took a lot of screenshots. This is nice! Thanks.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So... I had my first run in with the Aquapolis yesterday, it was absolutely beautiful, not only did we make it to the end (holy shit those odds), but we got the rainbow proc after the doors closed 3 TIMES IN A ROW.
I did one multiple map run since Aquapolis was introduced and we got to go inside 3 or 4 times and cleared it twice iirc. It was amazing, but I was surprised at how many times we got the rainbow proc. I love that place.

walei

Argh... I joined at least ten Zurvan "Clear Party, Know All Mechanics Incl. Tether!" PF over the weekend and still couldn't clear. Someone always messes up at tether.

I even joined one group that only had one other person who haven't cleared yet and STILL failed due to that person couldn't do the mechanics past Southern Cross.

kagamin

Argh... I joined at least ten Zurvan "Clear Party, Know All Mechanics Incl. Tether!" PF over the weekend and still couldn't clear. Someone always messes up at tether.

I even joined one group that only had one other person who haven't cleared yet and STILL failed due to that person couldn't do the mechanics past Southern Cross.

BvMo7mH.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hit 50 on WHM today. So many Darkhold runs ughhhh (though to be completely honest, I was running it for multiple reasons: good XP, loot that sells for a lot on the market, and fuck healing Aurum Vale). I probably should have waited until I got Ironworks boots to take this, but whatever.

wamberz1

Pretty much. Don't care one bit. Get in, keep hate on whatever you're supposed to (this is the actual important part and it's very easy to do), pop cooldowns, get out, get your commendations anyway.

As long as you have a basic understanding of the fight it's actually pretty hard to really screw up tanking in this game.

I wouldn't worry about it too much everyone has to learn. I just started DRK the other day and was a bit overwhelmed by starting at 30 with all the skills and honestly I just ran the first 4 tiers of POTD over and over till I went from 30-50 and until till I was comfortable with the job. In between I did my daily leveling roulette and got some real dungeon experience and now it's natural. Who cares what people think you're the tank you control the pace of the run if they don't like it oh well and if someone dies it's the healers fault, it's always the healers fault.

Tanking in MMOs teaches you a healthy hatred for every other player in the game. Once you have learned this, you will happily let anybody in your party die and not feel a thing. At all.

The job of tanking in MMOs is surprisingly straightforward.
(1) Make all the monsters hit you
(2) Don't die

If you have done these two things, you are already doing it right. Anything happens outside of these 2 things you control is not your problem.

Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I just have to get used to it... I do find tanking to be a ton of fun so I don't wanna give it up. I'll try to care less.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If you're too self-conscious remember that most people don't know what the hell they're doing either.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Who cares what people think you're the tank you control the pace of the run if they don't like it oh well and if someone dies it's the healers fault, it's always the healers fault.

Having spent the majority of the past couple weeks healing, I've seen wayyyy too many overzealous tanks who think they can handle far more than they actually can to believe this is true. :lol

ebil

Having spent the majority of the past couple weeks healing, I've seen wayyyy too many overzealous tanks who think they can handle far more than they actually can to believe this is true. :lol
It's still the healer's fault. Shifting the blame towards your healer is a part of your tanking rotation.

Heartfyre

It's still the healer's fault. Shifting the blame towards your healer is a part of your tanking rotation.

I actually had a tank apologise to me for dying before I could heal them after they aggro'd every bit of trash they could find and never popped any cooldowns.

I was too stunned to respond.

jb1234

Thanks for the advice guys. Guess I just have to get used to it... I do find tanking to be a ton of fun so I don't wanna give it up. I'll try to care less.

I'm very self-conscious as a tank myself. Fortunately, most people I've encountered in parties have been pretty nice about it, especially if I let them know ahead of time it's my first time in the dungeon. Most people also understood (as I was a Paladin) that I was fairly limited in my enmity attracting abilities until I reached level 40.

There have been a couple of people who have tried to tell me how to do my job (unsolicited) and I've mostly ignored them (and then vented to my FC once I could, haha).

I'm at the final dungeons in the ARR storyline now and not sure how to proceed with them. I know I'll get forced to skip the cutscenes with the Duty Finder and while the story hasn't been riveting, the context would be nice to see.

I'm very self-conscious as a tank myself. Fortunately, most people I've encountered in parties have been pretty nice about it, especially if I let them know ahead of time it's my first time in the dungeon. Most people also understood (as I was a Paladin) that I was fairly limited in my enmity attracting abilities until I reached level 40.

There have been a couple of people who have tried to tell me how to do my job (unsolicited) and I've mostly ignored them (and then vented to my FC once I could, haha).

I'm at the final dungeons in the ARR storyline now and not sure how to proceed with them. I know I'll get forced to skip the cutscenes with the Duty Finder and while the story hasn't been riveting, the context would be nice to see.

If you want to see the cutscenes, you can see if you can get people from your FC to join a run that lets you see them in context.

iammeiam

That's a good idea. Can they be done with fewer than eight people? Might be hard to get that many people on board.

They can be solo'd by many (maybe all now? it's been a while) jobs at level 60; if you want a real safe and quick run, grab a level 60 tank and healer and you're set.

Squishy3

Something fun I found while digging around during a lore discussion in my FC discord:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ighlight=warriors+darkness+elezen#post3680214

The Heart of Sabik seemed very important, but it was never mentioned again. Is it out of play?

Koji Fox: It's gonna come back. And before the expansion. That's all you get!

Oh hey, something else fun too:

East of Ala Mhigo, there's a land-bridge leading into what has been identified only as Garlean territory. The other continents are oft spoken of, but in vague terms. Some interpreted the land-bridge as leading into Ilsabard, which both continues north but connects to Othard in the east, while others have interpreted it as Othard itself, continuing east with Ilsabard connecting to it directly north. Can we clear that up?

KF: Guess where Rabanastre iiis! <laughs> There's also a line in the Japanese version where they name-drop Dalmasss&#8212;<throat clearing> It's not in English, but that's where it is and maybe someday we'll be seeing some of <heavy throat clearing>. But yes, that land bridge connects directly to Ilsabard. You cannot get to Othard from there without going through Ilsabard. So there's the land bridge and it goes into Islabard <emphatic hand gestures>.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom