• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

just get 1 class to 60 1st is what i'd suggest
there's an exp bonus that counts the highest leveled class you have, so if you have a level 60 then when you're leveling an alt class then the exp bonus will be max (before additional stuff like guild bonus, food bonus, etc) compared to having a level 30 then leveling alt

suzu

Dresden keeps telling me to try out other classes before committing too much to lancer. I don't know if it's actual advice, or if it's part of a long con where he and haly try to get me to play a tank or healer because they're both dps. On one hand I feel it's probably good to try out the range of roles to see what clicks best with me. On the other hand I'm a stubborn turd who tends to stick with game decisions I've made based on totally arbitrary reasons (in this case it's because after creating my character, a spear looked the best when I was scrolling through the classes and looking at the pose).

._.

Tank queues are tasty.. healer isn't too shabby either. You can always pop into Palace of the Dead as another class and see how it feels (the leveling system in there is different/faster).

Glamour is the true game anyway. :p

iammeiam

Honestly there's no real danger of getting locked into anything at this point--the only time you really lock yourself into anything is when spending the weekly capped tome currency on gear, and that's not a factor until after finishing Heavensward, they're bumping the tome cap up in the near future, and if Diadem 2.0 has gear there'll be multiple avenues to endgame gear that's just going to be obsolete in Stormblood anyway.

Basically play something you enjoy to get through the main story since you can always just go back and level something else at any point anyway; pre-Stormblood a Dragoon is going to want to get Marauder (tank job that turns into WAR eventually) to 26 for Mercy Stroke anyway, and you'll have to level Pugilist to unlock Dragoon. Leveling at cap is no big deal and if you play for long enough you'll probably end up being multiple things for queue carry swapping anyway.

Kenai

Dresden keeps telling me to try out other classes before committing too much to lancer. I don't know if it's actual advice, or if it's part of a long con where he and haly try to get me to play a tank or healer because they're both dps. On one hand I feel it's probably good to try out the range of roles to see what clicks best with me. On the other hand I'm a stubborn turd who tends to stick with game decisions I've made based on totally arbitrary reasons (in this case it's because after creating my character, a spear looked the best when I was scrolling through the classes and looking at the pose).

._.

I've been healing in MMOs for a long time and FFXIV does a great job of mitigating or outright eliminating two of the biggest problems with older iterations of the role (s).

1) You can actually solo all of the solo content about as well as anyone else

2) You can switch if you either want a break from it or want to change your "main" entirely without rerolling.

Don't feel too attached to one job too quickly, try them all and make sure (though to be fair some like BLM and AST are much more boring at low levels). I agree sticking through one to completion of the MSQ is definitely the most efficient thanks to PotD, but don't feel required to if you're really not feeling a job l;ater on. They change and feel different as you level them.

kagamin

Although I dropped Dragoon like a rock after I started Pugilist (I just really like playing Monk honestly) I found Scholar equally satisfying to play, because Scholar's heals rely more on shielding the party or tank at specific times instead of nuking whenever everyone gets low (still an option but tied to a cooldown that gives you 3 stacks to either heal with, energy drain to get MP back, or put down an AOE that reduces damage inside it). I just enjoy playing it for the utility it has, which is kind of the opposite of Monk where it only does one thing really well, single target DPS and that's all.

duckroll

Interesting range of advice. Thanks. I think I'm going to keep playing until I get further in the game before I make any decisions about switching. Might as well get Lancer to 30, clear Titan, unlock all the lvl30-ish stuff like combat chocobo and so on, before trying out a Marauder to get a feel for tanking. Then I can see how much I like the actual Dragoon job from there. It definitely helps knowing that XIV doesn't lock anything in, and having a high level class makes it easier to level lower level classes.

Interesting range of advice. Thanks. I think I'm going to keep playing until I get further in the game before I make any decisions about switching. Might as well get Lancer to 30, clear Titan, unlock all the lvl30-ish stuff like combat chocobo and so on, before trying out a Marauder to get a feel for tanking. Then I can see how much I like the actual Dragoon job from there. It definitely helps knowing that XIV doesn't lock anything in, and having a high level class makes it easier to level lower level classes.

You should try out Ninja for sure.

They are really fun to play once you get into the proper mindset.

Foxxsoxx

If you want anyone to play with feel free to hit me up. I'm playing through on my first time as a Bard. Just hit 38 and am about to do Titan soon.

These starter zones are pretty dead, it gets lonely ;-;

Yeah I'm wanting to give Ninja a try in the future as well as a black mage and samurai once the expansion hits.

On another note, am I crazy or is the ARR story leveling up dull as all hell? I like the combat but I just did a quest where I traveled the world for hours to do some feast and it was
literally them just doing it for the lulz when Titan is such a huge threat? Totally made me less interested in him being a Primal or even a threat at all when no one takes you seriously since you're gathering fucking wine lol

I didn't really start enjoying DRG until level 60. Blood of the Dragoon makes things so much more interesting.... and frustrating depending on the fight.

Whenever I go back and do a lvl 50 trial in the roulette its like this is so boring. >.>

yami4ct

I started off not too long ago too and ended up on Dragoon as well, Duckroll. I personally find the job super fun and trying to handle keeping out of AOEs while keeping my rotation up keeps me interested enough and you get to look super cool doing it. Getting some of the HW tools now (Just about to hit 58) and those make the class hugely more dynamic. XIV is my first MMO, though, so I guess YMMV

Thinking of maybe leveling as a tank, probably DRK, before Stormblood just to have something to pull out when running with my FC, give me a second play style and maybe use to help with queue times if Stormblood queues go real bad.

kagamin

On another note, am I crazy or is the ARR story leveling up dull as all hell? I like the combat but I just did a quest where I traveled the world for hours to do some feast and it was
literally them just doing it for the lulz when Titan is such a huge threat? Totally made me less interested in him being a Primal or even a threat at all when no one takes you seriously since you're gathering fucking wine lol

Probably the slowest part of all the story so far, I didn't really mind (I don't mind a lot of things so don't let it bother you) but I know a lot of people detest that part for just being slow and drawn out.

Also just started out my Anima for my Monk tonight, finished up my Wind Luminous Crystals in 30 minutes. The rest of this probably isn't going to be nearly as easy but you know, I was glad since all I wanna do is go to bed now. :p

Foxxsoxx

Probably the slowest part of all the story so far, I didn't really mind (I don't mind a lot of things so don't let it bother you) but I know a lot of people detest that part for just being slow and drawn out.

Yeah as a joke quest chain it's pretty funny and the devs obviously tried to have fun with it but from plot point it's just like wat why.

I'm liking the game but it feels weird how the games zones are spread out like FF12. Coming from games like WoW and even Runescape back in the day where you can run across the map seamlessly it's just odd, especially since the zones feel pretty empty besides enemies. Also the GCD seems pretty long compared to other MMOs which might not be a bad thing at later levels but is really odd when you only have 4 or 5 abilities to use leveling up.

Graphically some areas look pretty good but others look just awful, I really wish they took a bit of a different approach with the art style in the environments. I haven't reached HS content yet so maybe that looks better, but these starter zones are eeeesh.

As for the things I like, they nailed controller support and the job system is really cool. The armor sets I've seen on higher level players look great and I like how different all the classes are from one another.

kagamin

Graphically some areas look pretty good but others look just awful, I really wish they took a bit of a different approach with the art style in the environments. I haven't reached HS content yet so maybe that looks better, but these starter zones are eeeesh.

Mor Dhona with Gloom in particular looks fantastic, and The Black Shroud with Tension as well, but that's exclusive to Odin's fate appearing in the world. In general I like the weather effects in the game, even if it does rain a very unreasonable amount in a certain place ironically named Drybone.

duckroll

I would love to play with others but my timezone makes it hard except on weekends. Since I'm focused on getting through the story first, I don't really feel the urge to so much coordination to get parties together yet. Since it looks like there are quite a few of us playing from scratch recently, maybe in a few weeks or so we can organize some later game raids together? I expect there to be more coordination when dealing with HW content at least. I dunno. Good thing the game's fun solo! :)

I'm liking the game but it feels weird how the games zones are spread out like FF12. Coming from games like WoW and even Runescape back in the day where you can run across the map seamlessly it's just odd, especially since the zones feel pretty empty besides enemies. Also the GCD seems pretty long compared to other MMOs which might not be a bad thing at later levels but is really odd when you only have 4 or 5 abilities to use leveling up.

Yes this something I immediately noticed about the game. It's heavily zoned, and it reminds me a hell lot of FFXII. Is it bad that I think... it's... a good thing? Lol. We all need more FFXII in our lives. :(

Foxxsoxx

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this felt a lot like FF12 in the zone department.

Hell even graphically I think it looks very similar. I know it's hyperbole but it looks like a 1080p FF12 MMO game xD

I can't tell whether I like it or not, the zones are FF like to me but as an MMO I don't think it works well? It makes it feel more like a single player game honestly.

I also went a few pages back and saw the post about them removing butts when 2.0 hit and I can't unsee it now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Remember that once you unlock floor 51 in PotD you can start there with any class on lv 60 with all skills unlocked. Once you get a grasp of new skills it's a great way to check how you feel about a job.

duckroll

FFXIV ARR is a lot like FFXII because it literally has a huge chunk of the FFXII team working on it. The (visual) director of FFXII, Minagawa, is the UI director of XIV. Everything from the dotted lines marking zone exits to the target lines that pop up in combat are meant to feel like FFXII. None of this is a bad thing.

As for the game feeling like a SP game rather than a MMO, I definitely agree there too. Aside from the player population helping to give diversity and life to the towns and the roads, there isn't really much MMO feel in terms of the gameplay. The design early game where I am is heavily solo-centric, and all multiplayer parts are so instanced it could have come out of something like PSO or Monster Hunter instead. But... I guess I don't see that as a bad thing either. Considering how the game is designed, with the story being a linear path all the way through expansions and stuff, they sort of have to keep players "apart" in a sense to give each player the sense of playing through their adventure as the central hero.

Remember that once you unlock floor 51 in PotD you can start there with any class on lv 60 with all skills unlocked. Once you get a grasp of new skills it's a great way to check how you feel about a job.

Telling me to "remember" stuff I don't even know... ;_;

I'm a noob!

But... noted.

Foxxsoxx

Holy shit something happened in the story.

Please keep it up and don't become another slog XD

Anyway off to bed, at least that was interesting! I totally forgot this game had a warring faction. (with that sick FF12 armor might I add, please tell me there are some gear sets modeled after those).

Robin64

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/436356/final-fantasy-xiv-mascot-figure-seated-nanamo

This is adorable. I want it.

413d2abb25c21586e7b29631d877b034_1920_KR.jpg
20170215_yn_1.jpg

Pachimari

I got 27 MSQs left of ARR, and today I'm gonna farm the hell out of the PotD!
I at least want to get from lvl 42 > 44 today. That should only be around 6 rounds of it.

Pachimari

Something I've been unsure of.

If I do a basic attack like "heavy shot" and then does a "bloodletter", will it cancel the first attack, or is it just the animation that gets cancelled but it does both attacks?

Something I've been unsure of.

If I do a basic attack like "heavy shot" and then does a "bloodletter", will it cancel the first attack, or is it just the animation that gets cancelled but it does both attacks?
Just the animation, you're supposed to use OGCDs abilities like Bloodletter like that.

Pachimari

Just the animation, you're supposed to use OGCDs abilities like Bloodletter like that.

Yeah that's what I thought. And the ones with a yellow dotted outline are the ones I can combo into.

And goddamn there's dinosaurs up in this game! I thought it was only Brave Exvius which had them, and I love them!

ebil

Yeah that's what I thought. And the ones with a yellow dotted outline are the ones I can combo into.

And goddamn there's dinosaurs up in this game! I thought it was only Brave Exvius which had them, and I love them!
They're either combos or procs. Heavy Shot has a chance to trigger Straighter Shot, which makes your next Straight Shot a guaranteed crit.

draw4wild

After getting ninja to 52, I decided I can't handle that class. On the PS4 controller I had trouble figuring out a scheme to be able to keep up everything I'm supposed to keep up plus have room for ninjutsu, and that's before adding in any HW skills. Also, in groups I was messing up ninjutsu a lot due to small amounts of input lag. I had all the mudras on the dpad and it consistently wouldn't count the hit on ninjutsu at the end which would make it bunny out on me

I switched back to my old Summoner and am enjoying it much more, plus I like being able to see more of the battlefield as ranged. I think the only thing I hate about Summoner is how stupid most of the books look. Hopefully I can just keep using my old Novus as glamour.

Gonna definitely give machinist a try once I unlock it and try to go into SB with Summoner/Machinist at 60.

Also, some of the enemy models in PotD are amazing. I'm assuming they appear in HW zones which is why I haven't seen them yet but once you start seeing the knights and manticores and angels it's impressive

I think Garuda was my favorite primal fight so far!
Some interesting stuff going on that made it a lot of fun to see everybody running around, haha.
Now I've got only 15 or so quests until I need to be at level 49 so it's gonna take a good amount of grinding.
Luckily I actually kinda enjoy FATES and Leves, at least more than I do PotD, haha.

Luigi87

Quick question, I'll be leveling Arcanist to 30, and then leveling Conjurer to unlock Scholar.
After that, are there any specific cross class skills I should aim to get?

wamberz1

Quick question, I'll be leveling Arcanist to 30, and then leveling Conjurer to unlock Scholar.
After that, are there any specific cross class skills I should aim to get?
Swiftcast from THM is a big one.
You'll get Protect and Cleric Stance from leveling CNJ to be SCH anyway which are important as well.

aceface

MogCakes

Is there a way to turn off egi glamours? I've been trying to revert back to my ifrit-egi for an hour with no luck. /egiglamour "Ifrit-Egi" "Ifrit-Egi" doesn't work. What it seems like is once you glam your pet, you're stuck with one of the three carbuncle options. I don't know how to turn them off.

EDIT: finally found it. it's just /egiglamour "Ifrit-Egi".

I finally watched The Fall and Rise of FFXIV last evening.

Man. I knew the game was bad but I didn't know it was this bad. The launch combat system... I couldn't even figure it out.

15 Triple Triad cards left, and less than 300k mgp before I can get Cloud and Sabotender cards. 4 of those remaining 13 are Dissidia cards(WoL, Cecil, Tidus, Lightning), 3 of them are from playing NPCs, and the rest are from dungeons (Belladonna, The Griffin, Charibert) and trials (Thordan, Sephirot, Zurvan).

I have yet to clear Sephirot or Thordan EX, and those dungeons are real pains with garbage drop rates, it looks.

Oh, and Cecil, Tidus, and Lightning are locked to tournament reward packs that are 90% Shiva, 5% Ultima Weapon, and 1% anything else.

:(

Alright GAF, here's my 3rd go around with FF14, lol. It's weird because I love the game, I would just get a little burned out. So I've got a level 43 Dragoon on Ultros, then I started a Black Mage and loved it, got that to 21 before realizing I should've just changed my Dragoon to a Mage instead of a new character (doh).

My 2nd go around I came back and thought I'd like a tank, so I made a Paladin and got him to 41, and I actually love the class.

My 3rd go around I'm either gonna decide between the above 3 classes or maybe even try a healer, so I'd change of my guys into a healer (most likely Paladin since his Conj is already 15). What would GAF say is up my alley? I healed in WoW for over 3 years, but also did the DPS thang for the first 4 at least.

Black mage seems really fun and somewhat straight forward, but I have always loved to heal. I've watched videos and it can be rough sometimes but White Mage looks like tons of fun. Only thing with WHM is the solo aspect, how good is it? Or should I stick to Hunting Logs/Dungeons a lot?

A side question - If I change my Paladin's class to Conj, it get's a level 40% boost, right?

Thorgal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom