• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagamin

Hold on to that feeling, my friend. Eventually you will run into The Overgeared Dps, The AFK Healer or The Know It All Tank On His DPS Alt.

AFK Healing is easy in Tam-Tara though, especially if the Tank is new and doesn't do big pulls, I basically put on /follow and let Eos do her job. :p

Foxxsoxx

ARRs quest system in a nutshell.

Step 1 do menial tasks for villagers because x npc doesn't trust y motivations.

Step 2 Finish menial task and do slightly less menial task while your progress is further halted by x npc halting y action.

Step 3 Npc betrays character, usually very easy to see coming within the first encounter of said NPC.

Step 4, goal that you were looking for was right around the corner and would have taken anyone 5 minutes of their time to point out, however every NPC in FF14 is a dick.

Step 5, reveal plans of bad guy npc and become heralded hero of location.

Step 6, travel to new location and repeat step 1-6.

High Allagan Spear it looks like.

LOL. it totally would drop in T9. The one 2.0 content that you can't just faceroll unsynced, assuming you can even find anyone to run it with you in the first place w/o having a poetics bonus. >.>

Not gonna torture myself just for the glamour.

LOL. it totally would drop in T9. The one 2.0 content that you can't just faceroll unsynced, assuming you can even find anyone to run it with you in the first place w/o having a poetics bonus. >.>

Last I checked you can faceroll it! Hell, you can kinda-sorta faceroll A4S if you get people who can do the... royal... p-- what was it? ANYWAY.

Omni

Last I checked you can faceroll it! Hell, you can kinda-sorta faceroll A4S if you get people who can do the... royal... p-- what was it? ANYWAY.
Pretty sure last time I farmed A4s we killed it at the first set of pentacles. Or even before. Don't even have to know how to do those any more

Everyone can get those welfare Gobwalkers now xD

How can tanks and healers solo the main story quest?

Healers have Cleric Stance that swaps their Mind attribute with Intelligence, so their usual offensive spells hit more than a wet blanket.

The tanks are capable of killing things on their own as well, some perhaps considerably more efficiently than others. Heck, Warriors are practically pseudo-DPS already.

Rynam

Just have a Tank that Spins Nael and fucks up her AI. :>

Don't forget the dps that run in, aggro a whole room, and bitch when they die.

That was me when I was still learning, it had been so easy to just kill everything so fast that I didn't even think and rushed in Diablo 3 style. Whole party just cracked up laughing, all realizing how green I was.

I didn't bitch though, I thought it was funny.

Currently at lvl 28 going for ninja. Are they solid for DPS? How do they do st higher levels when questing?

I've had no issues, I've only played with a controller so some stuff is a little tougher, like raids. But the DPS is solid.

B-Dex

0_o

It should be cumulative.

Wtf Square indeed.

I double checked. It's one giant 18GB patch. Each file in it is named for a patch apparently. But it still downloads a patch file and then updates then downloads the next one....

ua1X0gK.jpg

I double checked. It's one giant 18GB patch. Each file in it is named for a patch apparently. But it still downloads a patch file and then updates then downloads the next one....

Huh. I hadn't really noticed that before. I guess 100min is better than June, at least ::p

Zuly

Is it possible to get by in most high end content with a controller?
You're fine. Some of the top 1% players use controllers even when playing on PC. There are many tricks that make controller easy.

(I'm terrible at controller so someone else could help you with them)

iammeiam

Is it possible to get by in most high end content with a controller?

The only scenarios that I feel like controller is a real barrier on:
- Healing outside your party in a 24-man alliance; there's some way to scroll through the alliance list but I don't do it enough to care so I end up just tabbing through a billion people
- 72 man PVP as a DPS, particularly Shatter. Targeting the crystal can be a struggle.

Neither is insurmountable, but both can be frustrating for control reasons.

Everything else is a matter of just working out crossbars that make sense to you, making use of extended bars, setting up target filtering, and adjusting the camera to Maximize tab target convenience.

Also Verminion kind of sucks on controller but nobody cares about Verminion.

Edzi

Everything else is a matter of just working out crossbars that make sense to you, making use of extended bars, setting up target filtering, and adjusting the camera to Maximize tab target convenience.

Is there a place I can go to read about how to set some of this stuff up/good practices/habits for controllers? Seems like it'd be useful to figure out how I could actually configure things since I've only been using the default setup.

iammeiam

Is there a place I can go to read about how to set some of this stuff up/good practices/habits for controllers? Seems like it'd be useful to figure out how I could actually configure things since I've only been using the default setup.

This is probably all the information you could ever need about target filtering basics./

Expanded crossbar is just a setting to make L2+R2/R2+L2 pull up a new crossbar that you map skills to. You can google around to find job-specific crossbar layouts; there's also the new W-hotbar but it's super situational and not worth worrying about until you have a problem the normal crossbar can't handle which in a lot of cases never happens.

The camera thing is just that if you're using left and right on the Dpad to scroll through targets, it only scrolls through things the camera can 'see'. You can restrict the number of things you have to click through by positioning the camera to limit what's on screen/preposition the camera to make it easier to drop targeted AOE skills.

draw4wild

After 3 days of switching back to summoner, all the muscle memory from my old hotbar setup came back. I was so happy with how I had it set up at 50 and now I'm worried about trying to find spots for the HW skills that will seem intuitive.

I'm not good at macros but I know there's a way to do this if someone can help. Basically I want it macroed so when I use Dreadwyrm Trance it switches to a different hotbar that is set up with all the abilities id cast in trance (ruin 3, tri-disaster....)Then a macro to have it switch back to original hotbar when I use Deathflare

Pollux

Good advice so far. Thanks guys.

What's the best way to level a secondary job?

Have a rogue at 28 and pugilist at 17 but I wanted to mess around with an arcanist and have no clue how to level that up quickly. Currently 4, should I just kill things until 10 and then do leve quests?

Eldren

The only scenarios that I feel like controller is a real barrier on:
- Healing outside your party in a 24-man alliance; there's some way to scroll through the alliance list but I don't do it enough to care so I end up just tabbing through a billion people
- 72 man PVP as a DPS, particularly Shatter. Targeting the crystal can be a struggle.

Neither is insurmountable, but both can be frustrating for control reasons.

Also Verminion kind of sucks on controller but nobody cares about Verminion.

I can't remember where I read this - probably reddit - but I set up a macro on L3 that is just "target of target" so I can target someone who is attacking the crystal and click the left stick to instantly switch to the crystal myself. Much easier than tabbing through a horde of people. It's also useful when DPSing as healer, you can instantly switch between targetting the tank and the boss.

Also the non-alliance target is L1 and left/right on the dpad. Easier than trying to manually target but you have to be in range for it to work. I got a lot of use out of that in this week's Dun Scaith run...

Bowlie

Banned
I went through The Binding and Second Coil of Bahamut with other lvl. 60 players via Party Finder, and I gotta ask:

How the hell was Twintania back in ARR? Someone who had done the raid before but didn't know English very well tried to explain to us what we should do and we wiped 5 times until we got it right. And we were lvl. 60, damn!

There must be some sidequests left for you to do (since you have Rogue and Pugilist, Gridania and the Black Shroud should have some low-level sidequests).

Beyond that, levequests, duty roulettes when you're able to, and maaybe FATEs. I heard that Palace of the Dead is a good way to grind for EXP, but I've never done it :p

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Have a rogue at 28 and pugilist at 17 but I wanted to mess around with an arcanist and have no clue how to level that up quickly. Currently 4, should I just kill things until 10 and then do leve quests?
Palace of the dead. Gives out tons of xp, is quick to get in and out, and has its own leveling and gear system so you can try a lv 60 class (will be a bit gimped without job stone thoug) way before you actually reach 60.

Here's the quest if you haven't unlocked it yet: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_House_That_Death_Built

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom