• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

So I was reading about potd yesterday and I want to try it out soon. Is it recommended to go in with a party or are randoms good enough?

Dresden

So I was reading about potd yesterday and I want to try it out soon. Is it recommended to go in with a party or are randoms good enough?

Randoms are fine, just prepare for some frustration now and then.

To follow on this--I want to try Labyrinth of the Ancients or Binding Coil this weekend, should I go in through Duty Finder or find a party in PF? And is not being at level 60 gonna matter at all?

To follow on this--I want to try Labyrinth of the Ancients or Binding Coil this weekend, should I go in through Duty Finder or find a party in PF? And is not being at level 60 gonna matter at all?

Labyrinth of the Ancients and the other Crystal Tower raids are fine to do with Duty Finder - plenty of people still do them. That'll be synced to level 50. For Binding Coil Duty Finder is not a great idea unless you have infinite patience. Better to make a party in PF - advertise a bonus and you might be able to pull in enough people that way. Even better is if you can ask people in FC/etc. to run them with you. I'd be willing to help with those when I have the time.

Dresden

Labyrinth of the Ancients and the other Crystal Tower raids are fine to do with Duty Finder - plenty of people still do them. That'll be synced to level 50. For Binding Coil Duty Finder is not a great idea unless you have infinite patience. Better to make a party in PF - advertise a bonus and you might be able to pull in enough people that way. Even better is if you can ask people in FC/etc. to run them with you. I'd be willing to help with those when I have the time.

Cool, gonna try Labyrinth first then.

So, at this point. Do we know more, less, or about the same about Stormblood compared to Heavenward?

Think it was the same yeah, which is not that much. The more detailed stuff comes later in the liveletters(I believe they said may for the combat changes details for example).

Foxxsoxx

So I got to the first snowy area with the house clans and castles, the story seems to be picking up finally. Now if only my archer wasn't wearing skin tight stripper gear in the freezing cold I'd be all set.

Edzi

So I got to the first snowy area with the house clans and castles, the story seems to be picking up finally. Now if only my archer wasn't wearing skin tight stripper gear in the freezing cold I'd be all set.

I'm around the same area. I feel like that's where the game starts to get a little grindy, since I found myself constantly under leveled for the next story mission.

I really liked Coerthas. Even the little squabble that happens there just to push you to the next big MSQ event is interesting compared to past stuff.
Also you have Stone Vigil coming up! It's fun, haha.

Edzi

I really liked Coerthas. Even the little squabble that happens there just to push you to the next big MSQ event is interesting compared to past stuff.
Also you have Stone Vigil coming up! It's fun, haha.

Def my favorite area in the game so far. The music just makes it feel so foreboding.

Speaking of music though, is there a reason why most of the time there's just silence while traversing the overworld? Is the music random?

Foxxsoxx

Def my favorite area in the game so far. The music just makes it feel so foreboding.

Speaking of music though, is there a reason why most of the time there's just silence while traversing the overworld? Is the music random?

Yeah the music here is definitely nice, and I do notice that the music just isn't there a lot of the time too.

As for my level, I'm just about to hit 40 and I think my quests are level 36? I did a decent amount of fates and leves though in the 20s.

Edzi

Yeah the music here is definitely nice, and I do notice that the music just isn't there a lot of the time too.

As for my level, I'm just about to hit 40 and I think my quests are level 36? I did a decent amount of fates and leves though in the 20s.

You'll probably be fine. I noticed the grind when I reached lvl 38 quests, but I wasn't really grinding fates or anything until then. I'm lvl 42 now with my next story quest at lvl 41.

What class do you play? We should get some of the gaf beginners together at some point.

Foxxsoxx

You'll probably be fine. I noticed the grind when I reached lvl 38 quests, but I wasn't really grinding fates or anything until then. I'm lvl 42 now with my next story quest at lvl 41.

What class do you play? We should get some of the gaf beginners together at some point.

Bard! I think Duckroll is also around our level if I'm not mistaken.

I'll be playing a bit more tonight after I get off work for probably around 2-3 hours, gotta power through this heap of quest I got arriving at the castle.

Edzi

Bard! I think Duckroll is also around our level if I'm not mistaken.

I'll be playing a bit more tonight after I get off work for probably around 2-3 hours.

Hasn't duckroll only been playing for like a week? Took me a month to reach lvl 40, and that was a year ago lol.

I'm a dragoon, but I'm trying to slowly level up a tank class as well.

Foxxsoxx

Hasn't duckroll only been playing for like a week? Took me a month to reach lvl 40, and that was a year ago lol.

I was level 30 2 days ago, though admittedly I've been playing a lot since they were my days off lol. I haven't been leveling anything else though besides the one to upgrade to bard.

Edzi

I was level 30 2 days ago, though admittedly I've been playing a lot since they were my days off lol. I haven't been leveling anything else though besides the one to upgrade to bard.

Yeah, I just came back to the game a week ago but have been having a tough time getting in more than an hour or two a night. Mostly been trying to do the daily roulette dungeon and some hunting logs to level up a bit, and I'll be trying out the potd soon too since I've heard it's pretty useful.

Zomba13

maybe there's a plot twist and they end up hating each other in real life because they can't clear t5

The real plot twist would be them still liking each other after that.

What is the title of the musical piece that plays in the opening cinematic of Heavensward? I searched for "Heavensward theme" but the results were a vocal track.

HW opening is so good. The recap of 2.55, travelling to Ishgard, the dragons, the little rest, dragooning. Sucks that the CGI team used the wrong dragon model though.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay gang, so I decided to try out a 14-Day trial of ARR. Despite the fact I've got a level 20 cap, any advice before I start it up?

Okay gang, so I decided to try out a 14-Day trial of ARR. Despite the fact I've got a level 20 cap, any advice before I start it up?

Stick to the main story quests, along with blue sidequests, which unlock content.

Ignore every single regular sidequest, unless they give good equipment (you can find out just by talking to the NPC; a window will show you what the quest rewards are)

Foxxsoxx

If you dislike your starter class after level 10 I believe you can just switch classes on your character instead of making a new one, pretty neat feature.

Also I'd avoid the starting town side quests, they're very very slow, just stick with the main quests asap and do fates if you see groups of people doing them, they aren't really worth soloing though.

Vic_Viper

Nice! I can send you a referral if you end up deciding to get the full game! Just PM me with an email.

If anyone else wants to check out the game, I can send you a referral as well ;)

Is Blood for Blood worth going back and getting on a Maurauder for Dark Knight? Its the only cross class skill I dont have out of the recommended cross class skills.

kagamin

They upped the cap to level 35 for the 14 day trial last I checked (at least when I tried out the PS4 version late December).

duckroll

Lvl26 now. Hoping to power through to Titan by the end of the weekend. Might not make it.

ebil

Nice! I can send you a referral if you end up deciding to get the full game! Just PM me with an email.

If anyone else wants to check out the game, I can send you a referral as well ;)

Is Blood for Blood worth going back and getting on a Maurauder for Dark Knight? Its the only cross class skill I dont have out of the recommended cross class skills.
You probably mean Bloodbath and not Blood for Blood, which is a LNC action that you can't cross class on DRK. Honestly it's a level 8 skill so you might as well? But it's mostly garbage on DRK and I almost never slot it.

It basically comes down to Bloodbath or Awareness for your 5th slot, and Awareness has uses on a few bosses and is kind of nice for trash pulls as well.

Luigi87

Stick to the main story quests, along with blue sidequests, which unlock content.

Ignore every single regular sidequest, unless they give good equipment (you can find out just by talking to the NPC; a window will show you what the quest rewards are)

Huh, I was beginning to wonder if I was wasting time doing all the side quests. I'll also keep this in mind.

Huh, I was beginning to wonder if I was wasting time doing all the side quests. I'll also keep this in mind.

Yeah I did every quest up to Lv50 and it was definitely a waste of time. Just do MSQs and quests that unlock content. The gold reward for quests isn't worth it and there are several more efficient ways to grind.

duckroll

I did every single side quest I ran into all the way up to lvl20+ where I did the envoy quest. Once the entire world opened up, I said fuck it. But if you see a blue sidequest with a + sign on it, you should definitely do it because that means it unlocks game features or gives you a new skill or something.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What is the title of the musical piece that plays in the opening cinematic of Heavensward? I searched for "Heavensward theme" but the results were a vocal track.

Have we heard the equivalent piece for Stormblood? We heard a piece of its "theme" the other day, but again, that was the vocal track.
The Stormblood trailer music is probably the equivalent. It sounds a bit messy as a single track, but maybe they'll split it into different tracks once in game. They could use the first section as the motif for ala mhigo, the map section as the new title screen theme, the samurai section as the othard motif, and the final section as the new central motif/Heavensward track equivalent.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay, so whatever 15 gig patch download I need to do before actually starting the game refuses to actually download after about 30 minutes. This has happened thrice now.

Gonna give up on this if this persists.

Killthee

Okay, so whatever 15 gig patch download I need to do before actually starting the game refuses to actually download after about 30 minutes. This has happened thrice now.

Known issue that for some fucking reason Square still hasn't fixed. Changing DNS or using a VPN for the gripe that causes the error fixes the issue for most people. There's dns settings at the bottom of the op you can use and another set here.

check the OP. I had to change the DNA address of my PS4.

So what places are people looking forward to exploring in Stormblood?

Right now I want to explore Kugane the most to see how much of the area you can actually run through. I also want to know what the town music will be like. If it's anything like the trailer then it might just become my new hangout/afk spot.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I actually want to see Ala Mhigo. In between the monks and the towers and statues it has a Tibetan vibe which is pretty unique in MMOs.

Squishy3

I'm most excited to just see what all the enemy and monster designs are. We should get a bunch of unique stuff between arid desert and Othard.

Killthee

So what places are people looking forward to exploring in Stormblood?

Right now I want to explore Kugane the most to see how much of the area you can actually run through. I also want to know what the town music will be like. If it's anything like the trailer then it might just become my new hangout/afk spot.
Underwater materia city! Hope the underwater stuff is deep 🙃

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm most excited to just see what all the enemy and monster designs are. We should get a bunch of unique stuff between arid desert and Othard.

You'll get asian goblins and asian tonberries and you'll like it.

Qvoth

it would be interesting to see if yoshida and team will be brave enough to deviate from the current "formula", which are new linear dungeons, 1 new alliance raid, 1 new 8 man raid, 2 primals
my brother who was a long time ff11 player would like to see more horizontal progression

Give me a more interesting raid this go around. Smacking around goblins in a steampunk robot got old. Alex 7 was hella pretty though

Yeah, I hope Omega is more epic like coil. Alexander story is great until the end where it all becomes a stupid deus ex machina. Oh well, JRPGS are known for those. That being said.... I still love Alexander but not as much as coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom