• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edzi

The small interactions between players are what makes this game for me. I love joining a random player who's fighting some random enemy and then having a small like emote exchange before we go our separate ways.

Is there somewhere I can look at the currently available glamour armour/clothing for Dragoons and Monks? I'm almost done with the Heavensward patches, and when I am, I will level a Monk in preparation for Stormblood. I'd like my character to look good. Is the clothing seen in the Stormblood trailer on the lady monk available somewhere? That looked cool.

Is there somewhere I can look at the currently available glamour armour/clothing for Dragoons and Monks? I'm almost done with the Heavensward patches, and when I am, I will level a Monk in preparation for Stormblood. I'd like my character to look good. Is the clothing seen in the Stormblood trailer on the lady monk available somewhere? That looked cool.

It's the new AF3 armor. Won't be able to get it until Stormblood releases.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
http://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearsets

how in the world do you get crystal sand

You get it in exchange for poetic items or primals/stuff on the mb, etc. Its not worth doing now though. Wait for Tueday's patch since there will be a nerf most likely. I already stacked up 20 umbrite to get a head start on a new relic but I'm waiting and not going all out.

Village

You exchange it for poetics, i googled and it said i needed some weird type of blue token to get it

I'm so confused, on how and where to getit. I can just buy umbrite, that's like way easier

You exchange it for poetics, i googled and it said i needed some weird type of blue token to get it

I'm so confused, on how and where to getit. I can just buy umbrite, that's like way easier
You get 5 Superior Enchanted Ink and 5 Thavanarian Mists from the Poetics merchant in Mor Dhona then take it to Ulan to exchange for Crystal Sand

It's the new AF3 armor. Won't be able to get it until Stormblood releases.

What's "AF3"?

Thanks. I wish I didn't have to go to Gamerscape for more info on how to acquire the gear. I can't use that site without an ad-blocker; the ads make my computer freeze.

So regarding the glamour items to make my equipment look like other equipment, do I need to use them every time I change equipment. Let's say I have the Far Eastern Garb, and I make my armor look like it. When I eventually get a better armour, do I have to use some more of the glamour items? Because if that's the case, it seems like it would be quite a chore. Aren't they hard to get?

Redx508

if you were kick from the discord server for inactivity please use the server link in the FC message or the guildwork page to get back in.

kagamin

Ran into this yesterday:
17754480252836380672_josnt.png

Bowlie

Banned
A few hours back, on Cerberus, there was a dude in New Gridania shouting for everyone to attend to "the Yellow Party". When I got there, there were ~10 characters wearing yellow clothes and dancing in a circle.

After a few seconds, the same dude gave me 3 yellow dyes, and I joined them.

I spent 20 minutes there, seeing new people join the silliness, and others stopping and staring at the scene and moving on.

It's this kind of weird thing that makes me like MMOs.

Luigi87

Since I restarted on Wednesday, in spite of working full time hours I've already put 17 hours into playing as Cheshire Ven.

... well then.

Edit: Also I realize this is the third time I've bought FFXIV...
-First was during 1.0, but that was an EU account (I'm Canadian, so once payment went into affect, I couldn't really use that account lest pay a fortune)
-Then again not too long after ARR released... but then I only did a free month (and not the whole thing, 'cause I decided to wait for friends who bought it to catch up, turns out they only played for about two hours...)
-And now again, lol. This is the last time I'm repurchasing!

SkyOdin

What's "AF3"?
AF is short for "artifact armor". It is terminology that was brought over from Final Fantasy XI. In XI, the artifact armor was the set of job-specific armor that embodied the classic appearance of the jobs. They were sets or armor you unlocked via quests for those jobs. The concept, and even the gearset names, were directly ported over to FFXIV as the job-specific gear you get at levels 45 and 50. So, the fans kept the same terminology.

The AF2 armor is the second full set of new designs for each job released in 3.0 as the ilvl 200/210 tomestone armor. And thus AF3 refers to the third set of artifact armor that is coming in Stormblood. They have shown off a few pieces of concept art for the gear already.

I'm hoping that the AF3 set is less eccentric than the AF2 set was. Some of the AF2 gear could be pretty weird or just plain ugly in my opinion. The AF2 BLM armor was bad.

MogCakes

I just got the Flannel Suspenders and am trying to dye them. I saw on google that when dyed the stripe color changes as well, but when I dye mine no matter what color I dye it the stripes are always the default orange. Is there something I'm missing?

wamberz1

I was considering trying out a healer. Was wondering if any of the 3 has less cast times than the others? I hate cast bars in MMO's.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
None of the healers are very different from the others in that sense so you're out of luck.

SCH, however, can spend a lot of time just letting their pet heal.

wamberz1

Hmm yeah I'm leaning towards trying out SCH first based on what I've heard. I was thinking of giving Astro a run cause the card system sounded cool but seeing the whole "everything but balance is worthless" thing really turned me off.

Okay, finally got into starting the game.

Huh, I really feel like I'm playing FFXII all over again.

Ha ha, there's a lot of similarities that aren't at all accidental, considering Naoki Yoshida is a big Matsuno fan and there are a number of XII staff currently working on XIV. I prefer XIV to XII myself though, because the world doesn't feel so dead and the plot actually gets more interesting and dense the farther you get into it rather than evaporating.

Hmm yeah I'm leaning towards trying out SCH first based on what I've heard. I was thinking of giving Astro a run cause the card system sounded cool but seeing the whole "everything but balance is worthless" thing really turned me off.

Apparently they're going to be making changes in Stormblood to make the tanks and healers more distinct/stress job identity/blahblahblah.

Right now I'd say Scholar if you're looking for a healer that's a bit outside the norm.

Ha ha, there's a lot of similarities that aren't at all accidental, considering Naoki Yoshida is a big Matsuno fan and there are a number of XII staff currently working on XIV. I prefer XIV to XII myself though, because the world doesn't feel so dead and the plot actually gets more interesting and dense the farther you get into it rather than evaporating.

Since Matsuno is writing for the Return to Ivalice raid I have to wonder where that's taking place exactly. They've shown us Ala Mhigo and its surrounding areas and Othard/Doma. Where is Ivalice on the new map?

Took long enough from random farming over the last two years, but finally got Kirin mount today, lol. Only ponies I got before Heavensward were Levi, Garuda, and Ramuh. I kinda miss the lv50 fights. Was kind of strange learning all new ways for some of the fights at lv.60 due to DPS checks and ultimate moves, etc.

MogCakes

Alright, I think I've figured out why the stripes on flannel suspenders can differ in color. It seems like each race and gender has its own model of the suspenders with a unique stripe color.

There appear to be four that I can tell which are dark green/light green and orange/yellow. I'm a bit disappointed that I'm stuck with the orange stripes.

B.K.

I just cleared Sohm Al. Tioman dropped a 130 armor that I could have used, but I didn't Need it on the lot. I would kind of feel like an asshole Needing it and not giving everyone a chance at it.

Edzi

For POTD, is it expected that you'll have to reset a few times to grind armor/weapon levels? Or is it possible to just do one continuous run to floor 50?

Killthee

For POTD, is it expected that you'll have to reset a few times to grind armor/weapon levels? Or is it possible to just do one continuous run to floor 50?
Best way to do it is to switch save slots after each run. So run floors 1 - 10 on slot a, then do the same on slot b, then switch back to a and do 11 - 20, then do it on b, etc...

Foxxsoxx

So I'm a level 43 bard and I'm just curious, but do dungeons get more entertaining than this? Not going to lie they're pretty boring right now. I have a decent amount of keys to hit but enemies go down so slowly it isn't even funny and the mechanics are there, but slow and boring.

iammeiam

I just cleared Sohm Al. Tioman dropped a 130 armor that I could have used, but I didn't Need it on the lot. I would kind of feel like an asshole Needing it and not giving everyone a chance at it.

While leveling, if you can Need on an item and it's an armor upgrade, do so and don't feel bad. Anybody else who can actually use the item has that option available if they want, and in the long run you do the groups you do dungeons with a bigger service by keeping your gear up-to-date than you would passing so people can greed-off for what amounts to leveling alt loot/glamour.

If it's not an actual gear upgrade for you, then that's one thing, but Need exists to prioritize people who actually need the gear. Nobody's going to think poorly of you for rolling on a gear upgrade at any point in the game, and certainly not while leveling.

So I'm a level 43 bard and I'm just curious, but do dungeons get more entertaining than this? Not going to lie they're pretty boring right now. I have a decent amount of keys to hit but enemies go down so slowly it isn't even funny and the mechanics are there, but slow and boring.

Dungeons are kind of always boring, and honestly the leveling dungeons tend to be slightly more interesting than most of the EXDR endgame dungeons; Bard will change a lot post-50 but the AOE rotation is pretty simple and dungeons are designed to be repeatable low-impact content and are basically halls of trash/boss with mechanics you can kind of ignore/halls of trash/second boss with mechanics you can kind of ignore/halls of trash/last boss with mechanics you can kind of ignore. The endgame trials/raids are where things get interesting.

Edzi

Best way to do it is to switch save slots after each run. So run floors 1 - 10 on slot a, then do the same on slot b, then switch back to a and do 11 - 20, then do it on b, etc...

Oh, so I could just start again on the second save slot and have all my weapons/armor continue to level up for both files? I'm currently on floor 30 on my first file, so can I just start again and grind floors 1-10 repeatedly on another file and then pick up the first file again once my gear is leveled up?

Squishy3

Later dungeons are better, most of the early ones are there to introduce mechanics slowly.

Killthee

Oh, so I could just start again on the second save slot and have all my weapons/armor continue to level up for both files? I'm currently on floor 30 on my first file, so can I just start again and grind floors 1-10 repeatedly on another file and then pick up the first file again once my gear is leveled up?
Gear level is shared between both files. Only thing that is unique to the files are class you go in as, current floor lv, and fixed party/matchmaking.

It's best to flip between both files cause eventually you hit a wall from trying to raise your gear lv from low lv floors. Run 1 - 30 on the second slot now then flip between the two every other run.

Foxxsoxx

Dungeons are kind of always boring, and honestly the leveling dungeons tend to be slightly more interesting than most of the EXDR endgame dungeons; Bard will change a lot post-50 but the AOE rotation is pretty simple and dungeons are designed to be repeatable low-impact content and are basically halls of trash/boss with mechanics you can kind of ignore/halls of trash/second boss with mechanics you can kind of ignore/halls of trash/last boss with mechanics you can kind of ignore. The endgame trials/raids are where things get interesting.

Are there heroic versions of the dungeons like in WoW or are they always the roulettes?

Leveling dungeons in WoW were pretty lame until the heroic versions made them a little interesting.

One thing I've noticed about these dungeons the one or two I do a day is how long they are with so much trash.

Edzi

Gear level is shared between both files. Only thing that is unique to the files are class you go in as, current floor lv, and fixed party/matchmaking.

It's best to flip between both files cause eventually you hit a wall from trying to raise your gear lv from low lv floors. Run 1 - 30 on the second slot now then flip between the two every other run.

Gotcha, thanks. What level gear should I be aiming for if I want to reach floor 50?

iammeiam

Are there heroic versions of the dungeons like in WoW or are they always the roulettes?

Leveling dungeons in WoW were pretty lame until the heroic versions made them a little interesting.

One thing I've noticed about these dungeons the one or two I do a day is how long they are with so much trash.

Different from WoW; they reuse the dungeon setting but will usually dramatically alter the map and change all the mobs to continue the story. They're not harder than the originals, and I think are probably uniformly easier.

Leveling dungeons tend to be harder and longer, for the most part, than the endgame ones. The level 50 dungeons and again at 60 are basically designed to be completed in sub-20-minutes-each and are just massive AOE fests. Leveling dungeons are longer and generally slightly more difficult because they're not prone to being out geared like the at-cap dungeons are. The daily tome dungeons can be completed in ~12 minutes with a decent group, and 20 with the average mix your get in DF. Leveling ones are longer but generally require more thought.

The general pattern in ARR and Heavensward is to have one brand new dungeon per content patch, and then 2 (in ARR) or 1 (in HW) 'remix' dungeon; the Expert roulette consists of the dungeons from the most recent patch, so in HW it's been two dungeons it roulettes between daily.

Killthee

Gotcha, thanks. What level gear should I be aiming for if I want to reach floor 50?
30 was the cap at launch for floor 50, don't remember if there was a requirement to get in. I wouldnt worry about it now though since it's not really hard, the current cap is 99, and there's often somebody with a 50+ gear in the party. 50+ floors it starts to matter again, gotta be extra careful if you're going in those floors with 30 - 50 gear, but lots of people still do it. 80 - 100 really hurts though if you're gear is less than 50ish.

AF is short for "artifact armor". It is terminology that was brought over from Final Fantasy XI. In XI, the artifact armor was the set of job-specific armor that embodied the classic appearance of the jobs. They were sets or armor you unlocked via quests for those jobs. The concept, and even the gearset names, were directly ported over to FFXIV as the job-specific gear you get at levels 45 and 50. So, the fans kept the same terminology.

The AF2 armor is the second full set of new designs for each job released in 3.0 as the ilvl 200/210 tomestone armor. And thus AF3 refers to the third set of artifact armor that is coming in Stormblood. They have shown off a few pieces of concept art for the gear already.

I'm hoping that the AF3 set is less eccentric than the AF2 set was. Some of the AF2 gear could be pretty weird or just plain ugly in my opinion. The AF2 BLM armor was bad.

What I want is for them to go back to an actual quest line to claim your AF armor. And I don't mean the go to this spot and click "quest line" for the AF in ARR. I mean an actual quest line, with a story, that you complete over a period of time to gather the pieces.

The problem of course is that vertical progression would immediately render it obsolete almost after you completed the quests if you did them when they were relevant content, and someone who comes along later would just ignore it.

Too bad they weren't invested into the idea of the AF being something you busted your ass for early on, and then they could have added methods to upgrade it to keep up with vertical progression. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom