• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that quest line was a bit of filler honestly, it didn't lead anywhere.

Having a haunted house around did make for the greatest seasonal event ever last Halloween.

You will likely need a level 60 as RDM and SAM start out at level 50.

In HW, you needed to be level 50 to start a MCH/DRK/AST as they were in Ishgard, a level 50 zone. However I recall they don't force that requirement in SB. You won't need to physically enter the SB areas to start those jobs but the level requirement will likely be there.

If I recall correctly, the requirement for unlocking the Red Mage and Samurai jobs will be having cleared the Praetorium, a.k.a. beaten the ARR story. You won't be required to have completed any 2.1+ quest or have any level 51+ job.

Okay, I cleared the Manor, which was a neat dungeon. But. After that I got sucked into the vortex of the Titan quest. Oh my God. Seriously. What the hell. Are they trying to give the worst impression ever of the Company of Heroes? They's ALL a bunch of fucking trolls. Even the those just -pretending- to be from the Company are trolls. Wtf!

Made it to unlocking the Cheese quest dungeon. Enough. ENOUGH. Lol.

The "Company of Heroes" are a bunch of frauds, the whole lot of them. Who needs a company anyway when you've got the Warrior of Light?

Okay, I cleared the Manor, which was a neat dungeon. But. After that I got sucked into the vortex of the Titan quest. Oh my God. Seriously. What the hell. Are they trying to give the worst impression ever of the Company of Heroes? They's ALL a bunch of fucking trolls. Even the those just -pretending- to be from the Company are trolls. Wtf!

One of the worst set of questlines in the game, probably the worst.

Give credit to that one guy who single-handedly took down Tidus and Leviabeetus. I've no reason to doubt the sincerity behind his words or the veracity of his superhuman merits.

ebil

I liked the Company of Heroes questline on my second playthrough, but that was because I already knew where it was headed and I was familiar with the characters. First time was indeed awful.

Pachimari

I'm pretty sure Ishgard would be considered part of Aldenard.
I wasn't talking about Ishgard which is part of Coerthas which is part of Eorzea which is part of Aldenard.

I couldn't remember what Ilsabard's name was sorry.

I don't think there is a proper name yet for the entire landmass besides "The Three Great Continents".

Three Great Continents? That's all I can think of
Yeah that'll have to do. I hope they give the land mass a name at some point though.

B.K.

The Company of Heroes arc made Y'shtola my favorite Scion. It was great how she was getting tired of all their bullshit.

I hit 55 last night. I'm already dreading the grind from 60 to 70. It's over two million experience points from 55 to 56. It will probably be over ten million per level from 60 to 70.

Pachimari

The Company of Heroes arc made Y'shtola my favorite Scion. It was great how she was getting tired of all their bullshit.

I hit 55 last night. I'm already dreading the grind from 60 to 70. It's over two million experience points from 55 to 56. It will probably be over ten million per level from 60 to 70.
Oh shit I hope this won't turn me away from the game. I already think it's getting bad enough in the 40s. I hate it when I have to grind like 10 million experience points or even the two million you mention between levels.

duckroll

Oh shit I hope this won't turn me away from the game. I already think it's getting bad enough in the 40s. I hate it when I have to grind like 10 million experience points or even the two million you mention between levels.

But like, are you playing the game for the game and story or just to grind levels? As long as the story, quests, bosses, and events are interesting and remain challenging, why does it matter if it takes longer to gain a single level? It's just numbers in the end. If you want to sense of fast leveling, you could always just start on other classes and jobs later? Or just play more PotD lol.

Pachimari

But like, are you playing the game for the game and story or just to grind levels? As long as the story, quests, bosses, and events are interesting and remain challenging, why does it matter if it takes longer to gain a single level? It's just numbers in the end. If you want to sense of fast leveling, you could always just start on other classes and jobs later? Or just play more PotD lol.
I've always had it hard with a single level taking tons of exp because it creates the illusion of no progress and no "instant" satisfaction. You might not understand that, but that is how it is with me.

I'm playing this game for the story, lore and experience which is why I've bought two of the encyclopedias to begin with. I love this world and the lore in it.

As long as it gives me something interesting to do between levels that'll give me exp then fine, but PotD all the way through won't cut it. Although it hopefully improves through Heavensward. At least the story does, so there's that to motivate me.

That said, maybe I'm being caught in the "race to be ready for Stormblood" that I am hurrying a little too much for my own enjoyment, so I am planning on slowing down a little with the post-game content and get up to speed with unlocking all the side content.

Pollux

Yeah I'm doing that quest line right now - its killing me haha. Hopefully the story gets better after this.

Ran into another GAFer while doing some of the quests in the Titan quest line this morning so that was fun.

dramatis

People flounder on the exp increase, but it's actually not that bad. Story dungeons and quests, the daily low level roulette, and Palace of the Dead are the main ways get exp, and they are quite generous. Any additional exp you might need to supplement your growth would be available via sidequests, levequests, beast tribe dailies, the other roulettes, FATEs, etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Another thing I hope they copy from WoW: EXP required per level should plateau past a certain point. In Legion, getting from 102-103 took the same time as 109-110.

Exponentially increasing EXP/level is miserable and a relic of bygone days when people had too much time and money.

Pachimari

I'm looking forward to see how the lvl 46>49 is gonna be since there's been a lot of criticism toward it. I'm actually surprised at how easy it's been levelling up to lvl 45 so far. I didn't have to do much PotD.

dramatis

I'm looking forward to see how the lvl 46>49 is gonna be since there's been a lot of criticism toward it. I'm actually surprised at how easy it's been levelling up to lvl 45 so far. I didn't have to do much PotD.
In the early days it was a slog, but since then they've increased exp gains, added beast tribe dailies and Palace of the Dead. People in a rush might think the patch 2.0-3.0 story quests might be more of a slog than the leveling experience lol.

Pachimari

In the early days it was a slog, but since then they've increased exp gains, added beast tribe dailies and Palace of the Dead. People in a rush might think the patch 2.0-3.0 story quests might be more of a slog than the leveling experience lol.
Very nice to hear. I haven't tried the beast tribe dailies, don't think I've unlocked it.

What I'm currently happy about is that the exp requirement for each level might become larger and larger but so does the exp reward become bigger and bigger.

Anyway hopefully I complete ARR next week with the help of our FC members. They're very helpful and kind.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, the 45-50 was a slow pace before HW.

Like mentioned, POTD, logs, beastquests all helped speed it up.

Also, in case you want some fate area's, North Thanalan is probably where you want to go.

Squishy3

Do we know if there will be underwater combat? Because that would be fucking sweet. There could be so many callbacks and nods to FFX.
No underwater combat, thank god. It was bad in Guild Wars 2, it was bad in MH3U. I never want to see realtime underwater combat ever again.

Haly

What Frumix is talking about is a "window" of time in which Alexander 1 Savage had bonus points for a weapon quest thing.

Don't worry about it.

Well I'm on the umbrite step waiting for the next patch to drop and hopefully a reduction but it doesn't hurt to look ahead and find the optimal progression scheme.

So I picked this up last week and have been playing a bit. Level 22 Lancer right now. I've done three dungeons and have been completing quests.

Any advice you guys can offer for a beginner?

Squishy3

So I picked this up last week and have been playing a bit. Level 22 Lancer right now. I've done three dungeons and have been completing quests.

Any advice you guys can offer for a beginner?
Do any quests marked with a + symbol you find while out in the world, as they generally unlock something gameplay related. Do the hall of the novice stuff as well as it gives a +30% experience ring.

duckroll

Yeah I'm doing that quest line right now - its killing me haha. Hopefully the story gets better after this.

Ran into another GAFer while doing some of the quests in the Titan quest line this morning so that was fun.

Oh... you didn't know...

That was me! Maybe I should have had my chocobo fighting with me, since I named him duckroll lol!

TheChaos0

Well, I know I said it but I keep thinking about coming back. I thinking of playing a tank role again but maybe not a Paladin. I got the Paladin job at 50 but it was, I dunno a bit boring maybe? Maybe I wanted a big two hander instead of sword ad board? Hehe.

So Warrior or Dark Knight...I don't really know much about Dark Knight since I've stopped playing before Heavensward came out.

Also, is there some sort of exp boost if you have a high level characters... I don't remember now...

Kenai

Well, I know I said it but I keep thinking about coming back. I thinking of playing a tank role again but maybe not a Paladin. I got the Paladin job at 50 but it was, I dunno a bit boring maybe? Maybe I wanted a big two hander instead of sword ad board? Hehe.

So Warrior or Dark Knight...I don't really know much about Dark Knight since I've stopped playing before Heavensward came out.

Also, is there some sort of exp boost if you have a high level characters... I don't remember now...

Tank mains keep telling me DRK is more involved (aka more work) but some people like that so idk your preference.

Also any class below your max level class gets an automatic exp boost, ya.

Pollux

Oh... you didn't know...

That was me! Maybe I should have had my chocobo fighting with me, since I named him duckroll lol!
Haha I had no idea. Just started playing this again after a long absence.

Just got to the cheese dungeon, haven't done it yet, but this whole quest line is ridiculous.

TheChaos0

Tank mains keep telling me DRK is more involved (aka more work) but some people like that so idk your preference.

Also any class below your max level class gets an automatic exp boost, ya.

Ah that nice, at the moment I'm leaning towards Warrior at the moment. Might watch a video or two.

Cmagus

Been gearing on my DRK, I've gotten A9S down so hopefully A10S goes well.

New glams

hb11mRm.png

duckroll

I've always had it hard with a single level taking tons of exp because it creates the illusion of no progress and no "instant" satisfaction. You might not understand that, but that is how it is with me.

I'm playing this game for the story, lore and experience which is why I've bought two of the encyclopedias to begin with. I love this world and the lore in it.

As long as it gives me something interesting to do between levels that'll give me exp then fine, but PotD all the way through won't cut it. Although it hopefully improves through Heavensward. At least the story does, so there's that to motivate me.

That said, maybe I'm being caught in the "race to be ready for Stormblood" that I am hurrying a little too much for my own enjoyment, so I am planning on slowing down a little with the post-game content and get up to speed with unlocking all the side content.

I mean, it's that that I don't understand the gratification issue, I was just wondering how it would make you lose interest in the game if you're playing it for everything else. I mean, this is a game with a level cap that gets incrementally bumped every expansion, which means that all the pre-expansion patch content are meant to be played without having to actually level, assuming you hit the max level by the endgame of the main content package. Progression then shifts to gear instead. I expect each expansion to have a ton of story content and quests, but scaled for a 10 level progression curve rather than 50. So leveling's going to be much slower, but again, gear should play a much larger role by then.

Would someone who is really enjoying the story and playing a new expansion, doing dungeons and raids with friends, really lose interest and drop out of the game just because after a bunch of that... there's still no "level up" pop up? Lol.

Haly

Duckroll, you play gacha games. You're intimately familiar with skinner box systems.

I'm sure if all the HW levels were split into 5, and you leveled up 5 times more often, players would be 5 times as happy. That's just simple algebra.

Pachimari

I mean, it's that that I don't understand the gratification issue, I was just wondering how it would make you lose interest in the game if you're playing it for everything else. I mean, this is a game with a level cap that gets incrementally bumped every expansion, which means that all the pre-expansion patch content are meant to be played without having to actually level, assuming you hit the max level by the endgame of the main content package. Progression then shifts to gear instead. I expect each expansion to have a ton of story content and quests, but scaled for a 10 level progression curve rather than 50. So leveling's going to be much slower, but again, gear should play a much larger role by then.

Would someone who is really enjoying the story and playing a new expansion, doing dungeons and raids with friends, really lose interest and drop out of the game just because after a bunch of that... there's still no "level up" pop up? Lol.
If I was at lvl 80 and had to do way too many side quests or repeating the same floors in the PotD to progress in level in order to get access to new MSQs and having to repeat it again and again , then that surely could be something to turn away some type of players. But I won't give you a more in depth explanation or discuss with you as I've had my issues with you before.

duckroll

If I was at lvl 80 and had to do way too many side quests or repeating the same floors in the PotD to progress in level in order to get access to new MSQs and having to repeat it again and again , then that surely could be something to turn away some type of players.

But... that's not how FFXIV works? The MSQ unlocks the MSQ and nothing else. There are side quests which require other side quests or certain MSQ quests to be cleared to be unlocked, but I don't think there is a single MSQ that's locked behind anything else.

?_?

But I won't give you a more in depth explanation or discuss with you as I've had issues with you before.

Lmao, best debater ever. Lemme give you a star.

Pachimari

But... that's not how FFXIV works? The MSQ unlocks the MSQ and nothing else. There are side quests which require other side quests or certain MSQ quests to be cleared to be unlocked, but I don't think there is a single MSQ that's locked behind anything else.

?_?

Lmao, best debater ever. Lemme give you a star.
I'm not here to debate with you though. I never was.

?_?
There's one ARR quest that's locked behind clearing HM Primals once. That's about it.

iammeiam

Both the 46-49 deadzone in ARR and the mid-50s "oh my god I hate Moogles" span in HW are spots where FFXIV's MSQ did basically abandon players to go grind for a while. They've been more or less spackled over at this point by XP buffs and alternate XP routes (PotD is great now but let us not forget that Challenge Log exp stopped scaling at 50; there's no indicator yet that PotD XP is going to scale on Stormblood launch and so it may end up being relatively useless if the XP curve post-60 stays up), but XIV definitely has fallen prone to the "screw you, level grind" issue before. It wouldn't be super surprising to see one pop up in Stormblood, too; a lot hinges on how they pace dungeon experience, since part of the problem at HW launch was dungeons providing relatively little XP, but at HW launch it would get pretty depressing to finish off the MSQ available and realize you needed to generate millions of XP before you could progress further because they stuck totally arbitrary deadzones in the leveling experience that served no purpose.

XP gaps aside, the Heavensward leveling tick/tock of new job skills alternating with new dungeons was a pretty good way to make every level feel meaningful (unless your job skill was garbage, hi Rend Mind)l, so it'd be nice to see them stick with that.

duckroll

I feel like you are the one being passive aggressive here.

How so? I'm just talking about the game. I thought the idea of being turned off by leveling alone is a bit of an odd concern, given how XIV is designed, so I was talking about it. Everything was going fine until you dropped the "but I don't want to talk to you because reasons" bomb. Then it got all awkward and weird in the room. How is it my fault?!

Pachimari

Both the 46-49 deadzone in ARR and the mid-50s "oh my god I hate Moogles" span in HW are spots where FFXIV's MSQ did basically abandon players to go grind for a while. They've been more or less spackled over at this point by XP buffs and alternate XP routes (PotD is great now but let us not forget that Challenge Log exp stopped scaling at 50; there's no indicator yet that PotD XP is going to scale on Stormblood launch and so it may end up being relatively useless if the XP curve post-60 stays up), but XIV definitely has fallen prone to the "screw you, level grind" issue before. It wouldn't be super surprising to see one pop up in Stormblood, too; a lot hinges on how they pace dungeon experience, since part of the problem at HW launch was dungeons providing relatively little XP, but at HW launch it would get pretty depressing to finish off the MSQ available and realize you needed to generate millions of XP before you could progress further.
This is all I meant basically. That this xp grind in order to progress could scare me and others away. Thankfully I'm investing a lot in this game and expect to stay in it for the long haul anyway, but with me saying "hopefully this doesn't scare me away" was more of a "hopefully they don't repeat those grinds." Thankfully as this guy says, they seem to have taken care of it somewhat.

How so? I'm just talking about the game. I thought the idea of being turned off by leveling alone is a bit of an odd concern, given how XIV is designed, so I was talking about it.
I got no problem with leveling alone. Not even the grind so far, but if it is as bad as what everyone experienced before the post-game content, then I could see it becoming a drag to me. It was literally one of the biggest gripes before post-content came out.

Squishy3

Both the 46-49 deadzone in ARR and the mid-50s "oh my god I hate Moogles" span in HW are spots where FFXIV's MSQ did basically abandon players to go grind for a while. They've been more or less spackled over at this point by XP buffs and alternate XP routes (PotD is great now but let us not forget that Challenge Log exp stopped scaling at 50; there's no indicator yet that PotD XP is going to scale on Stormblood launch and so it may end up being relatively useless if the XP curve post-60 stays up), but XIV definitely has fallen prone to the "screw you, level grind" issue before. It wouldn't be super surprising to see one pop up in Stormblood, too; a lot hinges on how they pace dungeon experience, since part of the problem at HW launch was dungeons providing relatively little XP, but at HW launch it would get pretty depressing to finish off the MSQ available and realize you needed to generate millions of XP before you could progress further because they stuck totally arbitrary deadzones in the leveling experience that served no purpose.

XP gaps aside, the Heavensward leveling tick/tock of new job skills alternating with new dungeons was a pretty good way to make every level feel meaningful (unless your job skill was garbage, hi Rend Mind)l, so it'd be nice to see them stick with that.
Centurio daily bills was also there to help alleviate some of the grind (rank 1 is 115k exp a day, doing all 3 once you've hit 57 is like 355k exp or something) but let's not forget one of the sidequest aether currents was also locked behind a moogle sidequest chain. (I think it's at the start of that chain now)

dramatis

If you are 'prepping for Stormblood', you don't need to worry. It comes in June, and right now 3 months is more than enough time to catch up in a leisurely way.

duckroll

I got no problem with leveling alone. Not even the grind so far, but if it is as bad as what everyone experienced before the post-game content, then I could see it becoming a drag to me. It was literally one of the biggest gripes before post-content came out.

What's worse than "grind" imo, is just plain awful misdirection quest lines like the one I'm doing now lol. It's really annoying and not satisfying at all when the MSQ trolls you into doing stuff which is obviously totally pointless and a time waster, especially when even the story acknowledges that, lol. I -really- hope they never ever ever ever do this again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom