• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxxsoxx

Different from WoW; they reuse the dungeon setting but will usually dramatically alter the map and change all the mobs to continue the story. They're not harder than the originals, and I think are probably uniformly easier.

Leveling dungeons tend to be harder and longer, for the most part, than the endgame ones. The level 50 dungeons and again at 60 are basically designed to be completed in sub-20-minutes-each and are just massive AOE fests. Leveling dungeons are longer and generally slightly more difficult because they're not prone to being out geared like the at-cap dungeons are. The daily tome dungeons can be completed in ~12 minutes with a decent group, and 20 with the average mix your get in DF. Leveling ones are longer but generally require more thought.

The general pattern in ARR and Heavensward is to have one brand new dungeon per content patch, and then 2 (in ARR) or 1 (in HW) 'remix' dungeon; the Expert roulette consists of the dungeons from the most recent patch, so in HW it's been two dungeons it roulettes between daily.

Hm interesting.

Now that I'm saying it, the version WoW has now with the dungeons getting harder and harder until you die is really cool, I hope they add that in Stormblood, since Heroic dungeons in WoW were very similar once everyone gets geared and breezes through them.

Different from WoW; they reuse the dungeon setting but will usually dramatically alter the map and change all the mobs to continue the story. They're not harder than the originals, and I think are probably uniformly easier.

Leveling dungeons tend to be harder and longer, for the most part, than the endgame ones. The level 50 dungeons and again at 60 are basically designed to be completed in sub-20-minutes-each and are just massive AOE fests. Leveling dungeons are longer and generally slightly more difficult because they're not prone to being out geared like the at-cap dungeons are. The daily tome dungeons can be completed in ~12 minutes with a decent group, and 20 with the average mix your get in DF. Leveling ones are longer but generally require more thought.

The general pattern in ARR and Heavensward is to have one brand new dungeon per content patch, and then 2 (in ARR) or 1 (in HW) 'remix' dungeon; the Expert roulette consists of the dungeons from the most recent patch, so in HW it's been two dungeons it roulettes between daily.

It's sad that actual challenging dungeons at endgame died a painful death after 2.0. That first time you were in your full AF as a fresh 50 beating Demon Wall was a hell of an accomplishment at the time. They never did that kind of thing again after the original ARR which is kind of sad. In general, the current game design where everything is faceroll difficulty except the single top-level current raid has dramatically ruined the game's staying power. Instead of making you run some shitty faceroll endgame dungeon in roulette 12 times every week for your tomes, why not make the dungeon an actual challenge and you only need to complete it once a week?

Lanrutcon

Hm interesting.

Now that I'm saying it, the version WoW has now with the dungeons getting harder and harder until you die is really cool, I hope they add that in Stormblood, since Heroic dungeons in WoW were very similar once everyone gets geared and breezes through them.

Wouldn't really work for FFXIV. WoW has dynamic loot in combination with static loot, FFXIV has static loot (barring your relic weapons and the like).

Like, WoW can generate an <armor piece> for <item level> with <secondary stat 1> and <secondary stat 2> to reward the player for completing mythic X. FFXIV has static drop lists for content.

Have you tried POTD? It's probably the closest thing.

It's sad that actual challenging dungeons at endgame died a painful death after 2.0. That first time you were in your full AF as a fresh 50 beating Demon Wall was a hell of an accomplishment at the time. They never did that kind of thing again after the original ARR which is kind of sad. In general, the current game design where everything is faceroll difficulty except the single top-level current raid has dramatically ruined the game's staying power. Instead of making you run some shitty faceroll endgame dungeon in roulette 12 times every week for your tomes, why not make the dungeon an actual challenge and you only need to complete it once a week?

They'd have to increase the roulette rewards by a stupid amount. No way am I playing dance dance revolution with insta kill blast markers every day for 40 tomes of whatever.

They'd have to increase the roulette rewards by a stupid amount. No way am I playing dance dance revolution with insta kill blast markers every day for 40 tomes of whatever.

Well yeah, I was implying when I said you only have to do it once a week that it would give you the entire week's worth of tomes on completion.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wouldn't really work for FFXIV. WoW has dynamic loot in combination with static loot, FFXIV has static loot (barring your relic weapons and the like).

Like, WoW can generate an <armor piece> for <item level> with <secondary stat 1> and <secondary stat 2> to reward the player for completing mythic X. FFXIV has static drop lists for content.

Whatever prevents them from making loot work like that other than laziness?

Foxxsoxx

Have you tried POTD? It's probably the closest thing.

I've yet to do it yet, still in the ARR story at level 45, just finished with the primals, hopefully getting to the good stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nothing really, I highly doubt they hand craft every item's stats. They probably have some generator function as well for ilvl -> stats.

Zomba13

Whatever prevents them from making loot work like that other than laziness?

No clue. There is already the Pink Aetheral gear which is exactly what was just described. They seem to just want gear to be static for each patch outside of the option to put Materia on it.

CLBridges

Was the jump potion item I heard about ever confirmed? I was just thinking about all the content preceding Stormblood and it's a lot. I guess we'll see soon enough.

On another note, I'm trying to grind out lore as I've decided to get relic for BRD...too many more runs of ARF to count.

Pachimari

The story is so fucking great now. I didn't expect it to pick up until Heavensward, but I am at the end of A Realm Reborn and so many things have been set in motion now.

Eldren

The AF2 BLM armor was bad.

Except for the trousers, those are amazing. The rest I'd agree with.

I finally finished the first step of my 2nd relic. I've decided to go with AST. I'm not an amazing healer but the class is fun, it'll force me to improve and I love the designs of the weapons. Plus I'm just not feeling any other jobs at the moment. The crystal grind wasn't so bad, and I gained a couple of levels on my DRK from all those FATES which was nice.

I've been doing beast tribes for a few weeks and I already have all the unidentified items and the 4 sets of items to go with them. 22 crystal sands, a couple of umbrites, 3 aether oils, 15 singing shards, 2 pneumite... it's quite convenient being able to do multiple steps at once.

Foxxsoxx

The story is so fucking great now. I didn't expect it to pick up until Heavensward, but I am at the end of A Realm Reborn and so many things have been set in motion now.

How far along are you?

I'm nearing the end of the pre 50 quests. Just got to Mor Dhona and the Empire are finally starting to poke their heads around, I honestly keep forgetting they're in the game at all lol.

Quick question, I have to do all the post-patch quests as well right? I looked up how many there are and there around 100 after I get to 50, do I have to do all of those to because if so that's kind of ridiculous D:

How far along are you?

I'm nearing the end of the pre 50 quests. Just got to Mor Dhona.

Quick question, I have to do all the post-patch quests as well right? I looked up how many there are and there around 100 after I get to 50, do I have to do all of those to because if so that's kind of ridiculous D:

Yeah. They go by pretty quickly though.

Foxxsoxx

Yeah. They go by pretty quickly though.

Jeez that's pretty crazy. I understand they want you to know the story, but that puts a pretty huge barrier for anyone wanting to try the expansion out. I don't know if that's just me but that screams like it would scare a lot of people out from even trying it. Wonder if Stormblood will do the same thing.

Anyway, thankfully the story seems to be picking the pace up and this new location has some great music and scenery, but I gotta sleep. Night guys!

Stealth edit: Has anyone gone from PS4 to Pro and noticed much improved performance? Just wondering as the game rarely ever hits 60 frames but when it does it feels night and day better. Curious how it runs with the 4.5 performance boost.

Pachimari

How far along are you?

I'm nearing the end of the pre 50 quests. Just got to Mor Dhona and the Empire are finally starting to poke their heads around, I honestly keep forgetting they're in the game at all lol.

I'm at MSQ 168 Come-Into-My-Castrum. I'm looking forward to the 100 post-game content as the story has really picked up now.

Is it possible to turn off the chocobo music when riding it, so that I can listen to the background music?

duckroll

Jeez that's pretty crazy. I understand they want you to know the story, but that puts a pretty huge barrier for anyone wanting to try the expansion out. I don't know if that's just me but that screams like it would scare a lot of people out from even trying it. Wonder if Stormblood will do the same thing.

Anyway, thankfully the story seems to be picking the pace up and this new location has some great music and scenery, but I gotta sleep. Night guys!

I... don't see the big deal? It's all part of the story. Game 1 -> Season Pass DLCs -> Game 2 -> Season Pass DLCs -> Game 3 -> Season Pass DLCs etc.

Instead of scaring me into trying it, the dedication to having one linear story for FF fans instead of feeling like something that tries to make it as easy as possible for people to get into just to grind and quest with friends is why I had confidence in jumping into this rather than other MMOs.

Foxxsoxx

I'm at MSQ 168 Come-Into-My-Castrum. I'm looking forward to the 100 post-game content as the story has really picked up now.

Is it possible to turn off the chocobo music when riding it, so that I can listen to the background music?

Yeah you totally can, I figured that out a few days ago and never looked back, it's in the settings.

Yeah the story gets great when it gets to the Empire, but I wasn't feeling the Primals much at all.

I... don't see the big deal? It's all part of the story. Game 1 -> Season Pass DLCs -> Game 2 -> Season Pass DLCs -> Game 3 -> Season Pass DLCs etc.

Instead of scaring me into trying it, the dedication to having one linear story for FF fans instead of feeling like something that tries to make it as easy as possible for people to get into just to grind and quest with friends is why I had confidence in jumping into this rather than other MMOs.

Hm different strokes I suppose. I figured it would scare people off seeing as other games let you do the story optionally or at a quicker pace.

I'm not saying it's a bad way of doing it, but I do think a lot more people would try the expansions out and the game would likely grow more that way. Could be totally wrong though I'm still new to this.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Stealth edit: Has anyone gone from PS4 to Pro and noticed much improved performance? Just wondering as the game rarely ever hits 60 frames but when it does it feels night and day better. Curious how it runs with the 4.5 performance boost.
They're considering adding story jump potions to the cash shop that lv up your character and let you skip portions of the story. Don't think they've made up their mind yet on whether they're doing it or not and how far they want to go with them (end of ARR or end of HW).

Yes it's under the music settings in system config. Also be aware that at lv 50 there's two 8 man dungeons that have a bunch of cutscenes throughout the dungeon. If you care to watch them and not get locked out of bosses, ask your fc for help running that stuff.

Pachimari

It's weird how "Drowning Out the Voices" says I need to be lvl 46 to do the MSQ but I'm only lvl 45 and still able to do the quest. Has this happened to anyone else?

AF is short for "artifact armor". It is terminology that was brought over from Final Fantasy XI. In XI, the artifact armor was the set of job-specific armor that embodied the classic appearance of the jobs. They were sets or armor you unlocked via quests for those jobs. The concept, and even the gearset names, were directly ported over to FFXIV as the job-specific gear you get at levels 45 and 50. So, the fans kept the same terminology.

The AF2 armor is the second full set of new designs for each job released in 3.0 as the ilvl 200/210 tomestone armor. And thus AF3 refers to the third set of artifact armor that is coming in Stormblood. They have shown off a few pieces of concept art for the gear already.

I'm hoping that the AF3 set is less eccentric than the AF2 set was. Some of the AF2 gear could be pretty weird or just plain ugly in my opinion. The AF2 BLM armor was bad.

Thanks!

reposting from earlier:

So regarding the glamour items (prisms?) to make my equipment look like other equipment, do I need to use them every time I change equipment? Let's say I have the Far Eastern Garb, and I make my armour look like it. When I eventually get a better armour, do I have to use some more of the glamour items? Because if that's the case, it seems like it would be quite a chore. Aren't they hard to get?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Thanks!

reposting from earlier:

So regarding the glamour items (prisms?) to make my equipment look like other equipment, do I need to use them every time I change equipment? Let's say I have the Far Eastern Garb, and I make my armour look like it. When I eventually get a better armour, do I have to use some more of the glamour items? Because if that's the case, it seems like it would be quite a chore. Aren't they hard to get?
Yes, you will need to redo it if you get new gear.

No, they are not hard to get. They're easy lv 50 crafts you can make or buy for inflated prices in the market board.

haikira

Hey guys. Planning to jump into this with a pair of friends who I normally play coop games with. We're looking for something we can stick together through.

I was just wondering, can you do the majority of quests, including story, with a group of three players, or does it force single player for many of the quests?

Thanks,

Pachimari

So Hyaedelyn consist of 3 land masses, two of them are Meracydia and The New World. But what is the mass that has the Three Great Continents and Eorzea in it called?

Hey guys. Planning to jump into this with a pair of friends who I normally play coop games with. We're looking for something we can stick together through.

I was just wondering, can you do the majority of quests, including story, with a group of three players, or does it force single player for many of the quests?

Thanks,
You can do most of the story with a party, just gotta cash in the stuff individually and certain duties only allow you to complete them solo.
Also dungeons and trials will automatically assign a fourth for you.

duckroll

Made some pretty good progress over the weekend, but definitely slowing down now. Got my lancer to lvl30, powered through a marauder to 15, and got the dragoon job class finally. Now I'm lvl32 or so. Did the combat chocobo quest and unlocked the chocobo stable stuff as well.

I also cleared all the MSQ stuff up to the Manor dungeon which I'll be doing next. Messed around with PotD a few times with dresden, haly, hosanna. It's pretty crazy how it's basically a totally different minigame inside FFXIV. A Diablo/PSO clone in the FFXIV engine that uses assets from the main game essentially. The wacky retro UI components and the general framework design reminds me a lot of Dissidia012's dungeon mode for some reason. I think it's pretty fun. Great for leveling too, while hopefully getting some phat loot in the process.

So... the story is really tanking around this point of the game eh? I liked the Slyph story arc, it was cute, but... the way it ended at Toto-Rak was total garbage. The entire dungeon was garbage, and it really had nothing to do with the plot at all until the very last room. Total filler trash. And... then it spawns a series of misdirection quests where you go around looking for shit and getting trolled. Until the Little Ala Mhingo arc which was REALLY good imo. Great new perspective on the world, and the community there was interesting enough that I did a bunch of sidequests for the first time in a while too. Lol. Not sure where this weird Blood Countess ripoff quest line I'm doing now is headed, but it's decently interesting at least. Although I have to wonder how incompetent the Grand Companies are if I'm really the only one who can solve all these random mundane crimes. :p

I do like people that feel like they can tank when they're playing DPS. Going through normal Haukke to level my Gladiator and had a Ninja barking orders at me and running first into enemies and I guess expecting me to clean up after him.

There were a couple times I left him to his own devices and watched him flounder.

Also, which server are you guys on? Right now I'm on Excalibur.

When I run my roulettes today I'll hit 49 and then it should just be smooth sailing right through the end of the 2.0 MSQ.

Spoiler for near the end of the story, after a certain break in near Mor Dhona.
They hadn't even MENTIONED Thancred since the Scions had been invaded so I knew something was up with him. I guessed he was a traitor of some sort but him being Lahabrea was a twist I honestly didn't see coming.

duckroll

Thanks,

Gotta make sure you don't have 2 tanks, or 2 healers, or 3 dps.

So... the story is really tanking around this point of the game eh? I liked the Slyph story arc, it was cute, but... the way it ended at Toto-Rak was total garbage. The entire dungeon was garbage, and it really had nothing to do with the plot at all until the very last room. Total filler trash. And... then it spawns a series of misdirection quests where you go around looking for shit and getting trolled. Until the Little Ala Mhingo arc which was REALLY good imo. Great new perspective on the world, and the community there was interesting enough that I did a bunch of sidequests for the first time in a while too. Lol. Not sure where this weird Blood Countess ripoff quest line I'm doing now is headed, but it's decently interesting at least. Although I have to wonder how incompetent the Grand Companies are if I'm really the only one who can solve all these random mundane crimes. :p

As incompetent as all police forces are when a private detective is around.

Anyway, steel yourself as after you clear the Manor (BTW: note that you'll need to Return to the starting point after you clear the Manor's second boss; it's an unusual diversion from the normal linear dungeon design that the game almost never revisits) you will be entering the infamous Titan wild goose chase, undoubtedly the low point of the entire MSQ unless you really love being trolled. Stay strong! There's a somewhat interesting substory in the introduction to Coerthas after you get through that though, and that'll give you a first taste of the society that will be massively expanded upon in Heavensward.

Foxxsoxx

As incompetent as all police forces are when a private detective is around.

Anyway, steel yourself as after you clear the Manor (BTW: note that you'll need to Return to the starting point after you clear the Manor's second boss; it's an unusual diversion from the normal linear dungeon design that the game almost never revisits) you will be entering the infamous Titan wild goose chase, undoubtedly the low point of the entire MSQ unless you really love being trolled. Stay strong! There's a somewhat interesting substory in the introduction to Coerthas after you get through that though, and that'll give you a first taste of the society that will be massively expanded upon in Heavensward.

I'm still upset about the Titan troll days later, Square what were you thinking Q_Q

Just picked up a physical copy of the both games pack off their site for £25 which is pretty good.

Hopefully it will show up in a couple of days as im about to hit 20 on my Marauder and Rogue. I do have an airship pass now though so can go off an do more 0-20 jobs heh

I mean the plot didn't really pick up for me until you met the last pre-Heavensward primal. Everything after that just kept getting better and better, culminating with the best fight ever at the end of Heavensward.

I hope Stormblood is as good as Heavensward was plot-wise.

yaffi

Not sure where this weird Blood Countess ripoff quest line I'm doing now is headed, but it's decently interesting at least.

Asian MMOs seem to have a thing for manors and vampires. So most of the time they're a included for no apparent reason.

Haly

TERA had one entire zone that was basically "goth and vampires".

wamberz1

Note: if any of you guys playing through the campaign are playing dps, are in the FC and want faster queue times hit up the FC chat. Me or other tanks might want to help for second chance points and bonuses.

Vic_Viper

So are there going to be any restrictions/requirements for starting a Red Mage or Samurai when Stormblood comes out? Other than obviously buying Stormblood, is there like a level requirement that you need to be in order to pick up the quest?

Pachimari

Nobody knows what the land mass Eorzea is part of is called? I can't seem to find the name of it in the Encyclopedia.

Note: if any of you guys playing through the campaign are playing dps, are in the FC and want faster queue times hit up the FC chat. Me or other tanks might want to help for second chance points and bonuses.
Noted! I'll probably ask for help later tonight. But actually I have a hard time with three swarms on MSQ 168 I think it is.

Haly

So are there going to be any restrictions/requirements for starting a Red Mage or Samurai when Stormblood comes out? Other than obviously buying Stormblood, is there like a level requirement that you need to be in order to pick up the quest?
You will likely need a level 60 as RDM and SAM start out at level 50.

In HW, you needed to be level 50 to start a MCH/DRK/AST as they were in Ishgard, a level 50 zone. However I recall they don't force that requirement in SB. You won't need to physically enter the SB areas to start those jobs but the level requirement will likely be there.

Vic_Viper

You will likely need a level 60 as RDM and SAM start out at level 50.

In HW, you needed to be level 50 to start a MCH/DRK/AST as they were in Ishgard, a level 50 zone. However I recall they don't force that requirement in SB. You won't need to physically enter the SB areas to start those jobs but the level requirement will likely be there.

ok awesome, thanks!

duckroll

Okay, I cleared the Manor, which was a neat dungeon. But. After that I got sucked into the vortex of the Titan quest. Oh my God. Seriously. What the hell. Are they trying to give the worst impression ever of the Company of Heroes? They's ALL a bunch of fucking trolls. Even the those just -pretending- to be from the Company are trolls. Wtf!

Made it to unlocking the Cheese quest dungeon. Enough. ENOUGH. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom