• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

It's really annoying and not satisfying at all when the MSQ trolls you into doing stuff which is obviously totally pointless and a time waster ... I -really- hope they never ever ever ever do this again in the future.

Of all the posts that will be fun to look back upon later, this may be the best one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you are 'prepping for Stormblood', you don't need to worry. It comes in June, and right now 3 months is more than enough time to catch up in a leisurely way.

>not being in a week one content pushing static

At the very least I'm going to queue up like 16 quests to turn in all at once
on RDM.

Pachimari

What's worse than "grind" imo, is just plain awful misdirection quest lines like the one I'm doing now lol. It's really annoying and not satisfying at all when the MSQ trolls you into doing stuff which is obviously totally pointless and a time waster, especially when even the story acknowledges that, lol. I -really- hope they never ever ever ever do this again in the future.
I agree. Fuck these missions that asks you to go get something but oops it's actually this other thing. Total filler stuff right there. I just shake my head when the NPC basically says "you got trolled."

duckroll

In terms of "rushing" for Stormblood, I find that I'm less concerned with whether I can catch up by then (even if I don't, which is unlikely, the content isn't going anywhere), but rather I feel slightly pressured by time sensitive events like the Garo stuff. I really hope I don't miss out on it!

iammeiam

Guys the actual "Stormblood preparedness" issue is do you have enough gil to buy a house in the fourth district.

Our iLevels now won't do shit for us at 70, but the housing progression struggle will carry on directly.

Bowlie

Banned
Is there any point to being good at chocobo racing?

I got one for the Gold Saucer challenge logs, that give me MGP, and I wonder if I should leave my chocobo as she is and just win 10 races/do 20 races per week.

Squishy3

What's worse than "grind" imo, is just plain awful misdirection quest lines like the one I'm doing now lol. It's really annoying and not satisfying at all when the MSQ trolls you into doing stuff which is obviously totally pointless and a time waster, especially when even the story acknowledges that, lol. I -really- hope they never ever ever ever do this again in the future.
There's one more time in ARR (it's not as long as the Titan questline is though since that spans like 5 levels worth of quests) but it's a side effect of just having the story be spread out among 50 levels. The story in Heavensward and I'm sure Stormblood will be the same is much more focused and well paced due to it only having to cover 10 levels, with most of the meandering fetch quests relagated to sidequests in the zones.

As a sidenote, there'll be a good call back you'll appreciate later in the game. :p

Guys the actual "Stormblood preparedness" issue is do you have enough gil to buy a house in the fourth district.

Our iLevels now won't do shit for us at 70, but the housing progression struggle will carry on directly.

I'm sure whatever happens with housing in Stormblood, it will be handled the worst way possible. No matter how bad you think it can get, it will actually be worse. And every available housing plot will be sold out on Balmung in 0.5 seconds, as always.

Qvoth

ilvl matters somewhat though into new expansion, average ilvl 270 will probably bring you up to level 73/74 at the least, that was how it went with HW
higher ilvl means an easier time with job quests and the leveling dungeons and shit too

buying a house is always a matter of 1st come 1st serve, even if you have the money if you can't log as soon as it was open chances are the slot's taken
asked my fc the other day and i think they'll move to shirogane when it's open

iammeiam

ilvl matters somewhat though into new expansion, average ilvl 270 will probably bring you up to level 73/74 at the least, that was how it went with HW
higher ilvl means an easier time with job quests and the leveling dungeons and shit too

buying a house is always a matter of 1st come 1st serve, even if you have the money if you can't log as soon as it was open chances are the slot's taken
asked my fc the other day and i think they'll move to shirogane when it's open

iLevel kind of matters to the extent that it impacts when you'll care about dungeon drops, but the starter city will sell white gear sufficient to get you into the new dungeons, and everything will be tuned so low that i270 will be overkill. Your general actions day 1 of early access will be the same in i240 and i270 since you have to run the dungeons either way.

The limited nature of housing is actually why I called it out--either you're ready in time to buy or you're not; on a semi-lively server not being prepared will directly impact your ability to buy housing.

Realistically between the eventual Creator Savage unlock, Ultima dropping i270, incoming Diadem gear (I think?), and the planned doubling of scripture cap in the near future iLevel gonna rain from the heavens anyway, but as long as you make it past the minimum to finish the MSQ in HW you'll be fine.

Edzi

Okay, got like 9 levels today grinding leves and potd. My Marauder is now a lvl 34 Warrior, finally. Just 8 more levels and I'll be the same level as my Dragoon and able to do story missions again.

Qvoth

Okay, got like 9 levels today grinding leves and potd. My Marauder is now a lvl 34 Warrior, finally. Just 8 more levels and I'll be the same level as my Dragoon and able to do story missions again.

alt job has nothing to do with MSQ progression, i'm not sure what you're trying to do

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Both the 46-49 deadzone in ARR and the mid-50s "oh my god I hate Moogles" span in HW are spots where FFXIV's MSQ did basically abandon players to go grind for a while. They've been more or less spackled over at this point by XP buffs and alternate XP routes (PotD is great now but let us not forget that Challenge Log exp stopped scaling at 50; there's no indicator yet that PotD XP is going to scale on Stormblood launch and so it may end up being relatively useless if the XP curve post-60 stays up), but XIV definitely has fallen prone to the "screw you, level grind" issue before. It wouldn't be super surprising to see one pop up in Stormblood, too; a lot hinges on how they pace dungeon experience, since part of the problem at HW launch was dungeons providing relatively little XP, but at HW launch it would get pretty depressing to finish off the MSQ available and realize you needed to generate millions of XP before you could progress further because they stuck totally arbitrary deadzones in the leveling experience that served no purpose.

XP gaps aside, the Heavensward leveling tick/tock of new job skills alternating with new dungeons was a pretty good way to make every level feel meaningful (unless your job skill was garbage, hi Rend Mind)l, so it'd be nice to see them stick with that.

I didn't mind 50-60 the first time. All the side quests going through Heavensward made it pretty easy.

That second job though.... ugh....

ebil

Is there any repeat material or does every book have 100% new stuff? Why two for HW?
Zero repeat material, and to my knowledge they contain every single officially released illustration on top of the concept art. The second artbook for Heavensward probably covers patch 3.1-3.5.

duckroll

Does the ARR book also contain 1.0 stuff? What's the Encyclopaedia?

Also, if the new HW book contained 2.1-2.5 stuff, will 2.55 stuff be in the first Stormblood book instead?

ebil

Does the ARR book also contain 1.0 stuff? What's the Encyclopaedia?

Also, if the new HW book contained 2.1-2.5 stuff, will 2.55 stuff be in the first Stormblood book instead?
Yes, the ARR artbook has 1.0 stuff. The Encyclopaedia Eorzea is FF14's lore book. It's great quality, written in-character and contains a lot of stuff that isn't covered in the games. If you like the lore in this game it's a must have.

3.55 stuff (maybe even 3.5 story stuff) would probably be in Stormblood's artbook, yes. It's basically the expansion's prologue anyway.

B.K.

I've hit a roadblock in Heavensward. My next quest is level 57 and I'm level 56 with 697472/2592000 exp. I think I'm done for the night. I'm start grinding what I can tomorrow evening before maintenance.

Bowlie

Banned
I've hit a roadblock in Heavensward. My next quest is level 57 and I'm level 56 with 697472/2592000 exp. I think I'm done for the night. I'm start grinding what I can tomorrow evening before maintenance.

That's the same level I got stuck, and started doing more dungeons than the daily roulettes.

Dresden

Finished Crystal Tower tonight. It was pretty neat, a nice and short self-contained adventure. And seeing
Nero again
was nice, even as it makes me wonder if
Hauerchefant will pop back in for Stormblood.

That stupid bard hat didn't drop, though. Not happy about this.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

You're gonna hit another deadzone between 58 and 59, too. So be ready for that as well.

The last bit of HW's MSQ is paced pretty poorly, as far as levels go.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
XP gaps aside, the Heavensward leveling tick/tock of new job skills alternating with new dungeons was a pretty good way to make every level feel meaningful (unless your job skill was garbage, hi Rend Mind)l, so it'd be nice to see them stick with that.

Hey at least Rend Mind was somewhat new, the first job I leveled in early access was DRG.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's the same level I got stuck, and started doing more dungeons than the daily roulettes.
Just do Palace of the Dead 51-60, you'll get an ilv 230/255 weapon out of it and it will be over much faster than grinding regular dungeons.

Haly

I haven't bitched about PvP for a while.

PvP in this game sucks everyone moves at 300ping it's impossible to do things on reflex. There was a kill that was mine that was apparently not mine because by the time my skill's animation got off someone else had queued up a skill and got the finishing blow instead. There is a total disconnect between what you see and what's actually happening server side and all you can do is pray that what you think is happening is actually happening and not something else.

I lost a round of Feast because the other team had 3 healers to our 1 and of course we couldn't kill anyone while they had free rein to kill everyone. Another Feast round ended in a draw??? Because stalemates caused by evenly matched healers are so fun.

Back to your regularly scheduled Stormblood hype.

PvE has the same server delay. It is well-known that the position of anyone on the screen in FFXIV is where they were 0.3 seconds ago plus your roundtrip latency to the server. In the early days of ARR launch, this delay actually caused a lot of problems with certain mechanics, notably on Titan HM and later EX.

Technically your position is actually where you were 0.3 seconds ago plus your roundtrip latency too, except the game lets you move around on the client in an effort to make it appear as if the game occurs in real-time, as opposed to the reality that it actually occurs for most people a minimum of 1/2 second later.

Lanrutcon

Just do Palace of the Dead 51-60, you'll get an ilv 230/255 weapon out of it and it will be over much faster than grinding regular dungeons.

I can't bold this enough. Once you've unlocked POTD there is no better place to get some xp, barring roulettes. Queue times are insanely short, and completely independent of your job.

POTD also gives you:
- 2 unique weapon appearances
- A 230 and a 255 weapon
- Items you can trade for materia/pets (randomly)
- Items you can trade for materia/pets of your choice

Don't want the materia? Sell em! On my server some of the V materia goes for 100k+.

So there are really no downsides. You get xp, you get loot, you don't wait around.

Haly

Yes but in PvE this doesn't really actually matter because you have more than enough time to account for it, and movement is predictable enough that you can plan 0.5 seconds into the future.

0.5 seconds in PvP is the difference between getting a kill after popping all your cooldowns and not getting the kill, having to retreat and wait for a full minute before you can try again.

One thing that seriously grinds my gears is trying to use Assassinate only to see they already healed beyond the execute window. It's infuriating, like trying to play CS on dial up.

Why do they even have this delay? It feels like intentional design at this point.

Haly

At least MNKs seem pretty good for melee dps in pee vee pee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom