• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but in PvE this doesn't really actually matter because you have more than enough time to account for it, and movement is predictable enough that you can plan 0.5 seconds into the future.

0.5 seconds in PvP is the difference between getting a kill after popping all your cooldowns and not getting the kill, having to retreat and wait for a full minute before you can try again.

One thing that seriously grinds my gears is trying to use Assassinate only to see they already healed beyond the execute window. It's infuriating, like trying to play CS on dial up.

Why do they even have this delay? It feels like intentional design at this point.

The delay is there because of the rushed remaking of the original FFXIV 1.0 to 2.0/ARR. The client was completely remade but most of the server code carried over. The original FFXIV had servers only in Japan like FFXI did, and 1.0 was designed to account for the inherent lag with a much slower gameplay style, closer to how FFXI played in many ways.

2.0 added servers in North America but also a greater focus on reaction-based mechanics as it was closer to a WoW-style MMO. Complaints about the game's relative lack of responsiveness in a more action-oriented gameplay design began almost from the day of the 2.0 closed beta, but the devteam was based in Tokyo and only played the game on the Japanese servers, where no apparent lag was observed.

Yoshi himself didn't even know what North American lag was like until he appeared at the Fanfest in Las Vegas in 2014. He was surprised when actually trying to play the game there, asking someone "Why is there so much lag?" only to be told "That's how it always is." True story.

Oh man I didn't realise that the golden saucer was in this.

I've spent quite a while swearing at my TV when these assholes seem to magically trigger Same combos while playing cards. It's also nice of them to give you totally shite ones and even the weakest NPC has 2-3 2*+ ones per round

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
another request: repair EVERYTHING YOU OWN EVERYWHERE option for menders

kagamin

At least MNKs seem pretty good for melee dps in pee vee pee.

It's stupid unfair when you pop axe kick then EVERY SINGLE OFFENSIVE COOLDOWN AFTER YOU USE STEEL PEAK and they're essentially dead. I usually average about 150k damage on ice in shatter, my best being about 200k.

If by entertaining you mean "DPS who is most likely to get the tank killed"... then maybe...

I remember when I started as THM/BLM and I actually had no idea what pulls were so I pulled as thm and the tanks would always get pissy at me. lol, those days take me back. One time I even did flare in a Prae run with some of my best buddies and.... didn't even know that transpose brings back my mp. You'll have lots of fun moments.

duckroll

I'm also very "entertaining" when you run dungeons with me because I don't know the way or the mechanics and often run in the wrong directions, get lost, lose track of my party, and do other annoying things that slows everyone down! Plus, I watch all the cutscenes!

Bowlie

Banned
another request: repair EVERYTHING YOU OWN EVERYWHERE option for menders

please!

Just do Palace of the Dead 51-60, you'll get an ilv 230/255 weapon out of it and it will be over much faster than grinding regular dungeons.

I only came to know about the benefits of PotD in this thread; these old guides I read at that time told me to do FATEs and dungeons whenever I was underleveled ://

I kind of wish they would change EXP points to a percentage based system instead based on your level. It is daunting to see you require 1,000,000+ EXP to get your next level. So if you do a level 1 quest at Level 55 it would just give you 0.01% of your level but if you did a level 55 quest it could be 10% of your level. If you kill a super hard mob it could be 20% of your level etc.

Stuart444

Has anyone had an e-mail where someone tried to contact the SE customer support and thus you got an e-mail with a customer service survey but you hadn't actually contacted customer support?

The only thing I remember doing recently was submitting a report through FFXIV reporting a player but they wouldn't e-mail me because of that would they? I don't think they have before.

My SE Europe store account is okay along with my FFXIV account so I shouldn't worry about this should I?

EDIT: False alarm, I'm worrying over nothing. Seems like they do e-mail you if you contact support through game even just to report someone.

duckroll

- Cleared all the fucking pre-Titan troll quests (Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, I even have to set the table????)
- Got to lvl35
- Learned Elusive Jump
- Teamed up with GAF FC folks for Titan
- AWESOME BGM!!!!
- Watched #&^$*$^#&%$# Cutscenes after that
- FFXIV ARR is truly FFXII Reborn

Good stopping point for today. The story is really exciting now, and I even liked how the troll questline ended, but the trolling was SO PAINFUL. I think I started to lose it when that guy said he just wanted enough money to go home, and asked me to hunt some pelts for him. I was thinking, I HAVE 100K GIL, HOW ABOUT I JUST BUY YOU PASSAGE HOME????????????? Lmao.

draw4wild

I haven't experienced this level grind at all yet. I've only been back for 2+ weeks and In that time I got ninja from 1-52 (with boosted xp) and summoner from 50-54. I'm waiting for a friend to catch up in msq then we will do the Shiva patch onward together.

In that time just doing my leveling/trial/guildhest roulette daily with a smattering of PotD has kept the xp flowing in. (Plus I have ilvl235 weapon waiting for the summoner). It's probably 1million xp a day, would be even more if I ever did msq roulette or unlocked lvl 50 roulette again(I have 6 dungeons to do still)

DarkKyo

In terms of "rushing" for Stormblood, I find that I'm less concerned with whether I can catch up by then (even if I don't, which is unlikely, the content isn't going anywhere), but rather I feel slightly pressured by time sensitive events like the Garo stuff. I really hope I don't miss out on it!

I'm pretty sure I read that they said that the Garo stuff is going to be an unusually prolonged event where the end date is actually far past the Stormblood release, so you should have time!

I haven't experienced this level grind at all yet. I've only been back for 2+ weeks and In that time I got ninja from 1-52 (with boosted xp) and summoner from 50-54. I'm waiting for a friend to catch up in msq then we will do the Shiva patch onward together.

In that time just doing my leveling/trial/guildhest roulette daily with a smattering of PotD has kept the xp flowing in. (Plus I have ilvl235 weapon waiting for the summoner). It's probably 1million xp a day, would be even more if I ever did msq roulette or unlocked lvl 50 roulette again(I have 6 dungeons to do still)

The MSQ grind really happens when you only do the MSQ, as the experience gained from main quests alone isn't enough to cover parts of the end of the ARR line as well as the end of the HW line. This can be frustrating if you're a more casual player who just wants to be able to go through the story from beginning to end smoothly. If you're doing roulette and other stuff daily in addition to the MSQ, it won't be a big problem, at least where the game is at the moment.

Robin64

What is Roulette? Me noob.

The first tab in the Duty Finder, where you can queue up for certain categories such as "Levelling Dungeons" and get a bonus the first time you do it each day.

It's what gets higher level players into low level dungeons and keeps the game alive for new players.

What is Roulette? Me noob.

Where you are, you should have at least the leveling roulette unlocked and, if you've done a guildhest, the guildhest roulette unlocked. Those will give you bonus experience and money once a day. People at max level do these roulettes primarily to get tomes which can be used to buy gear and other endgame items.

Edzi

Oh I think I did that once. Was boring and took a lot of time. Ain't got time for that when there's wine and cheese to get! >_>

You're a Dragoon, that's why it took so long. DPS queue times are really long since so many people play them, and it's one of the reasons I decided to switch to tanking.

suzu

The leveling roulette is worth doing once a day. It's a nice chunk of exp. Just queue up and go do quests until it pops.

Sometimes you'll get Ifrit or Titan so you don't have to run a whole dungeon.

Pollux

Can we do it in about 6 hours when I need party members for the cheese dungeon?
I sat in a queue for that for over 20 minutes last night. Servers are down tonight but if you still haven't done it tomorrow let me know and I'll queue with you and some other GAFers.

Edit: and you did it lol never mind.

But if any GAFers want to do it tomorrow let me know

Edzi

I sat in a queue for that for over 20 minutes last night. Servers are down tonight but if you still haven't done it tomorrow let me know and I'll queue with you and some other GAFers.

Edit: and you did it lol never mind.

But if any GAFers want to do it tomorrow let me know

I'm always down to party with some gaffers. I think me and duckroll are around the same level too, but he'll probably surpass me soon.

Dresden

Doing all the roulettes daily has kept me paced with msq's level requirements, other than that one bad stretch from like 47 to 49. Got to what I'm guessing is the last HW area halfway through level 59.

Also had a random thought this morning that for MCH's button bloat, the three shots--split/slug/clean--should really just be one button, shifting depending on procs. Also for every other 1-2-3 combo in the game. Also why the fuck are rend mind and dismantle separate buttons

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Doing all the roulettes daily has kept me paced with msq's level requirements, other than that one bad stretch from like 47 to 49. Got to what I'm guessing is the last HW area halfway through level 59.

Also had a random thought this morning that for MCH's button bloat, the three shots--split/slug/clean--should really just be one button, shifting depending on procs. Also for every other 1-2-3 combo in the game. Also why the fuck are rend mind and dismantle separate buttons

MCH is the one job that absolutely can't get away with making its 123 one button.
There's situations where you might want to hold on to certain procs, no opener involves straight up 123-ing and at least one of them starts with using 2 to proc 3 in advance.

iammeiam

Nooooo, banking procs is an important part of MCH endgame mobility. Forcing you into 1-2-3 on proc is a net downgrade in functionality for the job because it completely prevents you from using procs for controlled movement and just generally makes the class a lot more braindead.

The second one is dumb. It's been dumb since day one, it remains dumb now, and will be dumb forever.

There's situations where you might want to hold on to certain procs, no opener involves straight up 123-ing and at least one of them starts with using 2 to proc 3 in advance.

I'm on my second stolen opener of doing this (there's a third that leads with Lead Shot that I don't think I have the latency to pull off) and I actually really like this opener; I could see them killing this as part of the way to lower the skill gap, but it's an interesting thing to mess around with at the moment.

Dresden

MCH is the one job that absolutely can't get away with making its 123 one button.

Would you have a link to that opener? I know that you should just proc another slug shot if you have ammo and a clean shot proc up, but not about the others.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Would you have a link to that opener? I know that you should just proc another slug shot if you have ammo and a clean shot proc up, but not about the others.

Here's what I use whenever I actually get to play Machinist, this is apparently outdated tech as well and current top players use something different but this seems to work for me so idk
Code:
Start with GB off and 5 ammo
HE+B4B
Slug Shot | RS+HC
Hot Shot | GB+pot
Lead Shot | Wildfire
Clean Shot | QR + Rapid
Split Shot | Gauss Round
Slug Shot | Reload
Split Shot | Reassemble
Clean Shot | Ricochet + Head Graze
Slug Shot | Blank
Clean Shot
It lets you get 3 clean shots under WF guaranteed

Village

I hate this game

DPS's want to blame everything on everything but their own ability to move out of the way of an oncoming attack.

And then I get kicked, I know SE can't fix people. But this is the shit that makes me not wanna play this game at all.

I can't bold this enough. Once you've unlocked POTD there is no better place to get some xp, barring roulettes. Queue times are insanely short, and completely independent of your job.

POTD also gives you:
- 2 unique weapon appearances
- A 230 and a 255 weapon
- Items you can trade for materia/pets (randomly)
- Items you can trade for materia/pets of your choice

Don't want the materia? Sell em! On my server some of the V materia goes for 100k+.

So there are really no downsides. You get xp, you get loot, you don't wait around.

>_> So...My Dragoon is currently 58 (like 10k xp off 59 to continue with MSQ)...I should do POTD? Do you just "get" the weapon when you complete a tier of the floors or is it a luck/token based thing?

iammeiam

Here's what I use whenever I actually get to play Machinist, this is apparently outdated tech as well and current top players use something different but this seems to work for me so idk

The new thing is to start with GB on so you can lead with Gauss Round, immediately GB off, and then do something mostly resembling what you've posted. You do enough setup stuff that GR comes back during Wildfire, so you (theoretically) gain a usage of GR in the fight without actually delaying your opener at all. Lead Shot and Hot Shot get desynced but a couple of GCDs which is weird, but beyond that it's ok.

The new-new thing is to lead with an unbuffed Lead Shot followed by GR, since the cast time on the Lead Shot doesn't matter if you're hitting it and GR simultaneously with the tank pulling. But it has a big knock-on effect since it puts you an ammo off the others.

It all goes funny depending on when everyone else is getting their group buffs out, but it's been interesting to play around with.

Dresden

Code:
Start with GB off and 5 ammo
HE+B4B
Slug Shot | RS+HC
Hot Shot | GB+pot
Lead Shot | Wildfire
Clean Shot | QR + Rapid
Split Shot | Gauss Round
Slug Shot | Reload
Split Shot | Reassemble
Clean Shot | Ricochet + Head Graze
Slug Shot | Blank
Clean Shot
It lets you get 3 clean shots under WF guaranteed

The new thing is to start with GB on so you can lead with Gauss Round, immediately GB off, and then do something mostly resembling what you've posted. You do enough setup stuff that GR comes back during Wildfire, so you (theoretically) gain a usage of GR in the fight without actually delaying your opener at all. Lead Shot and Hot Shot get desynced but a couple of GCDs which is weird, but beyond that it's ok.

The new-new thing is to lead with an unbuffed Lead Shot followed by GR, since the cast time on the Lead Shot doesn't matter if you're hitting it and GR simultaneously with the tank pulling. But it has a big knock-on effect since it puts you an ammo off the others.

It all goes funny depending on when everyone else is getting their group buffs out, but it's been interesting to play around with.

Hmm, thanks. I remember reading some advice about taking off gauss barrel near the end for auto attack ticks too, is that ever worth it?

God really hoping my copy turns up tomorrow.. Ive now managed to get Goldsmith up to 20 and Pugalist to 16.

So im so far sitting on these on my trail account

20 Goldsmith
20 Maruder
19 Rogue
16 Pugalist
15 or so Mining
15 or so Armour smith
10 ish Blacksmith
10 ish Fishing

I really wish I had done the bloody Noob traning chain first though as it gives you a 30% Xp ring up to level 30.

iammeiam

Hmm, thanks. I remember reading some advice about taking off gauss barrel near the end for auto attack ticks too, is that ever worth it?

In very specific circumstances, yes--in the opener I posted you turn off GB at the very end, before the last split shot, because the split + auto attack will do more damage than just a split with GB up (AFAIK unless you're skill speeded beyond all logical reason and super low latency that split isn't making it into WF; the Autoattack might hit during WF though and boost WF damage a little, which makes it even better.) Since weapon delay means you won't get an auto attack every GCD, leaving GB off for more than one GCD will end up being a damage loss. It's also a flat loss if you have buffs up, or are using an oGCD, and we're talking sub-1% DPS gains done optimally so it's not huge to stress over. It's also by and large better if your choices are 'drop the entire GCD to move' or 'turn off GB', but it's your last resort movement option--procs or Rapid Fire will be better, but no-GB damage is better than no damage at all.

TheChaos0

God really hoping my copy turns up tomorrow.. Ive now managed to get Goldsmith up to 20 and Pugalist to 16.

So im so far sitting on these on my trail account

20 Goldsmith
20 Maruder
19 Rogue
16 Pugalist
15 or so Mining
15 or so Armour smith
10 ish Blacksmith
10 ish Fishing

I really wish I had done the bloody Noob traning chain first though as it gives you a 30% Xp ring up to level 30.

I might sub again tonight if I have time to play, how do you get that? Don't think there was such a ring when I played the game which was Heavensward.

Another photo from Idylshire.

3roc.jpg

Bowlie

Banned
I might sub again tonight if I have time to play, how do you get that? Don't think there was such a ring when I played the game which was Heavensward.

You have to do the Hall of the Novice missions. There's a NPC near every one of the 3 cities' inns, plus in other places around the world.

They are solo duties that teach you basic fight mechanics, like avoiding AoEs, killing the caster first, etc.

You get good low-level equipment plus that ring!

You have to do the Hall of the Novice missions. There's a NPC near every one of the 3 cities' inns, plus in other places around the world.

They are solo duties that teach you basic fight mechanics, like avoiding AoEs, killing the caster first, etc.

As Bowie said!

I was surprised they game dished out such a mad XP boost for such an easy chain of quests. I thought I would just get a nice weapon for a few levels or something haha.

TheChaos0

As Bowie said!

I was surprised they game dished out such a mad XP boost for such an easy chain of quests. I thought I would just get a nice weapon for a few levels or something haha.

That's nice, thanks. My Paladin is 50 but I was thinking of going Warrior, still a tank but a bit different. My Marauder is level 15 though, so this will help on top of other bonus exp.

Dresden

In very specific circumstances, yes--in the opener I posted you turn off GB at the very end, before the last split shot, because the split + auto attack will do more damage than just a split with GB up (AFAIK unless you're skill speeded beyond all logical reason and super low latency that split isn't making it into WF; the Autoattack might hit during WF though and boost WF damage a little, which makes it even better.) Since weapon delay means you won't get an auto attack every GCD, leaving GB off for more than one GCD will end up being a damage loss. It's also a flat loss if you have buffs up, or are using an oGCD, and we're talking sub-1% DPS gains done optimally so it's not huge to stress over. It's also by and large better if your choices are 'drop the entire GCD to move' or 'turn off GB', but it's your last resort movement option--procs or Rapid Fire will be better, but no-GB damage is better than no damage at all.

oh lol, didn't click that link. Thanks, not gonna stress over stance dancing too much then.

>_> So...My Dragoon is currently 58 (like 10k xp off 59 to continue with MSQ)...I should do POTD? Do you just "get" the weapon when you complete a tier of the floors or is it a luck/token based thing?

In POTD whatever gear you're currently using is irrelevant. Instead inside the dungeon you use whats called aetherpool gear, which starts at level 1. Throughout POTD you will get upgrades for your weapon/armor from silver chests.

Once your weapon and armor both have a level of 30 you can trade it in for the 230 one. It will probably take you about 2-3 full runs of floors 1-50 to get the weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom