• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I feel like the best part of the whole thing is Diadem was supposed to hit originally with the final relic step.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Justifiable, IMO. I don't particularly care that Diadem weapons outclass Creator, but if these things are actually obtainable, it's a spectacular undercut of the relic for no readily understandable reason beyond trying to force people who wouldn't Diadem normally to Diadem for BiS. 270 would be fine, even 275 constrained to a normal secondary budget would still preserve relic's BiS nature as reward for the bullshit grind.

It also makes not putting gobdip in the 24-man pool pretty much as soon as 3.5 hit completely illogical.

Who cares about the Relic, seriously, it's only became relevant for THIS one last step.
What matters is that according to the devs, facerolling dinos should totally give you stronger, potentially much stronger weapons, than coordinated team raiding of harder content. It was already bad enough that some jobs got absolutely craptastic substats, but this is just insulting. At least Diadem 1.0 didn't have weapons, at least its gear was of equal item level, this?

And what are people even gonna kill with those weapons, Proto goddamn Ultima? This hilariously only truly messes up with the most skilled and dedicated of players, speedrun raiders.

Ketsen

I dunno about everyone else but I'm enjoying the reactions some people are having at weapons that'll be completely obsolete in around 100 days.

Maybe I can get an i280 weapon or two for jobs I got to 60 in PotD and never unlocked HW skills for! \o/

Omni

I dunno about everyone else but I'm enjoying the reactions some people are having at weapons that'll be completely obsolete in around 100 days.

Maybe I can get an i280 weapon or two for jobs I got to 60 in PotD and never unlocked HW skills for! \o/
Point is, people worked their asses for Savage and Relic weapons. Because they're justifiably BiS, right?

Now you can run diadem once or twice, kill some random trash mobs and get a weapon that's scaled ridiculously high. It really just shits over everyone. Relic was what, BiS for not even two weeks? And for what, to get people to play some shitty grindfest mode more?

BLCKATK

I know the 280 weapon thing seems bad but like, there is no way it's going to be THAT easy to obtain it, let alone get good secondaries on it. I feel like a good 280 weapon will be a diamond in the rough.

Wazzy

Banned
Oh my god make it easy to obtain please LOLL

I need a decent weapon and don't want to wait another 4 weeks to get my shire.

iammeiam

Who cares about the Relic, seriously, it's only became relevant for THIS one last step.
What matters is that according to the devs, facerolling dinos should totally give you stronger, potentially much stronger weapons, than coordinated team raiding of harder content.

Relic already established that in the last few months of the expansion BiS weapons would come from faceroll content and not from anything challenging. That the braindead grind is Diadem now doesn't change that raiding was never going to be how you got the best weapon at the end of the expansion.

That's why I care about relic--that's where the actual BiS is, and that's what's getting toppled by this change. That Creator weapons are even more not-BiS than they were before is kind of a wash. Random substats fucking over speedkillers also blows, but Creator weapons enjoyed their time at the top of the heap for about as long as we all expected. Relic's time as BiS, the supposed end reward for years of bullshit grind, will be two whole weeks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Relic already established that in the last few months of the expansion BiS weapons would come from faceroll content and not from anything challenging. That the braindead grind is Diadem now doesn't change that raiding was never going to be how you got the best weapon at the end of the expansion.

And that is absolutely shit design, but what can you expect from an advanced ERP chatroom simulator. So done with Yoshi's game.

Ketsen

Point is, people worked their asses for Savage and Relic weapons. Because they're justifiably BiS, right?

Now you can run diadem once or twice, kill some random trash mobs and get a weapon that's scaled ridiculously high. It really just shits over everyone. Relic was what, BiS for not even two weeks? And for what, to get people to play some shitty grindfest mode more?

It doesn't take away any personal achievement from getting those weapons (and I have both!) and at this stage of the patches, there's not going to be any harder content until the expansion's out anyway. Assuming you've cleared Savage and stuff already, it in no way negates those accomplishments while also letting newer people more easily catch up and potentially try out harder content before everyone decides to just rush through it at 70 unsynced!

Assuming the weapons aren't gonna be behind some crazy FFXI original Dynamis-y style boss insanity thing, anyway.

Abyssea-style mechanics when

Redx508

And that is absolutely shit design, but what can you expect from an advanced ERP chatroom simulator. So done with Yoshi's game.

hold up now you hating on ERP? you need to chill

286020511635472384.png

I feel like we went through this exact same argument in 2.55.

yea i think we did lol

You know how this game works. Things become obsolete over time. Most "skilled and dedicated players" cleared A12 long ago when it was actually relevant and don't care. AndI think those who haven't aren't doing it for weapons, they just want to clear it. Yes, it will probably be just "facerolling dinos" and praying for RNG but it's a new "goal" until 3.0 and I'm okay with that. Yoshi-P has mentioned that we'd have content to keep raiders occupied, and this could be it.
You could make an argument about the relic since it just came out and it actually takes more effort to get than A12 weapons
(only half joking)

scy

Considering Creator is what it is, and it being the end of the content cycle anyway, the obsolete argument in general is weird.
And, really, if you want to go that route, the addition of echo is a more relevant expiration date

It's more the mentality behind the implementation since it's not like they have a good track record for good decisions.

I know the 280 weapon thing seems bad but like, there is no way it's going to be THAT easy to obtain it, let alone get good secondaries on it. I feel like a good 280 weapon will be a diamond in the rough.

All signs point to it being from the emergency mission things; rarity (as a function of time, not availability) and RNG will make the playing field for speedrun content awkward at best, completely removed otherwise.

As far as the stats are concerned, from a WAR perspective the thing only needs around ~40% of the stat budget dedicated to any DPS secondary for it to be a net gain over A12S/Relic options. So I mean, if you get a literally naked stat stick one then sure, I guess?

Yoshi-P has mentioned that we'd have content to keep raiders occupied, and this could be it.

By implementing a thing that does the opposite? It removes the one thing most of us gave a damn about at this point, really.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You know how this game works. Things become obsolete over time. Most "skilled and dedicated players" cleared A12 long ago when it was actually relevant and don't care. AndI think those who haven't aren't doing it for weapons, they just want to clear it. Yes, it will probably be just "facerolling dinos" and praying for RNG but it's a new "goal" until 3.0 and I'm okay with that. Yoshi-P has mentioned that we'd have content to keep raiders occupied, and this could be it.
You could make an argument about the relic since it just came out and it actually takes more effort to get than A12 weapons
(only half joking)

It's not obsolete as the raid tier is still there, unnerfed and on lockout.
If this isn't out of touch, I don't know what is.

Lanrutcon

I am psyched about the new Diadem. I don't really think those 280's will be easy to get. If they are, then it's probably an attempt to equalise people's gear in preparation for SB.

Ketsen

Considering Creator is what it is, and it being the end of the content cycle anyway, the obsolete argument in general is weird.
And, really, if you want to go that route, the addition of echo is a more relevant expiration date

It's more the mentality behind the implementation since it's not like they have a good track record for good decisions.

The mentality is possibly "hey we need to keep people interested in this game between now and the expansion, can we do something crazy with that cool space dinosaur place thing we spent a ton of time on except now everyone's kinda ignoring it?"

It's basically harmless content in the end and the usual suspects will use the same discussion techniques to complain about their high-end toys either being outclassed by something easier to get or the gear they already have from weeks/months ago just being easier to get in general. Like the same way they complained when hunts were implemented as a way to get sands/etc.

Or when Syrcus Tower added them as drops.

Or when the first Diadem came out with then-highest ilvl armor.

Plus it's win-win in the end anyway:
1: Potential for people catching up pre-Stormblood to get quick endgame-level gear to try out Creator if they're curious enough and get a feel for how endgame raiding would work, maybe even giving more of a pool of players willing to raid in 4.0
2: New toys for current top-end raiders to try and see how much they can push their DPS or maybe even gear up and mess around with some other job that's low priority in gear you'd otherwise get from raid or tomes
3: BABBY DINO

scy

It's basically harmless content in the end and the usual suspects will use the same discussion techniques to complain about their high-end toys either being outclassed by something easier to get or the gear they already have from weeks/months ago just being easier to get in general. Like the same way they complained when hunts were implemented as a way to get sands/etc.

I give zero shits about my gear? Creator was a joke of a tier and anything over i250 is basically superfluous. All of the gear carries zero weight for ego, really. What is relevant is the treatment of the relic line that most players held as their ticket to actual super cool loot. I don't have my relic so as far as that angle is concerned, I'm mostly unaffected, but it's still been a core carrot-aspect to a lot of people and was a basic selling point of this patch to them.

What does bug me is the content left for me to engage in is trying to not be a shitter and push for good parses to see how well I can perform. That entire playing field gets scrapped with this. Echo was already the looming deadline for this mattering at all and this accelerated it unexpectedly (as well as mocking those people who rushed BiS relics for this very purpose).

As far as a purely catch-up mechanic is concerned, I don't care and I'm all for it. I have had no problems with the idea of off-patches being used for that specific thing and trying to make this into anything else is pretty disrespectful of the entire argument.

Pachimari

Bonus code for in-game items?

It might be because Stormblood isn't out yet......
But I am supposed to be able to redeem the items now.

You're entering it in the "Enter pre-order Bonus Code (Early Access Code)" section?

If you're entering it there and making sure all letters are capitalized and it's still not working, then yeah, definitely something wrong with your code.
That is where I am trying to redeem the cost. I even copy-pasted the code so I'm sure it's the exact same. It just says it is invalid.

there are 2 codes, the 1st that you have to redeem on the redeem site https://redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com/en
after you redeem it there, S-E will send you the codes to redeem on mogstation like what katagai showed
at least this was how it works for me, but i preordered from greenmangaming
I'm at the step where I have to enter the 20-digit code on the Mog Station but it doesn't work.

I wrote them back anyway, but I'm not sure if they'll receive my reply if I just reply to the email directly.

Ketsen

I think the most important lesson here is I can get an i280 weapon for my MCH that never learned any skills from quests 35+ and start a baby dinosaur cartel. Jayhawk hired as equal 50/50 partner let's go!

iammeiam

Plus it's win-win in the end anyway:
1: Potential for people catching up pre-Stormblood to get quick endgame-level gear to try out Creator if they're curious enough and get a feel for how endgame raiding would work, maybe even giving more of a pool of players willing to raid in 4.0

This doesn't require 280 weapons. They still haven't made the tome weapon upgrade item available to the general public. The weapons could be 270 or 275 and still serve exactly that purpose; non-raiders without a relic have i265 weapons at best, 280 isn't required to give them an extra boost.

2: New toys for current top-end raiders to try and see how much they can push their DPS or maybe even gear up and mess around with some other job that's low priority in gear you'd otherwise get from raid or tomes

If they're going this angle, they don't do pink weapons with randomized secondaries. Like, 280 weapons with guaranteed secondaries would probably be a solid jolt in the arm for speedkills, but this is RNG on RNG for the sake of RNG/extending the grind. If the weapon stat budgets turn out to be broken like the original Diadem gear, it's going to cause massive imbalances in speedkills just based on the secondaries people can get to pop up.

3: BABBY DINO

And see this is why they didn't need to be 280--They know Diadem 1.0 was bad. They know they needed to fix it. If they did a solid fix, people will do it because it's fun to do. Aquapolis and PotD are both side content that people do for its own sake and not for iLevel (PotD does give a nice route to a primal-tier weapon, I guess, but it didn't need to be BiS to justify itself.)

I just keep looping back to there being no actual motivator for these things to be 280 short of trying to force people into Diadem who don't actually want to Diadem, and that's not super encouraging. It's an extremely odd choice to repeat the pattern that led to Diadem 1.0 imploding the way it did.

Cmagus

(only half joking)

The relic will also most likely carry over to the next one like they did the first time around so it's a future investment the way I see it. At this point Diadem is basically a way to help people get caught up quick before the expansion and it's not like you'll have an advantage by having a higher weapon since there is no more "difficult" content coming.

Those who cleared savage have had a really good weapon for awhile now, they can say they've cleared savage and have stuff like mounts and better gear to show for it. Most people even with a i280 weapon still won't and probably can't clear savage.

The emergency mission stuff sounds cool, kind of like PSO2 where random bosses can pop in a run at any time that's probably one of the best parts of that game.

Sorian

Banned
Let's be real for a second. Diadem 1 imploded because they needed the piñata. It was mindless fun and gave a lot of reward. Most of the reward was shit but the high number made it so that you were always seeing interesting stuff. It died when they made it so you maybe got 4 things a run. Also maybe it'll actually be fun for the sake of being fun.

Maybe

Ketsen

NO FUN ALLOWED THIS IS NO GAME.

ONLY BABY DINO CARTELS.

(Asami do you want to be the 50/50 partner Jayhawk is being too greedy)

Jayhawk

NO FUN ALLOWED THIS IS NO GAME.

ONLY BABY DINO CARTELS.

(Asami do you want to be the 50/50 partner Jayhawk is being too greedy)

Toxic casual core always wanting handouts. Instead of buying the latest iPhone, you could spend that gil on new minions.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Alright, so you kill some monsters the game tells you to and then do some fates.
You get 10 lockboxes for that.
Lockboxes are like hoard, random loot that can be brass spoils or 265 gear or whatever.
Damaged lockboxes come from fates and you need 40 for one appraisal but otherwise they're the same.
Once you're done with team task you can go to the lower area where there's stronger monsters through aetherial gaps.
We found an NM there, it dropped one normal lockbox, 50 damaged ones and a paissa brat.

Not sure how to get emergency missions yet but the weapons aren't rollable loot, it's a ~16mil HP boss and who gets loot appears to be completely random.
It may or may not be possible to also get weapons from lockboxes but they're of top rarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom