• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

What are you guys doing with all of your helmet, gloves, pants, shirt etc.? My retainer can't hold any more of my stuff and I don't own a house to store my stuff.

iammeiam

Go to the guy in Ishgard and buy a pass to Diadem; if you didn't do the original you have to talk to a guy to unlock it (
To undertake exploratory missions without a free company, players must first speak with the NPC Aurvael in the Pillars (X:14.5 Y:10.9).

Queue up and you should get in fast.

Stat budgets comically broken. Also saw somebody claim Accuracy is in the healer secondary pool but I won't believe it until I see it.
ffxiv_09032017_124926.png

watching the guy in my group who pushed himself through relic in a compressed timeframe to be done this week slowly lose his mind

Popcorn value is 10/10

Lanrutcon

That 280 weapon looks sweet. If I get one, will it make me an upper class elitist pigdog? can I sit around scoffing at the raiders with their paltry 275 weapons? I've always wanted to scoff.

scy

That 280 weapon looks sweet. If I get one, will it make me an upper class elitist pigdog? can I sit around scoffing at the raiders with their paltry 275 weapons? I've always wanted to scoff.

laugh at (non-relic) DRKs with their i270 still for bonus points

Zalasta

What are you guys doing with all of your helmet, gloves, pants, shirt etc.? My retainer can't hold any more of my stuff and I don't own a house to store my stuff.

See if you can store some of them in the inn. Otherwise you have to hire more retainers or vendor them or spiritbind them then convert into materias or desynthesize.

Owning a house has nothing to do with storing items, by the way. The only items it will store are furnitures you place on it, which you probably don't have since you don't own a house in the first place, so they're useless for you.

And answering the question, sell them, convert them into materia if they reached 100% spiritbond, or exchange them for FC Seals if they're Dungeon Drops. Assuming of course you don't want to keep them for glamour reasons. Then... buy more retainers. I suposse you have the 2 free retainers, but you used retainer in singular form, so, just in case, you can have 2 free retainers.

BLCKATK

I just want to know if new Diadem sucks less than the old one if the loot piñata aspect does nothing for you.

I'm not too into the loot pinata thing.

I like it more because I'm moving around the map and checking areas. The fact that I know that the movement aspect of the content will not change is nice. It was pretty shitty to do Diadem at release, have fun exploring the map, and expect to do that the next day, but instead spend the entire time on one island.

There is still a lot more than could be expanded on for this content, but it's in a passable state. It'll be fun with large groups of friends. Exploring the map will not require too much effort or coordination. Just a casual collection of tokens from doing activities. I can't comment on the emergency mission, I haven't seen one spawn yet.

Small comment on the loot: The acquisition of loot is vastly improved. Much better to just gather tokens while in the zone, and then spend them when you leave. The 280 weapon is surprising, and kind of baffling, but I really think they will be few and far between. Just a carrot for the people that need to have the best. The average player will not have one of these.

Stat budgets comically broken. Also saw somebody claim Accuracy is in the healer secondary pool but I won't believe it until I see it.

watching the guy in my group who pushed himself through relic in a compressed timeframe to be done this week slowly lose his mind

Popcorn value is 10/10
What the FUCK

This thing has 30-40 ilvls worth of stat upgrades, what were they thinking?

Lanrutcon

What the FUCK

Bear in mind though, here are the checks as I understand them:

- Did the right event spawn? (RNG!)
- Did the weapon drop? (RNG!)
- Is the weapon the right one for your job? (RNG!)
- Does the weapon have well rolled stats? (RNG!)

...I'm getting WoW: Legion flashbacks, man.

Pachimari

What is this talk about ilvl and a2 and stuff like that? Is that something I'll learn about and get into after I've completed all of the ARR content?

kagamin

Item level doesn't really come into play or matter really until after you finish up the HW main story and move into the updates.

Lanrutcon

What is this talk about ilvl and a2 and stuff like that? Is that something I'll learn about and get into after I've completed all of the ARR content?

Every item you wear has an item level (iLevel). The average of all your item's iLevel is your character's item level. An item's item level indicates how many stats it has (stat budget, if you will).

When you hit max character level, you stop leveling through xp and start leveling through your item level. A new level 60 character would have a low item level (180ish?), while an experienced level 60 character would sit in the 250+ range. Activities reward better (higher item level) gear the further into the game you are.

The newest content for example, gives item level 280 weapons and buckets full of raider tears.

Sorian

Banned
Oh great. So I'll just focus on the MSQs in ARR for now, and some of the side content to unlock stuff.

You have an item level now if you really care, open your inventory sheet and there is a number in the top right if your character picture. As said though, that level won't really come into play until level 50 at the earliest.

iammeiam

Small comment on the loot: The acquisition of loot is vastly improved. Much better to just gather tokens while in the zone, and then spend them when you leave. The 280 weapon is surprising, and kind of baffling, but I really think they will be few and far between. Just a carrot for the people that need to have the best. The average player will not have one of these.

Thanks for the input; I did original Diadem like twice before deciding it was boring and only ever going back to gather. It'd be nice if this one pans out as something actually entertaining to do.

And I'd honestly prefer if the 280s were going to exist they'd be easier to access; their existence alone is enough to force a lock and reboot of fflogs rankings for whatever's left of pre-echo Creator. But since they pulled the trigger, I'd rather they be something everyone can get to be on equal footing than an infinite grindfest hoping RNG does you a solid.

What the FUCK

I have yet to see an actual sensible reason for making them 280 beyond "try to browbeat minmaxers into doing Diadem because we just made competing for speed or dps with non-Diadem weapons impossible."

The caster weapons are +3 WD over the 275 lux. The caster 275 Lux is 4 WD over the 245 Midan weapons. Add in the extra main stat and the broken secondaries, and going from Lux to a 280 with a broken stat budget is basically the same as going from Midan to Lux.

Where it gets super baffling is sort of two-pronged:

1.) Diadem was supposed to hit in 3.55a until 'technical difficulties'; so did they originally plan to drop Lux in the same patch as i280? lolwhytho

2.) oh my god why didn't they do this in Gordias when it would have had the potential for real, meaningful upgrade that impacted pain points for people?

also I swear why isn't there gob dip in Dun Scaith? Why the hell didn't they give non-raiders access to i270 before now if the end goal was 280?

I know the in thing is to play it off as raiders getting hyper defensive about gear, but that's just silly since raid weapons had already ceded BiS to relics. The 280s are just weird because they solve a nonexistent mystery problem, and kind of upend the rest of the pre-echo tier for anyone going for speed or personal parses. Why does this thing exist/why does it exist before echo

Lanrutcon

Damn diadem and them requiring maxed gatherers:/

Was hoping the 3.55b was the story patch, hopefully we get a date this weekend.

What are the advantage to going into Diadem as a gathering class? can I swap once I'm in? Like, queue as a SCH then go Miner whenever I see a node thingy?

Sorian

Banned
I'm sure I used the same gif last time.

who_gives_a_shit.gif

Diadem isn't killing raiding, anyone who cares did it already, raiding is dead as is the game until the expansion.

scy

Bear in mind though, here are the checks as I understand them:

- Did the right event spawn? (RNG!)
- Did the weapon drop? (RNG!)
- Is the weapon the right one for your job? (RNG!)
- Does the weapon have well rolled stats? (RNG!)

...I'm getting WoW: Legion flashbacks, man.

I'll reserve judgement for when I get around to doing it but I hope it's at least fun for it's own sake and not just the carrot attached to it; if it's fun and compelling content on it's own, then whatever that's fine.

The Legion reference is interesting if only since it feels a lot like Mythic+ vs Emerald Nightmare early on for Diadem vs Relic.

"Have some gear, it'll be shit in the expansion anyway"

Ultimately, this is what it boils down to. I'm pretty sure it's just them testing out some system side stuff primarily and they tossed this in because whatever.

Honestly, at this point I'm a little curious why they did i265 for the non-weapon stuff. At that point it'd be way too funny to not just laugh at the whole thing. If not for it needing to last so long without a (real) lockout, I'd wish the whole thing was just static stats tbh. Then again, I also know the RNG aspect is pretty addictive for some people.

Edit:

Diadem isn't killing raiding, anyone who cares did it already, raiding is dead as is the game until the expansion.

Yeeeeeeah, killing raiding is excessive. At worst it hurts the people who want to compete via FFLogs but that's primarily due to the RNG nature of the gear removing a baseline. Everyone else is basically just going "is it fun tho?"

It's mostly harmless to most people but I still wonder why i280 at all when they kept i270 / Gobdip locked away.

All Diadem is killing is my will to do another relic and maybe some speedrunning groups. It's really annoying but lets not overestimate the effects of this.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's not fun tho.
It's the same as previous Diadem except with Hoard for loot and FATEs instead of direct spawns.
I'd love to give this "new type of raid" (chortle, guffaw) a go if it bothered to show up during the three hours I spent in there.

If there's a spawn condition and we haven't found it yet, fine.
If it's just random and you gotta afk until you get lucky, throw it in the trash.

Pachimari

Every item you wear has an item level (iLevel). The average of all your item's iLevel is your character's item level. An item's item level indicates how many stats it has (stat budget, if you will).

When you hit max character level, you stop leveling through xp and start leveling through your item level. A new level 60 character would have a low item level (180ish?), while an experienced level 60 character would sit in the 250+ range. Activities reward better (higher item level) gear the further into the game you are.

The newest content for example, gives item level 280 weapons and buckets full of raider tears.

You have an item level now if you really care, open your inventory sheet and there is a number in the top right if your character picture. As said though, that level won't really come into play until level 50 at the earliest.

Hmm, I'll take a closer look at this later today.

Right now, I am stuck at the "Escape from Castrum Centri" MSQ even though I levelled myself up to lvl 49. There is one guy who just won't die, and then it says "Duty Failed," every single time. :(

ebil

Reading about this all is too funny. I would have liked the gear to be 270 for the meldowns alone.

Call it revenge Schadenfreude for our SCH blowing a fuse at people choosing glamour over new BiS accessories last week.

What are the advantage to going into Diadem as a gathering class? can I swap once I'm in? Like, queue as a SCH then go Miner whenever I see a node thingy?

No, clue. I went to diadem once and remember not being able to do a damn thing besides fly around cause my gatherers weren't high enough:/

How often does the encyclopedia eorzea come back into stock? I wanna grab that and a dragoon pin before the pin goes oos.

Because you too can have the best gear half a year after it matters.

��

Nooo, I mean like the relic was invalidated too fast even though it felt too easy. It would have been nice not to invalidate it with these boring RNG weapons. That's why I'm angry. The nerf to the umbrite step was pretty severe but it doesn't mean the 275 Best weapon should be invalid in 2 weeks. May as well unlock savage at this point since rng dino island is now current content.

iammeiam

I'm sure I used the same gif last time.

who_gives_a_shit.gif

See, if I said it killed raiding either then or now that might be relevant. I think back then I mostly called it boring and doomed to fail within a month, and now I'd say it's a disruption that's going to end up impacting and upending a lot of what's left of the endgame (since the damage ceiling just got a huge boost), but it won't kill raiding, just sort of scatter and reshuffle everything.

Raiding as already dead only works if you limit raiding to prog and initial farm clears; optimization/speedkills/pad runs were/are still a thing. Echo would have been the natural end of that; this is an unexpected reboot/shift of it Just Because. I stick with my initial stance that this is sort of a shitty thing to do in light of how recent the relic completion was/that it was originally apparently going to hit unannounced simultaneously with the 275 relic when one of the appeals of relic was supposed to be it eventually evolving to be The Best. I don't see a real clear need in the game that these were filling that i275 wouldn't have, and it makes the reticence to put gobdip in DS super confusing. This will have knock-on impact to people who are still raiding for whatever reason, which is worth discussing, since the damage jump is bizarrely huge given the 5 iLevels.

Maybe this is really all just because YoshiP wanted to guarantee everyone could skip Soar.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is it easy to get a Hunting Hawk? that's legit all I care about.

Every time you complete boss fate in the part below you get a random minion. Hunting Hawk is among those, and I got one on the third FATE. Market Boars are crashing harder than Windows ME.

ebil

If this is their blueprint for Eureka though... Gods help us all.
Every time you complete boss fate in the part below you get a random minion. Hunting Hawk is among those, and I got one on the third FATE. Market Boars are crashing harder than Windows ME.
Great, that thing was like 25 million and as much as I love hawks, I'm not spending 25m on a minion. Thanks!

Sorian

Banned
Why can't people pad numbers with a higher tier weapon, isn't it the same non sense if everyone is on a level playing field?

But, like, who cares? The relic never mattered in the first place, what was there to invalidate?
It doesn't matter harder, if that makes sense. This weapon should have been released alongside the Lux weapons so all the time spent on the relic could have been spent doing this instead.
Why can't people pad numbers with a higher tier weapon, isn't it the same non sense if everyone is on a level playing field?
Because it's RNG squared. Some groups will have more weapons than others and some groups will have weapons with better stats.

Pachimari

I'm at the "Operation Archon (Trial)" now and holy shit did the story pick up. The reveal didn't surprise though, as I accidentally read it in a step-by-step guide for the fight prior to it, but it was great nonetheless. I'm loving this. I'll finish all of the lvl 49 MSQs today. And then see if I can find anyone to party up with for the 2 last dungeons with all the cutscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom