• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Why can't people pad numbers with a higher tier weapon, isn't it the same non sense if everyone is on a level playing field?

That's basically why I went with "if they have to do i280, just make it easily accessible to everyone." And I'd probably tack on give it some kind of actual secondary stat budget. The layers of RNG here are going to make it extremely difficult for any two players or groups to get back on a level playing field at this point. All eight people need to get RNG to assign them a weapon, then they need RNG to make it a weapon for their actual job, and then hopefully it rolls a good over budget set of secondaries. Even with 0 secondaries it'll be an upgrade over 275, but if WAR A gets an axe with Crit/Det/Skillspeed and War B gets an axe with parry, they're still on uneven footing. And that has to happen per-group, and involves a massive timesink in content that may or may not be mindnumbingly boring to do (I'll find out tonight.) and isn't part of the traditional BiS gear up process. The closest we came to this before was the i210 stuff in Gordias, and Gordias was a clusterfuck of its own and not the fluff and padfest Creator has been.

And then on top of that, I think most of us were expecting Echo to hit in a month or so anyway, at which point it's all irrelevant. I suspect you'll see a decent number of people take their planned Echo hiatus earlier, and just live with the frozen FFLogs for Creator thusfar. Others will grind out weapons, some will try to see what they can manage in 275. It's not going to kill raiding, but it will have an impact.

Pachimari

Okay so I got a new answer from Support and they told me I can't redeem my Stormblood code until early access launch on June 16.

Anyway, can't wait to get home and finish the ARR story.

BLCKATK

I mean I won't walk around it, it's basically an endgame zone with FATEs. FATEs end up fixing a couple of the major problems which was lack of movement around the zone, and the distribution of gear. There are a few bonus things that are out there (Corrupted Crystals giving chests, Weather specific mobs, etc) and of course the 32 man Emergency Mission, as of now that's what it is.

This is what I expected, so I'm okay with it. Might even be happy with it. I'm looking forward to going in with my Free Company tonight.

Thorgal

to quote a raid leader from my FC :

fr people whinning about 280 weapons :

It is the end of the expansion cycle. Who cares ?. It would be different if this was in the middle of it, but at this point we are just gearing to make it easier to level in a few months. Soon as the expansion came out anyways tweedledum in the grass hut over there would have sold you an i300 weapon for 20k gil anyways. Who cares if you get a little boost early.
Can't say i disagree with him .

Eh I'll go in anyways this evening if my FC is doing Diadem. Just to try it out to see how it is. If it's as boring as OG Diadem, I'll just not go in again. Thinking about maybe finding a static that runs on the weekend instead.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Your raid leader is uninformed and probably isn't in the group affected by this change.
People defending this most vehemently are mediocre raiders who have gray to green performance and not even the entire tier closed. Every single time.
But hey, it doesn't affect him, so fuck whoever complains right?

I have to admit I don't care for logs. They never really mattered to me and when x person is blabbering about how x guy is pro it is just a stupid discussion. I do use logs to just take a look at things but you'd have no idea how many people pad dps and hps that fflogs is pretty irrelevant to me unless they give us a true indication. So yeah, I never got why people preach the logs as gospel. Oh my god you did x less dps than me, lol you're bad. If you can't solo heal faust and get 1k dps you're bad, etc etc. Faust is a shitty sub boss.... why the fuck would I care how much dps I did as a healer to it? The logs community reminds me of WoW, honestly. This is my first mmo but really It all makes me sick. One of my friends the other day told me I'm a bad ASTRO cause I don't dps as much in my logs. This guy is a long time friend... not sure if he was just joking or indoctrinated by these stupid numbers that pretty much mean nothing.

Overall, this relic change still effects me though. I put in the hours to get my main and sub up to par with a 275 weapon and now I honestly feel like it was a wasted effort. To those of you saying that the relic was always going to be shite, you're right but right now it was too EARLY to invalidate it with another weapon. Part of the reason I'm upset is because I spent heaps of crystal sand on my astro relic this week trying to find a balance for my weapon.... and now I wasted my lore. GG, I guess.

to quote a raid leader from my FC :

Can't say i disagree with him .
BIS weapons are used for speedrunning aka the only thing endgame riders with 8 A12 clears have to do. i280 weapons throws a wrench in that, many speedrun friends of mine are just going to let their sub lapse until SB now because fair log rankings are done. If you were interested in a finished Anima good luck finding Light parties as well.

It's not the end of the world but it affects current content so dismissing complaints with lolstormblood is pretty annoying, even if I'm not particularly affected by this I can see where people are coming from and I'd feel the same in their shoes. People want reasons to keep playing, not reasons to ditch the game until the next piece of meaningful content.

Sylas

I have to admit I don't care for logs. They never really mattered to me and when x person is blabbering about how x guy is pro it is just a stupid discussion. I do use logs to just take a look at things but you'd have no idea how many people pad dps and hps that fflogs is pretty irrelevant to me unless they give us a true indication. So yeah, I never got why people preach the logs as gospel. Oh my god you did x less dps than me, lol you're bad. If you can't solo heal faust and get 1k dps you're bad, etc etc. Faust is a shitty sub boss.... why the fuck would I care how much dps I did as a healer to it? The logs community reminds me of WoW, honestly. This is my first mmo but really It all makes me sick. One of my friends the other day told me I'm a bad ASTRO cause I don't dps as much in my logs. This guy is a long time friend... not sure if he was just joking or indoctrinated by these stupid numbers that pretty much mean nothing.

Overall, this relic change still effects me though. I put in the hours to get my main and sub up to par with a 275 weapon and now I honestly feel like it was a wasted effort. To those of you saying that the relic was always going to be shite, you're right but right now it was too EARLY to invalidate it with another weapon. Part of the reason I'm upset is because I spent heaps of crystal sand on my astro relic this week trying to find a balance for my weapon.... and now I wasted my lore. GG, I guess.
I mean... do you like how the weapon looks? Every MMO winds up being about the glamour at the end of the day. I get the complaints but it really does seem like they're mostly coming from an incredibly small portion of the community? If they BiS weapon is obtained through RNG for the entirety of SB there's definitely a problem though.

iammeiam

People raid for different reasons. Some people want loot, some people want to see fights, some people want to hang out with their friends. Some people want to excel at their jobs, and it's the last group that cares about logs because said logs are a measure of performance. If you don't care about logs, and the people you raid with don't care about logs, fantastic! You're all on the same page and can proceed to not care about fflogs forever.

They provide a range for people--you can tell if you're performing towards the high or low end of your job, look for things other people are doing that you aren't, etc. Healer DPS is a thing when it comes to optimizing performance; not doing DPS on Faust doesn't make you a bad healer, but it does mean you're getting less out of your job than an AST who is pushing for higher numbers. It's not a moral judgment--as long as you and the people you raid with are fine with it, you're covering the actually important bits, it's just that you're not pushing your job to its limits and that will have an impact on the group as a whole if the care. Faust is a pretty straightforward example of how the DPS your healers provide will have a pretty big impact on kill time and the performance of your group as a whole. Logs at this point are also basically a functional resume for groups looking for a temporary or permanent replacement member--a group that wants both healers to DPS will want to see how comfortable you are with DPSing, for example, because if you're not comfortable DPSing it's not a great fit for the group.

Basically once you've killed the thing and gotten your gear, the only sense of progression you can really get is personal improvement in fights you know. I don't expect to ever be the upper-echelon for my job, but I do expect a general upward trend in my own performance over time because if I'm not going to get better why even bother showing up? I do raid with a couple of people who are very in to their own personal damage, and it can be fun to do fluff runs for them and see if we can break them into the upper ranks worldwide. It's exciting to realize we've made a strategy change that's shaved time off the fight because we figured out how to do a thing we'd been doing better than we had before, etc.

As with basically everything in this game, it's really only an issue when somebody decides to be a jerk about it.

Qvoth

hunting hawk price dropped from 15 million to 500k in tonberry hahaha
anyway just tried new diadem, i thought it was pretty fun, the emergency mission is pretty chaotic lol
my best loot so far
ir9h84q.png
as comparison, brd a12s body is acc129 sksp90
TadkV.gif

i think the loss in dexterity and vitality is worth it? any brd main can tell?

anyway just tried new diadem, i thought it was pretty fun, the emergency mission is pretty chaotic lol
my best loot so far
TadkV.gif

Worth in comparison with Alex body, not worth in comparison with Shire body which is considered BIS I feel.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
my best loot so far
TadkV.gif

I'm not sure if it's worth, but you can maybe play around with that accuracy gain because BRD gear felt kind of starved on the stat.

People raid for different reasons. Some people want loot, some people want to see fights, some people want to hang out with their friends. Some people want to excel at their jobs, and it's the last group that cares about logs because said logs are a measure of performance. If you don't care about logs, and the people you raid with don't care about logs, fantastic! You're all on the same page and can proceed to not care about fflogs forever.

They provide a range for people--you can tell if you're performing towards the high or low end of your job, look for things other people are doing that you aren't, etc. Healer DPS is a thing when it comes to optimizing performance; not doing DPS on Faust doesn't make you a bad healer, but it does mean you're getting less out of your job than an AST who is pushing for higher numbers. It's not a moral judgment--as long as you and the people you raid with are fine with it, you're covering the actually important bits, it's just that you're not pushing your job to its limits and that will have an impact on the group as a whole if the care. Faust is a pretty straightforward example of how the DPS your healers provide will have a pretty big impact on kill time and the performance of your group as a whole. Logs at this point are also basically a functional resume for groups looking for a temporary or permanent replacement member--a group that wants both healers to DPS will want to see how comfortable you are with DPSing, for example, because if you're not comfortable DPSing it's not a great fit for the group.

Basically once you've killed the thing and gotten your gear, the only sense of progression you can really get is personal improvement in fights you know. I don't expect to ever be the upper-echelon for my job, but I do expect a general upward trend in my own performance over time because if I'm not going to get better why even bother showing up? I do raid with a couple of people who are very in to their own personal damage, and it can be fun to do fluff runs for them and see if we can break them into the upper ranks worldwide. It's exciting to realize we've made a strategy change that's shaved time off the fight because we figured out how to do a thing we'd been doing better than we had before, etc.

As with basically everything in this game, it's really only an issue when somebody decides to be a jerk about it.

This is a good analysis without blasting, thanks. You see the main problem in me dpsing faust was that my former group would always want me to prioritize healing. I don't doubt I can pull those numbers on faust and solo heal it but I didn't do that much cause my group would always yell for me to "main heal". I'm not a believer in a main healer and off healer. I think both should dps AND heal because otherwise you just put your job abilities down. This is my opinion and anyone is free to disagree with me. Now that i'm without a static, I do weekly clears alone and shite like that and dps at my own leisure. Because my group held me down to dps much is why I didn't care about dpsing the savage fights much. If HOWEVER you are in a group with top dps and tanks that know how to use CDS well and shite like that I'm much more likely to dps and heal at an equal rate. Bottom line is I wasn't in a group that let me do that and my healer did blame me a lot for death in a11s sometimes cause I chose to dps a lot. My friend is entirely wrong to judge me on dpsing faust. It doesn't mean I can't dps faust... I was just NOT doing it cause my group was obsessed about the OH only dpsing and me keeping the MT and everyone alive.

All in all though... your analysis is admirable. Thanks for not being an elitist about it too. I do agree once these fights are cleared we should be doing things to push our jobs but don't call someone out just cause they couldn't solo heal and 1k dps faust. That's just dumb.

Thorgal

Your raid leader is uninformed and probably isn't in the group affected by this change.
People defending this most vehemently are mediocre raiders who have gray to green performance and not even the entire tier closed. Every single time.
But hey, it doesn't affect him, so fuck whoever complains right?

His group beat A12S 2 weeks after launch and has had that fight on farm for months now so yes his group is affected by this change .
they seriously don't give a shit about this weapon .

and again what does it matter ? all gear now pre expansion is pure glamour .
this weapon will be useless and thrown in the trash in about a 100 days .
if you raid and have the savage weapon and have Creator on farm for months this weapon is not going to change much except shaving another few seconds of the fight nor will it be usefull in 4.0 Raiding in anyway .
and that is even Assuming your weapon has all the good stats on it .

Sure it is a nice thing to have if RNGesus grants you perfect stats but in the big picture it is utterly useless .

iammeiam

All in all though... your analysis is admirable. Thanks for not being an elitist about it too. I do agree once these fights are cleared we should be doing things to push our jobs but don't call someone out just cause they couldn't solo heal and 1k dps faust. That's just dumb.

Fair enough, and thanks I try. FFLogs is a thorny discussion in general, but there's nothing inherently wrong with either side. Group dynamics will differ and lead to different results for everyone; if you feel your parses aren't representative, at least you'll know to be prepared for the question if you try to find a group more interested in the even healing approach. Or run a few PUGs to experiment with DPSing on Faust or something (the other nice thing about FfLogs' level of detail is people can see any wxtenuating circumstances like a tank allergic to cooldowns, etc.

if you raid and have the savage weapon and have Creator on farm for months this weapon is not going to change much except shaving another few seconds of the fight nor will it be usefull in 4.0 Raiding in anyway .

Sure it is a nice thing to have if RNGesus grants you perfect stats but in the big picture it is utterly useless .

I don't think you understand the improvements these weapons offer--even if you roll garbage RNG and get no bonus stats at all, the weapon damage will trump it for most. The potential DPS gain from the swap is huge. If you're just in dedicated loot phase mode you don't care, but there is a subset of the raiding community that was actively trying to compete for speed kills (or in a more midcore group like mine lift strats and adapt to see how much we could improve without expecting to top server rankings), and these weapons remove the possibility for an "equal" competition. It's not the end of the world, but there is an impact for a section of the community and it's odd to see repeated insistence that there isn't.

Yes, in three months they'll be trash. That's three months away, and for now there are people having discussions about "what now" and debating early hiatuses.

I do want to know what happens to A11S if Delete Monk gets their hands on a full set of 280 weapons. What else can they skip

aceface

His group beat A12S 2 weeks after launch and has had that fight on farm for months now so yes his group is affected by this change .
they seriously don't give a shit about this weapon .

It's been explained about 4 times now. What some players who cleared Savage awhile ago do for fun now is try to get the highest dps numbers possible. There's a worldwide leader board called FFlogs and it's fun to try to aim for the top. But with these new weapons being so based on rng (whether you get them in the first place and then what the stats are) those who hit the lottery are going to have a marked advantage in dps, making those rankings meaningless. It's taking away a big source of enjoyment a section of people get from this game.

Crosseyes

Banned
It's been explained about 4 times now. What some players who cleared Savage awhile ago do for fun now is try to get the highest dps numbers possible. There's a worldwide leader board called FFlogs and it's fun to try to aim for the top. But with these new weapons being so based on rng (whether you get them in the first place and then what the stats are) those who hit the lottery are going to have a marked advantage in dps, making those rankings meaningless. It's taking away a big source of enjoyment a section of people get from this game.
I haven't stepped foot in savage after Gordias drove me out of raiding for me this expac but focusing on how content effects that 1% of the 1% playerbase again seems like the fast track to the same type of mistakes that come with catering content with them first in mind again.

I'm pleasantly surprised there could actually be a few fun little upgrades for everyone from running Diadem when we're this close to the next expac. Big question is if it's actually fun to run this time around so we'll have to see how things shake out with that aspect of it.

scy

It's not the end of the world but it affects current content so dismissing complaints with lolstormblood is pretty annoying, even if I'm not particularly affected by this I can see where people are coming from and I'd feel the same in their shoes. People want reasons to keep playing, not reasons to ditch the game until the next piece of meaningful content.

I feel like a part of the problem is all the voices of both sides getting mixed up and hyperbole shouted back and forth. There's little to do with some sanctity of raid loot. It's not about what this means about gearing going into Stormsblood. It's entirely just about this one aspect of the game isn't really viable anymore due to an unexpected reason and that's unfortunate.

At this point, it's get some i280 weapons and see the comical results that occur but no real feedback from them.

I wonder how fast people can kill Refurbisher with these lol

Time to kill Refurbisher before first adds.

I haven't stepped foot in savage after Gordias drove me out of raiding for me this expac but focusing on how content effects that 1% of the 1% playerbase again seems like the fast track to the same type of mistakes that come with catering content with them first in mind again.

I'm pleasantly surprised there could actually be a few fun little upgrades for everyone from running Diadem when we're this close to the next expac. Big question is if it's actually fun to run this time around so we'll have to see how things shake out with that aspect of it.
Why do people keep throwing this 1% of the 1% stuff around? More than 5% - should be way more now - of the active playerbase cleared A12S, why do people keep trying to make it sound like they're irrelevant? Most of the playerbase won't give a shit about Diadem either, should we downplay that as well?

This is why these discussions always go to shit.

Qvoth

ok seems like there's only 1 type of emergency mission, which is kinda lame
seems like once you've done that and done all your missions there's no point to stay on diadem anymore, better to leave quickly and wait for the 30 minutes downtime
wtzgU.gif

The speedrunning aspect does kind of suck, but I think it was never going to be expectable anyway. Wasn't Final Coil nerfed/unlocked in 2.55?

Whining about weapons aside, I haven't gone in yet, so I guess the real question we should be asking is, how much of an improvement is it over the original Diadem? They supposedly spent a lot of resources into it.

Wilsongt

Morning XIV-Gaf, hows it goi-
Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif

Pretty much. Any game mechanic or content that gives people who don't run savage a nice upgrade is automatically shit design.

Or, as stated above, "i worked hard for this relic, why the hell are they making a higher level weapon so easy to get for casuals. Aaaaaaaargh"

Pretty much. Any game mechanic or content that gives people who don't run savage a nice upgrade is automatically shit design.

Or, as stated above, "i worked hard for this relic, why the hell are they making a higher level weapon so easy to get for casuals. Aaaaaaaargh"
We wouldn't be having this discussion if the weapons weren't in a ilvl tier of their own. It's not about casual players getting easy upgrades, did you see people complaining about Proto Ultima giving out i270 accessories perchance?

You guys make this into personal attacks when they're not.

Wilsongt

We wouldn't be having this discussion if the weapons weren't in a ilvl tier of their own.

But you are always working with completely random secondary stats. Not everyone is going to get a completely broken weapon like the WHM cane that was posted. This discussion already happened with Diadem 1.0.

scy

Why do people keep throwing this 1% of the 1% stuff around? More than 5% - should be way more now - of the active playerbase cleared A12S, why do people keep trying to make it sound like they're irrelevant? Most of the playerbase won't give a shit about Diadem either, should we downplay that as well?

This is why these discussions always go to shit.

Because, realistically, it is a small grouping within those who do clear. We're talking about a handful, at best, of groups per server. If even that for some of the smaller servers. So I can sort of "get" being lumped into a category that can get ignored for things but that doesn't really make it suck any less when it happens.

The speedrunning aspect does kind of suck, but I think it was never going to be expectable anyway. Wasn't Final Coil was nerfed/unlocked in 2.55?

Yes but the patch numbering with dates isn't 1-to-1; date wise we'd have about a month or so before the expected unlock, nerfing (if any), and echo would have landed.

Whining about weapons aside, I haven't gone in yet, so I guess the real question we should be asking is, how much of an improvement is it over the original Diadem? They supposedly spent a lot of resources into it.

All accounts are it's basically the same but with more FATEs to complete. So if you wanted old Diadem but now with some traveling in it then you're set.

Not everything is about "think of the precious raiding ilvl"

But you are always working with completely random secondary stats. Not everyone is going to get a completely broken weapon like the WHM cane that was posted. This discussion already happened with Diadem 1.0.

Except the big difference here is a naked stat stick i280 is comparable, if not outright better, than some. It's not about landing the perfect tri/quad/quintfecta of stats. Hitting anything is still a thing.

iammeiam

I feel like my post history over the past eight billion years would prove out that I am *heavily* pro iLevel catch-up mechanics. The deviation here isn't muh i275, it's why do we even have i280 when i275 would already have been a substantial upgrade for the group that doesn't raid? Literally why 280 short of trying to snag raiders into Diadem.

The speedrunning aspect does kind of suck, but I think it was never going to be expectable anyway. Wasn't Final Coil was nerfed/unlocked in 2.55?

I think everyone knew the end would be in a month or so--3.56 is positioned to be the 2.55 of Heavensward--but the timing here is just super unfortunate. Had they removed lockout early and added echo you'd get a lot of "uh... okay...", but as it is they've created this weird situation where the content isn't invalidated yet, but doesn't necessarily have a long enough shelf life to justify Diadem grinding. The timing is just weird, and groups will probably shift a bit depending on who wants the 280 dream and who doesn't.

Diadem 1.0 did not have weapons. Secondary stats are irrelevant in face of enough more WD and main stats because unless you get an absolute shite stat roll like 300 points in skillspeed and parry it'll very likely still be better.

If the MNK fists for example has at the very least 60 crit they'll be straight up better than any other weapon in the game.

Since now everyone is grinding these silly i280 weapons that should have never happened in the 1st place I will likely have absolutely no luck finding a new static unless I have those weapons myself. Pretty much RIP my chances. I'm going to have so much fun with a12s trap parties this week again.

studyguy

DOUG DIADEM, HOME OF THE DIADEM DIGGADOMES
doug_dimmadone_owner_of_the_dimmsdale_dimmadone.jpg

I heard there were i280s in them hills, time to say fuck you alexander, hello bad RNG and shit pugs!

studyguy

I don't care if raiders are mad that their drops are irrelevant, my raid drops are irrelevant, my relic was just completed and it's irrelevant. RNG is the true endgame here, RNG and suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom