• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

I feel this is where desire for game design meets the harsh reality of MMO needs. The reality is that what you want can probably easily be designed by the team, but it would result in dungeons which most people won't want to run multiple times. This will mean that for new players as time goes by, it gets increasingly harder to queue for dungeons at all. Since they are basically going to be -done- after each player 100% clears it. MMO players who form the bread and butter of queues want straightforward stuff they can quickly power through daily to grind materials. That's just how it is.

Yeah I understand. Most MMO players aren't very open to changing that frame of mind either, so attempts to focus more on actual fun content vs. carrot-on-a-stick grinds will be met with fierce resistance. I can dream though.

scy

That sounds like an interesting way to provide more variety and player choice in running existing content, though as you say there will always be players who will calculate The One Fastest Way to get what they want.

Since the keystone (needed to use the system) is random every time you get one, it was mostly a case of sometimes you get a dungeon nobody really wants to run which makes it harder to pug for and/or all your friends hate that you get Halls of Valor every time.

Well, as long as they're using the hardest Garuda fight.

The true Dark Souls etc. etc.

Yeah I understand. Most MMO players aren't very open to changing that frame of mind either, so attempts to focus more on actual fun content vs. carrot-on-a-stick grinds will be met with fierce resistance. I can dream though.

Don't get me wrong, I like things that are for fun. What it ends up being is you'll find what's fun for someone isn't fun for someone else while typically reward-oriented design has a broader appeal. In general, I'm a pretty big fan of don't design content for everyone but make sure everyone has content for them due to this; as long as everyone has that something that satisfies them, then I think that's better than hoping everyone likes everything enough. So what you describe as an offshoot to Aquapolis, Palace of the Dead, etc. seems like a perfectly reasonable thing that just adds "more to do" to the game.

Honestly, with the way more and more sources of tomes are added at this point, I really do hope for an eventual shift in designing the capped tomestone as more just a limit per week that you'll eventually hit since you're too busy having fun with literally every other thing possible in the game. That is, stop treating a capped tomestone as a reward and more just a fact of life.

WolvenOne

It's not like you have to keep up on the tome grind, unless you're determined to get all the scripture gear as quickly as possible. At least, I don't make an effort to do so.

I'm not super dedicated to capping. Mostly I want to be ilvl 270 in time for the expansion, so I don't have to do a ton of gearing near the start of Stormblood's main scenario. But, seeing as Twine's are likely to be a bigger barrier to 270 gear than Tomes, I'm probably gonna ease up on the Tome grind starting next week.

Went ahead and bought a month for this game. as I hasn't played since my free month when i got it via humble bundle.

Man, i've so forgotten how to play this game. Still, fun leveling my arcanist 18 /conjuror 18 up a bit. Such a radically different game then Gw2.

Squishy3

Finished 2.1 content and it pretty much ALL sucked except for the plot stinger at the end. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. But at least Vesper Bay is HISTORY. GOOD RIDDANCE!
Yeah... about that.

ChYVt7jUcAAXI7W.jpg

Honestly, with the way more and more sources of tomes are added at this point, I really do hope for an eventual shift in designing the capped tomestone as more just a limit per week that you'll eventually hit since you're too busy having fun with literally every other thing possible in the game. That is, stop treating a capped tomestone as a reward and more just a fact of life.

I think this is the way to go too.

I hear people complain about how they're not going to like if Stormblood is just dungeons and trials again and I think I really understand that complaint now.

Diadem/PotD/Aquapolis are nice alternatives and I hope they expand on these sorts of activities.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we got less dungeons but more of these other things instead. The way to go isn't just padding the dungeon list with as many dungeons as possible. I'm actually okay with dungeons the way they are now if we get more things to do.

Like a coliseum somewhere in Ala Mhigo. It would be like Aquapolis except you choose which difficulty you want and you get different bosses with surprise bosses making an appearance every now and then.

Aquapolis has this already with stuff like Argres and the goblin guy who appears at random but this would be a harder battle oriented version of it accessed from a particular location like the Diadem.

Lanrutcon

Crazy idea:

They should redo Quarrymill. Half the goddamn server is there, they might as well spruce it up. If the village is getting that much traffic, surely it has expanded a bit by now? Add a retainer bell, inn, some goddamn tables and chairs.

iammeiam

Quarrymill learned the lessons of Wineport/Fallguard/Ceruleum Processing Plant: Adventurers are fickle as hell and as soon as they find new things to punch your boom town will be abandoned.

Stuart444

Was able to do all of Aquapolis today. It was fun, thanks to those that joined us <3

Aquapolis is honestly really fun, especially with the random events like the goblin and the aegis popping in. Its really fun content.

Quarrymill is packed because PotD is there. Just open PotD entrances all over Eorzea!

It'd be nice if we could queue for PotD straight from Duty Finder instead of having to warp to Quarrymill each time. Though on the other hand, it's nice to have another hub where a bunch of people hang out and do silly stuff.

duckroll

It'd be nice if we could queue for PotD straight from Duty Finder instead of having to warp to Quarrymill each time. Though on the other hand, it's nice to have another hub where a bunch of people hang out and do silly stuff.

This goes back once again to the consistency issue I've been talking about for days. Every component of the game has a slightly different interface or method of implementation. It's really stupid! PVP and Frontlines have actual locations too, but yet you can use the Duty Finder. PotD is the same thing, yet you have to go to Quarrymill. When you complete an active quest dungeon, you might or might not be returned to the quest spot after you complete it. Often not. When you complete an active quest trial you are almost always returned to the quest spot after, regardless of where you were when the duty popped.

SO MUCH INCONSISTENCY.

Luigi87

What Quarrymill has made me appreciate is the way ambient sound works when there are a lot of players in an area, that it creates background noise conversation.

Two questions:

I did only part of Dun Scaith this weekend. I got one piece of equipment, so the loot display read "1/3" in the duty finder. I finished the whole thing earlier today, and to my surprise, I could not get any other piece of loot except for the triple triad cards and the minion. So apparently I can only get one piece of equipment per week from the raid? So about the "1/3" in the duty finder, what are the remaining 2/3?

Second question: does Stormblood really have triple the budget that Heavensward had? Was that confirmed?

iammeiam

This goes back once again to the consistency issue I've been talking about for days. Every component of the game has a slightly different interface or method of implementation. It's really stupid! PVP and Frontlines have actual locations too, but yet you can use the Duty Finder. PotD is the same thing, yet you have to go to Quarrymill. When you complete an active quest dungeon, you might or might not be returned to the quest spot after you complete it. Often not. When you complete an active quest trial you are almost always returned to the quest spot after, regardless of where you were when the duty popped.

SO MUCH INCONSISTENCY.

PotD's save system is probably the technical incompatibility that makes it not work with DF or Raid Finder. Those just use eligibility flags and character requirements (level, iLevel), PotD has specific save data for your run--your job, your PotD level, what floor you're on, party makeup or matched party, etc. Everyone in the group needs a matching save to go, so on. it's taking the "one reason to leave cities/housing districts" the raid locations filled before that got offloaded to Raid Finder (rip Alexander Waiting Room, dead too soon.)

PotD as it is now wouldn't fit in the two queue systems we have; hopefully Stormblood and the next Deep Dungeon see a Deep Dungeon Finder added.

Two questions:

I did only part of Dun Scaith this weekend. I got one piece of equipment, so the loot display read "1/3" in the duty finder. I finished the whole thing earlier today, and to my surprise, I could not get any other piece of loot except for the triple triad cards and the minion. So apparently I can only get one piece of equipment per week from the raid? So about the "1/3" in the duty finder, what are the remaining 2/3?
Weekly Mhach Shilling
Weekly Mhach Matter

rubius01

Two questions:

Second question: does Stormblood really have triple the budget that Heavensward had? Was that confirmed?

You get the mhachi penny and the mhachi matter when you clear it

Quarrymill being super active just harkens back to ye old days when FATE parties hung out there for ages to get through the 24-30 something slog.

duckroll

Beat all the MSQs in ARR. Just need to level myself up to lvl 50 in the PotD so I can take on the 2 final dungeons!

Wait, you got to the end without hitting lvl50? Did you skip a bunch of stuff? Do you completely ignore FATES and daily roulette stuff? Just curious. Since I don't really feel I did much grinding at all, but by the time I got to the final two dungeons I was almost lvl51 (hit 51 during the final dungeon actually).

Pachimari

Wait, you got to the end without hitting lvl50? Did you skip a bunch of stuff? Do you completely ignore FATES and daily roulette stuff? Just curious. Since I don't really feel I did much grinding at all, but by the time I got to the final two dungeons I was almost lvl51 (hit 51 during the final dungeon actually).

I started doing MSQs straight with no side quests as that was just a chore, and have since done potd and hunting logs to level up as recommended in here months ago. FATEs are completely obsolete for exp farming now, but I did do those in the start.
I just need 200k exp.

aceface

Two questions:

The other 2/3 are the Mhachi Matter and Mhachi Shilling which should have automatically dropped into your inventory when you completed the raid the second time. And yes, you can only get one piece of equipment from Dun Scaith per week, and you can only get one Mhachi Matter and one Mhachi Shilling.

Edit: Wow, everyone answered this question already. Well, for the Stormblood thing, it was supposedly confirmed to have triple the budget at an SE shareholders meeting where the financial report listed the budget for it as $35million. Heavensward had a budget of $13 million.

Pachimari

Now I just need to do 10 more floors in PotD and I'll be lvl 50. But I better head to bed now, and then I can do the 2 dungeons tomorrow. And after that I'll unlock all the side items and dungeons, before going ahead with the 2.x post-content.

duckroll

Edit: Wow, everyone answered this question already. Well, for the Stormblood thing, it was supposedly confirmed to have triple the budget at an SE shareholders meeting where the financial report listed the budget for it as $35million. Heavensward had a budget of $13 million.

Errrrrr what? They actually list budgets for specific games in financial reports? When did this start happening?

Luigi87

You'll want to make the jump to lvl49-50 sooner rather than later. The MSQ requirements jump from 46 to 49 at some point.

Oh dang. Well I certainly do roulette every day.
... I've barely touched my Rank 5 ARC hunts though, so I should get on that.
Plus I do want to hit 50 just so I can get the ilvl 90 gear, lol

Quarrymill learned the lessons of Wineport/Fallguard/Ceruleum Processing Plant: Adventurers are fickle as hell and as soon as they find new things to punch your boom town will be abandoned.

You built it, they came...and then they all left a few months later:
Revenant's Toll

Actually, everyone can't wait to get the hell out of there in 3 months:
Idyllshire

You get the mhachi penny and the mhachi matter when you clear it

The other 2/3 are the Mhachi Matter and Mhachi Shilling which should have automatically dropped into your inventory when you completed the raid the second time. And yes, you can only get one piece of equipment from Dun Scaith per week, and you can only get one Mhachi Matter and one Mhachi Shilling.

Thanks

I think I was level 48 when I got to the last two dungeons. I had never touched daily roulette (I still haven't, lol).

B.K.

I'm up to the final story dungeon. Now, i need to grind enough Tomestones to get some new equipment. I need 11 more ilevels to be able to do the last dungeon.

I just stopped playing for the night because the game just warned me that I was about to get a shitton of cutscenes. Can't wait to see them! I'm almost done with the MSQ!

DarkKyo

I'm up to the final story dungeon. Now, i need to grind enough Tomestones to get some new equipment. I need 11 more ilevels to be able to do the last dungeon.

Do some PvP. The Garo gear is above the ilevel needed for that final dungeon, and it's pretty cheap in terms of how much PvP you have to do.

I don't know if I want to do PvP. I've never done it. I don't even know what to do in it.

Just run around following other people and attack people marked as the enemy. Don't stray too far from the pack and try to hit enemies which are being attacked by the rest of your team.

For Diadem or whatever version of it they create in the future (if they decide to iterate on the idea further) they need to provide some more incentives to stay past the main missions. Have some FATE chains that end with hard bosses. Multiple EMs, that kind of thing.

Also more interesting terrain/environments.

kagamin

Dammit all, I jumped into PF like 4 hours ago when I got back from class and worked of Zurvan EX with that group the whole time, we made it all the way to 15% too. ;-;

Also, as far as PVP goes, I'm only doing it for the mount (got my Frontline mount already), I'm gonna start doing the feast casually up until Stormblood to try and acquire wins.

So I left basically back in the portion of the endgame without doing the legendary weapon quest and think I had been doing Titan or Garuda Hard at the time.
Am I screwed if I came back and tried progressing?

Qvoth

So I left basically back in the portion of the endgame without doing the legendary weapon quest and think I had been doing Titan or Garuda Hard at the time.
Am I screwed if I came back and tried progressing?

the legendary weapon at that point in time is irrelevant now
titan/garuda hard is 2.0 content so you're not screwed but it'll take you a lot of time to catch up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom