• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

What is it with the recent trend in party finder saying "Bring the deeps" or "high dps only please"

Seems to be the "thing" to say recently in PFs. I've even seen some people say it for Bis/Ravana EX (aka the easiest EX's now)

Hell, when I see a dps say it (though other jobs say it as well when they make a PF), I just think to myself "Is it because your deeps is bad?" which may or may not be true, idk but it's a weird thing I've seen in PF descriptions recently

the meme started during zurvan ex

Kinan

So, playing the trial on the PS4 and enjoying the game overall. It is a soothing experience, quite old school with clear group roles definitions and the need to play those good. Loved the house of novice training, excellent idea, wish other mmos did it similarly. Enjoy small 4 players dungeons, though waiting times for dps at low lvls can be up to 30 min or so. Considering buying it after I hit lvl35, if only to see the story to the end.

One thing that bothering me though on PS4 is targeting. Any tricks how to target efficiently in this game? Any button to take target of your tank, for example? Or target only enemies and not your group mates? Or are you all using KB+M on PS4?

On dualshock hold down L2 or R2, and then press L1 or R1 to cycle through the enemies on screen from left to right or vice versa

Alternatively, you can hold down L1 and then press Up or Down on the D-Pad to cycle through enemies on your enmity list.

Kinan

On dualshock hold down L2 or R2, and then press L1 or R1 to cycle through the enemies on screen from left to right or vice versa

Alternatively, you can hold down L1 and then press Up or Down on the D-Pad to cycle through enemies on your enmity list.

aha, thanks! This will help a lot. :)

ebil

What is it with the recent trend in party finder saying "Bring the deeps" or "high dps only please"

Seems to be the "thing" to say recently in PFs. I've even seen some people say it for Bis/Ravana EX (aka the easiest EX's now)

Hell, when I see a dps say it (though other jobs say it as well when they make a PF), I just think to myself "Is it because your deeps is bad?" which may or may not be true, idk but it's a weird thing I've seen in PF descriptions recently
It's like, every single PF on Chaos, ever.

"No bonus/noobs high DPS" feels so cliché over here that I don't think anyone ever takes it seriously (they can't read a PF entry anyway).

i have a feeling matsuno is probably just doing the writing of the ivalice storyline and maybe design of the bosses
the fight itself will be designed by the battle content designers as per usual
Matsuno is not just a director and writer, he's a game designer. He once challenged Yoshida with a complete BLM redesign and did a panel on it during the first JP Fanfest IIRC. He's very passionate about this game. I don't think he'll be anything but hands on with raid design.

Last night I decided to nut up and try one of the EX primals that was put off. Wasn't feeling up to playing Destiny (or the Atheon challenge... shudder)

Nidhogg EX. First time I tried it was when it was fresh, and couldn't beat fang/claw since our DPS wasn't high enough. Also kept dying to divebombs which I thought were random.

Last night, mastered divebombs in the first phase, always had high dps during add phase.

Fang and Claw went much better, but people were struggling like I did. Sometimes when I was red-chained I'd run to grab an orb only for the chain to turn blue right as I touched it (or maybe I didn't pay attention?)

Towers are easy, just call out a spot (or tank/healers take north while DPS go south corners).

Last phase was interesting, I kept forgetting he starts out with a random divebomb which I would die to because I couldn't find where he was fast enough, but eventually that pattern was easy to read once remembered. What kept wiping us was that people weren't stacking the black whirlpools properly or the healer couldn't keep up with the Ahk Morns. Placement is crazy crucial in this fight where you have to forego positionals and stay stacked or scattered when the mechanic calls for it.

Ahk Morn - stay stacked until black whirlpools - move to center of arena during hot wing - scatter to the corners for the icon move (and to avoid the center fireball blasts) - move back and stack for Ahk Morn. Lowest I've seen him down was 6% but the second part of that last phase is when it all falls apart.

Still, I'm confident in beating it now.

There is an interesting theory floating around that
since we still don't know what destroyed the Isle of val and we now have Shinryu and omega who both disappeared in the dimensional rift.

Since all of these come from FF5 it isn't impossible that the final boss of 4.0 raid is neither omega or Shinryu but Exdeath.

That seems to make sense... but honestly I hope not cause
Exdeath
was a pretty lame villain D:

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
How many other villains
could turn into a tree? None of them. They're all failures except my good mate, Tree Emperor Turtle Fighter.

As a random aside, I just saw the front page of the FFXIV reddit I want to apologise to anyone I've made fun of here or on ~the official forums~ before for whatever reason. I didn't know how bad it could be, I'm sorry.

Bowlie

Banned
I don't have them on either, I'd rather listen to the regional music; only turned it back once to listen to the ponies' songs.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I totally forgot mounts had music. I think I turned that off immediately when I got my Chocobo.

Hmm, interesting. I was thinking about this last night, "wouldn't it be nice to not hear chocobo music"

Hmmm...

I'll be finishing up my free trial in the next 1-2 weeks and then will be starting with a 30 day subscription (and likely continuing after that). Would anyone be interested in the Recruit A Friend bonuses?

Last night I decided to nut up and try one of the EX primals that was put off. Wasn't feeling up to playing Destiny (or the Atheon challenge... shudder)

Nidhogg EX. First time I tried it was when it was fresh, and couldn't beat fang/claw since our DPS wasn't high enough. Also kept dying to divebombs which I thought were random.

Last night, mastered divebombs in the first phase, always had high dps during add phase.

Fang and Claw went much better, but people were struggling like I did. Sometimes when I was red-chained I'd run to grab an orb only for the chain to turn blue right as I touched it (or maybe I didn't pay attention?)

Towers are easy, just call out a spot (or tank/healers take north while DPS go south corners).

Last phase was interesting, I kept forgetting he starts out with a random divebomb which I would die to because I couldn't find where he was fast enough, but eventually that pattern was easy to read once remembered. What kept wiping us was that people weren't stacking the black whirlpools properly or the healer couldn't keep up with the Ahk Morns. Placement is crazy crucial in this fight where you have to forego positionals and stay stacked or scattered when the mechanic calls for it.

Ahk Morn - stay stacked until black whirlpools - move to center of arena during hot wing - scatter to the corners for the icon move (and to avoid the center fireball blasts) - move back and stack for Ahk Morn. Lowest I've seen him down was 6% but the second part of that last phase is when it all falls apart.

Still, I'm confident in beating it now.

Easy tip for cauterize: look for his shadow on the ground as hes flying to get an idea of where he will land on the outside.

Also, never look at the chains to see what color you are during the fangs. With everyone so jumbled up its easy to make mistakes. Just check what color debuff you have instead. Red = red chain and blue = blue chain obviously.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Howdy GAF, I'm another new player, thanks to the revamped free trial. I've never played any MMO before, never really cared to if I'm being honest, but I've always wanted to try this one simply because I'm such a huge fan of the FF series.

So despite knowing nothing about the game really or how MMO's even work, I have to say that so far I'm really liking XIV and think I'll go ahead and purchase the full game. Before that though, I just wanted to ask what should I do, if anything, before I end my free trial and begin playing for "real"?

If I understand correctly, once I purchase and activate the full game, my free trial will end and my free 30 days will begin. Before that though, I'd like to take advantage of my trial time. As I said, I have no idea what I'm doing in the game; I'm just running around and talking to people with exclamation points over their head. Obviously I have a ton of newbie questions but I'll try not to clog up the thread with those for now but is there anything I should try to complete before I buy?

Edzi

Howdy GAF, I'm another new player, thanks to the revamped free trial. I've never played any MMO before, never really cared to if I'm being honest, but I've always wanted to try this one simply because I'm such a huge fan of the FF series.

So despite knowing nothing about the game really or how MMO's even work, I have to say that so far I'm really liking XIV and think I'll go ahead and purchase the full game. Before that though, I just wanted to ask what should I do, if anything, before I end my free trial and begin playing for "real"?

If I understand correctly, once I purchase and activate the full game, my free trial will end and my free 30 days will begin. Before that though, I'd like to take advantage of my trial time. As I said, I have no idea what I'm doing in the game; I'm just running around and talking to people with exclamation points over their head. Obviously I have a ton of newbie questions but I'll try not to clog up the thread with those for now but is there anything I should try to complete before I buy?

Just focusing on the main story quest should be enough for a while (those are the quests with the fiery looking quest icon).

Once you buy the full game, you can join the GAF free company if you're on the Ultros server, which will be the easiest way to get help and advice in game.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Just focusing on the main story quest should be enough for a while (those are the quests with the fiery looking quest icon).

Once you buy the full game, you can join the GAF free company if you're on the Ultros server, which will be the easiest way to get help and advice in game.
Oh excellent, thank you! I was wondering how you could tell which quests were part of the main story or not. I think one of the tooltip popups explained the differences but I couldn't remember what they were and I can't figure out how to go back and read old tips.

Unfortunately I'm on the Behemoth server. Can I change that for free when I buy the full game or will I still have to pay the fee?

PM aceface, I think he still needs a couple of people for his dragon mount.

http://m.neogaf.com/member.php?u=6060

Thank you! Will do :)

My suggestion, as someone that just reached the first dungeon, is to understand what your role will be in a group.

I am also completely new to MMOs and truthfully had no idea what in the world terms like tank, healer, DPS, enmity, rotation, etc. meant. It sounds so complicated at first but knowing what you will be expected to do in a group and how to successfully play your class will make it so much more satisfying. I'm certainly still learning, but I don't feel as anxious about playing the dungeons now.

My suggestion, as someone that just reached the first dungeon, is to understand what your role will be in a group.

I am also completely new to MMOs and truthfully had no idea what in the world terms like tank, healer, DPS, enmity, rotation, etc. meant. It sounds so complicated at first but knowing what you will be expected to do in a group and how to successfully play your class will make it so much more satisfying. I'm certainly still learning, but I don't feel as anxious about playing the dungeons now.

Just do the Hall of Novice. It teaches the basics and gives you free gear that will last you until level 25ish.

Hey guys, just joined back up and basically a beginner...I only remember a few bits and pieces but I'm starting from scratch playing with my wife. Any tips for a couple newcomers? Wife started as an Archer and me as a Lancer, if we're playing usually in groups of 2, one of us should become a healer later on right? We basically are playing because Destiny is dead and my wife loves co-op games, plus I read the story is actually pretty good in this game. I keep getting invites to a bunch of free companies so I figured GAF would certainly have something like that and would be cool to play with some locals, and maybe even some of my DestinyGAF or SFVGAF peeps...

PSN OmniCloud
PSN ElisJah

Inbachi

Neo Member

Great, will do! I've been reading and doing my research on the basics but yeah, half the time I have no idea what I'm reading means because I'm not familiar with the terms so I have to do some side research. It's pretty daunting because it seems like there's so much to do and learn but it's fun/entertaining so far.

I have to admit that when I very first loaded the game up, I wasn't too impressed. I made my character, then I'm on a ship that is the victim of a drive by shooting from another ship, then I'm dropped off into a city and talking to some former pirate guy? Uhhh...ok.

Lol don't judge a game by the first 10 minutes I guess? :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

I think they recently removed the trial time limit. Only the trial lv cap and social restrictions remain.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1355963&page=1

One thing you should do once you buy the game and start your 30 days is get a referral code from someone in this thread. You'll get a couple of items and the other person will get a mount after 5 referrals.

Oh excellent, thank you! I was wondering how you could tell which quests were part of the main story or not. I think one of the tooltip popups explained the differences but I couldn't remember what they were and I can't figure out how to go back and read old tips.

Unfortunately I'm on the Behemoth server. Can I change that for free when I buy the full game or will I still have to pay the fee?

You'll have to pay to transfer a character between servers or you can just start all over on the new server for free.

Hey guys, just joined back up and basically a beginner...I only remember a few bits and pieces but I'm starting from scratch playing with my wife. Any tips for a couple newcomers? Wife started as an Archer and me as a Lancer, if we're playing usually in groups of 2, one of us should become a healer later on right? We basically are playing because Destiny is dead and my wife loves co-op games, plus I read the story is actually pretty good in this game. I keep getting invites to a bunch of free companies so I figured GAF would certainly have something like that and would be cool to play with some locals, and maybe even some of my DestinyGAF or SFVGAF peeps...

PSN OmniCloud
PSN ElisJah
I'd say tank over healer just cause their queue times are much shorter. Archer will lead to Bard and Lancer to Dragoon though, both dps classes. At lv 10 or 15 though you can freely switch between all the classes though so you don't have to restart if one of you is eventually going support.

There's a couple of GAF fcs, the big NA one is on the Ultros server in the primal data center. See the op on instructions on how to join.

Edzi

Ok...guys should i be doing this Carpenter stuff now or is this for later in the game? What's the benefit?

As far as I can tell, the gathering and crafting jobs are just super super grindy ways of making money eventually. You don't need to touch them.

Killthee

Ok...guys should i be doing this Carpenter stuff now or is this for later in the game? What's the benefit?
Its completely up to you. I enjoy it, I know some people don't bother with it and just ignore that aspect of the game though.

Early on in the game/low lv crafting doesn't have big direct benefits and is mostly just something different to do when you need a break from combat quest. Higher lv crafting can be used to make gil, repair your own gear, and craft your own gear. It's a big gil and time sink to get to that point though cause you pretty much need to lv multiple crafting and gathering classes for high end crafting.

As far as I can tell, the gathering and crafting jobs are just super super grind ways of making money eventually. You don't need to touch them.

Its completely up to you. I enjoy it, I know some people don't bother with it and just ignore that aspect of the game though.

Early on in the game/low lv crafting doesn't have big direct benefits and is mostly just something different to do when you need a break from combat quest. Higher lv crafting can be used to make gil, repair your own gear, and craft your own gear. It's a big gil and time sink to get to that point though cause you pretty much need to lv multiple crafting and gathering classes for high end crafting.
awww man, ok...I thought I was going to be able to repair my stuff pretty early on...

I do like it, a nice change of pace, but not sure I want to keep it up when I can level up other classes.

I played for about a hour. Game is a lot of fun. Although, I cant send friend requests or give party invites to my cousins. So when exactly can we meet up? What is the quest that has to be completed where we can freely work together and do stuff? I know it won't be for a while

Killthee

I played for about a hour. Game is a lot of fun. Although, I cant send friend requests or give party invites to my cousins. So when exactly can we meet up? What is the quest that has to be completed where we can freely work together and do stuff? I know it won't be for a while
If you're on the trial I think your grouping options are restricted till you buy the full game, not 100% sure though.

As for the content, most of the overworld stuff can be completed solo while most instanced content is grouped content. If you started in the same city youll share most overworld starter quest and can hang with each other, if you started in separate cities you unlock access to the other 2 cities around lv 15. Instanced content begins around lv 10 with a guildhest (group content training mode, very short) while the first dungeon is around lv 15. The first few dungeons are a bit boring and simple, they ramp up around lv 30.

If you're on the trial I think your grouping options are restricted till you buy the full game, not 100% sure though.

As for the content, most of the overworld stuff can be completed solo while most instanced content is grouped content. If you started in the same city youll share most overworld starter quest and can hang with each other, if you started in separate cities you unlock access to the other 2 cities around lv 15. Instanced content begins around lv 10 with a guildhest (group content training mode, very short) while the first dungeon is around lv 15. The first few dungeons are a bit boring and simple, they ramp up around lv 30.
Tks for this...

last question (for tonight at least) Is it best to level up every class, at least a little bit or get to Level 50 of one class first? It seems like there is some synergy with getting certain skills and being able to use them on other classes.

Killthee

Tks for this...

last question (for tonight at least) Is it best to level up every class, at least a little bit or get to Level 50 of one class first? It seems like there is some synergy with getting certain skills and being able to use them on other classes.
You'll need to lv at least two classes for your job stone, more on that later. For now though focus on one class first and the main story quest. The main story quest will unlock content and any class that's lower than your highest lv'd class gets an exp bonus.

As for lving alt battle classes for their cross class skills (following does not apply to crafting classes), that's something that will be going away in June when Stormblood comes out so it's not something you have to burn yourself out with right now. And as it is right now, once you get your job stone you're limited to two other classes from which you can get cross class skills from so you don't have to lv everything for any one job.

Going back to what I initially said about lving two classes, when you reach lv 30 on your main class you have to lv a specific class to lv 15 to get your job stone. For black mage for example you need a lv 30 thaumaturge and a lv 15 archer to get the black mage job stone. You can wait to lv your second class till after your first one hits 30, just keep it in mind and lookup what class you'll need to lv for your job.

You'll need to lv at least two classes for your job stone, more on that later. For now though focus on one class first and the main story quest. The main story quest will unlock content and any class that's lower than your highest lv'd class gets an exp bonus.

As for lving alt battle classes for their cross class skills (following does not apply to crafting classes), that's something that will be going away in June when Stormblood comes out so it's not something you have to burn yourself out with right now. And as it is right now, once you get your job stone you're limited to two other classes from which you can get cross class skills from so you don't have to lv everything for any one job.

Going back to what I initially said about lving two classes, when you reach lv 30 on your main class you have to lv a specific class to lv 15 to get your job stone. For black mage for example you need a lv 30 thaumaturge and a lv 15 archer to get the black mage job stone. You can wait to lv your second class till after your first one hits 30, just keep it in mind and lookup what class you'll need to lv for your job.
Much appreciated kind sir...Can you change jobs once you decide on a stone?

I know I'm going to be more of an attacker but I think I would like a Dragoon and a Paladin somewhat equally...

Killthee

Much appreciated kind sir...Can you change jobs once you decide on a stone?

I know I'm going to be more of an attacker but I think I would like a Dragoon and a Paladin somewhat equally...
Yup, once you reach 10 or 15 you can freely switch between all classes. Only restriction between switching classes/jobs is you must be out of combat and not in an instanced zone.

Qvoth

totally forgot i still need 5 more gold feathers to get twintania mount, so here's my recruitment code if anybody's interested
T6W97DVG

Entering Your Recruitment Code
You will need to log into the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station to enter your recruitment code after completing registration. After logging in, proceed to Your Account, then select Enter Recruitment Code.
http://sqex.to/Msp

* If you wish to redeem a recruitment code, it must be entered before purchase of a subscription or game time card. Bonus items cannot be obtained if a subscription has been purchased prior to use of a recruitment code.
* Recruitment codes are valid for 120 days after they are generated.

Bonus Items
Please refer to the page below for more details on bonus items.
http://sqex.to/Cz9

Finally had my first bird dropped from Bismark. I felt bad, as when I told the party I'd stay for an hour and a half at the beginning but stuck it out a bit longer and saw at least one more bird drop but it was already late. It was a fairly good streak too. After like 4 dropped then the no-drop streak lasted for 35 mins then another dropped then more no-drops.

It does infuriate me that people join BisEX and RavEX and drop because of WT or they get their bird and bounce. I'm hoping to get Ravana done tomorrow or Friday.

Did a Seph EX learning party, got to last phase and finally got the hang of that fight but party pretty much disbanded and the leader afked. Good experience though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom