• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

So, Danny O'Dwyer was a Gamespot producer and is now working as Noclip, creating video game documentaries. He did videos about DOOM, The Witness, and some others.

With all that said, he went to Tokyo a while back and has been tweeting certain images about his next project:

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/850126442411171840

Let's expect a doc about FFXIV (most certainly) 1.0 soon!

Holy shit. I wonder if he got to interview Tanaka and the ex-FFXIV leads? How in depth are his docs usually?

Bowlie

Banned
From all that I have seen, it talks about how the developer(s) started liking games, or programming, or their area of expertise (he has talked with programmers, designers, audio engineers, marketing managers), how they entered the business, their previous works, their past mistakes...

until it comes to the main topic itself, where it's discussed the work environment, all the little ideas, how the project changed through time until the release date, and the reception and improvements after it.

I'll say it's pretty detailed; he filmed with Jonathan Blow for 4 hours and that ended up being a ~45 minute doc, the one with Psyonix (Rocket League devs) is ~2h30m long, the one about DOOM is over 3 hours long.

He will have filmed for 3 days so it may be one of the long ones!

duckroll

Well my Encyclopedia Eorzea is getting prepped for shipping. No going back now o_o

Damn. Tell me how good it is. I would love to buy more shit but in the last few months I've added A World of Ice and Fire, The Art of Shin Godzilla, the SaGa Scarlet Grace guide+artbook, East of West Year One, and East of West Year Two to my shelf. I think I'll wait for later this year before just ordering all the FFXIV books at once... ugh... this game...

Luigi87

Damn. Tell me how good it is. I would love to buy more shit but in the last few months I've added A World of Ice and Fire, The Art of Shin Godzilla, the SaGa Scarlet Grace guide+artbook, East of West Year One, and East of West Year Two to my shelf. I think I'll wait for later this year before just ordering all the FFXIV books at once... ugh... this game...

Will do! Just watching an unboxing of the book on YouTube made me go "holy crap" at how large it is.

And yeah, I also want the artbooks they've released for this later on @_@
I'll need to at least get the Art of Ishgard - Stone and Steel before year's end, so I can use the Wind-Up Relm minion code. Didn't want to order that one yet anyhow since... well I've yet to start Heavensward, lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think it's really good if you're into lore. The art isn't bad, but the story of the world etc. is something which makes this book feel much more worthwhile than any of the artbooks for me personally.

Arzehn

So... can I really not do the level 35 trial because I have the PS3 beta attached to my account?

Square Enix accounts that have already registered for a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account are not eligible for a free trial.

Come on Square... not making a new account, this one has all my FFXI investment/information

Luigi87

Okay I am so glad I didn't just run into talking to Minfilia this time. Tataru the best.

hoNm4V1.jpg

Kinan

So... can I really not do the level 35 trial because I have the PS3 beta attached to my account?

Come on Square... not making a new account, this one has all my FFXI investment/information

Yes, you can not. :( I'm playing on my wife's PSN and SE account, since that PSN-SE link is for life.

dabig2

Guys... Dragoon or Ninja?

In terms of demand for the Melee classes its Ninja > Dragoon >>>>>> Monk.

But play which one you like best. Hell, I picked DRG because I like spears (although the ridiculous lack of Halberd-type weps in the game saddens me) and thought they looked cool.

As someone who's simultaneously leveling both DRG and NIN to 60 along with my WAR (currently 57, 56, and 58 respectively), I definitely agree that NIN > DRG. NIN is just more fun and its utility is fantastic. Plus ninja flips!

dabig2

As a blm I'd rather have drg than nin :p
Most dps players would say the same I'd presume

As a tank, I'd rather have a NIN :p

Shadewalker is an underappreciated skill, allows tanks to open up with a DPS combo which is quite nice, which also allows the other DPS, like you my BLM friend, to go wild at the beginning without fear of destroying the whole party. And goad is also a nice little treat too that should be used more often (including myself in this). If I'm partying up with my WAR and there's a decent NIN in my party, I just feel better about my life.

Omni

As a tank, I'd rather have a NIN :p

Shadewalker is an underappreciated skill, allows tanks to open up with a DPS combo which is quite nice, which also allows the other DPS, like you my BLM friend, to go wild at the beginning without fear of destroying the whole party. And goad is also a nice little treat too that should be used more often (including myself in this). If I'm partying up with my WAR and there's a decent NIN in my party, I just feel better about my life.

As someone who DRKs a lot, this is the dream. War + Ninja in the party? My life is set

until the war starts using butcher's block because extra potency and the ninja neglects shadewalker and smoke because reasons and trick attacks on their first GCD

Getting paired with another Ninja in DF is the worst because you know as soon as you see the icon that they won't use Goad, Shade or Smoke bomb even if you use all 3.

Waiting for the day when I get paired with another Ninja and after giving them Goad multiple times they say something like "where's the Goad?".

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i keep trying to pick up this game every few months, but i think its tough to pick up my LVL 50 SCH after forgetting everything

maybe ill start a tank

do i power through to Heavansward to unlock Dark Knight? or go PLD/WAR?

dont care about the optimal class but rather the most fun

Silav101

Encyclopedia Eorzea is worth every single cent. The details and writing and expansion on in-game lore and the delicious artwork is outstanding.

I was incredibly intrigued by, for example, the classes and jobs, and their tier 3 limit breaks, where it outright states the monk LB3, Final Heaven, transcends mortal power and touches upon the divine. sogud.gif

Omni

i keep trying to pick up this game every few months, but i think its tough to pick up my LVL 50 SCH after forgetting everything

maybe ill start a tank

do i power through to Heavansward to unlock Dark Knight? or go PLD/WAR?

dont care about the optimal class but rather the most fun

War is probably the most fun right now because of how broken it feels. At least IMO. Just really damn good

DRK is my favourite tank though. PLD is just zzzzzz

jon bones

War is probably the most fun right now because of how broken it feels. At least IMO. Just really damn good

DRK is my favourite tank though. PLD is just zzzzzz

OK excellent - part of me really wants to pop that potion i have that lets me change my apperance, start at 1 and go WAR. just a whole new character, maybe a female. can you buy another one of those potions if you need it? can i save my previous body design somewhere?

i am also a Life Cleric healer in my D&D group and i... need to do something other than keep my friends alive

Thorgal

OK excellent - part of me really wants to pop that potion i have that lets me change my apperance, start at 1 and go WAR. just a whole new character, maybe a female. can you buy another one of those potions if you need it? can i save my previous body design somewhere?

i am also a Life Cleric healer in my D&D group and i... need to do something other than keep my friends alive

On the character selection screen, right click your character name and pick save character appearance (you will do the same for when you use a fantasia potion to change your character appearance but then select edit character.

Fantasia potion are for sale on mogstation for €7 (not sure how much in dollars :p)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Just keep in mind that Fantasia doesn't include a name change. So if you feel that your name doesn't match your new appearance/gender, changing it will cost money on Mog Station.

Cmagus

Getting paired with another Ninja in DF is the worst because you know as soon as you see the icon that they won't use Goad, Shade or Smoke bomb even if you use all 3.

Waiting for the day when I get paired with another Ninja and after giving them Goad multiple times they say something like "where's the Goad?".

As a ninja the worst is when you have all the bad dps who can't manage TP screaming for goad, like I'm not Oprah I can't give goad to everyone.Surprised at how many people want goad but don't know how it works or that it has a super long cooldown lol.

To be honest I really hope they overhaul ninja because it's becoming a super boring class to play. I get the benefit of nin+war but my god when there is a war in the party it literally becomes a 2 button class and it's dreadfully boring to play.Considering everyone has war leveled now and 90% of runs have war you might as well throw dancing edge out at this point.

Poked my head into A12s last night and made some progress, so far I'm almost to the time gate phase but man he hits so hard all the time, I'd hate to be a healer in that fight lol.

jon bones

On the character selection screen, right click your character name and pick save character appearance (you will do the same for when you use a fantasia potion to change your character appearance but then select edit character.

Fantasia potion are for sale on mogstation for €7 (not sure how much in dollars :p)

Just keep in mind that Fantasia doesn't include a name change. So if you feel that your name doesn't match your new appearance/gender, changing it will cost money on Mog Station.

ohh thanks! good calls all around.

MogCakes

I far prefer playing DRG because its rotation is rewarding to pull off. With NIN there is little sense of flow between the combos. Yes it brings more raid DPS, but the way that's been executed doesn't appeal to me. Mudras don't flow well with GCDs sans Fuma Shuriken. I really enjoy shadewalking BLMs and OTs for funsies though. Maybe the healer too if they aren't doing their job.

Okay I am so glad I didn't just run into talking to Minfilia this time. Tataru the best.

One of my favorite things about the game that I'm sure most people didn't notice/don't care about is how all the npcs of an area "change" through the story and have different things to say. It is also missed forever if you never talk to them.

ebil

As a ninja the worst is when you have all the bad dps who can't manage TP screaming for goad, like I'm not Oprah I can't give goad to everyone.Surprised at how many people want goad but don't know how it works or that it has a super long cooldown lol.

To be honest I really hope they overhaul ninja because it's becoming a super boring class to play. I get the benefit of nin+war but my god when there is a war in the party it literally becomes a 2 button class and it's dreadfully boring to play.Considering everyone has war leveled now and 90% of runs have war you might as well throw dancing edge out at this point.

Poked my head into A12s last night and made some progress, so far I'm almost to the time gate phase but man he hits so hard all the time, I'd hate to be a healer in that fight lol.
TL;DR: No, not literally.

Yeah, you don't have to put Dancing Edge on your target all the time if you have a WAR but it's still your best combo when you need to hit the boss from the front (it's 260 potency vs Aeolian's 240 and Armor Crush's 220), which happens in almost every fight at some point. If you're not sure which positional you're going to hit, it's also your safest bet. Adapting your combo on the fly depending on positioning is actually a nice thing about ninja. The other melees don't have the luxury to think about it because their flow is far more rigid by design.

Besides, you're still using both DoTs, Armor Crush, Aeolian Edge and your ninjutsu. It's a far cry from literally being a 2 buttons job.

I'm not commenting on the boring part because opinions, but every job can become a "2 button class" if you ignore their mechanics.

Cmagus

TL;DR: No, not literally.

Yeah, you don't have to put Dancing Edge on your target all the time if you have a WAR but it's still your best combo when you need to hit the boss from the front (it's 260 potency vs Aeolian's 240 and Armor Crush's 220), which happens in almost every fight at some point. If you're not sure which positional you're going to hit, it's also your safest bet. Adapting your combo on the fly depending on positioning is actually a nice thing about ninja. The other melees don't have the luxury to think about it because their flow is far more rigid by design.

Besides, you're still using both DoTs, Armor Crush, Aeolian Edge and your ninjutsu. It's a far cry from literally being a 2 buttons job.

I'm not commenting on the boring part because opinions, but every job can become a "2 button class" if you ignore their mechanics.

Meh I dunno it just seems like it's getting really boring and maybe it's because I've been maining it for so long it's just feeling like going through the motions. Sure De is good for frontal but that is something that doesn't happen often.It just feels like when you don't have a war and can actually use it often the class feels more engaging and the flow feels so much better.I still feel like the job needs something more it's really boring sorry that's just my opinion.

dramatis

The caster/healer gear design contest was a total wash but I'm pretty interested in how gear will look in Stormblood. Something I liked about how they designed gear in Heavensward was the sort of western-oriented (but not always medieval) designs they spat out over the course of the patches. So you got your Victorian-ish sets, your weirdo church sets, snooty nobles, etc. I'm guessing Stormblood will take from the east, but there's a buttload in the east so hopefully it won't all be JP inspired.

I bet Scholar AF3 will look like poop though, just like AF and AF2.

ebil

Meh I dunno it just seems like it's getting really boring and maybe it's because I've been maining it for so long it's just feeling like going through the motions. Sure De is good for frontal but that is something that doesn't happen often.It just feels like when you don't have a war and can actually use it often the class feels more engaging and the flow feels so much better.I still feel like the job needs something more it's really boring sorry that's just my opinion.
I'm at a point where I feel this about every job in the game (to a greater extent healers as I've been maining healers throughout the expansion), so yeah it probably has a lot to do with this. I felt the same at the tail end of ARR as well. Hopefully the 4.0 battle changes will be enough to make re-learning and playing jobs engaging again.

And it's fine, you don't have to be sorry about having an opinion. I was just debating the "literally 2 buttons" point regardless of opinions. :p

Cmagus

I'm at a point where I feel this about every job in the game (to a greater extent healers as I've been maining healers throughout the expansion), so yeah it probably has a lot to do with this. I felt the same at the tail end of ARR as well. Hopefully the 4.0 battle changes will be enough to make re-learning and playing jobs engaging again.

And it's fine, you don't have to be sorry about having an opinion. I was just debating the "literally 2 buttons" point regardless of opinions. :p

Haha yeah I was being a bit dramatic about that which I shouldn't have but all is good.

Luigi87

I really liked the storyline of 2.4. Things definitely picked up for 2.x halfway through 2.3.
Now I can finally unlock Leviathan, Ramuh, and Shiva EX =D

dramatis

Drama please. AF had the skirt and knee-high socks combo, AF2 had that badass tophat.
You might notice you're separating out parts of the outfits instead of looking at the whole

Cuz AF scholar top was bad, it had a dorky hat, and the shoes were awful

AF2 you were wearing the corpse of a bird with some mismatched pants and shoes plus rocket arms

Let's just admit SCH AF and AF2 sucked

ebil

I have a feeling AST's AF on males was never even considered as a non-joke option when they worked on concept art, though.

jon bones

playin D&D really got me excited to jump back into this

might have to stop home before HH and download all the games/updates so i can play while hungover tomorrow morning

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
In the same vein, BLM AF2 is also awful.
Save for the hat, I actually like the AF2. It's not amazing or anything. Definitely above SCH AF2 in my opinion.

Monocles and top hats have been ruined for me by the internet.

jiiikoo

Banned
How do I change chat channels on the ps4? Would love to interact with other players while doing a dungeon, but couldn't figure it out :D

Just got to do the quest to get a mount. Love running around with my Chocobo and the Egg-thingy you get from the event. Would love to join a FC too, not sure if there are any perks in joining one though? And also, is there a way to look for FC's or do you have to ask in chat or reply to someone recruiting in chat?

/fc = Free Company chat
/s = Say chat (close to you)
/y = Yell chat (bit wider range)
/sh = Shout chat (whole loaded area)
/tell Name Name = Message player (can use alt+r)
/l[#] = Linkshell #1-7, which are different chat channels you can join/make
/p = Party chat
/a = Alliance chat (for big raids/pvp)

If you just type "/[channel]" and press enter, the text box will change to that chat channel.

Shortcuts are Alt+[first letter], so Alt+F would be Free Company chat, Alt+P would be Party, etc.
Alt+L continuous: cycles through your linkshell channels.
Alt+R continuous: goes up the list of people who previously sent you messages.

If you don't want to type, press the touchpad and the cursor should show up on an element on the chatbox, you can then use dpad to move cursor around. There is a button to the left of the text field that you click and it will open menu of your available chat channels.

Thank you so much! This will be a huge help.

dramatis

How do I change chat channels on the ps4? Would love to interact with other players while doing a dungeon, but couldn't figure it out :D
/fc = Free Company chat
/s = Say chat (close to you)
/y = Yell chat (bit wider range)
/sh = Shout chat (whole loaded area)
/tell Name Name = Message player (can use alt+r)
/l[#] = Linkshell #1-7, which are different chat channels you can join/make
/p = Party chat
/a = Alliance chat (for big raids/pvp)

If you just type "/[channel]" and press enter, the text box will change to that chat channel.

Shortcuts are Alt+[first letter], so Alt+F would be Free Company chat, Alt+P would be Party, etc.
Alt+L continuous: cycles through your linkshell channels.
Alt+R continuous: goes up the list of people who previously sent you messages.

If you don't want to type, press the touchpad and the cursor should show up on an element on the chatbox, you can then use dpad to move cursor around. There is a button to the left of the text field that you click and it will open menu of your available chat channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom