• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

killatopak

Gold Member
So for someone new and trying the free trials, which server should I start on?

Using the ps4 btw cause my laptop kinda is down atm.

killatopak

Gold Member
Alright. Gonna go for ultros then. The first time setup kinda takes too long.

Edit: another 14gb download damn. My isp is slow and it'll take 6 hours to dl.

Can I pause the download or something? It's 4am and I want to sleep.

If you don't want to just let it run, then you can just close it out. It saves your download progress for PC patching, but haven't done it on PS4.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

wont it keep downloading while ps4 is in sleep mode?

i'll be on tmrw starting my tank - lets crew up

killatopak

Gold Member
If you don't want to just let it run, then you can just close it out. It saves your download progress for PC patching, but haven't done it on PS4.

I heard of it saving parts of the whole file adn starting from the closest downloaded one but not really sure on ps4.

wont it keep downloading while ps4 is in sleep mode?

i'll be on tmrw starting my tank - lets crew up

It's not downloading on the notification or downloads of the ps4 it's a running application. I'm not sure if rest mode allows an app to run or if it pauses it.

Sure. I'm still trying to think if I'd go dps or support since the free trial only lets you have one character slot.

Thorgal

So goddamn Gentlemanly !

ffxiv_dx112017-04-0729nubw.jpg

ffxiv_dx112017-04-07257udi.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So goddamn Gentlemanly !

ffxiv_dx112017-04-0729nubw.jpg

ffxiv_dx112017-04-07257udi.jpg
Only thing missing is a Hildibrand GM in the background.

I heard of it saving parts of the whole file adn starting from the closest downloaded one but not really sure on ps4.

It's not downloading on the notification or downloads of the ps4 it's a running application. I'm not sure if rest mode allows an app to run or if it pauses it.

Sure. I'm still trying to think if I'd go dps or support since the free trial only lets you have one character slot.
Progress bar will reset, but it'll start off wherever you were instead of starting and downloading everything.

It won't download anything in rest mode.

Luigi87

Encyclopedia Eorzea has shipped. Aww yiss. Looking forward to it!
... Also may have ordered two more time cards from my store >_>

Edzi

Just ordered the encyclopedia because I'm a sucker for lore books like this. Shipping costs made it kinda expensive, but oh well.

B.K.

Encyclopedia Eorzea has shipped. Aww yiss. Looking forward to it!
... Also may have ordered two more time cards from my store >_>

Mine's on the way, too. It's supposed to be here Monday.

Just ordered the encyclopedia because I'm a sucker for lore books like this. Shipping costs made it kinda expensive, but oh well.

It was right at $70 for me with tax and the 3-5 day shipping. Of course, if I had known it was shipping from Nashville, about three hours away, I would have chosen the cheapest shipping.

Luigi87

Mine's on the way, too. It's supposed to be here Monday.

It was right at $70 for me with tax and the 3-5 day shipping. Of course, if I had known it was shipping from Nashville, about three hours away, I would have chosen the cheapest shipping.
Shipping was quite high for me in Canada. I technically live only an hour from the border so I could have used a holding service, but don't feel like making that drive.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, the red scrip system seems pretty shallow, what does it do?

1) Grade V materia
2) Gear upgrades for an obsolete crafting set?
3) Converting into Rowen Blue Script Tokens

Am I missing something else?

Killthee

So, the red scrip system seems pretty shallow, what does it do?

1) Grade V materia
2) Gear upgrades for an obsolete crafting set?
3) Converting into Rowen Blue Script Tokens

Am I missing something else?
At this point it's mostly to stock up on materia for the 4.0 set and poverty gear for lttp crafters.

At launch though it was the only way to get crafting mats for the high end stuff. They'll probably do something similar for 4.0 at launch.

Haly

At this point it's mostly to stock up on materia for the 4.0 set and poverty gear for lttp crafters.

At launch though it was the only way to get crafting mats for the high end stuff. They'll probably do something similar for 4.0 at launch.

For you and other crafts here, do you think it's worth investing in Ironworks, or should I just aim for Serpentskin to be ready for SB? Can crafting still generate gil reliably? I'm working on omnicrafting right now and I'm wondering what I should do once I get there.

Sarcasm

Is this the mmo?

If so, I can't understand how they or I am messing up. I made a square enix account. Verified and all.

I had to google to find the FF mmo trial page as its nowhere in games or the previous site I was on. So it says to log in with square enix account.

Well wrong password which I try a forgot password.

Email says no square enix account is registered with said email address, even though I see the email on the other page under settings.

What gives? If I am having this much trouble just trying to get a trial why should I even spend the energy trying to play?

Squishy3

Is this the mmo?

If so, I can't understand how they or I am messing up. I made a square enix account. Verified and all.

I had to google to find the FF mmo trial page as its nowhere in games or the previous site I was on. So it says to log in with square enix account.

Well wrong password which I try a forgot password.

Email says no square enix account is registered with said email address, even though I see the email on the other page under settings.

What gives? If I am having this much trouble just trying to get a trial why should I even spend the energy trying to play?
Did you by chance make a square-enix store account? That's different from the account used for FFXI and XIV.

if you signed up on something like this page, then i don't know what's going on

Sarcasm

Did you by chance make a square-enix store account? That's different from the account used for FFXI and XIV.

if you signed up on something like this page, then i don't know what's going on

I made a new one on the trial page..I am having a different issue now =(

Think they are region blocking me now.

_____

Accidentally closed the tab while using VPN. Can't enter code or sign in using what I signed up with.

Screw this broken system anyways. Why can't they be like blizzard.

_____

Have to wait 24 hours to use email again ! lol! They hate you using trials and probably hate yea money too >.<

Be nice to use the account I already have but somehow I had a 14 day trial that I never played before.

Killthee

For you and other crafts here, do you think it's worth investing in Ironworks, or should I just aim for Serpentskin to be ready for SB? Can crafting still generate gil reliably? I'm working on omnicrafting right now and I'm wondering what I should do once I get there.
This close to SB it's probably better to just go with serpentskin and upgrade to the vendor set in SB. Even with ironworks maxed it'll be useless around lv 67 or so.

Right now the market is saturated with crafters and mats so you're not gonna be rolling in gil.

Definitely finish lving your crafts. Then get blue scrip books for the recipes. Then stock up on materia for SB. IVs are cheap right now and you'll need a bunch, will also need some Vs though so you should be capping your red scrips (carpenter has some cheap red scrip recipes). If you haven't lved your gatherers yet, I highly recommend you do. They are a great way to generate gil reliably, much more so than crafters imo, and the cost of mats in 4.0 will be high on the MB so you'll need to gather your own mats if you don't have a lot of gil stashed right now.

Haly

Yeah I have 57 MIN, 60 BTN, and.... 13 FSH.

I'm going to leave FSH for last I think because honestly fuck FSH.

With my sub all but up, I must say I had a blast this last month. The game finally clicked for me in a way it didn't during the initial free trial period when I bought it.

Ended up with, well, 36 Arc (sum and sch included), 26 CNJ, 15 Thm, 10 lancer, 5 archer, 5 mar, a slew of crafting/gathering skills, and the MSQ finished up till after the Titan trial.

Will definitely resub again, probably in the summer sometime once I finish with Persona 5.

Qvoth

With my sub all but up, I must say I had a blast this last month. The game finally clicked for me in a way it didn't during the initial free trial period when I bought it.

Ended up with, well, 36 Arc (sum and sch included), 26 CNJ, 15 Thm, 10 lancer, 5 archer, 5 mar, a slew of crafting/gathering skills, and the MSQ finished up till after the Titan trial.

Will definitely resub again, probably in the summer sometime once I finish with Persona 5.

shameless self promotion post :3
totally forgot i still need 5 more gold feathers to get twintania mount, so here's my recruitment code if anybody's interested
T6W97DVG

Entering Your Recruitment Code
You will need to log into the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station to enter your recruitment code after completing registration. After logging in, proceed to Your Account, then select Enter Recruitment Code.
http://sqex.to/Msp

* If you wish to redeem a recruitment code, it must be entered before purchase of a subscription or game time card. Bonus items cannot be obtained if a subscription has been purchased prior to use of a recruitment code.
* Recruitment codes are valid for 120 days after they are generated.

Bonus Items
Please refer to the page below for more details on bonus items.
http://sqex.to/Cz9

Haly

I saw scy a lot.

Scy was always dying I didn't think it was GAF's scy.

iammeiam

No that's probably him

I don't think Nier has tank privilege, so he probably just died constantly

Don't bother repairing him he's just gonna die again

why do people talk to me i'm just going to mock them

scy

I learned the hard way that if you AFK in the forest, you get murdered by wildlife (presumably).

Edit: Hey, I was right on it being the one in the forest!

That it's one of like 100 is another matter.

Haly

I found scy in the desert, in the forest, in the flooded city if memory serves me right.

scy

I found scy in the desert, in the forest, in the flooded city if memory serves me right.

Depending on how these corpses work, there may be many out there I never claimed as part of second/third/fourth save files I made as temp slots and then overwrote later!

Did Void Ark and Weeping City of Mhach for the first time tonight. Will probably do Dun Scaith tomorrow.

I really liked Mhach. It went pretty smoothly with no wipes, despite a non-insignificant amount of fellow newcomers. The bumpiest bits came from Ozma (came a hair's breath from wiping) , and my alliance's tank and the other healer getting locked out on the final boss.

So I have my WAR relic at 230 stage.... not sure if I want to finish it honestly. I'm already getting kind of bored but... could probably finish it before I get persona 5 in 2 weeks. I mean I collected all that umbrite. I can't just let it go to waste and let it haunt me in my inventory..... But... what will I use it for? I don't play WAR in raids at all and even though i'd like to it is kind of too late for that unless PUGS which well.... I cant really learn from cause everyone leaves after a wipe or two. Having done two relics already... I'm just insane to even think about finishing this one but may as well so I can turn it into trash for an SB relic provided the relic in SB is much more different and not a rehash of ARR like HW was. After all the diadem stuff I dont really want to think about how the new relics will suffer. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I changed my steam name to Caim for Nier, if anyone found any of those with some messages suggesting blatant psychopathy that was either me or one of the 10 other people who hated themselves enough to play Drakengard.

So I have my WAR relic at 230 stage.... not sure if I want to finish it honestly. I'm already getting kind of bored but... could probably finish it before I get persona 5 in 2 weeks. I mean I collected all that umbrite. I can't just let it go to waste and let it haunt me in my inventory..... But... what will I use it for? I don't play WAR in raids at all and even though i'd like to it is kind of too late for that unless PUGS which well.... I cant really learn from cause everyone leaves after a wipe or two. Having done two relics already... I'm just insane to even think about finishing this one but may as well so I can turn it into trash for an SB relic provided the relic in SB is much more different and not a rehash of ARR like HW was. After all the diadem stuff I dont really want to think about how the new relics will suffer. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Don't do it! Be free!

duckroll

When does the story pick up? I just hit level 10 and I haven't been grabbed by it yet. Intro was really dope tho. Also, is it possible to change classes?

Picks up around 15-20 then goes dead again until 40ish, and it's a ride all the way to the end.

Then it goes dumb filler for 2 patches worth of postgame quests before being awesome again.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I played the trial years ago but honestly only played for like an hour. Decided to get into it to see if I could get hooked. Launched it on PS4 and get "Cannot launch Final Fantasy 14. Please register the promotion code included with your package or download." Womp womp. Anyone know what to do about that? Looked around online and the error usually only affects people who bought the game.

Luigi87

I played the trial years ago but honestly only played for like an hour. Decided to get into it to see if I could get hooked. Launched it on PS4 and get "Cannot launch Final Fantasy 14. Please register the promotion code included with your package or download." Womp womp. Anyone know what to do about that? Looked around online and the error usually only affects people who bought the game.

When you launched on PS4 are you using the same account from the previous time you tried the trial, or a new one? Only brand new accounts can access the new trial.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
When you launched on PS4 are you using the same account from the previous time you tried the trial, or a new one? Only brand new accounts can access the new trial.

Probably the case, but oddly enough I was able to log in through the PC - playing on there now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Bard 60!

8ZczTMc.png

Found a glam I like. Sadly, Space-Bow doesn't really go with it. Was hilarious to go from ilvl146 to 269 instantly (i've been planning ahead).

So what Materia should I be focusing on for BRD?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Put down my lvl 50 SCH to play tank.

PUG @ 12 for cross class skills

noW GLD & MRD are both 12ish. what's the best move? GLD to 34 for the remaining skills, then finally swap to MRD -> WAR?

Killthee

When does the story pick up? I just hit level 10 and I haven't been grabbed by it yet. Intro was really dope tho. Also, is it possible to change classes?
Class restrictions are lifted once you finish the lv 10 quest with your first class. After that you can visit other class guilds to unlock them and then switch freely between your unlocked classes as long as youre not in combat or in a dungeon.

iammeiam

So what Materia should I be focusing on for BRD?

Acc to cap > Crit >>> Skillspeed > Det

ZurvEX has the same accuracy cap as all the raids, so hitting that if you're doing anything in the EX/Savage arena is key. The way crit scales + the damage kickback from Bloodletter make Crit insane on Bard. SS comes in next due to a combination of bard-as-caster and the two DoTs benefitting from the boost. Det if you can't shove anything else on there.

noW GLD & MRD are both 12ish. what's the best move? GLD to 34 for the remaining skills, then finally swap to MRD -> WAR?

The only GLD skill you really need to worry about for the most part is Provoke, at level 22. Awareness is situationally useful for WAR--it's nice to pair up with Raw Intuition, but you won't get that until WAR level 56 so it's a ways off. There are some mobs that autocrit attacks at endgame, and on large pulls not getting crit is a nice enough bonus but it's not really going to replace a real cool down. Given that they're blowing up the cross class system in two and a half months anyway it's maybe not worth it to stress about if you're not rushing into endgame stuff. Even Provoke you don't have to have before you hit 8-man content on WAR, but it's definitely nice to have and if you do get into 8 man stuff and the MT dies and you don't have it, people'll be mad.

Like, if you're enjoying leveling GLD might as well ride it out to 34, but if it's not fun you can probably walk away after getting Provoke and not really suffer for it given that the cross-class system's days are numbered.

Holy shit. I wonder if he got to interview Tanaka and the ex-FFXIV leads? How in depth are his docs usually?

Would be amazing if he got access to the 1.0 team. I wonder if Tanaka wouldn't want to discuss the situation in retrospect at this point, or if Square Enix just wants to keep pushing the YoshiP and Co. perspective which is what we've heard time and time again by now. What irks me is that we (GameTrailers) did interviews with Tanaka and the 1.0 team at least twice prior to the launch of 1.0, and there were other outlets present. I assume they also provided video/written coverage. Sadly the GT reviews were lost to time in the transfer from Viacom to Defy (along with my ARR launch postmortem interview with YoshiP from PAX 2013), so I wonder if any of those other outlets' coverage is still available. You could easily piece together a decent picture just from that, coupled with YoshiP's candid remarks over the first year of ARR's launch about why 1.0 was a failure.

But yea, basically I expect this to be well produced and hopefully get some points known by most of the community to be viewed by the larger gaming audience in general to truly appreciate the turn around story from 1.0 to ARR. Also since most of the existing coverage is either so far buried by now or no longer available (like the GT interviews), it would be nice to have a current piece of content documenting the 1.0 -> ARR history. Best case scenario, they get to talk to Tanaka and the dismissed team members and we get further insight into why they made the choices they did for 1.0.

Is it good design for a tank's most damaging combo to also generate the most enmity?

Or does it make aggro management too easy since you don't have to choose between enmity or damage?

iammeiam

Is it good design for a tank's most damaging combo to also generate the most enmity?

Or does it make aggro management too easy since you don't have to choose between enmity or damage?

I don't think FFXIV has a coherent enough approach to tanking for there to be a good answer to this. The WAR approach seems fairly sound--enmity and max DPS come from the same combo, but Eye and Path exist and have reasons to be used so it's not like you can just Block every single combo and call it good--but also feels like it comes from an entirely different school of thought from PLD and DRK, where you're basically only using your threat combo when you absolutely have to because your threat build comes from a skill you wouldn't use otherwise.

It also depends on if they want threat struggle to be an actual long-term tank mechanic, and I'd argue if the goal is to narrow the gap between the skill floor and skill ceiling you'd want balancing damage and threat to be easier. Right now the gap for PLD and DRK is stupid because the floor is going to be people who spam low-damage enmity combos in tank stance, while the ceiling is the people riding the enmity line to minimize threat combo and treating tank stance like a slightly more annoying cool down to be put up for as short as humanly possible. You can move the two ends closer together by either justifying more tank stance usage for everyone, or slapping more damage onto the 1-2-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom