• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valonquar

So is there going to be anything in 3.57 other than Zurvan echo/bird drop increase? I'm 6/7 on birds and for the life of me I can't get groups that clear him with any consistency.

ebil

So is there going to be anything in 3.57 other than Zurvan echo/bird drop increase? I'm 6/7 on birds and for the life of me I can't get groups that clear him with any consistency.
Gobdip in Dun Scaith... I guess?

Letter from the Producer Live 35 on the 28th: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/2852d229485133fc36083e6da5b3f6ebeeed5dad
Please note: Information pertaining to job actions, action adjustments, and the battle system revamp is planned to be released during a Letter from the Producer LIVE scheduled for May. Please hold onto any questions related to those topics until then.

A12S down, was good times. Killed it on the last pull of the evening, during the Communion puddle drop phase, which is always a massive clusterfuck, phew.

Now wat do.

You be bored and do nothing like me =) Leveling alt jobs is boring... I'm gonna be playing Samurai and RDM... therefore I have no real need to to get ninja or bard to 60. Maybe I'll get there by palace of the dead since I plan on running it to stockpile materia but not on my priority list.

scy

Remember when we thought they wouldn't be dumb enough to repeat the 2.5 to 3.0 lull?

Well, here we are. It's a good thing this year is packed with good releases.

It's going to be fun when 4.0 to 4.1 is 5+ months again despite what they promised.

It's very fitting with how much of Heavensward was basically "repeat ARR things a lot." Ultimately, they have me worried more than anything about Stormsblood's content and the death grip on saying anything noteworthy about what's in the works beyond "maybes" or "it has 100% what you'd expect from an expansion because it's an expansion" is annoying.

'Maybe' May Live Letters and so on finally discusses things but I'm not that hopeful.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It's very fitting with how much of Heavensward was basically "repeat ARR things a lot." Ultimately, they have me worried more than anything about Stormsblood's content and the death grip on saying anything noteworthy about what's in the works beyond "maybes" or "it has 100% what you'd expect from an expansion because it's an expansion" is annoying.

'Maybe' May Live Letters and so on finally discusses things but I'm not that hopeful.

I am starting to wonder how many times I can do the same type of content over and over again. I'm not very hopeful for Eureka after two failed attempts at Diadem. Ivalice? In the end, it'll just be the usual 24 man raid with a different writer? No changes to dungeon structure.

I dunno. =/ Mr. Happy was on the right track with asking if there would be any sort of fun ala Mythic + stuff from WoW, but that was quickly slapped down.

Was the most successful new feature in HW the Palace of the Dead?

ebil

Yeah, I'm not hopeful either. Stormblood is already confirmed to be repeating ARR and Heavensward a lot, so a lot of my personal interest in the game past the base expansion hinges on the mysterious combat changes and how they interact with battle content design (ie: will the battle changes be enough to hold my interest with 2 years of more of the same thing?). That's a pretty big burden on a pretty small part of the game all things considered.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding overly gloomy or dramatic because it doesn't matter at the end of the day, but I feel like at this point I should be a tad more hyped than I am.

I'd say Aquapolis was a really cool addition that came out of nowhere, too.

Silav101

You be bored and do nothing like me =) Leveling alt jobs is boring... I'm gonna be playing Samurai and RDM... therefore I have no real need to to get ninja or bard to 60. Maybe I'll get there by palace of the dead since I plan on running it to stockpile materia but not on my priority list.

True dat. I've already changed my raidgroup's schedule to 2x a week instead of the normal 3x, and once we have all the drops we want from A12S (i.e., have proven that the clear was a fluke), then it's just some casual bird farms or old content we never bothered clearing together.

I suppose I could finish my bard anima relic, but urgh the light grind.

I'd say Aquapolis was a really cool addition that came out of nowhere, too.

Concept was great, but I resent that it cannot easily be done solo, and that is ultra-random in everything. I just wool tops, ffs.

iammeiam

I'm trying to figure out what you could do an entire SB Live Letter about if combat changes are out and every time they get asked about something new/different it gets punted to "we don't have time now but are hoping for a 4.x patch!" Plot stuff, I guess?

I think you could make an ok case for Normal Mode Raid being up there in the success list in terms of doing what it was intended to do, but PotD and Aquapolis were probably the best truly new things to come out of HW. Flexible content with flexible party comps with decent reward systems and a sync in-place that means you won't just instantly overgear. Recycling mobs from elsewhere means relatively little dev investment compared to a dungeon or raid. Hindsight is what it is, but it seems like flipping when PotD post-50 and Diadem hit in the post-3.4 timeline probably would have helped a lot. Diadem seems destined to crater regardless of when, but having the rest PotD hit during 3.5 or 3.55 would have caused a flurry of New Thing To Do with a decent reward system and a shot in the arm for anybody trying to level pre-SB.

Ugh, just got Alex down to literally 1% and then wiped.

Worst thing is that we would have killed him had i popped LB, but I was too focused on trying to drop communion to notice. ;_;

scy

Basically. It and Aquapolis ended up being some of my favorite additions since they really suited their niches fairly well as well as having legs to them. Them both being resistant (/ignoring) to the gear curve probably helped this aspect to them since it wasn't too hard to give them new life in terms of new drops without having to worry too much. They're both content I'm glad to see on the list of returning content. I just hope they get refreshed more often.

Yeah, I'm not hopeful either. Stormblood is already confirmed to be repeating ARR and Heavensward a lot, so a lot of my personal interest in the game past the base expansion hinges on the mysterious combat changes and how they interact with battle content design (ie: will the battle changes be enough to hold my interest with 2 years of more of the same thing?). That's a pretty big burden on a pretty small part of the game all things considered.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see the actual direction for the game since that matters more to me. Combat changes, how battle content will be shaped, and basically everything that encompasses my day-to-day interaction with the game will have a bigger impact to me than anything else they've shown. Most likely nothing in the next Live Letter will cover these topics so looking at maybe over a month before those sort of details (and, realistically, probably have to wait until post-release still).

I'm sorry if I'm sounding overly gloomy or dramatic because it doesn't matter at the end of the day, but I feel like at this point I should be a tad more hyped than I am.

I for one welcome it since it's nice to see some other concern for the state of things going forward.

Eldren

I've finally started levelling my BRD from 50 after not touching since the end of the original 2.0 story. It was my first 50 but I switched to BLM for the entirety of ARR, and I've been slowly (very slowly) levelling my alt classes over the last few months. I finished DRG earlier this week and now BRD is my last DPS job.

I tried mentally preparing myself for Wanderer's Minuet but bloody hell it feels horrible. Why is Empyreal Arrow a 1.5 second cast with a 15 second cooldown and a TP cost? It's so clunky and it feels really unfun to use. Is it best to hold on to it until you get a straighter shot proc? Delaying the next GCD to squeeze it in is annoying. At least it looks cool, BRD definitely has more enjoyable animations than MCH.

aceface

Yeah, 4.0 is going to be mainly plot and 2 extreme primals. This is a Final Fantasy game and I come for the plot so that's great for me. The game is what it is.

Squishy3

"With the removal of PlayStation 3 support, are there plans to address clipping issues with hair/clothing?"

i don't think that's how that works, what is game development. saw another question that's "will flight and swimming/diving be a thing in stormblood areas"

no, this feature they announced as part of the expansion will not be in stormblood areas. please look forward to it.

suzu

I mainly play XIV for the FF setting, but I wouldn't mind it if there was more interesting/fun content outside of the main story stuff. I liked going for dungeon/raid achievements back when I played WoW.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've finally started levelling my BRD from 50 after not touching since the end of the original 2.0 story. It was my first 50 but I switched to BLM for the entirety of ARR, and I've been slowly (very slowly) levelling my alt classes over the last few months. I finished DRG earlier this week and now BRD is my last DPS job.

I tried mentally preparing myself for Wanderer's Minuet but bloody hell it feels horrible. Why is Empyreal Arrow a 1.5 second cast with a 15 second cooldown and a TP cost? It's so clunky and it feels really unfun to use. Is it best to hold on to it until you get a straighter shot proc? Delaying the next GCD to squeeze it in is annoying. At least it looks cool, BRD definitely has more enjoyable animations than MCH.

A fully-buffed, Barrage'd Empyreal Arrow is SO GOOD though. All that damage.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is there any word on fast-tracking for newcomers when Stormblood hits? I had one friend join me during Heavenward and he begrudgingly went through the 2.5-3.0 quests to catch up with me and he hated it. Are new players going to be forced to play through the story all the way through still for Stormblood or will there be other options to get them up to speed with current content?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I just want to understand how it could end up being possible to play stormblood from the beginning. I am right, that SE said people could start out with Stormblood, as opposed to Heavensward needing you to finish the main ARR story, right?

iammeiam

HW bard plays significantly different from ARR; ARR bard was don't clip your GCD, HW is about figuring out how to minimize inevitable clips. Generally you want to sit on SS procs if you can to pair with EA, and there are some scenarios where using Feint to avoid clipping when trying to double-oGCD or barrage-> EA, but clipping minimization and skill logjam are a big component of current bard.

I will say stacking skill speed helps a lot; getting the hang of the last possible moment to IJ refresh so that DoTs fall and and reappear can be kind of fun, but there's a lot of jank in current bard that hopefully SB addresses.

Is there any word on fast-tracking for newcomers when Stormblood hits? I had one friend join me during Heavenward and he begrudgingly went through the 2.5-3.0 quests to catch up with me and he hated it. Are new players going to be forced to play through the story all the way through still for Stormblood or will there be other options to get them up to speed with current content?

I just want to understand how it could end up being possible to play stormblood from the beginning. I am right, that SE said people could start out with Stormblood, as opposed to Heavensward needing you to finish the main ARR story, right?

They initially said no story gate, but have since apparently reversed their position.

At some point In The Future, they'll be adding jump potions that you can buy to either level-boost to the previous expansion's cap (so 60 in SB, 50 now in China and Korea, where the potions already exist) or to skip all story for prior expansions so that you can get right to the 'new' stuff when you hit the appropriate level.

There is not going to be a story gate on either of the new jobs, just a minimum of level 50 to pick up the quests, so you'll be able to hit 50 in ARR stuff and then immediately change to an SB job if you have the expansion, but actual content is still all going to be story gated.

They know the MSQ requirement is hobbling XIV-as-MMO, but AFAIK we still have no set time or price for the jump potions in NA/EU/JP.

Eldren

A fully-buffed, Barrage'd Empyreal Arrow is SO GOOD though. All that damage.

I keep forgetting I have Barrage... I have no intentions of ever playing BRD in actual content, I'm literally doing the Vath and Vanu dailies plus the Clan Centurio hunts to level it up and that's it. Maybe I should make a point of actually using it if it will feel good.

If you get a Straighter proc and Empyreal is coming off CD within the next 6 seconds then hold on to it.

Empyreal is the only reason Minuet is remotely fun tbh. Once you get used to it, it's your snappiest skill during your normal rotation and your biggest active damage source.

Redx508

trying out this reshade preset https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comm...any_good_reshade_30_presets_for_this/dg7gbym/ it fixes the faded colors.

on
ffxiv_dx112017-04-141y4r92.png

off

on

off
on the face of nightmares

lololol Had a rager tank tonight in 12s. I managed to get my remaining clears but this guy was just nuts. He booted me for not topping people off. Last time I checked.... there were no shields by the other Astro in the party and she wiped us multiple times yet I get booted for not topping people off. The tank wasn't using int down either so mega holy did a fuckton of damage. I tried my best to heal it but shields weren't up and boom. Dunno what the other ast was doing but I didn't deserve to be booted for and I quote "not topping people off" The other AST told me to focus dps as she had no acc melds but she let the tank die a few times and I get the blame. It's hilarious how stupid people are on this game. I blacklisted him on the spot because I just don't take that shite from anyone. We did clear 3 times before he decided to boot me XD.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tessellation on that big Paissa face looks really good.

Also I assume this stuff is just for screenshots because of performance drain?
it's not a big drain at all. And yeah I like the pop with ReShade. makes the base game look so washed out.

Messed around with glamour again, posting some screenies then more Persona 5.

it's not a big drain at all. And yeah I like the pop with ReShade. makes the base game look so washed out.

i still get 60fps so is not a big hit at all.

If that's the case I might look into it since I have noticed that the colours in the base game look a bit washed out.

Currently I usually use one of the over-saturated gpose filters for screenshots since it's better than the dull colours you get during normal play.

Just cleared A12S!

Got the mount and the Axe as well lol.

Was there an Ellia and Meow in that party? Cause that's totally my party you joined then! Well, it might be coincidence but someone did get the mount and the axe in my party that just ended about half an hour ago. Anyhow regardless if you were there or not, grats! xD. Have fun with the trap farm parties!

Was there an Ellia and Meow in that party? Cause that's totally my party you joined then! Well, it might be coincidence but someone did get the mount and the axe in my party that just ended about half an hour ago. Anyhow regardless if you were there or not, grats! xD. Have fun with the trap farm parties!

Yep! Lucia Marx is my character name, I was the DRG. Who were you?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The delay on Bio is balls. I lose an entire oGCD's worth of time waiting for it to apply!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It usually applies before the second half of the oGCD downtime from my experience.

Delay is still ass though.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Not sure who Red XIII is here but I was the noob waving to you at Hawkers Alley (or whatever it's called) today. ^_^

I'm getting majorly sidetracked from the story as there seems to be so much to do in this game. I just discovered crafting and fishing and completely forgot where I was with the MSQ.

Stuart444

So we cleared A9S after about an hour and a bit (including a few people who had to drop out early so we had some time between our first and second attempts while we looked for people).

Here's the video of the clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7z9d_n9xYw&t=2s

We had someone calling out things in discord which was a great help (without it, we probably wouldn't have won).

Also, DRG bracelet and ring dropped which I got, so yay! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom