• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Why does nobody like T11? I loved that fight.

My memories of that fight was the add phase being the only real difficult part and the boss itself was a badly reskinned hydra. Like it was okay but I don't think that's really part of what people regard as the glory days of Final Coil. Same with Imdugud whose most memorable part was his name.

Ixian

I have weird nostalgia for T1 just due to it being the first raid and not having any idea what to expect in terms of how it'd be structured in FFXIV. I'd say FFXIV raiding in general didn't live up to my hopes but I still enjoyed it for what it is. The music though!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I have weird nostalgia for T1 just due to it being the first raid and not having any idea what to expect in terms of how it'd be structured in FFXIV. I'd say FFXIV raiding in general didn't live up to my hopes but I still enjoyed it for what it is. The music though!

Yeah T9, 12 and 13 changing up the music was such a relief a goddamn year of the normal coil remixes, but it lasted a lot longer than alex's theme did without being annoying.

rubius01

On a whole, Alexander failed in every way compared to Coil except the token system. Shit story, shit music, boring fights.

Meh, as someone who never played 1.x coils story didn't have the impact for me as others. I think the fights weren't "better" than alex, its just the are surpremly tuned to the skill levels of the general public.

They tried some new things in alex (A1, A6,A7) but thry had serious flaws. And again the fights were tuned for the 1%ers in mind, so if you didnt "get gud" it fucked the whole fight up and gave us users a bad expierence.

I always felt that the fights in coil were repatitive and way too long (looking at you t12 and t13). Though the music was fantastic in coil, alex's music wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. It just became a harbinger of frustration. (A4's music did suck though)

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I always felt that the fights in coil were repatitive and way too long (looking at you t12 and t13). Though the music was fantastic in coil, alex's music wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. It just became a harbinger of frustration. (A4's music did suck though)

Yeah as much as I like T12 and T13, the length is a little too long. Most of my favourite WoW fights for example had an enrage of less than ten minutes; I think it's a side effect of the low number of raid fights in general though.

Thorgal

TBH , sometimes i wonder if Anything will ever surpass or equal coils in some people 's eyes.

like i never got to experience what it was like at the time myself but i heard enough from FC members .

Coils is the closure of 1.0 storyline and had the full weight of Bahamut blowing the game to kingdom come and it's rebirth a year later behind it .

How can any other raid tier compete with that ?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
TBH , sometimes i wonder if Anything will ever surpass or equal coils in some people 's eyes.

like i never got to experience what it was like at the time myself but i heard enough from FC members .

Coils is the closure of 1.0 storyline and had the full weight of Bahamut blowing the game to kingdom come and it's rebirth a year later behind it .

I half-agree but to be fair Gordias was not a good look, coming off Final or no.

Squishy3

Also one miner niggle about the new Alex tier is holy hell there's a lot of uptime on the first boss.

I was using invigorate optimally and was still running on empty near the end of the fight. And we had a MCH and a Ninja in our party! And that's not even factoring in our Monk and MT, who were also running on empty.

You can compete with a proper storyline and characters. Coil made us care about who we were fighting and why, it felt like a big deal. Alex failed in that aspect because for the most part its hard to give a shit about these characters. Who the hell is Mide? Why should I care about any of these generic goblins? What is exciting about beating a bunch of generic robots over and over or worse, beefed up versions of the Final Fantasy equivalent of slimes?

Creator was a big step up in that sense but too little too late.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I sure as hell care about any of the dudes in coil either if that helps, but goblins are probably the biggest flaw in the whole thing. Nael might have been a terrible Sephiroth homage but as least he had a cool spear, and Luis Suarez had the hilariously cheesy cutscene to make him entertaining.

Squishy3

I think if Alex started with the "personality" of Midas it'd have been a lot better. Maybe like as an example of a redux of Gordias they could've kept Oppressor, replaced A2 with the robots from A6, Living Liquid and Manipulator, and that would still have built up to Brute Justice in A8, and they'd only need to have a different A6 fight.

Like there just isn't really buildup for the bosses in Alex itself, and Coil is kind of the same way outside of Nael, Phoenix and Bahamut.

Probably what needs to happen is just more interaction between the MSQ and the 8 man raids. Set people up in the MSQ that you can go like "that's an antagonist" and then have them appear in the raids themselves.

Like having Nero be an active participant in Crystal Tower was great as an example.

ebil

Killed Sophia 10 times tonight. I think that's the most forgiving extreme primal we have ever had.

I also got my Daggers and Bow, the orchestrion roll and the mount, so I guess I'm not allowed to complain for a long while, lol.

aceface

I think at least part of the attraction for me with the coil story was putting in all that work to see the cutscenes. It really felt like an accomplishment to figure out what the heck was going on. Also they led off the first set of raids focused on the biggest baddest summon in Final Fantasy, it makes it hard to top.

I haven't done Alex creator or Sophia yet, but if they could somehow tie the statues into the next raid that would be cool. Like have a set of raid tiers be different levels of a multi level boss like you fight at the end of FF6 or something.

I didn't mind adds on T11 that part was fun, those damn tethers tho
T7 best raid forever

I honestly love A9,11, and 12. Only one I feel could be better is A10. It just doesn't really feel like a boss to me I guess, maybe savage will change my mind.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A9 Savage down. Fight's super easy.

Cte7MvTVMAAbQR9.jpg

wamberz1

Just bought this game cause of the sale but can't get into ultros :( or most of the primal servers for that matter. Guess I'll just have to wait it out.

OK, so having just beat the main 3.0 story of Heavensward, what's the best way to build up my item level so I can start participating in level 60 dungeons and raids?

I ended up caring more about Shanoa than Mide which still isn't saying much about the Alex story.

Design-wise, balance-wise, and story-wise, Alex was overall disappointing. There's a couple good things you can cherry pick from it, but I don't know how long this end-game raid structure is going to last.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sophia EX down. Annoying as hell fight. It's easy as hell but I never had so much trouble keeping track of everything.

Pro tips for PLDs: if you HG the tank buster you don't get the debuff. My axe doesn't give me this luxury.

Omni

Anyone else on PS4 getting HUGE frame rate problems while in Idyllshire, since the patch?

I'm guessing like 15-20fps. Honestly it feels completely unplayable at times.

aceface

Anyone else on PS4 getting HUGE frame rate problems while in Idyllshire, since the patch?

Yeah my wife who is on PS4 is as well. Didn't they change the default graphics settings on ps4 for this patch?

Yeah, it's been very choppy. I figured it might be because there are more people in the area after the patch putting more strain on the game, but maybe it's just that something got screwed up. I guess we'll see if the hotfix maintenance tonight does anything.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Posting hints for Sophia because arithmetics is the last thing I want to do

1-3: No movement (only the 1st set)

2-1: Go to 2, light
4-2: Go to 4, heavy
4-3: Go to 4, light
3-3, 2-2 or 1-1: Go to whichever doesn't have blue, heavy

Gnosis pushback immediately after 3rd set of black/white matching

Demoskinos

Yeah, it's been very choppy. I figured it might be because there are more people in the area after the patch putting more strain on the game, but maybe it's just that something got screwed up. I guess we'll see if the hotfix maintenance tonight does anything.

I thought it was just that the place is packed with people. Mor Dohna used to be similar back when that was the place to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom