• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they didn't fix the actual problems with the PLD job, a 150s CD 15% damage reduction isn't going to do anything. WAR has Path, DRK has Delirium, PLD has a long cooldown

PLD already had Divine Veil. no1curr

I mean, the job seems to play quite different already, so who knows, but being the only tank able of a PT 15% dmg reduction is a huge deal. To me seems that PLD will become the MT de facto.

(And come on, blocks magic now...)

PLD skills still seem like it's skewing heavily to MT. "Utility" meaning if you actually need damage reduction vs straight DPS, but idk we'll see.

Yep, that's what I got.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Did BLM just lose their BLM superiority with the Piety change?

Maybe not if it all goes into INT.

Yes I know it was a minor difference.

scy

I mean, the job seems to play quite different already, so who knows, but being the only tank able of a PT 15% dmg reduction is a huge deal. To me seems that PLD will become the MT de facto.

The other two have 10% already (up to 20% for DRK if it's a magic AoE). So not really?

Honestly, if I was a PLD main, I'd be more upset over wasting a skill slot on something like that vs getting something that helped fill their gaps.

Edit: Put another way, without things specifically designed for it (high damage split cleaves, Wild Charge mechanics, etc.) it's rather awkward due to the risk of eating cleaves and putting everyone into the frontal arc. As an OT slot, it gives them a thing but then wastes the 100% block chance. It also shuts off PLD GCDs (I believe? since moving cancels it).

It and Divine Veil lets them fluff a lot of transition stuff but those are already not a threat since they have to design around DRK+WAR access.

STR changes again? te fuck....

The other two have 10% already (up to 20% for DRK if it's a magic AoE). So not really?

Honestly, if I was a PLD main, I'd be more upset over wasting a skill slot on something like that vs getting something that helped fill their gaps.

None of those offers 100% for tank, I don't know as a tank myself this looks a really good skill. Depending how encounters are designed it could be key.

BLCKATK

I think I remember them saying that "Passage of Arms" also makes your Block Rate 100%? If PLD can block magic now, then that makes that pretty good. You just use it for the big hit for yourself if there are no instances where you need to cover the party.

Qvoth

huh they're saying they still have a lot to mention, but i think i'll go sleep now
wtzgU.gif

scy

None of those offers 100% for tank, I don't know as a tank myself this looks a really good skill. Depending how encounters are designed it could be key.

100% Block Chance, not 100% mitigation. Which will depend on any shield changes as that's really just the 20%-ish mark off-hand. Edit: Though, I suppose it's also the 15% mitigation to the tank ... probably? Which makes it a really good personal cooldown potentially.

But, yeah, it'll come down to needing things designed specifically for it to be useful. Long stretches of AoEs without any cleaves to worry about while also having auto-attacks and/or tankbusters to also warrant the self-mitigation. But it mostly seems to be an excessive ability rather than something pivotal. Realistically, I expect it to be more used as a channeled tank cooldown rather than strictly used as a party cooldown.

Also, for what it's worth, tank main who was approaching SB with basically going to level all 3 tanks to figure out what's best.

Didn't catch whether Oath stances are still on GCD.

They are still on the GCD.

BLCKATK

100% Block Chance, not 100% mitigation. Which will depend on any shield changes as that's really just the 20%-ish mark off-hand. Edit: Though, I suppose it's also the 15% mitigation to the tank ... probably? Which makes it a really good personal cooldown potentially.

But, yeah, it'll come down to needing things designed specifically for it to be useful. Long stretches of AoEs without any cleaves to worry about while also having auto-attacks and/or tankbusters to also warrant the self-mitigation. But it mostly seems to be an excessive ability rather than something pivotal. Realistically, I expect it to be more used as a channeled tank cooldown rather than strictly used as a party cooldown.

Also, for what it's worth, tank main who was approaching SB with basically going to level all 3 tanks to figure out what's best.

Yeah, this. I find the skill pretty damn versatile. Sure you can't attack during it but it seems like a powerful cooldown so if you need to use for the group, you can plan for it, or you can use it for yourself. Also if you are OT during an Alliance raid and things are going poorly, you can shield party members from big damage and help people stay alive.

Of course I'm going to leveling all three tanks as well, but so far PLD looks like it is getting mechanics that will make it more interesting, that will be nice. I've missed playing PLD.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I made a joke about PvP being changed so each job have 4-5 abilities and each map having 3 lanes.

I was almost half right!

Soroc

First time since they introduced PVP I'm actually slightly interested and thats telling b/c I'm usually not into PVP at all. Should have always been created this way though, never understood trying to homogenize pve ability with pvp.

BLCKATK

The PvP looks pretty good right now, it's going to change up the game a lot. PvP in this game has always been about how much you can burst, this changes it A LOT.

So I guess they are trying to make it easier to burst people down?

They removed Stuns from melee DPS? Uhhhhhh

iammeiam

I want to see the dartboard they use to pick which jobs they went in-depth into and which got bumped for PVP and ground mounts.

Also over/under on this ending, as it always does, trying to sell us new merch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom