• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

This reeks of greed.

It reeks of the MSQ being a huge barrier to entry for new players, especially if you're not feeling the ARR stuff.

$50 to go from 0 to SB ready in no time is a big enough chunk of cash to make sure you're srs about it, but vanishingly small when it comes to the amount of time the whole process takes. Getting leveled and clearing all the story takes a ton of time, and being able to sidestep that isn't nothing.

studyguy

discords right now are hilarious
MNKs gonna be slave drivers checking your parses

.eJwNx0EOhCAMAMC_8ABKC0XrbwgSNFEh0D1t_Pvu3OZrPuMymzlU-9wA9nPmNnY7tY1Ui62t1aukfk6b2w1JNeXjLo9OoFVIfMAYJLB3HBE8RhIOwguhI2YfAf8Lq6MFidD2p5r3B75fIm4.beqgMsz3HOvK_ar8fCIPFCTX7Qg

It reeks of the MSQ being a huge barrier to entry for new players, especially if you're not feeling the ARR stuff.

$50 to go from 0 to SB ready in no time is a big enough chunk of cash to make sure you're srs about it, but vanishingly small when it comes to the amount of time the whole process takes. Getting leveled and clearing all the story takes a ton of time, and being able to sidestep that isn't nothing.
Yeah, basically this is an option so people who want to play with their friends don't have to spend 300 hours on the game to get to the starting line, let alone catch up

Crosseyes

Banned

Yeah you're basically paying for 3-4 months of sub time being skipped and given.

Plus this also helps current content as well, since with this being an option Square doesn't have to come up with more ways to get people to queue up for obsolete content.

scy

Yeah the thing I actually am honing in on is that Auto-Attacks while in SWORD OATH generated the meter. Maybe it's the bonus auto-attack that occurs while in Sword Oath that generates the meter? If so, then stance swapping is mandatory now for PLD, which is awesome.

All speculation, but I'm getting excited.

Actually, yeah, it looks like it's just the auto-attacks, not the GCDs specifically. Which probably means Shield Oath might just be off blocks.

And Sheltron was 50 and it's the only ability on the bars with a cost that fits as it's targeting the bar. Which makes me think WIP still.

studyguy

Yeah the gauge thing seems reasonable.
That actually does 100% fix the issue of not being able to proc PLD skills when you're not MT since shelltron was based off the gauge. Maybe other things are hooked to it too now. Shield Swipe and such?

I still can't believe they didn't do anything to Skill Speed. That stat is still trash for the majority of all jobs yet they said "this is fine". XD

iammeiam

m e r c h

I wonder if this means I can boost SCH on an alt to 60 and get a free 60 SMN out of it.

but then I'd have to learn to SMN

but then Bahamut

life choices...

scy

Yeah the gauge thing seems reasonable.
That actually does 100% fix the issue of not being able to proc PLD skills when you're not MT since shelltron was based off the gauge. Maybe other things are hooked to it too now. Shield Swipe and such?

Shield Swipe wasn't on his bars to check, or has a new icon I guess. There was another 120 TP cost skill (aka, Shield Lob cost) that I didn't recognize on the bars too, along with the 110 TP most-likely-AoE skill.

I still can't believe they didn't do anything to Skill Speed. That stat is still trash for the majority of all jobs yet they said "this is fine". XD

Most every job wants SSPD to some extent, especially with how bad DET is. MCH has the lowest SSPD in any sets (base or practically base) while everyone else is somewhere in the mid-500s to 599. Like, DRG is after 599 for their rotation to time out properly, even NIN with clipping gets to the low 500s.

dramatis

Well grip and surecast are useless
So it's gonna be CS, Protect, Esuna, Swiftcast and then one of the remaining four.
Which we don't know what they do.
In a raid setting one of the healers can abandon protect and depending on the fight you might not need esuna buuuuuut
You can try bargaining with the other healer I suppose

Pretty sure that's supposed to be Lucid Dream.
Thanks, I've been repeating it over and over in my head in JP and couldn't figure it out, I guess I got stuck lol

Should have just used jisho

Ranged dps:
hyWpT64.jpg

"Graze all of the things"

Melee:
qO7vdSD.jpg

Frumix

Suffering From Success
True North nullifies positional requirements.
Diversion is Quelling Strikes.
Refresh, judging form the name, is MP Goad.

YASSSSS I can skip all the 2.0-2.55 stuff and get straight to Heavensward. I haven't played since I beat 2.0 cause the thought of all the patch stuff was hell to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Grip is good IMO. Gives some room for innovative positioning strats.

iammeiam

What are the details on this?

$18 to skip the ARR story, $25 to skip the HW story (includes ARR skip)
$25 to skip one pre-SB job straight to 60, limited to one skip per account until 4.1

So $50 to take a brand new character or account to SB-ready; launches 6/16.

What do the new ast cards do?

AST is on the heap of jobs they didn't talk about.

Based on HW, expect drips and drabs of information and then covert tooltip pictures out of E3.

Wagram

I can't wait to deal with tanks and healers jumping from 1 to 60 immediately. There's going to be a lot more problems in duty finder for sure.

Most every job wants SSPD to some extent, especially with how bad DET is. MCH has the lowest SSPD in any sets (base or practically base) while everyone else is somewhere in the mid-500s to 599. Like, DRG is after 599 for their rotation to time out properly, even NIN with clipping gets to the low 500s.

Yeah, but to have Skill Speed in the mid 500s - low 600s you're basically trying to nix it from most of your gear, only having it on a few pieces. If you just have Skill Speed on most of your stuff you get to like 700-800 or higher which is terrible. So if you're actively trying to keep it down lower and they keep pushing it onto gear to make it higher than that, it's still bad.

They need to just do the thing they seem to be avoiding like the plague and make Skill Speed affect your TP restoration to a degree so you don't bottom out super fast. And even then some classes will not want it like NIN and MCH.

In for a jump potion, I'm still in 2.0 post game content. No thanks to all that noise.

Same here. Do Jump Potions go live now or when Stormblood comes out? I have a main that's at Moogle King in ARR (not even 2.0) but I'd rather just use a Jump Potion to hop my brand new alt up to Heavensward. I wouldn't mind working thru HW before SB comes out since I never played it, but I'm kinda ok with just going straight to SB if they're not gonna release the option to buy Jumps until SB comes.

I traditionally play tank and I keep seeing Warrior is the most fun (and most effective), though I was Paladin back when I quit. Trying to decide if I want to keep tanking or take a massive L to my Duty Finder queue times and go Monk... I know the mechanics well enough for both from my previous play, and I like both... :(

Never played Ninja either and think it looks cool, but not gonna bet on an unknown class for lack of playstyle knowledge and lack of effectiveness knowledge -- I'll work on that manually sometime down the road.

dramatis

For Casters:
5a1i6ca.jpg

Lucid Dream being shared with heals makes me wonder if it really is raise spell. Maybe more than smn will be useful in that regard then.

Same here. Do Jump Potions go live now or when Stormblood comes out? I have a main that's at Moogle King in ARR (not even 2.0) but I'd rather just use a Jump Potion to hop my brand new alt up to Heavensward. I wouldn't mind working thru HW before SB comes out since I never played it, but I'm kinda ok with just going straight to SB if they're not gonna release the option to buy Jumps until SB comes.

I traditionally play tank and I keep seeing Warrior is the most fun (and most effective), though I was Paladin back when I quit. Trying to decide if I want to keep tanking or take a massive L to my Duty Finder queue times and go Monk... I know the mechanics well enough for both from my previous play, and I like both... :(

Never played Ninja either and think it looks, but not gonna bet on an unknown class -- I'll work on that manually sometime down the road.
Potions go live alongside Stormblood EA

Thorgal

Never played Ninja either and think it looks, but not gonna bet on an unknown class -- I'll work on that manually sometime down the road.

they will release june 16th on Mogstation .

Didn't they say Diversion is a sort of combined Raging + Quelling Strikes, or did I misunderstand that?

Just Quelling. At the moment it looks like Raging Strikes got fully booted from the game. Although all the role skills are not known so it may still be there in another name.

iammeiam

I really want to know what they're doing to ranged support stuff; they referenced support from the role actions, and that bards have songs for further, but zero mention of hypercharge/promotion, and we didn't see a gauge for Foe Req.

I can't wait to deal with tanks and healers jumping from 1 to 60 immediately. There's going to be a lot more problems in duty finder for sure.

HW proved out that making them level normally didn't really make people learn how to tank or heal either. At least a jump potion requires a real dollar-value commitment from the person skipping, and since it's one-per-account they're going to end up stuck learning whatever they jump.

It's possible you'll get people fresh off the turnip truck dropping $50 to ruin your SB queues, but I'd guess everything they've seen in Korea and China indicates the people dropping actual real money on jumps are more likely to try to not be totally incompetent.

studyguy

Jump potions literally mean nothing to me personally. POTD already exists for people to power through with little regard for actual skill usage.

Guess Who

Banned
Just Quelling. At the moment it looks like Raging Strikes got fully booted from the game. Although all the role skills are not known so it may still be there in another name.

Yoshi-P definitely made a point of noting early on that Raging Strikes wasn't on his hotbar, but said "if you don't see a skill you use here, don't worry, there's probably something to replace it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom