• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potions go live alongside Stormblood EA

they will release june 16th on Mogstation .

Cool, thanks.

Time to start doing my research. I feel that I'm definitely going to jump at least post-ARR. I got no beef working my way thru HW, since I never played it, but I do kinda want to be on the up with everyone else and go straight to SB. Decisions, decisions... But plenty of time to form one. :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I am so excited right now. Not surprised to see the jump potions and will gladly use a couple on an alt!

Veldin

The way I see it, that party-shield PLD skill will probably free up the limit gauge for DPS instead where you'd need Tank LB to survive. At least, I would hope there's more situations where party-wide damage reduction is absolutely necessary.

Yam's

I can't wait to deal with tanks and healers jumping from 1 to 60 immediately. There's going to be a lot more problems in duty finder for sure.

I expect a player comitting to this price to actually care about his class. And with all the people going through the leveling process and still failing at their job cause they don't give a shit, we won't notice a difference imo.

Pretty nice live letter overall. As a big pvp player I'm glad with their changes, just hope they act quickly when they'll need to balance things out.

Still not sure the game will keep me for more than a month though, but I'm pretty close to preorder.

Guess Who

Banned
The way I see it, that party-shield PLD skill will probably free up the limit gauge for DPS instead where you'd need Tank LB to survive. At least, I would hope there's more situations where party-wide damage reduction is absolutely necessary.

it'll let PLDs look really cool during ults

iammeiam

No chance; the situations where tank LB is necessary require tank LB3.

Tank LB3 is 80% mitigation.

PLD wing-thing is 15% mitigation. Nowhere near close to enough.

Thorgal

tbf how many times out side of raid progression early days are you going to depend on the Tank LB instead of letting the DPS do it in either a dungeon or primal ?

LordKasual

Banned
these changes are significantly more significant than I was expecting

I deeply regret reading through this thread and watching that skill video

Ley Lines teleport? Enochian QoL changes? Minuet/Gauss barrel casting removed?

PALADIN HAS THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING FUN TO PLAY?

i'm dying here ;_;

iammeiam

tbf how many times out side of raid progression early days are you going to depend on the Tank LB instead of letting the DPS do it in either a dungeon or primal ?

That's completely unrelated? The game has a couple of spots where it forces you to tank LB; the PLD wing thing will not be able to substitute for that.

Since everything in 90% of the game hits you with a feather duster, outside of Savage for the most part mitigation isn't super important regardless. In the cases where you tank LB in Savage that I can think of, this is either not sufficient (A12/T13), would not work (LB cheesing intermission in A8S), or during a time you don't really have the tank stacked with the party anyway (A12S cheesing Holy Bleed during the tank swap stuff.)

In dungeons and primals nothing matters so shrug.

Edit: wait, I lie. Tank LB cheese Soar in Zurvan. This wouldn't work for that either.

BLCKATK

Hey guys, I just looked over some footage from the Live Letter, made this list for WAR. Tanks in the thread (Scy is WAR main right?) can you take a look and see if you noticed anything else?

Warrior

Inner Beast Gauge: Fills up from specific Weaponskills from what I can tell. Blinks red when full.

Brutal Swing - Gone, replaced with Low Blow, which is a role action.
Berserk - No longer pacifies you after it wears off. Does not give Inner Beast when used. Still a 20s buff.
Maim - Applied a debuff with the Slashing Resistance Down symbol, 25s. Generated 10 Inner Beast.
Storm's Eye - Applied a buff to the Warrior for 30s. Generated 10 Inner Beast.
Storm's Path - No longer applies a debuff, restored 50% of damage dealt. Generated 10 Inner Beast.
Fell Cleave - Definitely deals less damage. Costs 50 Inner Beast.
Infuriate - Increases Inner Beast by 50.
New Action - Costs 20 Inner Beast. The Warrior pummels the enemy with their left fist, dealing damage.
New Buff: A red explosion erupts from the Warrior, and they have a red aura with glowing red eyes. Used 20 Inner Beast. Reduced the cost of skills that use Inner Beast by half, making Fell Cleave only cost 25 (Intially 50).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Storm's Eye didn't only put a buff on Warrior but also put a Slashing debuff on the target (which now looks like a generic icon you can see in Shiva Extreme for example). For what it's worth NIN application of Slashing debuff also applied with that icon. Probably so that you can tell you've got it without learning icons of other jobs.

Wagram

Samurai does need a little more flash. They aren't horrendous or anything of the sort, but compared to the other classes it looks a little dry.

Veldin

If everything is completely the same and tank LB1 is never needed, then I guess it'll be a mostly useless skill. ┐(´ー`)┌

iammeiam

If everything is completely the same and tank LB1 is never needed, then I guess it'll be a mostly useless skill. ┐(´ー`)┌

It seems to largely fall into "If you're bringing a PLD anyway, you'll figure out how to work this in at some point."

Sort of like Apoc on a BLM or raise on a summoner; it's not game-changing enough to make the job vital, but it's nice to have if you already have access to it anyway. It'll be a good personal CD for the tank, and popping it to cover the party if a situation arises is great, but in most fights it'll probably still be less desirable as mitigation than something like Path.

Samurai does need a little more flash. They aren't horrendous or anything of the sort, but compared to the other classes it looks a little dry.

I don't think they were that bad. Plus we haven't even seen all of their stuff. The Midare Setsugekka did look a bit blander than I expected though for it to be their big holy crap damage attack.

scy

Berserk - No longer pacifies you after it wears off. Does not give Inner Beast when used. Still a 20s buff.

He had god mode active so it never really processed but it didn't pop a Pacify (immune) text so maybe. Also, no buffs activated gave Inner Beast.

Still listed at the same potency so unsure what to say on that.

I believe the other missed action mentioned would be the charge, costing 20 Inner Beast.

WAR got changed a lot. I think we're all trying to figure out how much of a nerfing we got.

We gained Rampart from role actions and unless there's hidden nerfs in the skills, we're largely unchanged at a glance. Maim and Eye swapped their roles it looks like and no idea what happened to old Path. WAR Boost mode is a pretty good damage ability off the look of it so I'm not sure if we're really in a worse spot than before.

Barring PLD and DRK getting a ton of defensive abilities, it seems like everyone is still par for total defensive buttons to throw at things and we're kings on cooldown timers and damage output.

BLCKATK

Storm's Eye didn't only put a buff on Warrior but also put a Slashing debuff on the target (which now looks like a generic icon you can see in Shiva Extreme for example). For what it's worth NIN application of Slashing debuff also applied with that icon. Probably so that you can tell you've got it without learning icons of other jobs.

When I slowed things down it seemed like that actually moved that Slashing Resistance Down debuff over to Maim now and Storm's Eye only gives the new personal buff, whatever it is.

0tw1z0r.png

studyguy

WAR still stands as the class with the most reworks in its general mechanics from 1.0 to 4.0. It's been built up and torn down completely like 3 or 4 times now.

RK9039

Hey guys, I just looked over some footage from the Live Letter, made this list for WAR. Tanks in the thread (Scy is WAR main right?) can you take a look and see if you noticed anything else?

Warrior

Inner Beast Gauge: Fills up from specific Weaponskills from what I can tell. Blinks red when full.

Brutal Swing - Gone, replaced with Low Blow, which is a role action.
Maim - Applied a debuff with the Slashing Resistance Down symbol, 25s. Generated 10 Inner Beast.
Storm's Eye - Applied a buff to the Warrior for 30s. Generated 10 Inner Beast.
Storm's Path - No longer applies a debuff, restored 50% of damage dealt. Generated 10 Inner Beast.
Infuriate - Increases Inner Beast by 50.
New Action - Costs 20 Inner Beast. The Warrior pummels the enemy with their left fist, dealing damage.
New Buff: A red explosion erupts from the Warrior, and they have a red aura with glowing red eyes. Used 20 Inner Beast. Reduced the cost of skills that use Inner Beast by half, making Fell Cleave only cost 25 (Intially 50).

Nice, I main Warrior too. I'm loving that red explosion buff.

Hopefully Fell Cleave wasn't nerfed too badly.

scy

WAR still stands as the class with the most reworks in its general mechanics from 1.0 to 4.0. It's been built up and torn down completely like 3 or 4 times now.

For the most part, we seem relatively unchanged here. Looks like we lost Foresight in order to gain Rampart from role action but that's fine for the most part. Losing generating resource on buff activation is a thing but to be expected. They did not lock defensive mitigation behind tank stance and it seems their 'tank DPS rebalance' is mostly going to be focused on not having access to True Hit / Direct Hit as a stat. Probably also replacing Determination outright with Tenacity if I had to guess.

The only current question mark is if we did in fact lose Storm's Path's mitigation. And I guess whatever the other role action things do. I will also note the loss of Mercy Stroke on the bars, probably replaced by Ultimatum though.

Also, glossed over it but Inner Beast and Steel Cyclone are now replaced by Fell Cleave and Decimate when the swapped stances.

Wow WAR got nerfed hard.

Also Berserk is now 30% instead of 50%

In ... what way?

And where's the source on the Berserk? And is it 50% Attack Power -> 30% Attack Power or 50% AP -> 30% Damage.

In ... what way?

And where's the source on the Berserk? And is it 50% Attack Power -> 30% Attack Power or 50% AP -> 30% Damage.

Losing Storm's Path debuff.

vZpmNdf.jpg

Also considering the Inner Cost is now shared between several skills and the lowered damagae all around. I mean is ok, since WAR should never considered a DPS. But I fear another unbalance between tanks, this time affecting WAR.

scy

Losing Storm's Path debuff.

I mean ... my group can probably hate me for it but I largely haven't used Storm's Path on content in a long time that wasn't in part due to "rip we did a dumb thing." Granted, it'll largely depend on content balance. And everyone gained Reprisal off the role action so it's most likely shifted due to that.

80s of +30% AP vs 60s of +50% AP under the same time frame is a net positive, not negative. It also means it lines up better with Trick Attack and Hypercharge (assuming it still exists).

Arkeband

Banned
Direct Hit sounds like glancing blows - so now instead of straight up missing your hits if you don't have accuracy, you just hit a fraction of your "real" direct hit damage.

So basically, WoW.

LordKasual

Banned
Direct Hit sounds like glancing blows - so now instead of straight up missing your hits if you don't have accuracy, you just hit a fraction of your "real" direct hit damage.

So basically, WoW.

Direct Hit actually adds damage. So it's like a semi-crit.

You can also crit along with a direct hit. For a Direct Crit!

Accuracy is apparently 100% if you're equal level, barring debuffs and whatnot

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SAM needs more flash. I'm okay with the normal skills being subdued but the 3 sigil spell should look a lot fancier.

So basically, WoW.

Actually, the way they explained it is like a midpoint between normal hits and criticals. Doesn't hit as hard as a crit but happens more often.

iammeiam

Warrior nerfed?

I'm hearing something about 7 Fell Cleaves?

lul

OK but PLD got wings that render you immobile for the duration.

WAR can't compete

(realistically it's super premature for any gauges on anything; I just remember the last time they fixed PLD and DRK looked amazing so WAR was expected to take the back seat.)

Guess Who

Banned

So basically, WoW.

Not really - accuracy and direct hit aren't tied at all. Accuracy is now based entirely on your level relative to the enemy's level, and if you're at the same level you should never miss (unless you're blinded or debuffed or etc). Direct hits are basically just mini-crits, but at a higher occurrence rate than "full crits" (so they more reliably buff your damage).

BLCKATK

I mean ... my group can probably hate me for it but I largely haven't used Storm's Path on content in a long time that wasn't in part due to "rip we did a dumb thing." Granted, it'll largely depend on content balance. And everyone gained Reprisal off the role action so it's most likely shifted due to that.

I'm just glad Warrior doesn't have the Path debuff anymore because I felt like it was a piece of defensive utility that could be in better hands, mainly in the hands of the defense tank, PLD.

Since everyone gets Reprisal now I think that is even better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wish they gave it a better name than "Direct Hit".

LordKasual

Banned
OK but PLD got wings that render you immobile for the duration.

WAR can't compete

(realistically it's super premature for any gauges on anything; I just remember the last time they fixed PLD and DRK looked amazing so WAR was expected to take the back seat.)

PLD is my only capped tank, i've stuck with it for so long. But it is hands down the most boring class in the game by a longshot.

If they make PLD feel at least as fun as current WAR then i might become a tank main

but not really because they removed Bardcasting and fixed Enochian

This expansion is already aloooooooooooooot more than i expected to get, fuck me im wet right now

The reworking of every endgame class basically coming down to starting at your buff icons is a very welcome change. I'm digging this more active-based change on all the classes way more, it's almost like they've taken Warrior's class concept and applied it to every class in the game. Which is a good idea because Warrior is actually really fun to play.

The whole "build up and GO CRAZY" aspect is way better than "use this and use it again when the duration says +-3 seconds"

LowParry

I'm pretty sold on the Samurai. Even though everyone is probably going to play one, I still plan on maining one. Scholar comes second.

iammeiam

So I know parts of the thread have a low tolerance for physical ranged talk, but guys I think they nuked Foe Req:

Ballad, Paeon, Minuet, Paean

It makes it intensely frustrating that they didn't talk about either ranged job in-depth, because this is a pretty massive potential shift in our roles in groups.

But nah who cares

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom