• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Saw the floor 200, thought about it, went "Yep, this is the most FFXIV thing ever, of all time."

Still gonna try it.

Edit:
If you materia meld the 260 Scripture gear, will it stick around when you upgrade it to 270 gear?

No, it's a new item so you lose material and have to remeld post-upgrade.

Ogawa-san

I didn't want to watch that floor 200 boss video since I wanted to see it for myself, but it might take a while before they change the stupidity that is to make you redo 51-100 every time you wipe.

Teknoman

Durandal is cool, Japanese timezone too.

Saw this on my twitter timeline, someone soloed all 100 floors of PotD with a Dragoon. Wow.
CwPFiAkUsAAX_CZ.jpg

Edit:
Taken from reddit.

Edit 2:
There's going to be an emergency maintenance today:

Man I love those 2D sprites!

I noticed in 1.0 videos that some bosses have a huge health bar instead of just a normal sized one.

I wonder if they could do something like that for 4.0 since they are making changes to the battle system and adding visual bars for some things.

Like when the boss shows up a large healthbar appears at the top of the screen with some cool art/frame.

Cmagus

I noticed in 1.0 videos that some bosses have a huge health bar instead of just a normal sized one.

I wonder if they could do something like that for 4.0 since they are making changes to the battle system and adding visual bars for some things.

Like when the boss shows up a large healthbar appears at the top of the screen with some cool art/frame.

Those bars weren't bad but we literally had to download a 3rd party screen overlay and line it up with the bosses health bar so we could tell what the bosses health is at. This was so we knew when to stop pushing and at the time Garuda was some of the hardest content. If that thing wasn't lined up just right it could mean wiping and I remember Garuda was a big dps check that had to stop at 60% or it was a wipe.

LI%20Very%20Large.png

I wonder if they're planning on making any changes to the base global cooldown time.

After playing through some floors that had the haste effect (bumps it down close to 2 seconds IIRC) I thought it felt pretty snappy compared to normal, and then with GL3 I was punching/kicking things at crazy speeds. Even with the increased speed I didn't feel like I had any problem using OGCD moves in fact it felt smoother compared to no haste.

I wouldn't mind it they sped things up a bit with appropriate changes to TP/MP costs and what not.

Those bars weren't bad but we literally had to download a 3rd party screen overlay and line it up with the bosses health bar so we could tell what the bosses health is at. This was so we knew when to stop pushing and at the time Garuda was some of the hardest content. If that thing wasn't lined up just right it could mean wiping and I remember Garuda was a big dps check that had to stop at 60% or it was a wipe.

LI%20Very%20Large.png

They could do a better job of it now. You can already have it display the percentage at the end of the bar (which is what I have it set to) so I think it wouldn't be an issue anymore.

This is just a random idea I'm throwing out though. I don't actually expect them to change this since they probably don't see it as an issue, which it really isn't since the current HP bar fulfills its purpose. More of a visual flavour thing then UI utility.

EDIT: That floor 200 boss...

Cmagus

I wonder if they're planning on making any changes to the base global cooldown time.

After playing through some floors that had the haste effect (bumps it down close to 2 seconds IIRC) I thought it felt pretty snappy compared to normal, and then with GL3 I was punching/kicking things at crazy speeds. Even with the increased speed I didn't feel like I had any problem using OGCD moves in fact it felt smoother compared to no haste.

I wouldn't mind it they sped things up a bit with appropriate changes to TP/MP costs and what not.

They could do a better job of it now. You can already have it display the percentage at the end of the bar (which is what I have it set to) so I think it wouldn't be an issue anymore.

This is just a random idea I'm throwing out though. I don't actually expect them to change this since they probably don't see it as an issue, which it really isn't since the current HP bar fulfills its purpose. More of a visual flavour thing then UI utility.

EDIT: That floor 200 boss...

Yeah having that percentage is great. I also just saw the floor 200 boss video and I don't even know what to say ...

Qvoth

i mean even the reward is dumb
some furniture? an earring?
who the hell notices an earring?

edit: oh turns out there's 2 different kinds of reward?
each reward can become an earring or a furniture, so a total of 4 different kinds of items you can get

Apoptomon

That PotD 200
trolling
. That is great.
FF 12 did special boss HP bars too, didn't it? And there was one superboss that needed multiple bars to display all its HP? (I never got that in-depth) Wonder how that would be like in 14...

Omni

Three groups on Ultros cleared A12S tonight. That's pretty amazing.
Another two on Lamia did too. I think.

Have to admit, I feel like the difficulty of Savage is in a nice place. Sure there might be people wanting something more but for the most part, more groups getting clears is great.

Thorgal

Q is it normal to feel a bit squishy on war at lvl40?

I know stone vigil is the first real dungeon to take the training wheels of but I seemed to take more damage then usual.

Healer kept up well enough on two runs but still came close to death a few times.

ebil

Q is it normal to feel a bit squishy on war at lvl40?

I know stone vigil is the first real dungeon to take the training wheels of but I seemed to take more damage then usual.

Healer kept up well enough on two runs but still came close to death a few times.
It's just Stone Vigil. Definitely one of the harder dungeons in terms of damage taken.

Ogawa-san

Here we go with the weekly primal datacenter crash. This time I was deep into PotD...

I'd start considering a server transfer by now, if it wasn't a whooping $18.

iammeiam

I don't know if Primal's inability to stay up is the funniest thing, or this being the bug they patched in emergency maint on the 2nd being the funniest thing:
◆FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Nov. 2)◆

■ The following issue have been addressed.

・An issue wherein under certain conditions with the Adventurer Squadron, the server may shut down.

※Primarily there should only be up to 8 squadron members, but due to some issue, certain players may have over 9 members and when those characters speak to the Region’s “Personnel Officer”, the server may shut down. For this reason, we have addressed the issue on the character data so that certain players with over 9 squadron members will now have up to 8 members.

Pass the time waiting for Primal's return theorizing what other uncaught error handling is taking down servers!

Sorian

Banned
Wait.

The failsafe when there is impossible character data is just to auto turn off the entire server. SE pls, relax.

garath

Ok guys. I'm a newbie. Looking to progress through the lower level content pretty quickly though. Just pounding the main quest right now and doing some of the mandatory feeling side quests (class quests, retainer quest, etc). Is this the most efficient leveling way? Slowing down a lot in the 20s. Been doing levequests around the other things to buffer experience gain but still feels a bit slow.

Tips for leveling faster?

Ok guys. I'm a newbie. Looking to progress through the lower level content pretty quickly though. Just pounding the main quest right now and doing some of the mandatory feeling side quests (class quests, retainer quest, etc). Is this the most efficient leveling way? Slowing down a lot in the 20s. Been doing levequests around the other things to buffer experience gain but still feels a bit slow.

The main story quests with a few side quests mixed in should be enough for most of your experience for your main class. If you get to a point where you need more experience to unlock the next story quest, duty roulettes (leveling and guildhests for low level) and your hunting log are the simplest extra things to do.

Squishy3

Another two on Lamia did too. I think.

Have to admit, I feel like the difficulty of Savage is in a nice place. Sure there might be people wanting something more but for the most part, more groups getting clears is great.
I imagine the next raid cycle should be much better, because assuming the story/savage split again Creator's difficulty is probably what the first tier of Stormblood's should be, with it increasing each subsequent tier, instead of the sort of backwards progression we got with Alex where Gordias was the hardest dps check tier, while Midas was the hardest mechanic check tier and Creator sort of being a mixture of both (but with dps checks obviously being easier relative to current gear levels) but ultimately being easier in the long run.

The raiding scene seems in a pretty decent spot right now though since there's more weekly clear parties in PF each week than I saw in the Gordias/Midas era and for the most part all you saw for those was A1S and A5S weekly clears. Plus I've seen more learning parties going up in general. Still obviously not as huge as Gilgamesh but a definite imprrovement compared to the deadness Savage had in PF the last patches.

Creator should definitely be the template for the main raid difficulty moving forward. Sure there's plenty of room for improvement, specially once we get the 4.0 battle system changes in - enough phase pushing jesus christ - but overall this is the kind of content the raid scene needs. Now just add a true savage mode tuned for the top tier raiders with BIS gear in odd patches and we're gucci.

Cmagus

Kind of sucks they put a mount behind PVP ranking I mean wait times are still 30+ minutes long. It's a shame really I do enjoy collecting mounts but knowing I can never complete them makes me sad :(

Ogawa-san

I'm starting to feel kind of burnt out lately. I don't know what to do to kick myself out of it.
I start burning out when I slump back into currency capping and daily whatevers - GC deliveries, beast daiiles, etc.

Try something you haven't yet. I've just started working on solo PotD myself, before that it was finally giving a current primal EX a shot.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Did you pickup the challenge log? That gives a nice chunk of exp just for doing stuff you would normally do.

I'd skip doing levequest if you don't have to. Do main story quest, daily dungeon roulette, challenge log, hunting log, palace of the dead, and then fates if you're bored. You can also eat any food for a slight exp boost, equip a novice ring (reward for doing the training missions in the hall of novice) for a 30% exp boost till lv 30, join a fc for fc buffs (one of which is an exp buff), give a recruit code out to someone or take a code from someone if you're on your trial to receive an exp boost item for your alt classes, and always logout in a town to earn rested xp while away.

I start burning out when I slump back into currency capping and daily whatevers - GC deliveries, beast daiiles, etc.

Try something you haven't yet. I've just started working on solo PotD myself, before that it was finally giving a current primal EX a shot.
I have a Maurader/Warrior that i'm leveling and find that fun, but whenever i'm on I always feel like I should be working towards my Shire/Alex gear but don't end up doing that either.

Nephtis

Is the game worth getting back into? I've been considering buying the expansion and reactivating my account but the last time I played it was pretty much just solo and the guild/linkshell/whatever just didn't make a lot of sense.

I miss wow's sense of community in guilds, but I can't get back into the grind of it like before.

I have a Maurader/Warrior that i'm leveling and find that fun, but whenever i'm on I always feel like I should be working towards my Shire/Alex gear but don't end up doing that either.

Just do whatever you feel like and if you're really feeling burnt out take a break from the game. I know this is an MMO and all, but still, no point making this feel like a job if you're not getting paid.

Omni

Just do whatever you feel like and if you're really feeling burnt out take a break from the game. I know this is an MMO and all, but still, no point making this feel like a job if you're not getting paid.
Yeah. Who cares if you miss a few weeks or whatever of Shire and Alex gear? If you're reasonably geared from last tier, you should still be fine for the foreseeable future. Unless you're doing Savage or something, but even then it's kinda eeh.

Last time I got burnt out from tome grinding and the alike, I just ran stuff that I had been ignoring like Crystal Tower. Didn't really gain anything from it, but it was fun.

Squishy3

TIL some people think provoke is terrible because some tanks use it badly by pulling mobs while also acknowledging they're at fault for attacking mobs before a tank has actually established aggro by following up on the provoke. (Then presumably being a hindrance and running around like a chicken with its head cut off making it extremely difficult for the tank to take control of the mob.) If there's one thing I've learned playing the game for the past year and and a half, it's that tanks trying to regain aggro appreciate it if you stay still. It doesn't matter if you're a healer or a dps, you can probably take a few hits from most enemies and get healed back up just fine.

But anyway, back onto it, saying provoke is bad without taking into account how it's designed to work is like saying you might as well redesign all the blizzard spells for black mages because they can choose to do nothing but spam blizzard. It's not their fault blizzard does less damage than fire spells, they just want to cast ice spells!

yaffi

(Then presumably being a hindrance and running around like a chicken with its head cut off making it extremely difficult for the tank to take control of the mob.) If there's one thing I've learned playing the game for the past year and and a half, it's that tanks trying to regain aggro appreciate it if you stay still. It doesn't matter if you're a healer or a dps, you can probably take a few hits from most enemies and get healed back up just fine.

Rule of thumb as a tank: if you aggro something come to me so I can pick it off of you. Don't want to do that? Don't count on me running after you, because I don't care at all.

Qvoth

question regarding a12s gravity pools, are you supposed to move to middle during or after the boss finishes casting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom