• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apoptomon

Man, that Gridania music is really hitting the nostalgia, haha. It's so good!

Thanks!

Alright, I've got some quick questions:

1. What items should I keep and what can I safely sell?
2. Where should I sell my stuff? Does the identity or the location of the buyer matter, or will I get the same price everywhere?
3. I'm a level 30 lancer and I want to be a dragoon. Where should I put my stats when I level?
4. Is there some way to respec? I have no idea if I correctly allocated my stats three years ago.
5. Should I do every quest available in the base game (which would take a long time, I think?) or should I stick to the main story and move on to Heavensward when I'm done?

Thank you

Hmm...
1. not really sure, sorry
2. the games does apply city-state specific taxes to market board sales (i don't think it's that big a difference though) and I'm fairly certain vendor prices are the same everywhere
3. Lancer and DRG should priorotise Strength
4. You can get a stat respec item (Keepers Hymn) from your Grand Company
5. Probably prioritise MSQ and quests with a "Q+" icon (these unlock features/instances)

Qvoth

2. Where should I sell my stuff? Does the identity or the location of the buyer matter, or will I get the same price everywhere?
3. I'm a level 30 lancer and I want to be a dragoon. Where should I put my stats when I level?
4. Is there some way to respec? I have no idea if I correctly allocated my stats three years ago.
5. Should I do every quest available in the base game (which would take a long time, I think?) or should I stick to the main story and move on to Heavensward when I'm done?

Thank you

in case you didn't know, you can only bring cash of 1 million when server transferring, so most people spend their money on things like materia5s which is always a safe choice
maybe you can try making a new character on ultros and check their market board

each city has fluctuating tax (i think changes weekly) but it's generally about 5%, in my case i always teleport to the city that sells the item i'm going to buy because it's usually still cheaper than the tax

for drg, put all points into str, there's an item that your grand company sell that can respec

imo you should stick with MSQ and some side content that's needed for unlocking roulettes, it's probably going to take you a few weeks to catch up to the latest content
highly recommend you to follow this guide as you level up your 1st job http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression and Level Locked Content

garath

in case you didn't know, you can only bring cash of 1 million when server transferring, so most people spend their money on things like materia5s which is always a safe choice
maybe you can try making a new character on ultros and check their market board

each city has fluctuating tax (i think changes weekly) but it's generally about 5%, in my case i always teleport to the city that sells the item i'm going to buy because it's usually still cheaper than the tax

for drg, put all points into str, there's an item that your grand company sell that can respec

imo you should stick with MSQ and some side content that's needed for unlocking roulettes, it's probably going to take you a few weeks to catch up to the latest content
highly recommend you to follow this guide as you level up your 1st job http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression and Level Locked Content

Wow. I didn't do a quarter of those side quests myself. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

creid

That's tough without knowing what you have. Best bet is to check how much each item is selling for by having your retainer sell it and check the current prices. Anything selling for 1g is probably safe to sell. Some things aren't available in the game anymore, so if you're a collector you may want to hold on to things that have very few available for sale.

Omni

Why are the Eastern Cherry Trees so expensive? They're not crafted, right? Where are they even coming from?

Kenai

Why are the Eastern Cherry Trees so expensive? They're not crafted, right? Where are they even coming from?

A lot of people want them and they were only available during an event from...Spring 2015? or 14? and haven't been re released yet, even on the cash shop. And if you place it down it's stuck there forever unless you destroy it. The only ones left are the ones that have been sitting on player/retainer inventories since then.

I've had one for ages and been debating selling it. I am 99% sure they will be re-released in some fashion, but you never know.

Somnia

Well I'm back from my 2 month Legion adventure. Grew quickly bored of the WoW world and really enjoying being back in FFXIV's world, still leveling up!

Squishy3

aaaaaaand i'm done

qxJ4PdC.jpg

Thanks for answering my questions, guys.

I have a cracked materia, which is a legacy item from 1.0. Can I do something with it? Should I just sell it?

Also, in order to be able to switch servers, I need to "rehire my retainer". So I went to the NPC that lets you hire retainers, and I had to create a new one. Where can I get my retainer from 1.0?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for answering my questions, guys.

I have a cracked materia, which is a legacy item from 1.0. Can I do something with it? Should I just sell it?

Find an npc called the calamity salvager (near the Aftcastle in Limsa, somewhere else in bad other cities) and they should be able to swap it for new materia.

IvorB

Because Hunts ignore years of MMO design evolution. Turns out people are assholes and timed content for an entire server is asinine. Content that can be denied by one impatient idiot can go to hell. I had enough of this shit in Ragnarok, I have little patience for that kind of thing in 2016.

Except that it's not like that. Not on the server I'm on anyway. Hasn't been that way for years maybe...

Hunts aren't really the problem (well... they are kinda) it's the community. They've made them so... I dunno, mechanical? The need for everyone to be able to fight it makes it so lifeless that it's worse that instanced content.

I dunno, that what I say with a grain of salt I guess because I'm stayed clear of the content and the tantrums that surround it.

Nah, they can be good fun and also zergy sometimes but there f-all else to do in the open world besides FATE and those are only good when levelling.

Considering I'm level 31, should I keep weaker equipment for those things you listed, or should I just sell it?

Turn it into materia if you used a piece of equipment enough to get 100% spiritbond. That's unlikely to happen in the normal course of leveling, and at that level you probably won't have any gear that can be exchanged for seals (which typically have icons and names colored blue), so yeah, selling them is a safe course of action.

Qvoth

since you're leveling your main job, i recommend trading them for grand company seals
because i'm assuming you're going to level up mainly by msq, i don't think you'll get much gc seals
gc equipments are locked behind gc rank that you need to spend seals to rank up on, to buy those equipments you'll need gc seals too, those equipments generally are pretty decent way to increase your ilvl as well

Alright, thanks.

Should I be enlisted in a Grand Company by now or does that come later? Because I don't believe I am in one yet. I also don't know which I should chose.

suzu

Alright, thanks.

Should I be enlisted in a Grand Company by now or does that come later? Because I don't believe I am in one yet. I also don't know which I should chose.

You get to choose at level 20 if you've been keeping up with the MSQ. Choose whichever GC looks best to you.

Qvoth

gc doesn't matter, at the most it's just different equipments you can glamor
pretty sure you need to join a gc before you can get your 1st mount (chocobo)

Qvoth

generally the better looking gc equipments are maelstrom's (limsa) & immortal flames' (uldah's)
lore wise (around patch 2.4~2.5 content) immortal flames plays a more prominent role so that's a bonus :p

Ogawa-san

Who cares about looks, I go with the city where I can hit Return and find myself 3s away from the MB and my retainers.

Pirates forever!

But seriously, I'd be a Gridanian if Limsa wasn't so damn convenient. Ul'dah is straight up awful in this regard.

Sorian

Banned
Who cares about looks, I go with the city where I can hit Return and find myself 3s away from the MB and my retainers.

Pirates forever!

But seriously, I'd be a Gridanian if Limsa wasn't so damn convenient. Ul'dah is straight up awful in this regard.

I teleport to gaf house for all of these things. Even without gaf though, i can still set limsa to be my return point and still be in the best flames.

Pirates suck!

Jayhawk

I like having the MB right outside my house in Gridania. Makes it worth logging on when I get the demolition notice emails.

Reknoc

Well eventually you'll probably want to go with whoevers closest to aetheryte for your squadron stuff. So flames I guess?

Squishy3

Being ahead is better than not. I'm not sure how much they improved it with the post HW exp boosts to old content, but there were some painful gaps.
The uh 47-49 one's still there but that's alleviated heavily by POTD and leveling roulette. At least you don't need to do the slow gearing up process to get to ilvl 90 into Heavensward since the story just tosses you the soldiery gear now.

Well eventually you'll probably want to go with whoevers closest to aetheryte for your squadron stuff. So flames I guess?

Uldah is definitely the best for checking your squadron since the Flames HQ is right next to the aetheryte.

Limsa Lominsa for closest Market board.

Gridania for the closest inn I think.

Squishy3

Gridania has a pretty good setup for inn/squadron/marketboard since the inn and GC HQ are roughly the same distance and the marketboard is a short trek from the leatherworker guild aetheryte.

Nohar

GAF, I need insight regarding A9S. For an assumed ilvl 250 for everyone:
  • What should be the average DPS per job? Our usual party composition is the following: Dark Knight, Warrior, White Mage, Astrologian, Summoner, Black Mage, Ninja, Bard.
  • What is the average/recommended overheal for healers on this fight and others?
  • How do you address what you percieve as major issues with other players regarding their playstyle and/or overall involvement? (Can't go into further details, but I will say that I am making a case and that I want to settle things diplomaticaly). What do you consider to be the minimum when it comes to raids regarding equipment, materias, potions and food?

I can share the log in private if someone is interested in analysing our last A9S fight.

• What should be the average DPS per job? Our usual party composition is the following: Dark Knight, Warrior, White Mage, Astrologian, Summoner, Black Mage, Ninja, Bard.
  • What is the average/recommended overheal for healers on this fight and others?
  • How do you address what you percieve as major issues with other players regarding their playstyle and/or overall involvement? (Can't go into further details, but I will say that I am making a case and that I want to settle things diplomaticaly). What do you consider to be the minimum when it comes to raids regarding equipment, materias, potions and food?
1) Hard to say what the average DPS per job should be since this fight has a lot of AoE, which inflates DPS a lot, specially for jobs like SMN. Expect 2000+ per DPS job but don't worry too much about it as long as you're killing adds in time.
2) A9 healing is super simple. Your healers only have to worry about the MT 95% of the time. Hell, my group solo healed it a couple weeks back.
3) I expect players to do their homework in a static group. It doesn't have to be ultra optimal stuff with fully pentamelded gear, 4 star food and supermax pots HQ, but at the very least meld the gear they're using, use decent food and cap your tomes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

I can share the log in private if someone is interested in analysing our last A9S fight.

A9S has a whole bunch of low HP add situations that need to be dealt with and also Vuln Down mechanic in the middle that sort of caps DPS during Faust part so it's not easy to just ballpark a number and say something like "this is what you should all be benchmarking against" - I don't think our melee even hit every add wave anymore. A more consistent metric is group kill time; realistically you should be killing the boss shortly before the second double scrapline. That said, each DPS should be reaching 2000, WAR 1500-1600, healers a thousand between each other and MT... maybe 1100?

Overheal is a terrible and uninformative metric unless hate and/or MP become an issue.

To answer your last question... It all depends on your group. Before making any case you should make sure that every person on the team is actually on the same page regarding what they want out of raiding, and out of the party. Like... there's a big difference between, say, NESTs and EM and what they expect out of each other and raiding is very very different.

Nohar

Thank you very much for your input Stone Ocean and Frumix.

We downed A9S last night for the first time, right before the hard enrage, after 3 weeks of tries (2 sessions of 2 hours per week). We killed it in 9:02. Our speed ranking, at the time of this post, is 1169/1173.
We all use food (not the best ones, arguably, but level 59 to 60 food, depending on the person; our NIN is using the best food available for the record, not sure about the others, and I use Baked Pipira Pira).
As far as I know, no one is using potions, me included, although I have taken steps into changing that with an alchemist friend.

DPS was as follow:
  • Nohar (SMN) - 2261.9 - 24.73% (ilvl 253, equipment fully melded)
  • Bard - 1670.0 - 18.27%
  • Ninja - 1614.8 - 17.66%
  • Bard (BLM replacement; our usual player couldn't come) - 1327.5 - 14.52%
  • Warrior - 1014.0 - 11.09%
  • Dark Knight - 799.7 - 8.74%
  • White Mage - 359.5 - 3.93%
  • Astrologian - 96.4 - 1.05%
While we are happy to have down it, I have serious concerns about the other challenges, thus why I am looking for comparisons and advices.
If people are willing to take a look at the logs (uploaded on FFlogs), I can share them, just send me a private message.
Overall, I want our static to improve, and I am not happy with our performance, thus why I am taking action. I am also willing to question myself and improve, as I am fairly certain I can do better.

Your DPS should be fine if the BLM can pull his weight. Having two BRDs with no DRG crippled your RDPS considerably, specially since you guys have a double caster comp.

You shouldn't have many issues moving forward until Lapis phase in A11. A10 is also pretty soft DPS wise.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Thank you very much for your input Stone Ocean and Frumix.

We downed A9S last night for the first time, right before the hard enrage, after 3 weeks of tries (2 sessions of 2 hours per week). We killed it in 9:02. Our speed ranking, at the time of this post, is 1169/1173.
We all use food (not the best ones, arguably, but level 59 to 60 food, depending on the person; our NIN is using the best food available for the record, not sure about the others, and I use Baked Pipira Pira).
As far as I know, no one is using potions, me included, although I have taken steps into changing that with an alchemist friend.

DPS was as follow:
  • Nohar (SMN) - 2261.9 - 24.73% (ilvl 253, equipment fully melded)
  • Bard - 1670.0 - 18.27%
  • Ninja - 1614.8 - 17.66%
  • Bard (BLM replacement; our usual player couldn't come) - 1327.5 - 14.52%
  • Warrior - 1014.0 - 11.09%
  • Dark Knight - 799.7 - 8.74%
  • White Mage - 359.5 - 3.93%
  • Astrologian - 96.4 - 1.05%
While we are happy to have down it, I have serious concerns about the other challenges, thus why I am looking for comparisons and advices.
If people are willing to take a look at the logs (uploaded on FFlogs), I can share them, just send me a private message.
Overall, I want our static to improve, and I am not happy with our performance, thus why I am taking action. I am also willing to question myself and improve, as I am fairly certain I can do better.
Congrats on the clear, but beating it this close to enrage doesn't bode well for your damage. I doubt it's the gear or anything since I'm assuming everyone is getting their tomes and stuff, but there's definitely something missing. You can PM me your FFlogs if you want, and I can take a look.

I think all the non-healers in your group can do several hundred DPS more than what they're doing. The fight is very AoE heavy, so your melees should be doing more like 1800-2000+ (1800 is probably still a bit on the low side), and the jobs that are strong at AoE should be clearing 2000 comfortably. Probably in the mid 2000s or more, in a short fight.

One big thing to note is that the fight thrives on knowing when to pop your cooldowns and how to use your resources. The boss has very heavy damage resistance as long as it's tethered to Faust. So during Faust phase, everyone needs to save their cooldowns in the time between Faust dying and Faust getting melted by the lava pool. Once the tether disappears, THEN pop your cooldowns and burn the boss hard until the next phase.

For the adds, make sure to try to hold the groups of adds near the boss so that your players can AoE all of them at once. SMNs and SCHs can bane from the boss to the adds as well. Your WAR should be spamming Overpower on them because with that many targets, Overpower spam is the most AoE dps he can manage. TP is not much of an issue since he has Equilibrium. Your Ninja should probably be Goading your bard so that he can AoE spam more too.

Try to identify points in the fight where people are running around and not doing damage, or moving too much to handle mechanics when they don't need to. The alarum doesn't have that much health, so one or two DPS can handle it while the melees stick to the boss. That reduces melee downtime and should raise overall raid DPS.

Oh, I hadn't noticed AST was your cohealer and not your main healer. Seems to me he's not DPSing beyond the opener? There's no reason for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom