• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redx508

Have they said anything about how dropping support of the PS3 allowed them to do bigger and better stuff?

yes we getting a bigger inventory in 4.0 so that's one thing

keep in mind than ps3 only has 512mb of ram so with that gone who knows what else they can do now.

yes we getting a bigger inventory in 4.0 so that's one thing

keep in mind than ps3 only has 512mb of ram so with that gone who knows what else they can do now.

Although, in the translated interview with Famitsu posted earlier, Yoshida says that dropping PS3 support has nothing to do with the expansion of inventory and that memory problems are not something that was holding the game back.

Redx508

Although, in the translated interview with Famitsu posted earlier, Yoshida says that dropping PS3 support has nothing to do with the expansion of inventory and that memory problems are not something that was holding the game back.

just saw the post on reddit

I still think the old hardware was the problem. I remember drama telling me that the ps3 ver has cut backs on the UI.

Questions

1. How important are the defence ratings for armour?
2. Can I rely on the auto-equip recommended equipment function?

I'm asking because I just found some iron scale greaves and iron scale armour. Both offer much better defence against both melee and magic attacks than what I currently have equipped. However, they have lower stats bonuses (strength, determination, etc.). The auto-equip function seems to prefer the stats bonuses over the defence bonus.

Squishy3

As I understand it it was a combination of things: Upgrading the existing servers to be able to handle the increased inventory capacity but at the same time the amount of memory they can use for UI on screen was limited due to the PS3. (See: Party bonuses being moved to the party window when they added the TP gauge. Also TP gauge not showing numbers)

So since they no longer have to work around the PS3's memory limitations (they could probably have done it but it could have involved something like disabling expanded inventory on PS3 and only being able to view the tabs) they can fast track it since it's a common complaint.

Apoptomon

Regardless of whether they make use of the new countdown feature or <se.DangerBongos>, are pre-battle countdown macros generally considered useful or obnoxious (outside of raids)? I think I've only seen them used a couple of times, but I was thinking it might be handy to have one.

Also, tbh, while some of the things we've been told to please look forward to are intriguing, I can't help but feel kinda wary about the battle/skill system changes in terms of how classes feel/play. And while I can understand things like internal release / raging strikes being stripped from classes into cross-class, the translations's example of bio etc for debuffs seems a bit ??? as only ACN can use them as is (unless they're forking SCH into an Extra Job?)...

iammeiam

PS3 already doesn't have Expanded Inventory; their common excuse for inventory limitations has usually been the amount of data being transferred back and forth between the player and the server. Given that PS3 can already handle the armory chest which holds considerably more than inventory, they could have expanded on PS3 without much hassle by adding tabs and had it fit in memory constraints.

Questions

1. How important are the defence ratings for armour?
2. Can I rely on the auto-equip recommended equipment function?

I'm asking because I just found some iron scale greaves and iron scale armour. Both offer much better defence against both melee and magic attacks than what I currently have equipped. However, they have lower stats bonuses (strength, determination, etc.). The auto-equip function seems to prefer the stats bonuses over the defence bonus.

Does not at all matter until endgame; just let auto-equip suggest things until you hit 60 and have gear choices. As long as you're wearing something, and the iLevel of your gear is within like 10 of your current level, you're fine until 50. At 50 the main story quest will start throwing a ton of gear at you that will keep you at relatively OK gear levels until you get into HW, and then in HW you'll just follow a linear upgrade path until you eventually get to current endgame gear, at which point stat weights will start mattering.

Regardless of whether they make use of the new countdown feature or <se.DangerBongos>, are pre-battle countdown macros generally considered useful or obnoxious (outside of raids)? I think I've only seen them used a couple of times, but I was thinking it might be handy to have one.

Generally not worth it for dungeon content where you're just running end-to-end, but nice to have in 8-man content or 24-mans so people who want to can try to prep openers.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's useful for big fights like ex primals and raid bosses, but are generally overkill in easier content like dungeon bosses.

The standard for difficult raid bosses (ex primals, coil/alexander savage bosses) is around 15 seconds. For easier stuff like 24-man raid bosses and Alex Story bosses, I'd probably set it at around 10 seconds, and I wouldn't use one at all for dungeon bosses, or boss content that's badly outdated/outgeared.

Having said all that, be aware that every now and then there will be some "I'm not a part of your SYSTEM, MAN" moron who will deliberately pull early as soon as you pop a countdown timer of any sort.

I like having at least a 5 second countdown in dungeons so I can prepare to pull. I always tryhard even in faceroll content so let me do my pre-pull stuff damn it.

Hikami

2.5 story spoilers

They brought Moenbryda in just to kill her off not too long later? (&#12494;&#3232;&#30410;&#3232;)&#12494;&#24417;&#9531;&#9473;&#9531;
I was really liking her too. Really cool character. :I

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Sorry - another noob question.

What should I be doing as a fresh 50? I am going through story missions for now... should I be doing the Allagan blue w/ cross symbol quests too?

Is there a list of things I should be doing to progress?

Thanks!

suzu

Sorry - another noob question.

What should I be doing as a fresh 50? I am going through story missions for now... should I be doing the Allagan blue w/ cross symbol quests too?

Is there a list of things I should be doing to progress?

Thanks!

Yeah. Blue icon with a + means it unlocks something. Continue doing MSQ (main story quests).

Check this list: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content
Heavensward list: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Heavensward_Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

creid

PS3 already doesn't have Expanded Inventory; their common excuse for inventory limitations has usually been the amount of data being transferred back and forth between the player and the server. Given that PS3 can already handle the armory chest which holds considerably more than inventory, they could have expanded on PS3 without much hassle by adding tabs and had it fit in memory constraints.
I think the PS3's problem with expanded inventory was that it couldn't handle have 4x the number of inventory icons on screen at once.

First negative stuff I have to say about the game.

I did my second dungeon right now. I do not like how the loot is handled. "Need", "greed"? There shouldn't be such nonsense in 2016. Loot should be handled individually; each player gets a roll like in so many other games, such as Destiny and Diablo 3.

But the worst: when we got to the end of the dungeon, a cutscene started. I watched it. When it ended, I realized the other players had already started the boss fight, and not only that, but I was stuck outside the fighting zone! I couldn't even join my party. One of the guys died, but the other two quickly finished the boss.

This is super terrible design, wow. I don't know what to say about it except that the devs should do something about it. No way will I start doing dungeon runs en masse to get loot when at any time, someone I get partied with could be going through that dungeon for the first time and watch the cutscenes, only to get shut out of the boss fight. Terrible, really terrible.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I did my second dungeon right now. I do not like how the loot is handled. "Need", "greed"? There shouldn't be such nonsense in 2016. Loot should be handled individually; each player gets a roll like in so many other games, such as Destiny and Diablo 3.

But the worst: when we got to the end of the dungeon, a cutscene started. I watched it. When it ended, I realized the other players had already started the boss fight, and not only that, but I was stuck outside the fighting zone! I couldn't even join my party. One of the guys died, but the other two quickly finished the boss.

This is super terrible design, wow. I don't know what to say about it except that the devs should do something about it. No way will I start doing dungeon runs en masse to get loot when at any time, someone I get partied with could be going through that dungeon for the first time and watch the cutscenes, only to get shut out of the boss fight. Terrible, really terrible.

I like the loot system. I think it also really helps benefit new players, since they can get priority lotting on gear they can use by lotting need.

As for players skipping cut scenes, NEVER feel bad about watching them. There's a notice at the start of a dungeon if someone is new, but maybe let them know in case they miss it. You have every right to watch those cut scenes and I hate people who pressure new players into skipping them.

The dungeon cutscene complaint is one I completely agree with, and fortunately it's one the developers agree with as well as they totally got rid of them in Heavensward.

Squishy3

They learned their lessons with the cutscenes with 2.1 onwards but the 2 dungeons that finish off the 2.0 story are rife with cutscenes and should not be done via duty finder and instead by asking in your free company if some people would like to do it with you unsynced, or set up a party finder listing advertising you'd like to do it unsynced and watch the cutscenes, as well as advertising you have a bonus. You can do it with only 3 or 4 people now including yourself.

But a good way to do it is just kindly state you're new and that if there are any cutscenes in the dungeon that you'd like to watch them, excluding the 2 level 50 8 man dungeons.

Hikami

I finally made it to Ishgard &#12541;( &#65381;&#8704;&#65381;)&#65417;
Really liked the last few hours of the story before coming here.
WbDx81r.jpg

Already have a problem though.. Why did they change Alphinaud's voice actor? Damn do I hate when they do that. He sounds like a stranger to me now instead of the friend that I've come to know. :I

By the way, anyone know where I could find this image in the background from the credits?

Already have a problem though.. Why did they change Alphinaud's voice actor? Damn do I hate when they do that. He sounds like a stranger to me now instead of the friend that I've come to know. :I

Heavensward completely revamped the voice cast and voice direction, which is a gigantic improvement in every way over the bland English voice acting of A Realm Reborn.

Good point, I don't think any PC can have smooth S ranks.

Lower the amount of visible PC's in the system settings. I run a GTX 780, 8GB ram and a 3.4ghz Processor and get locked 60fps at all times, even S ranks and towns. Max settings, besides the number of visible characters. 1080p.

Also enjoying the new PotD floors. The cutscenes and TO music just gives it a great atmosphere. Was surprised to see weapon levels actually matter, just wiped on floor 100 due to sub par DPS. Nice to see it isn't TOO much of a faceroll.

Squishy3

By the way, anyone know where I could find this image in the background from the credits?

Here you go

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished PotD 51-100 3 times over the weekend, got my equipment to 88/92. Since I'm still using the 30/30 PotD weapon on my class, I want to turn in those 60 levels, but only after I solo the whole thing.

That said, my 2 attempts yesterday were laughable:
1. SMN, smooth sailing until F20 boss, die to the 2 hornets, because I thought I can burn the boss fast enough and I ignored them. Big mistake.
2. DRG (since it seems to be a good class with high def, dmg, and life leech). Got to floor ~14, everything was dying in 2-4 hits, it was going much faster than with the SMN. While fighting the snake enemy I take a step in the wrong direction, become a frog and die from OHKO "Devour".

I hope I'll do better today.
Lower the amount of visible PC's in the system settings. I run a GTX 780, 8GB ram and a 3.4ghz Processor and get locked 60fps at all times, even S ranks and towns. Max settings, besides the number of visible characters. 1080p.

Also enjoying the new PotD floors. The cutscenes and TO music just gives it a great atmosphere. Was surprised to see weapon levels actually matter, just wiped on floor 100 due to sub par DPS. Nice to see it isn't TOO much of a faceroll.
That's the obvious way of addressing the problem, but I want to be able to see EVERYONE!

Qvoth

i think you're confusing the loot system, it's exactly like you said, but the class of the equipment gets priority because they're the only ones that are able to click need
so let's say you're a tank and the tank gear dropped, since it's a 4 man dungeon, that means you're the only tank and thus you're the only person that can roll need
rolling need ALWAYS beats greed, even if it's smaller roll, so a roll 1 need will beat a roll 99 greed

regarding people not waiting, yeah that's pretty shitty, if i'm in an old dungeon and there's the 1st time bonus notice i'll know that there's a new player and will just take it slow, afaik japanese players are like this as well, they're generally more polite

Moaradin

Every character got a new voice in Heavensward. The voice acting and direction in general is a lot better. Old Alphinaud was probably one of the better voices in A Realm Reborn, but the new voice is probably a bit more fitting for his character.

Bouniter

So I finally got through the ARR story with the help of several fellow Gaffers taking me through the last 3 Dungeons.

I took some screenshots as we ran through so as a final thankyou to Coco, Choco, Elliot, Xtech, Tomo and Red (before he left for bed) I thought Id post them up. Seemingly the Lalas wanted to be in the shots more the anyone else sorry Elliot.

Spoiler tagged in case anyone new doesn't the finales spoiled of course.

http://imgur.com/a/7RXlx (Link to the album as spoiler image tags are not working)

Could not get the images into the spoiler tags and have no idea what I was doing wrong (looking at an old gaf thread it should just work?) so all deleted for now

Seriously though Thanks to all of you for your time and patience waiting for me to enjoy the story I'd never have imagined it would take close to 4 hours to finish.

I've now managed to gear up to just past ilvl 90 and am working on all of the many side quests I unlocked after completion. Just finished the Story Never Told quest which was a lot of fun, taking up several pages in my little FFXIV notebook working out all the riddles. Now working my through the Hildibrand quests which frankly have been golden.

I really hope the quoted spoiler tagged images work isn't something I've done before (they didn't ;_;)

Errr can someone tell me of those images are covered by the spoilers and I can just always see them or if they are actually covered? because I think they should be working

yaffi

You should put some of these screenshots in spoiler tags. We have other people in here who started playing recently.

edit: If you used spoiler tags, it's not working.

Bouniter

You should put some of these screenshots in spoiler tags. We have other people in here who started playing recently.

edit: If you used spoiler tags, it's not working.

I did it caught all the text but not the images so not sure what I'm doing wrong from what I read it should just catch them automatically =(

Deleted them all for now until someone can set me straight.

Edit testing: I went back to find another post with a spoiler tagged image and could see that as well even though it was done the same way I was doing it, so thought I'd throw up a test because it makes me suspicious that spoiler tagged images might be broken.

That's it no reason it shouldn't be working feel free to check me though in case I'm being really stupid.

Ogawa-san

i think you're confusing the loot system, it's exactly like you said, but the class of the equipment gets priority because they're the only ones that are able to click need
so let's say you're a tank and the tank gear dropped, since it's a 4 man dungeon, that means you're the only tank and thus you're the only person that can roll need
rolling need ALWAYS beats greed, even if it's smaller roll, so a roll 1 need will beat a roll 99 greed
He's talking about personal loot. As in, each one gets their individual shot at getting something from a boss, and you're not rolling against each other.

The dungeon cutscene complaint is one I completely agree with, and fortunately it's one the developers agree with as well as they totally got rid of them in Heavensward.

They learned their lessons with the cutscenes with 2.1 onwards but the 2 dungeons that finish off the 2.0 story are rife with cutscenes and should not be done via duty finder and instead by asking in your free company if some people would like to do it with you unsynced, or set up a party finder listing advertising you'd like to do it unsynced and watch the cutscenes, as well as advertising you have a bonus. You can do it with only 3 or 4 people now including yourself.

But a good way to do it is just kindly state you're new and that if there are any cutscenes in the dungeon that you'd like to watch them, excluding the 2 level 50 8 man dungeons.

I see, thank you. It's weird that they didn't patch this update for the vanilla dungeons. Oh well. I imagine there won't be any reason for me to do these dungeons once I get to Heavensward anyway.

regarding people not waiting, yeah that's pretty shitty, if i'm in an old dungeon and there's the 1st time bonus notice i'll know that there's a new player and will just take it slow, afaik japanese players are like this as well, they're generally more polite

He's talking about personal loot. As in, each one gets their individual shot at getting something from a boss, and you're not rolling against each other.

^^yes, this is what I meant. It's good that the jobs get the "need" for their equipment, but that still means that the other players won't get loot in that particular chest, because that equipment was rolled for the whole party instead of having every player get their own loot. This really lowers my excitement of doing dungeons or raids, because it dramatically lowers my chance of getting loot. In Destiny, whenever someone raids, they always get loot. Sometimes they get something they already have, but that is certainly better (and much less frustrating) than not getting anything at all because someone else got it.

neoemonk

That guy playing on four controllers really puts me to shame. I picked up FF XIV on PS3 on sale once upon a time, although I primarily play on PC. My video card fried on me and I'm waiting for a replacement, and since I took the free upgrade on PS4 and snagged Heavensward on sale a while back, I can still play, but I really struggle with combat on the controller. Now I feel like I have no excuse though.

I see, thank you. It's weird that they didn't patch this update for the vanilla dungeons. Oh well. I imagine there won't be any reason for me to do these dungeons once I get to Heavensward anyway.

I'm not sure how they would update the original dungeons to remove their cutscenes unless they totally revamped the dungeon designs. For the two final 2.0 dungeons, in which cutscenes are most prevalent, the cutscenes and hence the storytelling are so intricately woven into the dungeon design that it would take a good deal of rejiggering to eliminate them. I guess that's one of the downsides of an MMO: it's easy to substantially adjust your approach to developing content going forward based on player reaction, but it's not easy to substantially adjust the content you've already released.

Jaeyden

This really lowers my excitement of doing dungeons or raids, because it dramatically lowers my chance of getting loot. In Destiny, whenever someone raids, they always get loot. Sometimes they get something they already have, but that is certainly better (and much less frustrating) than not getting anything at all because someone else got it.

Yeah, but Destiny doesn't have tens of thousands of different items in the game...nor does it have as many classes and pieces to equip. It just wouldn't be feasible for the developers to make that many different pieces of gear, especially for the low level dungeons. Give it some more time, you might see why things are the way they are.

Qvoth

^^yes, this is what I meant. It's good that the jobs get the "need" for their equipment, but that still means that the other players won't get loot in that particular chest, because that equipment was rolled for the whole party instead of having every player get their own loot. This really lowers my excitement of doing dungeons or raids, because it dramatically lowers my chance of getting loot. In Destiny, whenever someone raids, they always get loot. Sometimes they get something they already have, but that is certainly better (and much less frustrating) than not getting anything at all because someone else got it.

dungeon loot is really bad in this game though lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I think that doing dungeon loot the way it is has 2 main reasons:
- The game is subscription based, unlike Diablo and Destiny - the more times you have to do the same tasks to get what you want, the better for SE.
- Early dungeon pink background loot has randomized stats, but later level green and blue loot has normalized stats (afaik), so you would be able to collect full sets in no time.

I'm not sure how they would update the original dungeons to remove their cutscenes unless they totally revamped the dungeon designs. For the two final 2.0 dungeons, in which cutscenes are most prevalent, the cutscenes and hence the storytelling are so intricately woven into the dungeon design that it would take a good deal of rejiggering to eliminate them. I guess that's one of the downsides of an MMO: it's easy to substantially adjust your approach to developing content going forward based on player reaction, but it's not easy to substantially adjust the content you've already released.

They didn't need to remove the cutscenes. Just make it that when a cutscene starts, everyone has to vote to skip it to actually skip it. If one person doesn't vote to skip it, then everyone watches the cutscene. There are games that do this and it works well. If a player wants to be sure not to watch cutscenes, then he should play with people he knows instead of going through matchmaking.

It doesn't seem hard to implement.

Yeah, but Destiny doesn't have tens of thousands of different items in the game...nor does it have as many classes and pieces to equip. It just wouldn't be feasible for the developers to make that many different pieces of gear, especially for the low level dungeons. Give it some more time, you might see why things are the way they are.

If FFXIV has tens of thousands of items, it seems to be another argument in favour of guaranteeing loot for every one.

The game is subscription based, unlike Diablo and Destiny - the more times you have to do the same tasks to get what you want, the better for SE.

Yeah, this is surely it. It's standard MMO design: make every thing take a little longer than it should so players pay more money to Square in the long run.

Omni

I did it caught all the text but not the images so not sure what I'm doing wrong from what I read it should just catch them automatically =(

Deleted them all for now until someone can set me straight.

Edit testing: I went back to find another post with a spoiler tagged image and could see that as well even though it was done the same way I was doing it, so thought I'd throw up a test because it makes me suspicious that spoiler tagged images might be broken.

That's it no reason it shouldn't be working feel free to check me though in case I'm being really stupid.
Maybe just link the images in a url tag and give a description if they might be spoilerish? People will click if they're interested and no one gets spoiled

yaffi

They didn't need to remove the cutscenes. Just make it that when a cutscene starts, everyone has to vote to skip it to actually skip it. If one person doesn't vote to skip it, then everyone watches the cutscene. There are games that do this and it works well. If a player wants to be sure not to watch cutscenes, then he should play with people he knows instead of going through matchmaking.

It doesn't seem hard to implement.

This would result in one of the following:

1. Vote kick/abandon would pop up instantly.
2. People would leave left and right.
3. Back to awesome queue times in story dungeons (read: awful waiting times)

I get the frustration. To see all this cool loot show up, but it's maybe not for your class or you roll low and you get nothing. But if you got a piece of loot for your current class with every chest or set of chests in a dungeon, you would get a full set of gear in 1.5 runs of the same dungeon. That just doesn't seem like something they'd do. It's too easy.

But as some other folks said, if the loot is for your class, hit Need and it's yours.

And yes, you'll have reason to re-play those dungeons as you level up. In later levels, you get access to Dungeon Roulette (and eventually other systems), which gives you an exp bonus for essentially helping lower level players to get through the story. It's very likely that the three people in your party were much higher level, but their levels had been synched down to 15. They got a bonus for helping you.

And they'll probably let you have every piece of loot in every dungeon you run up through lvl 50. Even if you can't equip it, you will unlock systems that give you rewards for loot you can't use.

I would say that a lot of people will wait for you to watch the cutscenes. Maybe not most, but a LOT of folks I've played with are nice like that. The only dungeons I had trouble with in this regard were the last two in the ARR storyline, and it was a bummer.

But you can go back to your Inn room and watch the cutscenes there if you miss anything. It's less than ideal, but it's a nice feature.

yaffi

Dungeon loot doesn't even really matter in this game.

When you're 60 you get tomes and exchange these for gear. So you somehow get what you wish for.

This would result in one of the following:

1. Vote kick/abandon would pop up instantly.
2. People would leave left and right.
3. Back to awesome queue times in story dungeons (read: awful waiting times)

Dungeon loot doesn't even really matter in this game.

When you're 60 you get tomes and exchange these for gear. So you somehow get what you wish for.

Ah, I see. That's a relief.

I get the frustration. To see all this cool loot show up, but it's maybe not for your class or you roll low and you get nothing. But if you got a piece of loot for your current class with every chest or set of chests in a dungeon, you would get a full set of gear in 1.5 runs of the same dungeon. That just doesn't seem like something they'd do. It's too easy.

But as some other folks said, if the loot is for your class, hit Need and it's yours.

And yes, you'll have reason to re-play those dungeons as you level up. In later levels, you get access to Dungeon Roulette (and eventually other systems), which gives you an exp bonus for essentially helping lower level players to get through the story. It's very likely that the three people in your party were much higher level, but their levels had been synched down to 15. They got a bonus for helping you.

And they'll probably let you have every piece of loot in every dungeon you run up through lvl 50. Even if you can't equip it, you will unlock systems that give you rewards for loot you can't use.

I would say that a lot of people will wait for you to watch the cutscenes. Maybe not most, but a LOT of folks I've played with are nice like that. The only dungeons I had trouble with in this regard were the last two in the ARR storyline, and it was a bummer.

But you can go back to your Inn room and watch the cutscenes there if you miss anything. It's less than ideal, but it's a nice feature.

Cool, thanks. I didn't know we could rewatch cutscenes. Where's my inn room?

Cool, thanks. I didn't know we could rewatch cutscenes. Where's my inn room?

There are inns in each of the three main cities (and Ishgard when you unlock it). Go to the Adventurer's Guild, where you pick up levequests, and there'll be an innkeep you can talk to in that area to get into an inn room.

wamberz1

Hey all, I have a question.
So right now I'm level 55, and I was wondering when I should start trying the harder ARR content. Like Extreme, Odin, raids and all that? Should I wait to get to level 60, or does the level sync make it not matter? Also, is it absolutely imperative that I play with people I know?

Bumping cause I really want to start trying the harder stuff, unless I should wait until I'm 60.

Also Bismark's phase 2 theme was dope, I really love the musical variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom