• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping cause I really want to start trying the harder stuff, unless I should wait until I'm 60.

Also Bismark's phase 2 theme was dope, I really love the musical variety.

You'll be fine to try any ARR stuff if you're level 55 as long as your item level meets the requirements. Your level will be synched down.

aceface

Bumping cause I really want to start trying the harder stuff, unless I should wait until I'm 60.

Also Bismark's phase 2 theme was dope, I really love the musical variety.

Heavensward extreme primals or raids, wait for 60. I don't think you can even unlock them until 60 anyways. ARR extreme primals and raids, go ahead and do now. Or to put it simply: anything you can unlock, go ahead and do.

Dunno if anyone knows the answer, but:

1) My lorebook says shipped on SE store, but there's no tracking or even a date for when it shipped. Is that how it's supposed to be?

2) Anyone know why the soundtracks they sell now only have like 12 tracks instead of the 50+ track soundtracks they used to release?

wamberz1

You'll be fine to try any ARR stuff if you're level 55 as long as your item level meets the requirements. Your level will be synched down.

Heavensward extreme primals or raids, wait for 60. I don't think you can even unlock them until 60 anyways. ARR extreme primals and raids, go ahead and do now. Or to put it simply: anything you can unlock, go ahead and do.

Cool, Thanks. In that case duty finder extreme, here I come!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cool, Thanks. In that case duty finder extreme, here I come!

Might want to look at the party finder. Especially in regards to ARR EX primals (and the first two Heavensward EX primals, Bismark and Ravana), you will often find groups doing all of them throughout the week. People are trying to get stamps in their weekly Cat-Girl book, and there is a bonus if a new person is in the fight. Even if you're not lvl 60, you'll probably be welcomed with open arms by people wanting that bonus.

iammeiam

Just to be contrary: If you're after the challenge aspect, PF for quick clears won't do it for you. You can solo or duo all of the EX primals from ARR at this point on the right job(s) as a 60, and by the time you hit four or five people you'll steamroll everything and likely miss that fights even have mechanics.

DF enforcing level sync preserves some of the challenge, and sometimes you'll find groups or linkshells in PF devoted to level-synced runs, but if you want the challenge more than just the clear avoid unsynced PFs.

wamberz1

Might want to look at the party finder. Especially in regards to ARR EX primals (and the first two Heavensward EX primals, Bismark and Ravana), you will often find groups doing all of them throughout the week. People are trying to get stamps in their weekly Cat-Girl book, and there is a bonus if a new person is in the fight. Even if you're not lvl 60, you'll probably be welcomed with open arms by people wanting that bonus.

I thought that joining parties in PF without a clear is considered bad etiquette unless it's specified that you can. I remember someone making this huge rant on the subreddit just last week because someone joined one of them without a clear.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I thought that joining parties in PF without a clear is considered bad etiquette unless it's specified that you can. I remember someone making this huge rant on the subreddit just last week because someone joined one of them without a clear.
When I want to do that, I usually just send a /tell to the party leader, tell him about my progress and ask politely if I can join. Usually they politely refuse, but sometimes they let me in.

Qvoth

that's for farming PF
just make a PF yourself, and on the comments mention that you'll have 1st timer bonus

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

If they're farming, then yes, you probably don't want to join, but if they're doing book stickers (often abbreviated as WT on the party finder description), sent the leader a /tell and ask. People want the bonus of a new person for the Wondrous Tails book.

wamberz1

When I want to do that, I usually just send a /tell to the party leader, tell him about my progress and ask politely if I can join. Usually they politely refuse, but sometimes they let me in.

that's for farming PF
just make a PF yourself, and on the comments mention that you'll have 1st timer bonus

If they're farming, then yes, you probably don't want to join, but if they're doing book stickers (often abbreviated as WT on the party finder description), sent the leader a /tell and ask. People want the bonus of a new person for the Wondrous Tails book.
Gotcha, thanks. I'll give PF a shot then.

Ken

Wi72uf0.png

popoto

Stargypsy

Heya Gaf,
My wife and I are coming back to the game sometime this week. We took a break just before the Golden Saucer was added. We had played separately with one PS4 but separate accounts before, but my wife bought me a PSPro for my birthday, So we thought It would be fun to actually play together.

Just a few questions.

1. We both have 50's, a Paladin and a Summoner. But I honestly don't remember much from my previous playtime. Start over? If I recall correctly it doesn't take long to get to 50 and I could use a refresher on the story. Or grab a couple of DPS and run dungeons with an explicit warning it might be a little rough starting out to get the mechanics down again.

2. We are planning on applying to the gaf guild and our characters are already on Ultros. Just wondering if there are any other players in the guild in the same situation? Either returning after a long absence or just starting out.

Our copies of Heavensward should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back into the game.

Ken

Heya Gaf,
My wife and I are coming back to the game sometime this week. We took a break just before the Golden Saucer was added. We had played separately with one PS4 but separate accounts before, but my wife bought me a PSPro for my birthday, So we thought It would be fun to actually play together.

Just a few questions.

1. We both have 50's, a Paladin and a Summoner. But I honestly don't remember much from my previous playtime. Start over? If I recall correctly it doesn't take long to get to 50 and I could use a refresher on the story. Or grab a couple of DPS and run dungeons with an explicit warning it might be a little rough starting out to get the mechanics down again.

2. We are planning on applying to the gaf guild and our characters are already on Ultros. Just wondering if there are any other players in the guild in the same situation? Either returning after a long absence or just starting out.

Our copies of Heavensward should be arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back into the game.

1. nooo

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Dunno if anyone knows the answer, but:

1) My lorebook says shipped on SE store, but there's no tracking or even a date for when it shipped. Is that how it's supposed to be?

2) Anyone know why the soundtracks they sell now only have like 12 tracks instead of the 50+ track soundtracks they used to release?

I got my tracking number in email a few days after the status said shipped on the store.

The main OSTs still have tons of tracks.

IvorB

Gotcha, thanks. I'll give PF a shot then.

I co-sign what Angry said. Joining a tales party for a level 50 fight is basically not doing the fight at all unless you just want the clear. They'll burn down the boss in seconds and you won't really be doing the fight. I don't think there's much point to that unless you just want the clear.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Heya Gaf,

Just a few questions.

You probably don't need to start over. 0-50 probably takes about two weeks of hard play? Maybe a month of more casual play? Though it might be fun to go through all of it together with your wife.

If you don't want to start over, the inn has all the cutscenes that you saw throughout the game, so you can try going over those to refresh yourself on the story.

As for playing your jobs, you could try poking at a dummy for a bit or something to refamiliarize yourself with how your job works.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Do you think Heavensward will go on sale for $10 again during Black Friday or near Christmas?
Do you get any free play time if you buy an expansion pack like you do when you first buy the full game?

Speaking of which, any recommendations on ninja/bard/machinist gear (looks only)? They haven't put out an Eorzea Catalog this year and I'm catching up on a year of not playing.

Ghost Thief set for Ninja. An alternate colour set is available for Bard/Machinist, both in Morianne Arboretum and Pharos Sirius HM. Looks great for glamour imo.

wamberz1

Just to be contrary: If you're after the challenge aspect, PF for quick clears won't do it for you. You can solo or duo all of the EX primals from ARR at this point on the right job(s) as a 60, and by the time you hit four or five people you'll steamroll everything and likely miss that fights even have mechanics.

DF enforcing level sync preserves some of the challenge, and sometimes you'll find groups or linkshells in PF devoted to level-synced runs, but if you want the challenge more than just the clear avoid unsynced PFs.

I co-sign what Angry said. Joining a tales party for a level 50 fight is basically not doing the fight at all unless you just want the clear. They'll burn down the boss in seconds and you won't really be doing the fight. I don't think there's much point to that unless you just want the clear.

Got it, I'll definitely avoid unsynced then.
I DF'd Garuda EX and downed her on my first try. I know shes the easiest but it still felt damn good.
hey when you get on send a ingame application.
Done, I'm in, thanks :)

Once I hit the level cap with my curent job, would it be preferable to switch to another one on the same character or should I create a new job with a new character? In other words, is there any incentive to create a new character over having my original character learn new jobs? I really don't want to have to redo the entire storyline, haha. It's so long.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Once I hit the level cap with my curent job, would it be preferable to switch to another one on the same character or should I create a new job with a new character? In other words, is there any incentive to create a new character over having my original character learn new jobs? I really don't want to have to redo the entire storyline, haha. It's so long.

No, you can level as many jobs as you want on a single character. Though inventory might become more strained. Make sure you hire your two retainers ASAP.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Retainer

Hikami

There's incentive to level another job on the same character instead. You get an exp boost when leveling another job if its level is lower than your highest job.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There are incentives for having more classes on the same character:
- Each class on lv 30 needs 2 other ones on lv 15 to unlock a job for that class.
- Each class can use cross class skills from the above mentioned 2 classes.
- From what I understand it's nearly impossible to be a good endgame crafter without cross class skills from other crafting classes.
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Jobs

Edit:
The above too, the exp bonus is really neat.

No, you can level as many jobs as you want on a single character. Though inventory might become more strained. Make sure you hire your two retainers ASAP.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Retainer

Thanks!

There's incentive to level another job on the same character instead. You get an exp boost when leveling another job if its level is lower than your highest job.

Oh that is great.

There are incentives for having more classes on the same character:
- Each class on lv 30 needs 2 other ones on lv 15 to unlock a job for that class.
- Each class can use cross class skills from the above mentioned 2 classes.
- From what I understand it's nearly impossible to be a good endgame crafter without cross class skills from other crafting classes.
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Jobs

Edit:
The above too, the exp bonus is really neat.

Thanks

So those crafting classes, what are they good for exactly? I have yet to start any of them from their respective guilds. If I had to guess, I'd say they serve a purpose for end-game equipment crafting, or something like that. I've been selling every crafting item I found so far, but should I start storing them for later use? I imagine these classes level up by doing some crafting. But should I even level them up? All of them or only some of them (considering I'm a DPS)?

dramatis

So those crafting classes, what are they good for exactly? I have yet to start any of them from their respective guilds. If I had to guess, I'd say they serve a purpose for end-game equipment crafting, or something like that. I've been selling every crafting item I found so far, but should I start storing them for later use? I imagine these classes level up by doing some crafting. But should I even level them up? All of them or only some of them (considering I'm a DPS)?
Stock crafting stuff when you really do want to level crafting.

There are uses for crafting at endgame, but overall crafting as an activity is engaging enough on its own. However, it's much better when you have abilities from multiple classes.

Aside from endgame equipment, crafting also yields buffs via foods and potions, special outfits, minions, furniture, and some items used in other game systems.

So... you're saying crafting is not necessary?

It's not necessary if you want to just play through the main storyline and combat content. And if you want some high-end equipment or housing items or orchestrion rolls or the like, you can find some crafter in a free company or elsewhere to make the stuff for you. Crafting can be a good source of money, but you're going to have to invest a lot of time and money into leveling the classes first (and probably the gathering classes too for materials) before you see good returns.

If you want any gil it certainly is. Unless something's changed since I've been away but I've basically ignored crafting and I'm constantly skirting the eorzean poverty line.

Is Gil really necessary? I thought the endgame equipment needed "tomes" (or something like that) to be bought?

I'm level 41, and so far, I've never had to use Gil much. Almost never, really. I bought Gysahl Greens and bread... I think that's it.

It's not necessary if you want to just play through the main storyline and combat content. And if you want some high-end equipment or housing items or orchestrion rolls or the like, you can find some crafter in a free company or elsewhere to make the stuff for you. Crafting can be a good source of money, but you're going to have to invest a lot of time and money into leveling the classes first (and probably the gathering classes too for materials) before you see good returns.

I see. So people become crafters just for the money?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Make money and save money. Housing items are incredibly expensive. So if you try and buy a house or apartment, be ready to pay.

Crafting made it very cheap to furnish my house when I got one. I saw some items on the Market Board going for 50-100k and the materials maybe cost 5k.

Make money and save money. Housing items are incredibly expensive. So if you try and buy a house or apartment, be ready to pay.

Crafting made it very cheap to furnish my house when I got one. I saw some items on the Market Board going for 50-100k and the materials maybe cost 5k.

Are there any practical uses for housing, or is it just for aesthetics?

Omni

They're just a bit of fun. Can decorate and stuff however you want. Massive gil sink though. I've spent millions doing mine.

They have some use, I suppose. For example, my house is near a MB and has melders and menders set up inside. I'm usually at it when I'm logged in. Nice change of scenery from Idyllshire or whatever constantly.

aceface

If you want any gil it certainly is. Unless something's changed since I've been away but I've basically ignored crafting and I'm constantly skirting the eorzean poverty line.

You can make a lot of gil just doing treasure maps and selling the stuff you get. I know one lalafell who made millions just buying and doing one of each map every day.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
With deep dungeon, you can even make quite a lot of cash leveling - sell those Savage Might materias and all the stuff from random drops. I think I made a million in a week or two, just doing a few sets of floors every day. While hardly a fortune, especially compared to an endgame crafter, I didn't have to go out of my way for that money.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Mostly aesthetics, but there are some convenience functions. You can place housing food items (which aren't as good as raid foods), place a summoning bell for retainers, an FC chest if it's an FC house, and some simple vendor NPCs that usually sell stuff (like crafting items, dyes, and repair items) that can often be found elsewhere, but it's convenient to have them all in one place for you.

There's also a materia melder NPC you can hire, who will do guaranteed melds for you for 1k a pop, but won't do overmelds.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
yo, how do you get past floor 100? I finally got to floor 100 and heard there were more floors
1. Be in a fixed party.
2. Get to floor 100 (can start from 51 iirc) without a party wipe.
3. Keep going.

The only way.

iammeiam

Best part of leveling crafters is being able to self-repair mid-combat.

yo, how do you get past floor 100? I finally got to floor 100 and heard there were more floors

You need to be in a fixed party, not matched, and start together at level 51. Then, provided you don't wipe, you can continue to floor 101.

If you use a matched party, you can't go beyond 100. If you wipe after 51, you can't go beyond 100.

So... you're saying crafting is not necessary?

Others above have mentioned it can be for useful for obtaining gil (for housing/apartments, expensive items on the marketboard etc) but the best thing about having all crafters up for me is being able to repair your gear on the go.

I've only got them up to 50 (apart from weaver who is at 60 and leatherworker who is at 57) but it's such a useful thing to be able to repair my gear in instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom