• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any point of using the 2nd new AST card? I mean maybe as an Aoe heal under Royal roaded spire it would work but yeah it seems a lot more useless than the other new card which gives AST a potential nuke to use under enhanced balance.

iammeiam

Is there any point of using the 2nd new AST card? I mean maybe as an Aoe heal under Royal roaded spire it would work but yeah it seems a lot more useless than the other new card which gives AST a potential nuke to use under enhanced balance.

Both new cards are basically 'instead of clicking off this card I don't want'; so if you have Ewer RR'd for Expanded and you draw Spear and shuffle into Ewer or something, instead of clicking it off/re-RRing it to zero gain you hit Minor Arcana and get either a free oGCD heal or a free oGCD nuke. You can wait around for a convenient time to use either, but by converting it to Lord or Lady Draw's timer starts ticking down again. Using them ignores your normal card stuff, so it won't eat your RR. it's just turning the old cards you used to throw into the trash into something you get a little freebie utility out of.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
/p Ry&#363;jin no ken wo kurae! <se.1><se.2><se.3><se.4><se.5><se.6>

I'll take a million of those over BANKAI.

And nobody's going to make a costume for Haohmaru it's all going to be a see of Hanzos and Ichigos. People can't even weeb right, it's disgraceful.

Omnicent

I'll take a million of those over BANKAI.

And nobody's going to make a costume for Haohmaru it's all going to be a see of Hanzos and Ichigos. People can't even weeb right, it's disgraceful.

I'm going to make a Jinnosuke (Afro Samurai) with the chocobo head (do we have giant toy bear head glam?). No one steal my glam idea please.
Won't be accurate since my character is female and there is no dual wield, but I think I can make it work.
I'll have a back up glam with the robotic laser eye headpiece you get from allied beast quest (use that with choco head off).
I'm usually not into the glam game, but I think I'll give it a try on SAM.

Both new cards are basically 'instead of clicking off this card I don't want'; so if you have Ewer RR'd for Expanded and you draw Spear and shuffle into Ewer or something, instead of clicking it off/re-RRing it to zero gain you hit Minor Arcana and get either a free oGCD heal or a free oGCD nuke. You can wait around for a convenient time to use either, but by converting it to Lord or Lady Draw's timer starts ticking down again. Using them ignores your normal card stuff, so it won't eat your RR. it's just turning the old cards you used to throw into the trash into something you get a little freebie utility out of.

AST seems to be getting all the love again lol. I just started reading the tooltips but it seems like AST really has almost no downsides again. I love maining the class but I hate how broken it has become because it only leads to bad AST players thinking just because the class is good they can be effective.

Zomba13

I'm going to make a Jinnosuke (Afro Samurai) with the chocobo head (do we have giant toy bear head glam?). No one steal my glam idea please.
Won't be accurate since my character is female and there is no dual wield, but I think I can make it work.
I'll have a back up glam with the robotic laser eye headpiece you get from allied beast quest (use that with choco head off).
I'm usually not into the glam game, but I think I'll give it a try on SAM.

There is the Snowman head hat. That is kind of like a teddy bear. Can't dye it though so it's white with a top hat.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I decided to check out some samurai videos to see what it's like. I came away convinced that the worst part of this expansion is going to be listening to people mispronounce all of the ability names.

facepalm.gif

ebil

I decided to check out some samurai videos to see what it's like. I came away convinced that the worst part of this expansion is going to be listening to people mispronounce all of the ability names.
RDM is kind of hilarious with the German and French names (that aren't even accurate in the English version, not to mention the fencing names don't match what you're actually doing at all) as well.

Somehow the French to the rescue with info?

Bonus: JP Players do, in fact, apparently RP:
Eh, if the new skills are Whistle While you Work tier, I can live with it.

Kenai

AST seems to be getting all the love again lol. I just started reading the tooltips but it seems like AST really has almost no downsides again. I love maining the class but I hate how broken it has become because it only leads to bad AST players thinking just because the class is good they can be effective.

Lord and Lady are a great example of a genuine problem AST had being fixed. Putting cards you would have trashed before to good use was an excellent addition to the class and fits thematically and mechanically as well.

I am really hoping they nerf Balance back to 10% soon though, and I agree that people should really be playing AST because they like it rather than because they heard it's overpowered, but that's be a thing ever since MMOs have been around.

The (somewhat justified) community QQ about WHM at this point will probably hve an effect sooner rather than later. I'm still holding out hope of my original position of the end of 4.1 being sunshine and butterflies (though I didn't think the healer balance had this much potential to be out of wack before then).

Omnicent

There is the Snowman head hat. That is kind of like a teddy bear. Can't dye it though so it's white with a top hat.

I'll have to look into that. That may work better with dark/black/grey tone dyed samurai garb over a giant yellow chocobo head.

ebil

Lord and Lady are a great example of a genuine problem AST had being fixed. Putting cards you would have trashed before to good use was an excellent addition to the class and fits thematically and mechanically as well.

I am really hoping they nerf Balance back to 10% soon though, and I agree that people should really be playing AST because they like it rather than because they heard it's overpowered, but that's be a thing ever since MMOs have been around.

The (somewhat justified) community QQ about WHM at this point will probably hve an effect sooner rather than later. I'm still holding out hope of my original position of the end of 4.1 being sunshine and butterflies (though I didn't think the healer balance had this much potential to be out of wack before then).
It shouldn't be 10% to drive the bandwagon AST away from your main job, it should be 10% so that there's a reason to ponder using anything other than AOE Balance in any given situation in a raid. 3.4 card management is garbage.

iammeiam

Honestly the most amazing thing about 4.0 AST is that they're probably still pretty OP with a nerf to Balance. Aspected Benefic in Noct's buff is baffling. Instacast 600 potency shield is crazy, Earthly Star is nuts, the bump in Noct's healing bonus, etc. 3.4 was the era of AST because of Balance, but 4.x is looking good for AST because they're kind of good everywhere with no serious drawbacks.

AST is in an interesting spot because I think the actual design of the job is incredibly good for 4.0, but the numbers are pretty crazy. They essentially 'fixed' SCH being OP by making AST even better, but AST is well positioned that they can address the tuning problems without having to rework any of the core mechanics. They can balance things without having to fundamentally kneecap AST, which is hopefully encouraging.

Time to start teaching some lessons, Tiv.

I actually try to pronounce stuff correctly even if I don't always get it quite right.

Kenai

It shouldn't be 10% to drive the bandwagon AST away from your main job, it should be 10% so that there's a reason to ponder using anything other than AOE Balance in any given situation in a raid. 3.4 card management is garbage.

I never argued otherwise. I don't even really care if it's a bandwagon job, I just want people to feel like they have a choice to play WHM while still being competitive. I've been AST since launch so I've kind of felt the other side of the coin, even if my static has never been cutting edge. And yes, using other cards would be nice.

Honestly the most amazing thing about 4.0 AST is that they're probably still pretty OP with a nerf to Balance. Aspected Benefic in Noct's buff is baffling. Instacast 600 potency shield is crazy, Earthly Star is nuts, the bump in Noct's healing bonus, etc. 3.4 was the era of AST because of Balance, but 4.x is looking good for AST because they're kind of good everywhere with no serious drawbacks.

AST is in an interesting spot because I think the actual design of the job is incredibly good for 4.0, but the numbers are pretty crazy. They essentially 'fixed' SCH being OP by making AST even better, but AST is well positioned that they can address the tuning problems without having to rework any of the core mechanics. They can balance things without having to fundamentally kneecap AST, which is hopefully encouraging.

I completely agree with this. Number tweaks have never really bothered me because they are "easy" in theory to change even though SE seems hesitant to nerf classes in general, sans a few notable exceptions (one of which unironically was pre-launch AST around this time before HW launch).

It's also why I am a bit down about WHM, cause they probably need more than just number tweaks. Some of their mechanics probably need to change. Not sure if they need to change a *ton*, maybe letting Regen tics give Lilliy or just reworking Confessions or other things like they did for AST in 3.1 is *probably* enough. What's more disconcerting is that this came out at all, after testing them. I could see how a knee-jerk reaction to community assumptions about AST ended poorly since they probably didn't number crunch back then with such a limited time frame, but there's no such excuse for this one...

20% single Balance is fine IMO, but Expanded Balance should be 5% like most similar effects.

Boosting even one person's damage by 20% for up to 50 seconds is just silly and unneeded to me. I want to pull from my deck of magic tricks, not one golden ticket amid 5 sheets of used kleenex :(

iammeiam

I set up MCH hotbars in that Simulation thing and then was incredibly sad. muh buttonz

It's also why I am a bit down about WHM, cause they probably need more than just number tweaks. Some of their mechanics probably need to change. Not sure if they need to change a *ton*, maybe letting Regen tics give Lilliy or just reworking Confessions or other things like they did for AST in 3.1 is *probably* enough. What's more disconcerting is that this came out at all, after testing them. I could see how a knee-jerk reaction to community assumptions about AST ending poorly since they probably didn't number crunch back then with such a limited timeframe, but there's no such excuse for this one...

I actually have a half-formed conspiracy theory that part of WHM's design was them trying to prevent Noct AST + WHM from becoming the far-and-away favorite. I'd take Aspected Benefic in Noct any day over Adlo because Critlos are nice but I'll take a reliable, spammable 600 potency shield you can plan around (~690 after bonus) over the hope for a 900-ish potency shield at the whims of RNG but usually 300 without much complaint. The Fairy remains the best part of the SCH kit, and is certainly compelling, but I think a stronger set of WHM skills would have been able to cancel that out without too much struggle. AST is currently to healers what WAR has been to tanks since the initial WAR buffs.

I keep fanficcing fixes to WHM, and one of them is definitely having stuff proc off HoT ticks. The lily system needs an actual functional rework--we have a ride-or-die WHM who keeps trying to come up with ways to justify playing different than he did at 60, but everything he's suggested trying to incorporate lilies intentionally so far ends up being a net MP and GCD loss and ultimately playing WHM Flower Growing Simulator with healing as a side-effect--because the actual 'reward' for the RNG is terrible, but there are a lot of routes they could take it to have it be mitigation or utility or literally anything other than what it is. They could probably salvage Confessions by just dropping the stack on the healer, instead of the target, and then having the AOE really impact everyone. The ship on WHM as anything other than heal bomb with a super boring DPS rotation has probably sailed, but early-AST-style-tweaks would be enough to balance it out and at the very least make their job-specific-UI not depressing. It really doesn't help that so many core WHM skills got moved to role-based and they got nothing good baseline to replace them.

Guess Who

Banned
If you are fiending for storm blood, there is a hotbar simulator (in japanese though).
http://ff14moo.moo.jp/hotbar_simulator.html

At least I can see how I want things layed out before hand.

Doing this has made me realize I'm gonna end up with like, two or three less things bound on BRD than I do now.

I tried to keep the bindings similar to my current setup. I replaced Hawk's Eye, Internal Release, and Blood for Blood with the three stance songs, though. Pitch Perfect and Reflugent Arrow fit where my Flaming Arrow and Blunt Arrow go now. Refresh and Tactician replace where Army's and Mages used to go, and Troubadour goes where old Battle Voice went.

Swiftsong (or whatever they're calling it now) will probably get swapped out for that new phys resistance shield in raid content, too, but I'd never give up Swiftsong for dungeons.

Kenai

I actually have a half-formed conspiracy theory that part of WHM's design was them trying to prevent Noct AST + WHM from becoming the far-and-away favorite. I'd take Aspected Benefic in Noct any day over Adlo because Critlos are nice but I'll take a reliable, spammable 600 potency shield you can plan around (~690 after bonus) over the hope for a 900-ish potency shield at the whims of RNG but usually 300 without much complaint. The Fairy remains the best part of the SCH kit, and is certainly compelling, but I think a stronger set of WHM skills would have been able to cancel that out without too much struggle. AST is currently to healers what WAR has been to tanks since the initial WAR buffs.

I keep fanficcing fixes to WHM, and one of them is definitely having stuff proc off HoT ticks. The lily system needs an actual functional rework--we have a ride-or-die WHM who keeps trying to come up with ways to justify playing different than he did at 60, but everything he's suggested trying to incorporate lilies intentionally so far ends up being a net MP and GCD loss and ultimately playing WHM Flower Growing Simulator with healing as a side-effect--because the actual 'reward' for the RNG is terrible, but there are a lot of routes they could take it to have it be mitigation or utility or literally anything other than what it is. They could probably salvage Confessions by just dropping the stack on the healer, instead of the target, and then having the AOE really impact everyone. The ship on WHM as anything other than heal bomb with a super boring DPS rotation has probably sailed, but early-AST-style-tweaks would be enough to balance it out and at the very least make their job-specific-UI not depressing. It really doesn't help that so many core WHM skills got moved to role-based and they got nothing good baseline to replace them.

Again, I agree with pretty much everything, but this especially struck me as odd since almost the same thing happened already with WHM and Shell (and SS I guess). I don't understand how they didn't even consider that this particular problem was going to be even worse, especially when this was the perfect time to give everyone new stuff.

Now that i thought about it a bit more, considering how crazy proc-type things can happen from multidotting mobs (hi lowbie BLM thundercloud procs) letting regen proc stuff could actually pave the way for some crazy batshit insane (and maybe too consistent?) WHM CD reduction, and WHM has some great CDs when they are actually needed. That might become a problem vs just letting the class be more well rounded, which makes it even more of a problem since that would mean coming up with stuff out of thin air (no pun intended) vs building upon what they already have and hoping SE had the same idea or something equally appealing.

Again, it's kind of a mess. I don't really know what to suggest.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I think an RNG based mechanic like lilies doesn't make much sense for WHM. Maybe it would be better on a class which already relied on RNG mechanics. Like some kind of 'straight shot' that procs a straighter shot.

Hire my Yoshi, I'll fix Bard so much they'll never be able to be changed again!

Omnicent

I need to stay off the official forums. That SAM thread is giving me a headache.
Some of it is fine, but other posts...
I'm just going to stay low with my multi-page spread sheet (some rotations may do better at a different GCD because of cd alignment).

iammeiam

Scything, you stay away from the Bards. They've had enough suffering, they do not need your help.

Again, I agree with pretty much everything, but this especially struck me as odd since almost the same thing happened already with WHM and Shell (and SS I guess). I don't understand how they didn't even consider that this particular problem was going to be even worse, especially when this was the perfect time to give everyone new stuff.

This part I think they got away with in 3.0 largely on the strength of the skills WHM got. Assize, Asylum, Aero 3, and Tetra all improved WHM QoL, so losing good protect/stoneskin seemed minor in comparison to an AOE DoT/non-Bene instal-heal, Assize, Literally The Best Button In The Game, etc.

Now that i thought about it a bit more, considering how crazy proc-type things can happen from multidotting mobs (hi lowbie BLM thundercloud procs) letting regen proc stuff could actually pave the way for some crazy batshit insane (and maybe too consistent?) WHM CD reduction, and WHM has some great CDs when they are actually needed. That might become a problem vs just letting the class be more well rounded, which makes it even more of a problem since that would mean coming up with stuff out of thin air (no pun intended) vs building upon what they already have and hoping SE had the same idea or something equally appealing.

Again, it's kind of a mess. I don't really know what to suggest.

Yep, it's realllly awkward; I'd push for procs from HoT ticks largely because of my oft-repeated 'the game should teach people how to do things right better' mantra that people are generally sick of. Give Regen a decent chance to proc and give Med 2 tics a much lower chance, but in general reward WHMs for using their HoTs instead of chain casting. They could tie them to the base skills, too--X% chance to proc on Regen or Med 2 cast--but I think my current theory is that whatever happens should be so reliable as to be basically guaranteed if played well.

If it's CD reduction, they more or less have to give WHM's a way to guarantee they have procs up for certain CDs. The loop we keep going through with our WHM is that he really, really wanted to justify lilies letting him Assize more. But to get the maximum benefit he needs 3 lilies to shave 12 seconds off Assize. 3 lilies at a 15% proc chance is something like 20 casts on average, which at even a 2.2 second GCD is almost 45 seconds. Plus if you use any of the good oGCDs, you lose your banked lilies. So you basically end up in this death spiral of spamming Cure and sitting on all your oGCDs to stack lilies for Assize. Increasing the proc rate would need to be pretty high, or you'd end up at 3 lilies but refusing to use them until the oGCD you actually want to reduce comes up.

It's crazy because I sincerely do think WHM is going to be the most fun dungeon healer. More assizes, Thin Air for more MP in general, reduced Bene cooldown means more letting the tank almost die, etc. But I also think the raid problems WHM have right now are unfortunately core mechanic, and not just potency, so they end up being the most interesting to talk about because tuning changes aren't going to fix that.

I did briefly read the OF WHM thread and saw a suggestion that initially seemed like an incredibly bad idea but has kind of grown on me--Yank Balance out of the AST deck, and just make it a cross-role skill. Probably stick an antibody equivalent in it so that it's only worth having one of your two healers bring. Let ASTs cards be about utility outside of just flat damage boost, let the actual damage buff piece just be something the healers work out between themselves and not job reliant, etc etc etc. It's not perfect, but I kind of like the disruptive nature and the paths it opens up for tweaking AST cards overall vs now where it's just "Balance" and "Things That Everyone Wishes Would Turn Into Balance".

Looking at all the theorycrafting, DRK definitely doesn't seem anymore complex than it was before. There's some random speculation about that super edgy shield leading to a double bloodspiller, but otherwise it feels like it's actually much more straight forward without scourge in there and the rotations pushing you to follow through on specific combos now.

I still think removing Delirium and making it a 2 minute oGCD was a mistake.

Dark Knight is the more complex tank of the three so having 2 combo decisions to make when looking at your mana fit well. Since mana no longer drains on its own they could have given it another effect.

But now it's spam Soul Eater until you get enough Blood then use Bloodspiller. I've seen some threads where people were skeptical whether using Dark Arts Bloodspiller is even a DPS increase if you got it specifically from Blackest Night.

It sort of feels that Dark Knight has been streamlined, and not necessarily in the good way. Naturally, in order to get a full picture I'll need to spend time with it but currently I think I'm eyeing Paladin and Warrior for first to 70.

scy

Dark Knight is the more complex tank of the three so having 2 combo decisions to make when looking at your mana fit well. Since mana no longer drains on its own they could have given it another effect.

At the same time, you only really did Delirium if you had to refresh it; you could sustain MP enough to keep up DA Souleater otherwise. So you don't swap combo every third combo but is that really a huge loss? Granted, coming from a WAR perspective where it's Eye spam unless threat allows for BB but eh, it really doesn't feel like it changes moment-to-moment gameplay a whole lot as it isn't an interesting choice.

I'm sadder at the loss of Scourge than anything else in the kit.

I've seen some threads where people were skeptical whether using Dark Arts Bloodspiller is even a DPS increase if you got it specifically from Blackest Night.

Hm ... it depends? The average GCD in HS+SS+SE is ~227 potency (273 with 1 DA, 320 with 2 DA) and baseline Bloodspiller is 380 potency. Basically, you're turning a DA activation, valued at 140 potency, into converting your average GCD into a 380 potency one.

With all three of the GCDs gaining the same +140 potency from DA, it's worth trying to separate their listed potencies (390, 420, and 520 respectively) and just think of 1 DA = +140 potency somewhere when doing evaluations.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think tomorrow is the day I move to Ultros to join GAF. Sold off my house today for a really nice price.

Anyone have any recommendations for transferring 15m gil without retainers or on self? Any high ticket items that sell somewhat regularly over there? Would rather not try to buy stacks and stacks of alagan coins.

Omni

I think tomorrow is the day I move to Ultros to join GAF. Sold off my house today for a really nice price.

Anyone have any recommendations for transferring 15m gil without retainers or on self? Any high ticket items that sell somewhat regularly over there? Would rather not try to buy stacks and stacks of alagan coins.

Housing items could be a decent investment especially with the new area coming. Not like tables or something, haha. But Moogle/Chocobo skins and the alike

Maybe you can grab one of those. Although such things might take a while to sell hmmm. Kinda of a last resort I guess

Xux

Yeah, caught up with the story! So,
we're going through Baelsar's Wall to get to Gyr Abania? Not the two obvious zone lines in East Shroud or the gate in Gridania? Okay. Also, the trailer seems to show Carvallain taking us to Doma? That's neat. More 1.0 characters is always cool. Maybe we'll see one of the Gridania 1.0 characters in the next couple of expansions.

Also also, the Yda in the Echo in 1.0 was Yda but the "present day" one in Future Perfects and on was Lyse? Kind of a weird revelation but sure.

At the same time, you only really did Delirium if you had to refresh it; you could sustain MP enough to keep up DA Souleater otherwise. So you don't swap combo every third combo but is that really a huge loss? Granted, coming from a WAR perspective where it's Eye spam unless threat allows for BB but eh, it really doesn't feel like it changes moment-to-moment gameplay a whole lot as it isn't an interesting choice.

I'm sadder at the loss of Scourge than anything else in the kit.

I'm coming from the perspective that having to make multiple checks before deciding to use a weapon skill is interesting.

The specific scenario I think of is when I had to farm St. Mocianne's/Pharos Sirius Hard for a week straight to get the ghost chest piece. The only reason I was able to do this is because Ninja play was mentally stimulating enough to keep me awake the whole time.

And I think a good portion of that is due to how many checks you have to make before using your next weapon skill in addition to the other stuff.

Is Huton about to fall off? Slashing? Fang? Mutilate? If not Aeolian Edge.

I found those decisions to be stimulating and made it feasible to play even when I'm going through the same two instances where with other jobs I would get bored real fast.

So when I see a job like Dark Knight losing one of those decision making points (well I guess they lost two with Scourge), I worry whether repetition is going to set in in a way it did not pre-expansion.

Hm ... it depends? The average GCD in HS+SS+SE is ~227 potency (273 with 1 DA, 320 with 2 DA) and baseline Bloodspiller is 380 potency. Basically, you're turning a DA activation, valued at 140 potency, into converting your average GCD into a 380 potency one.

With all three of the GCDs gaining the same +140 potency from DA, it's worth trying to separate their listed potencies (390, 420, and 520 respectively) and just think of 1 DA = +140 potency somewhere when doing evaluations.

I'm trying to remember what they said specifically, something about doing 6 Bloodspillers in a certain period of time would delay your mana gain to the point of being detrimental? I can't remember, I'll see if I can find the thread again.

Also, this.

duckroll

Yaaaay. Another person to witness my embarrassing noobness!

Valor

It's painful reading so many people trying to theorycraft samurai everywhere. It's also fascinating seeing bad information spread like gospel. I wonder how many of these people actually understand how to dps properly.

iammeiam

It would probably help if SE didn't have a giant media event handing out loads of bad information as their primary way of relaying data.

I saw the bizarre reddit thread of "stop posting hypothetical rotations in public, these things are for SRS THEORYCRAFTERS in SRS PRIVATE DISCUSSIONS to handle first", but realistically people are going to want to try and wrap their heads around combat flow and SE is going to give us 0 help here (see also: "MCH IS FINE YOU ARE ALL BADS" - YoshiP, 3.0.) The advantage of people publicly engaging in this discussion is largely that they're not sitting off in their corners misunderstanding with no hope of education, and the more discussion there is the greater odds of people finding out about the random garbage tooltips we got. Because, based on HW, there will be garbage tooltips day 1, too.

And man there are still people out there insisting Foe Req nerfs bard damages. Like sixty percent of this game has no idea how DPS works. At least with SAM it's new and novel.

Valor

It would probably help if SE didn't have a giant media event handing out loads of bad information as their primary way of relaying data.

I saw the bizarre reddit thread of "stop posting hypothetical rotations in public, these things are for SRS THEORYCRAFTERS in SRS PRIVATE DISCUSSIONS to handle first", but realistically people are going to want to try and wrap their heads around combat flow and SE is going to give us 0 help here (see also: "MCH IS FINE YOU ARE ALL BADS" - YoshiP, 3.0.) The advantage of people publicly engaging in this discussion is largely that they're not sitting off in their corners misunderstanding with no hope of education, and the more discussion there is the greater odds of people finding out about the random garbage tooltips we got. Because, based on HW, there will be garbage tooltips day 1, too.

And man there are still people out there insisting Foe Req nerfs bard damages. Like sixty percent of this game has no idea how DPS works. At least with SAM it's new and novel.
That bizarre reddit thread was started by Eve.
I know people want to know how to do good on classes they haven't played yet, but when people are championing openers that don't burst for 34 seconds I just sit there slack jawed.

Like I'm not a very intelligent person at all, and by no means am I the best dps player out there but I mean that's just foolish. The new thing is people using the one Samurai skill that essentially lets you build three sen and then using another skill to turn it into Kenki instead of into the allegedly 720 potency iaijutsu. I'm just. Blown away.

iammeiam

That makes sense. The fundamental problem with trying to hold things for live is the bard changes he cited--those weren't things people could wait for to try to figure out how bard works, we basically had to work out how the ranged jobs worked to discover they were in a bad state, and it's that discovery and corresponding lack of performance that in turn pushed the buffs to both jobs a couple weeks in. It invalidated everything written prior, but given that the week one feedback from Yoshi was that the job was working as intended, there was no reason to institute an arbitrary 2-week moratorium on rotation creation.

Jobs are going to be imbalanced. Things will be adjusted. Trying to translate this stuff into how we should be trying to approach it in general sets us up better to get a handle on what we're doing during the busy exciting leveling time and hopefully get the stuff we're bitching about pre-first-balance-changes to be stuff the devs actually do need to fix. Nothing's set in stone, but god willing they at least got the broad strokes right. For everyone but machinist because we know they screwed that up.

Basically it doesn't matter how cautious we are and if we let the self-selected chosen few develop rotations for us; they're still going to get balance changed and tweaked and exploded, so might as well just start out assuming anything we see needs to be verified as current. Also seriously WHMs need to keep yelling until Yoshida fixes their shit because it's shameful.

It's an exciting time. Things are changing. We've got totally new jobs, totally reformatted old ones, and people are going to shoot for the moon to break away from the current combat plan. I know fuck-all about SAM, but the concept of delayed burst has been burbling out there in the back of people's minds since they saw ranged lose Quelling (and I'll again point to the RDM buff thing as something relatively unique in the world of group synergy which will probably impact openers eventually.) It's probably going to be dumb and we're probably going to be back to the same old spike hard, spike early, make the MT work for his aggro openers we've been seeing, but people getting experimental isn't super surprising.

So I'm trying to create a glamour for the character below. Linn Kurosawa-- I'll even put a bounty if someone impresses me enough ill buy em something from the mogstation

I'm new to the game and wouldn't know the best class and even where to begin with the choices.

http://imgur.com/a/HXokM

iammeiam

so. time for hype:

Ranged weapons with grown-up WD in SB:

For those of you not in the ranged baby WD playpen, our i275 Creator weapons have 77 WD. Upgraded shire weapons for non-ranged physical classes, at 270, have 84 WD.

That there is an SB dungeon drop gun with 84 WD.

That's like an obscene amount of main stat, and will singlehandedly counteract a chunk of the loss from caster stance being gone. It also means no more "WD for everyone but ranged!" 5 ilvl upgrades.

Jesus.

Guess Who

Banned
so. time for hype:

Ranged weapons with grown-up WD in storm blood:

For those of you not in the ranged baby WD playpen, our i275 Creator weapons have 77 WD. Upgraded shire weapons for non-ranged physical classes, at 270, have 84 WD.

That there is an SB dungeon drop gun with 84 WD.

That's like an obscene amount of main stat, and will singlehandedly counteract a lot of the loss from caster stance being gone.

Jesus.

machinist is basically just gonna be a melee that can hit from 20 yalms away while moving, huh

iammeiam

machinist is basically just gonna be a melee that can hit from 20 yalms away while moving, huh

They could still flip it on us and nerf it before live, but yeah. MCH going to end up getting nerfed probably. Still, it's a solid baseline gain for Bard.

Guess Who

Banned
They could still flip it on us and nerf it before live, but yeah. MCH going to end up getting nerfed probably. Still, it's a solid baseline gain for Bard.

Non-baby weapon damage and auto-attacks pretty much entirely makes up for the loss of the Minuet buff in terms of damage, I would think.

My guess is they probably won't nerf MCH too bad, though. With BRD having so much raid utility now, it makes some sense to position MCH as more of a melee alternative than a BRD alternative.

Omnicent

I know people want to know how to do good on classes they haven't played yet, but when people are championing openers that don't burst for 34 seconds I just sit there slack jawed.

Like I'm not a very intelligent person at all, and by no means am I the best dps player out there but I mean that's just foolish. The new thing is people using the one Samurai skill that essentially lets you build three sen and then using another skill to turn it into Kenki instead of into the allegedly 720 potency iaijutsu. I'm just. Blown away.

Incoming 12am napkin math

A 3Sen Hagakure(Keniki) + GCD will give you more net potency than the 1080 from Kaiten+GCD (Midare Setsugekka) as long as you do not overflow and use keniki gained before the fight ends (or if there is another fight afterwards).

Now using MS to do it off-hand sounds bad.
It straight implies that you don't have the buffs from jinpu/shifu/yukikaze up.
If you do then why not use Gekko and Kasha when building up cause you are still using Gekko and Kasha with MS to get 3SEN?
Basically you are doing H>J>H>S>Y>G>K vs H>J>G>H>S>K>H>Y.
So using MS saves 1GCD, but you lose out on Keniki, and a Kaiten Midare Setsugekka...
I'm assuming they are doing Y>G>K into Hagakure which is less problematic.
I'd have to throw that into excel, but not now as its past 12am.
I'll just add it to my list of things to map out in excel over the next few weeks and EA.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH (I was screaming on the inside)!

Only Y>G>K into Hagakure makes some sense.
You have Hagakure on CD advantage by 5 GCD if you don't apply your buffs (you also have MS on advantage, but to tired to brain math).
At 2.5 GCD that's about 11.6% more Hagakure over a fight, but you would have to see how it aligns as delays with 3Sen could negate this advantage.
In the end you would need to crunch if it outweighs buffs + keniki + Kaiten 3Sen from MS (and other opener/rotations) over an extended period.
Also some of the keniki spenders would not be buffed at the start which would also need to accounted for.

I'll say it's an interesting idea to look into.

Internal Screaming! Not for SAM right? Please man I need good dreams and not nightmares. Waiting 34 seconds is the other extreme. Actually its probably worse.

fuck im so tired I quoted the same post twice... I'll just leave it who cares.

Between 3 (technically 4) possibilities going into SB...

1) Buy the ARR jump potion and
... a) resume leveling into Heavensward for my first time ever on my current MNK that I played all the way up to 52 in just the last week and a half
... b) switch to RDM and play thru HW content as RDM as part of its regular leveling process, since it starts at lv50 -- and RDM is one of the biggest draws of SB for me

2) Buy the HW jump potion and skip HW content completely and buy the MNK jump potion so I can go straight into SB as MNK, meaning I won't experience HW at all, but get to continue on with established player base into fresh content that everyone will be experiencing for the first time (this is valuable to me in MMOs)

3) Just continue progression normally, which the closing ARR quests are really feeling like they're extinguishing the fun out of, not to mention I'm really enjoying Tekken 7 now that it's released

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FLAMES LITERALLY GAVE ADDERS 2 BIG ICES WHILE THEY WERE TAKING OUR BASE

FUCKING ULTROS FLAMES HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE

Between 3 (technically 4) possibilities going into SB...

1) Buy the ARR jump potion and
... a) resume leveling into Heavensward for my first time ever on my current MNK that I played all the way up to 52 in just the last week and a half
... b) switch to RDM and play thru HW content as RDM as part of its regular leveling process, since it starts at lv50 -- and RDM is one of the biggest draws of SB for me

2) Buy the HW jump potion and skip HW content completely and buy the MNK jump potion so I can go straight into SB as MNK, meaning I won't experience HW at all, but get to continue on with established player base into fresh content that everyone will be experiencing for the first time (this is valuable to me in MMOs)

3) Just continue progression normally, which the closing ARR quests are really feeling like they're extinguishing the fun out of, not to mention I'm really enjoying Tekken 7 now that it's released

If you're at the end of the ARR 2.X quests then there's no point in buying the ARR jump potion.

You can get through HW faster than you did ARR. HW trimmed the fat.

You could go through SB as Monk but then you're using all that MSQ EXP on a job you don't seem to want to play since you want to play Red Mage.

The most efficient method, assuming you really want to play Red Mage, would be to finish up ARR, start up the HW MSQ then wait till the 16th, then unlock Red Mage which starts at 50 then go through HW which I'm assuming will have some EXP increases and loot box handouts from MSQ (I think they did this to ARR when Heavensward released).

That way you can use HW MSQ and SB MSQ experience on getting Red Mage to 70, instead of getting Monk to 70 then having to slowly level Red Mage off of PotD/dungeons/whatever.

Let me tell you that grinding Red Mage that way is going to be really grating. The only reason I have multiple 60s is because I did stuff slowly over time as opposed to all at once.

You pretty much have to decide whether you want to see the new content as soon as possible (completely skipping HW MSQ which is actually a big step up from ARR) and no life grind Red Mage later or if you care about seeing the story and what leads up to Stormblood, go through it with Red Mage.

I guess an easier way to boil it down is

1. If you give a shit about the story, go through HW and SB as Red Mage.

2. If you value seeing new stuff day 1 release, go through as Monk, grind grind grind Red Mage later.

Thorgal

I'm up to light farming for my Anima weapon. I'll give A1S a try tomorrow. Any tips for it?

nothing really , the fight is so easy now you can just burn down the boss before any real mechanics even begin.

the only 2 things to note is a not to stand in the AOE and to not kill the boss until the other one that walked in is at low hp so both can be killed in quick succesion before it self destructs wiping the raid .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom