• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to lvl60. Unlocked the final dungeon. Not going to attempt it at 3am though.

Also wondering if this is anything like the end of ARR, with lots of cutscenes and stuff. Do I have to get a GAF party together willing to wait on cutscenes to fully appreciate the endgame stuff?!

The cutscenes are not as long as the end of ARR and you don't need a Gaf party, the cutscenes will play after you finish the dungeon. They learned their lesson from 2.0. :p

Squishy3

What are the chances of more recent EX primals popping via duty finder? I cleared Thordan for the first time this week. I was hoping to do Nidhogg/Seph/Sophia also, but the queue just tends to spin forever.
You'll want to try making or looking for learning parties via party finder.

aka_bueno

Are there any like exp buffs or anything? Probably not since I'm a new player, I just want to level faster lol.

I got to level 15 Lancer but then decided to switch jobs to Archer so see what I would like more and that was tough to level again since I didn't have any quests to do (completed them all as Lancer) so I was stuck with Fates pretty much. But I got to 16 Archer last night and am going to stick with that so I'm glad I switched.

But I want to try to get through the story content as fast as possible so I can jump into Stormblood sooner rather than later

Are there any like exp buffs or anything? Probably not since I'm a new player, I just want to level faster lol.

I got to level 15 Lancer but then decided to switch jobs to Archer so see what I would like more and that was tough to level again since I didn't have any quests to do (completed them all as Lancer) so I was stuck with Fates pretty much. But I got to 16 Archer last night and am going to stick with that so I'm glad I switched.

But I want to try to get through the story content as fast as possible so I can jump into Stormblood sooner rather than later

There's foods and potions you can buy that will give you exp buffs. You will get rested bonus exp buff by logging out in safe areas like towns and stuff. Also Free Company (guild) buffs one you're able to join those. Other than that, just grind out FATEs in your respective level area while you queue for dungeons.

Agh, I gotta start grinding tomestones for umbrite now :/
I'm glad they halved the price of umbrite, but it's still such a grind. I'm not getting a second anima weapon. Fuuuuck that.

dramatis

Ok, since I haven't played in a long time, I'm kinda rusty, and since I have to move all my abilities to my hotbar, can anyone tell me what controller layout for a Dragoon, Ninja and Bard?

Or maybe somewhere I can look to see what abilities I should be using? My highest level is my Dragoon who is 60, my Ninja is only 51, the Bard is still in the 40's. I have a Monk too, but not focused on him right now.
Drop whatever into your hotbar. It's going to change come Stormblood.

The last MSQ dungeon for 3.0 was ARF, right? You'll learn to hate it soon enough. :p
But nah, it's a fun dungeon. I actually like healing it, although it can get really hairy.

also once you realize what you are fighting after that you will shit bricks . ( in a good way )

Yeah, it's really cool. Sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

On top of what's already been posted, there's a couple of items that give out an exp buff while under 30 & 25.

There's a ring you can get from The Hall of Novice after completing a full training course for a role.

There's a headpiece you can get by entering a recruitment code/giving out yours to someone new and then subbing for 30 days/new guy subbing for 30 days.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

Might also want to reach lv 17 and switch to running Palace of the Dead to lv instead of running fates.

Xux

I'll probably tank more if there's less stance dancing; that shit's way too stressful on top of normal tank anxiety.

ebil

I'll probably tank more if there's less stance dancing; that shit's way too stressful on top of normal tank anxiety.
You don't need to stance dance all that much if you're not concerned about maximum efficiency? Start stance dancing when you feel really comfortable about what you're doing. I usually tend to be really careful when I'm new to any piece of content and I've never got any shit for it, tanks are way too valuable to piss them off.

Xux

You don't need to stance dance all that much if you're not concerned about maximum efficiency? Start stance dancing when you feel really comfortable about what you're doing. I usually tend to be really careful when I'm new to any piece of content and I've never got any shit for it, tanks are way too valuable to piss them off.
No, but you gotta do maximum efficiency all the time. I gotta have the bestest DPS.

k1t4j

My gf and i just finished the Anti tower main story quest dungeon. Now, we are doubting if we should continue or wait for stormblood and do them with the samurai/red mage

It's also because i feel that I am wasting tomes as I have them all maxed out :( and could use the first time bonus on SAM gear.

Do you guys think I'll need to finish the story to unlock the new Classes?

My gf and i just finished the Anti tower main story quest dungeon. Now, we are doubting if we should continue or wait for stormblood and do them with the samurai/red mage

It's also because i feel that I am wasting tomes as I have them all maxed out :( and could use the first time bonus on SAM gear.

You only need to be level 50 to play one of the new jobs, so you're good to go! If you're concerned about tomes, you can buy Casting gear (for RDM) and/or Striking gear (for SAM). This will let you accrue new tomes while having gear ready for when you get the new jobs to 60.

ebil

Probably not, the new jobs will be unlocked after finishing 2.x at level 50.

SAM shares gear with MNK, so you can buy MNK gear with your Tomestones.

No, but you gotta do maximum efficiency all the time. I gotta have the bestest DPS.
well, ok then

aka_bueno

There's foods and potions you can buy that will give you exp buffs. You will get rested bonus exp buff by logging out in safe areas like towns and stuff. Also Free Company (guild) buffs one you're able to join those. Other than that, just grind out FATEs in your respective level area while you queue for dungeons.

Agh, I gotta start grinding tomestones for umbrite now :/
I'm glad they halved the price of umbrite, but it's still such a grind. I'm not getting a second anima weapon. Fuuuuck that.

On top of what's already been posted, there's a couple of items that give out an exp buff while under 30 & 25.

There's a ring you can get from The Hall of Novice after completing a full training course for a role.

There's a headpiece you can get by entering a recruitment code/giving out yours to someone new and then subbing for 30 days/new guy subbing for 30 days.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

Might also want to reach lv 17 and switch to running Palace of the Dead to lv instead of running fates.

Awesome thanks! I knocked out those Hall of Novice quests to get that ring, where would I get the food xp buffs?

Killthee

Classes unlock at 50 at the end of base ARR and they start at 50 so you'll have to grind to 60 to continue story.

Id get HW done now so you have the option of starting SB on the 16th or grinding SAM/RDM to 60 to continue. Wouldn't worry about gear either, 270 stuff is outdated around lv 63/64 and the lv 60 vendor gear in SB should be 230ish. If your current ilv is below 230, I'd use tomes to upgrade it cause the last HW story missions require 230 ilv.

Killthee

Awesome thanks! I knocked out those Hall of Novice quests to get that ring, where would I get the food xp buffs?
Eating any food will get you a 30 min 3% exp buff. You can buy food from npcs in the starting towns or from bars spread out in the overworld.

If you run palace of the dead, don't worry about food buffs or killing things for exp. The amount of xp you get from it is based on the floor you're running and your lv so to maximize xp you just kill the minimum amount of enemies needed to proceed to the next floor and finish.

aka_bueno

Eating any food will get you a 30 min 3% exp buff. You can buy food from npcs in the starting towns or from bars spread out in the overworld.

Oh, I wish I knew that at the start haha. Oh well it's only 3% so not that big, but I'll take anything I can get forte xp.

I'm REALLY feeling this game, it's finally starting to click. I'm so gonna preorder Stormblood soon, I just wish I started earlier. There's probably no way I'll be ready for Stormblood anytime soon :(

Kenai

Oh, I wish I knew that at the start haha. Oh well it's only 3% so not that big, but I'll take anything I can get forte xp.

I'm REALLY feeling this game, it's finally starting to click. I'm so gonna preorder Stormblood soon, I just wish I started earlier. There's probably no way I'll be ready for Stormblood anytime soon :(

It's fine. If you are interested in raiding that won't be live until 4.1 (whenever that is, but bare minimum a few months after launch) and unlike HW the jobs aren't in the expansion areas so you can start once you hit 50 post launch.

I won't say you have tons and tons of time, but I wouldn't be too worried unless you want your 60 class ready for SB launch or something.

I mean, tanking is pretty boring, so stance "dancing" adds something to break up the monotony. But honestly, you're not really dancing and even then you're only really doing that with the Warrior. Got 5 stacks of wrath? Switch stance, pop your buffs and fell cleave the shit out of em. I rarely ever leave shield oath as a paladin. I probably should so I don't get the damage reduction, but eh. If your DPS are higher geared than you, stay in tank stance cause that ninja or dragoon will be robbing your enmity if you're not in tank stance. I have a 60 DRK, but I've played it the least. It's the most complicated from my experience with all three.

Hey guys, another question! So I had initially decided to hold of getting the game until Stormblood because a buddy is visiting from Japan next Sunday and I'll be spending time with him while he's here BUT I just learned that the trial isn't time capped but rather level capped! So I could play the trial today all the way through the end of next weekend to get a head start on the story and start working towards getting as close to level 50 as I can so I can play Samurai and or Red Mage ASAP after SB hits.

Anyway, my question is if I download the trial from PSN, how will it work when I get the full game when SB hits? Will I uninstall the version of ARR that the trial gives me before installing what's on the SB collection disc? Or will I be able to just use the physical disc to install HS and SB on top of what's there? I'm assuming the way to unlock the level cap and the rest of the dungeons and such will be tied to a subscription and not anything to do with what the trial lets me install, correct?

Ken

Monk expansion and it's bottom 3. RIP.

Dragoons had it nice in Heavensward being the featured class in the only CG stuff.

Monk had to share the light with the dancer girl who didn't even turn out to be a dancer and then got forgotten when they rolled out the SAM CG reveal.

iammeiam

It's fine. If you are interested in raiding that won't be live until 4.1 (whenever that is, but bare minimum a few months after launch) and unlike HW the jobs aren't in the expansion areas so you can start once you hit 50 post launch.

I won't say you have tons and tons of time, but I wouldn't be too worried unless you want your 60 class ready for SB launch or something.

Minor tweak but Omega Savage should be 4.01, not 4.1, and hit about 4 weeks in. Normal should be two weeks into SB (hopefully alongside the first set of balance tweaks), but raiding should 'start' in July. 4.1 is the bonus hard fight of we'll get one and they'll never do another because not worth the resources.

Poor MCH with only 3% of the vote

MCH is in a really weird spot right now; a decent chunk of the machinist population were basically bard refugees there because lol Hypercharge. Bard gets a massive upgrade and is more support-y, so all the exiled bards are going to go back, and MCH itself gets gutted and tagged with a completely different play style. I think the job that's left is actually going to end up being pretty decent, but it's fundamentally not what I liked about the current iteration.

Add in that RDM has New Job Hype + a proc system and managing cast times and instants and I'm not super surprised.

It's this weird spot of I think new Machinist is totally fine and I'm going to level it first, but all things being equal I probably won't end up raiding on it. I was 100% all about the intense button-cramped Wildfire and then the relative low points in between. New MCH has a decent-sounding mechanic but doesn't seem to have similar 'push all the everything' windows, and just comparing the flow of jobs I like RDM's weird building-the-track-as-you-go priority system in theory a lot more.

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out after EA, though. If Reddit turns on RDM and/or SAM week 1, a decent chunk of the people who have moved to those will go back to whatever they came from.

Killthee

Hey guys, another question! So I had initially decided to hold of getting the game until Stormblood because a buddy is visiting from Japan next Sunday and I'll be spending time with him while he's here BUT I just learned that the trial isn't time capped but rather level capped! So I could play the trial today all the way through the end of next weekend to get a head start on the story and start working towards getting as close to level 50 as I can so I can play Samurai and or Red Mage ASAP after SB hits.

Anyway, my question is if I download the trial from PSN, how will it work when I get the full game when SB hits? Will I uninstall the version of ARR that the trial gives me before installing what's on the SB collection disc? Or will I be able to just use the physical disc to install HS and SB on top of what's there? I'm assuming the way to unlock the level cap and the rest of the dungeons and such will be tied to a subscription and not anything to do with what the trial lets me install, correct?
Right, your license will dictate whether or not you can lv past lv 35.

When you get the disc for SB look for a leaflet inside with a registration code. Redeem it on PSN and launch the trial. Trial should see the license is tied to your account and proceed to take you to the account site to finish redeeming the game to your account. Game will then download any data that is missing.

You shouldn't need to insert the disc ever. Game will play/launch as if you bought the digital version. If for some reason you delete your current install and reinstall the game via the disc instead of downloading it, you will need to insert the disc to play just like every other physical game until you delete the disc install and install via download. Make sense?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Subreddit threw up a poll on which class people would be playing in stormblood. Some interesting results so far.
http://www.strawpoll.me/13104822
Crazy how neck and neck SAM and RDM are.

BLM about as low as I expected it would be. SB BLM likely won't change anyone's mind on the job.

Plus they have even less exclusive utility than they did before. Hurts even more when RDM and SMN both have raid DPS buffs.

More (and cheaper!) explosions though!

Thorgal

honestly i don't get why an expansion should specifically cater to one job

SB is the Monk/ SAM / Red Mage expansion and that is fine .

Next expansion can be the WAR /Scholar/ Bard/ expansion :)

I figure MCH's DDR window will be buff-aligned Overheats

Also 80% RDMs will barely last till Omega hits. Priority-based jobs lul

Right, your license will dictate whether or not you can lv past lv 35.

When you get the disc for SB look for a leaflet inside with a registration code. Redeem it on PSN and launch the trial. Trial should see the license is tied to your account and proceed to take you to the account site to finish redeeming the game to your account. Game will then download any data that is missing.

You shouldn't need to insert the disc ever. Game will play/launch as if you bought the digital version. If for some reason you delete your current install and reinstall the game via the disc instead of downloading it, you will need to insert the disc to play just like every other physical game until you delete the disc install and install via download. Make sense?

Yes, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me! I assumed that's how it would work but wanted to make sure before I started downloading. I hope I have enough hdd space on my PS4 haha I'd better get that download started since I imagine it will take quite a while.

Kenai

Minor tweak but Omega Savage should be 4.01, not 4.1, and hit about 4 weeks in. Normal should be two weeks into SB (hopefully alongside the first set of balance tweaks), but raiding should 'start' in July. 4.1 is the bonus hard fight of we'll get one and they'll never do another because not worth the resources.

Oh I see, so they are switching things up somewhat. Well that's good for the most part. Hopefully people still have time.

Sylas

Subreddit threw up a poll on which class people would be playing in stormblood. Some interesting results so far.
http://www.strawpoll.me/13104822
Crazy how neck and neck SAM and RDM are.
imo it's not really that crazy at all. They're new and have a lot of style goin' for them and were the two jobs people were requesting the most. Expect them to drop-off insanely quick though. If fighting games have taught me anything it's that most people get excited over the flashier/newer playstyles initially and then after a few days realize they hate playing it.

iammeiam

That's definitely trying to fill the gap, but there's just not enough buttons left. This is the opener I ended up using for most of Creator, at about 30 seconds into the fight I have 30-ish casts. As far as I can tell, the hypothetical MCH openers being tossed around come in at around 75% of that. Two of the oGCDs no longer apply damage, all of the buffs are gone, and there's no more GB toggling for autos or to double-oGCD better.

The upshot is the painful death of godawful triple-oGCD windows and people suffering a lot less for not being able to smash everything at once. It's not a bad change and I'm curious to see what it feels like in action, but I also fall into the tiny minority that is sad we're losing the cast/proc system because I liked how it all felt.

Oh I see, so they are switching things up somewhat. Well that's good for the most part. Hopefully people still have time.

Nah, that's how Gordias worked too. HW in June, Savage in July, raid community on fire and constantly exploding by August.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I do feel RDM will be a lot tougher in FFXIV than in a game like WoW because you can't customize alerts to make sure you're on top of all your procs.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
CUll292.jpg

Squishy3

It begins. I just got stuck trying to log in because Ultros was full.
Bunch of people got kicked, I was in POTD and loaded into a boss floor and was inivisible and couldn't do anything but saw people doing things and then I was booted from the server.

jWILL253

Banned
So, it takes a really long time to get into a dungeon using the Duty Finder, sometimes, and it's always due to finding a healer or a tank.

So, as such, if you, as the healer or tank, leave the game 5 minutes into the fight, after waiting 30 minutes for you to join the party... just know I hope you step on a Lego piece with your bare feet.

Anyways... I warmed up to the Coerthas quests a bit. The Inquisitor dying helped, that dude was an asshole. Cid getting his memory back, and seeing Hydaelyn in her complete form... that was cool. I was wondering what the point of collecting the primal crystals was... wasn't aware I was literally assembling fucking GOD this whole time, lol. Really cool stuff. Also, that machine beast thing that absorbed the essences of the primals... what is that thing???

I'm Lv. 47 Ninja now. Finally starting to get some cool gear. Can't wait until I beat the Lv. 50 mission for the Ninja Guild and complete the Koga gearset.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Server Transfer Submitted...

I dyed everything in my FC's house pink before I left. :)

See you soon, Ultros!

How long does this usually take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom