• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka_bueno

Is Machinist just in a bad spot? Dead last in that poll. I was hoping to get into that maybe as my first job, is it getting nerfed in SB or something?

Is it hard class to play? Why so low?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is Machinist just in a bad spot? Dead last in that poll. I was hoping to get into that maybe as my first job, is it getting nerfed in SB or something?

Is it hard class to play? Why so low?
👇

MCH is in a really weird spot right now; a decent chunk of the machinist population were basically bard refugees there because lol Hypercharge. Bard gets a massive upgrade and is more support-y, so all the exiled bards are going to go back, and MCH itself gets gutted and tagged with a completely different play style. I think the job that's left is actually going to end up being pretty decent, but it's fundamentally not what I liked about the current iteration.

Add in that RDM has New Job Hype + a proc system and managing cast times and instants and I'm not super surprised.

It's this weird spot of I think new Machinist is totally fine and I'm going to level it first, but all things being equal I probably won't end up raiding on it. I was 100% all about the intense button-cramped Wildfire and then the relative low points in between. New MCH has a decent-sounding mechanic but doesn't seem to have similar 'push all the everything' windows, and just comparing the flow of jobs I like RDM's weird building-the-track-as-you-go priority system in theory a lot more.

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out after EA, though. If Reddit turns on RDM and/or SAM week 1, a decent chunk of the people who have moved to those will go back to whatever they came from.

Omnicent

CUll292.jpg

I love all of this WHM is dead stuff

It's taking me longer to start than I thought too haha Every time I think it's finished downloading there's something else to download. I can tell from my GW2 experience that I'm on the launcher now downloading the actual world so this should be the last download before I can play.

Will I be able to join the GAF guild from the free trial? Or can you only join a free company when you have a subscription? I'll still make sure to get on Ultros at least.

Also, does the subscription monthly charge go off of the exact day you enroll? or does it go off of the first day of the month? I'm wondering if enrolling when SB hits will have me paying a sub for 10 days of June or if I'll get until July 20 before the next charge.

I still plan on maining WHM but I just watched the MTQcapture video on the white mage changes properly and can I just say:

This lillie system freaking SUCKS :( and the sad thing is it is so simple to fix imo.

Make lillies / confessions proc off regen as well as cures because as it stands now, lillies will be rare with only 20% chance and confessions which are also on 20% chance of being put on people are only put on people with single target heals meaning Plenary Indulgence is USELESS as an aoe heal since apart from some bad runs, you probably won't be casting too many cure I/cure II on people individually (or at least not enough to get confession stacks with only a 20% chance).

(Edit: reread it, I think you only confession stacks on one target and then use the skill on that target to heal everyone near them? if so I read it wrong and thought you needed confession stacks on everyone you wanted to heal instead of one person so it's not totally useless but it's still too RNG dependant and no one may even have a confession stack during intense aoe healing).

So basically, unless you overheal, you probably won't be using divine benision/plenary indulgence much at all.

Also screws over double WHM comps in random groups or groups with friends where two people only have a WHM levelled unless again you overheal.

This has not been thought through at all and I hope they at least change it so it procs off regen, I mean even at 10% instead of 20% you would still have a better chance of making lillies/confessions appear than at 20% chance when using cure/cure ii.

Like I said, I will still main WHM but I am not too happy.

Also, no real utility still for WHM and we can't even stoneskin before bosses anymore :( but this was mainly me wanting to rant about the new WHM systems which I know have been beaten to death but it's the first time I've actually looked at the video on the new skills.

Side note: Bards changes look awesome :D! Leveling that up right after WHM so I can be the bard!

jtan

Question, my brother wants to get the realm reborn CE. Can he buy the stormblood expansion right off the bat or will he need to buy the heavenward first, then stormblood?

Thanks!

It's extra funny to me because I don't even think they are that bad they just didn't get anything super cool

I love my White Mage, I'm just disappointed :(.

However, being able to use Assize and getting the full heal and damage without needing cleric stance on? It is going to be AWESOME!

Assize is sooo good.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Question, my brother wants to get the realm reborn CE. Can he buy the stormblood expansion right off the bat or will he need to buy the heavenward first, then stormblood?

Thanks!
All copies of Stormblood include HW so he can just get ARR+SB.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I know it'll never happen, but I wish they did something about equipment clipping.
It's one thing for stuff to clip in PSO2, where you can change dimensions of your body parts and cosmetic equipment to create crazy monsters, but in a game like FF14 where you have a few heights etc. to choose from, each set is being designed for a long time?

I think all the staff models will clip through hats for example. Maybe place them lower or come up with another solution. Yes, there is a lot of equipment which you can put together in various ways. But that's not really an excuse, since glamour is the real endgame imo.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I love my White Mage, I'm just disappointed :(.

However, being able to use Assize and getting the full heal and damage without needing cleric stance on? It is going to be AWESOME!

Assize is sooo good.

Yeah, a good chunk of people Ive seen that went to the media thing that play whm said it wasnt anywhere as bad as people are making it sound. It's just a no new real fun tools thing rather than being a bad class

Apparently lillies cannot be generated on targets that are full HP. So they have to be missing HP for you to potentially get a lily.

It's extra funny to me because I don't even think they are that bad they just didn't get anything super cool

The good changes for White Mage mostly come from alterations to existing abilities.

Like Assize and Benediction CD reductions.

The only decent new ability they got is is the no mana cost one since it could be used for a bunch of things like a healing intensive moment in a fight, holy spamming during large pulls without running out of mana or DPSing a single target.

New expansion is the time for jobs to be made better. And White Mage mains definitely deserve that and they didn't really get it. Especially when Yoship said that more attention was going to be paid to healer balance and White Mages ended up getting a crummy mechanic and some abilities that run counter to how you play White Mage.

They are pretty much going to be playing slightly improved HW White Mage (with no Stoneskin and a bunch of stuff moved to cross role) through SB.

To be honest I expected Paladin to get the treatment that White Mage got.

I cannot get past the name your character screen :| It has to take into account both the fore and surname, right? I go with Squall for the first name and no matter what I put for the last, it says I can't choose this name. I've even tried a bunch of gibberish, randomly choosing letters from all around the keyboard and ensuring my total is less than 20 letters and it still won't take it. No way in hell someone has that name already on the server. Any ideas? Could it just be because Ultros is full? Or does it not check for that until after I submit the name?

Squishy3

How could SE forsake their favorite race?
We're going to go to Meracydia eventually and see all the Mi'qote and then all the gear is going to horribly clip with Mi'qote tails. And the helmet ears will look really bad, like the Samurai hat.

unknown.png

I cannot get past the name your character screen :| It has to take into account both the fore and surname, right? I go with Squall for the first name and no matter what I put for the last, it says I can't choose this name. I've even tried a bunch of gibberish, randomly choosing letters from all around the keyboard and ensuring my total is less than 20 letters and it still won't take it. No way in hell someone has that name already on the server. Any ideas? Could it just be because Ultros is full? Or does it not check for that until after I submit the name?
I'm relatively sure you can't use the first name of any Final Fantasy main character in a character name.

We're going to go to Meracydia eventually and see all the Mi'qote and then all the gear is going to horribly clip with Mi'qote tails. And the helmet ears will look really bad, like the Samurai hat.

unknown.png

I'm relatively sure you can't use the first name of any Final Fantasy character in a character name.

I just had that idea myself haha I'll try Squal and see if it works, thanks!

Xux

unknown.png

I'm relatively sure you can't use the first name of any Final Fantasy main character in a character name.
Aw, I really like how that hat looks. Almost makes me wanna switch back to Mi'qote.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Imagine how bad that's going to be when they make viera.

Just give helmets ear holes already.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Imagine how bad that's going to be when they make viera.

Just give helmets ear holes already.

What's the difference between a hole and letting it clip naturally like that?

iammeiam

Yeah, a good chunk of people Ive seen that went to the media thing that play whm said it wasnt anywhere as bad as people are making it sound. It's just a no new real fun tools thing rather than being a bad class

The problem is people try to act like 'bad' and 'non-viable' are the same thing; they're not. Given Creator as an indicator of raid damage, WHM will be perfectly viable. Given that we're basically at 'AST + Whatever', WHM will be paired with a Noct AST who will be able to handle all the utility and mitigation you could ever ask for. WHM will also have minimal reason to ever touch their shiny new systems.

Like, WHM isn't viable because of the level 70 stuff, it's viable despite it. And it'll be awesome in dungeons, because thin air + more assize + more bene = more Holy.

While everyone else is theory crafting and trying to wrap their heads around how their jobs will work differently, WHM learning about lilies is basically:

but then Confessions and:

OK but at least Cross-role should give them room for some exciting new--

I think the White Mage is dead stuff is people just exaggerating the meme.

Point is, most jobs got cool new stuff to play with and White Mages got shafted hard.

Yes they can heal stuff just fine, every single complaint brought up has had nothing to do with that. Just that their new stuff is mostly shite which should not have happened.

dramatis

It's taking me longer to start than I thought too haha Every time I think it's finished downloading there's something else to download. I can tell from my GW2 experience that I'm on the launcher now downloading the actual world so this should be the last download before I can play.

Will I be able to join the GAF guild from the free trial? Or can you only join a free company when you have a subscription? I'll still make sure to get on Ultros at least.

Also, does the subscription monthly charge go off of the exact day you enroll? or does it go off of the first day of the month? I'm wondering if enrolling when SB hits will have me paying a sub for 10 days of June or if I'll get until July 20 before the next charge.
Subscription hours by the day you enroll. Free trial does not allow you to join free companies (guilds) (I think).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Now that I'm transferred and don't need them, I want to cancel my retainers before I forget.

If I cancel retainers, it drops the ones on the bottom of the retainer list when you go to a summoning bell, correct? Don't want to trash my two original retainers, and I need to keep 1 extra to hold onto all my housing stuff until I get a new one.

Interesting, most of that is lost on me since I'm new and have no experience with the jobs but it does help paint a better picture so thanks!

Bard it is! :D

Nooooo. Don't just play something because meta discussion says it's "better".

Play what looks coolest and funnest to play to you.

iammeiam

It's also worth noting that I have at no point said MCH isn't good, not-meta , or inferior to Bard (I'm half-expecting to see DRG/BRD/MCH show up as meta given the WD thing.)

It's fundamentally changed, looks less active, and it's currently unpopular for some super-obvious reasons; Bard is in a really good place after having been in a not so good place in some respects for a few years, and so people are flocking to it.

But in context of "first job" MCH isn't an option anyway--you have to get something to 50 before you can unlock and start MCH, and starting with Bard is good in that it'll mean you have all sorts of Dex gear ready when you finally finish the hundreds of hours of stuff you need to do to unlock MCH.

Aeana

So is the White Mage a bad class now? I just spent all day leveling it...

It's still going to be perfectly capable. The complaints are that the upgrades to it aren't really very effective, and on paper it's fallen behind the other two healers quite a bit.

aka_bueno

It's also worth noting that I have at no point said MCH isn't good, not-meta , or inferior to Bard (I'm half-expecting to see DRG/BRD/MCH show up as meta given the WD thing.)

It's fundamentally changed, looks less active, and it's currently unpopular for some super-obvious reasons; Bard is in a really good place after having been in a not so good place in some respects for a few years, and so people are flocking to it.

But in context of "first job" MCH isn't an option anyway--you have to get something to 50 before you can unlock and start MCH, and starting with Bard is good in that it'll mean you have all sorts of Dex gear ready when you finally finish the hundreds of hours of stuff you need to do to unlock MCH.

You guys are all super helpful, that's it I'm transferring realms to GAF realm now!

iammeiam

Hopefully by the time you get to Ishgard and can unlock Machinist we'll have a better idea what the job is actually like to play.

BUT. It still has turrets. And turrets are great, so there will always be that.

So is the White Mage a bad class now? I just spent all day leveling it...

It's functional. It's incredibly likely that by the time you get to the spot people are mad about right now it'll have been drastically altered and all of this will be irrelevant. If you're leveling WHM because you want to heal progression raiding when the expansion starts you'd probably be better served by one of the other two healers because they'll be stronger attention-getters, but if you want to do essentially anything other than that one extremely specific scenario and you're actually enjoying your time with the job it's fine.

It's super unlikely they don't address some of the complaints within the first few months of the expansion.

It's still going to be perfectly capable. The complaints are that the upgrades to it aren't really very effective, and on paper it's fallen behind the other two healers quite a bit.

It's functional. It's incredibly likely that by the time you get to the spot people are mad about right now it'll have been drastically altered and all of this will be irrelevant. If you're leveling WHM because you want to heal progression raiding when the expansion starts you'd probably be better served by one of the other two healers because they'll be stronger attention-getters, but if you want to do essentially anything other than that one extremely specific scenario and you're actually enjoying your time with the job it's fine.

It's super unlikely they don't address some of the complaints within the first few months of the expansion.

Whoops, apparently I'm still a Conjurer so ill have some time before I get to pick. Thank you for the insight though (just started not too long ago)!

aka_bueno

I spoke too soon guys, after freaking out thinking I did something wrong I read the fine print and I can't world transfer yet on characters under 3 days old.

Tomorrow ya'll, tomorrow I join GAF world.

B.K.

I spoke too soon guys, after freaking out thinking I did something wrong I read the fine print and I can't world transfer yet on characters under 3 days old.

Tomorrow ya'll, tomorrow I join GAF world.

If you have only been playing for three days, why not just make a new character instead of spending $20 to transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom