• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I have to say, the post-3.0 optional content that unlocks is really cool. It feels just like post-2.0 stuff, where the world suddenly opens up after your big adventure, and there are all these super cool side stories which are self contained but much more interesting. The Sky Pirates quest had a much more elaborate series of introduction scenes than I expected. Kickass designs too.

You're new and probably poor so don't really need anything from you. Toss me a friend request in game so I can mail you some gear.

Look at my post to lane for the quickest way to get acc and belt.

Okay, thanks a lot. The next time I get on I'll send a request. I'm Serina L'Cyin in the game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is that unlocked yet?
The drops from it are but the accessory is still a weekly quest.

Could also buy the 260 script gear and run the 3 24 man raids 5 times each for the 270 upgrade item but that's more trouble than it's worth.

yami4ct

Ducky gets to i230 for free. I had to piece together my set through grinding lore and picking up what I can, like a real Dragoon hahah. :D

B.K.

85 runs of A1S and I have seven runes done. I wish it would have gotten a bonus today. It was Robust all day.

I have to say, the post-3.0 optional content that unlocks is really cool. It feels just like post-2.0 stuff, where the world suddenly opens up after your big adventure, and there are all these super cool side stories which are self contained but much more interesting. The Sky Pirates quest had a much more elaborate series of introduction scenes than I expected. Kickass designs too.

They're sky pirates, after all! Can't not be cool.

duckroll

Ducky gets to i230 for free. I had to piece together my set through grinding lore and picking up what I can, like a real Dragoon hahah. :D

Look, Stormblood is 2 weeks away. I'm not going to get stuck on pride and try to grind my way through shit when all the gear is going to be basically worthless once we start the new expansion. Sorry! :(

Not sorry. :)

What Healer Job would you guys recommend with Stormblood upcoming? I primarily want to be a support player and not have my ass kicked on the single player duties.

Qvoth

What Healer Job would you guys recommend with Stormblood upcoming? I primarily want to be a support player and not have my ass kicked on the single player duties.

the current trend is that ast and sch are still going to be the popular healers for SB
whm might get a buff/change in the future though
the single player duties were designed for whichever particular job you entered though
i'd say if you wanna be a more support player than ast is the better choice for the healer role

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
According to an interview, there is supposed to be some pvp mode where it's 2 sides instead of 3, involving siege equipment. While it may not be FC related, it might scratch a bit of the itch.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to more information about that.

Speaking of pvp, does anyone have any good tips for targeting people on a gamepad in large scale pvp? On KB/M it's much easier, because you can just click whoever you like, but I feel like it's almost impossible on a gamepad against a larger group.

Omni

Can we get a group for final steps of hell? I needs it for MSQ.

If you throw a PF up, I'll help out! I'm online now. On lamia though. Well my character in the GAF FC is like level 20 but my main is on a different server xD

Guess Who

Banned
Thanks for the help on final steps everyone!

Hope your run went better than the one I got in trials roulette where half the party was new, we wiped three times, tanks weren't getting adds right, people kept standing in AOEs, and I was pressing my Helios buttons as hard as I could and had to do half a dozen raises over the three runs before people just started leaving.

yami4ct

My plans tend to beget more plans in this game. Wanted to level a DRK to 60 before SB in case queues get super bad and that's turned into leveling both a DRK and a AST. Learning how to heal and tank at the same time. What could go wrong? Haha. Having a ton of fun with both.

Post SB, latency cooperating, I really want to get into Red Mage. Everything in that class speaks to me. I realize Samurari is going to be the main hotness, but the pure DPS no utility of that class doesn't do much for me.

The drops from it are but the accessory is still a weekly quest.

Could also buy the 260 script gear and run the 3 24 man raids 5 times each for the 270 upgrade item but that's more trouble than it's worth.

No, 1/week.

Ridiculous with only 10 days left until the expansion. Oh well.

Samurai popotos look really goofy.

Everything popotos look goofy, because it's tiny midget versions of the gear on other races.

Gala

Finished the Summoner job quests out of boredom yesterday and wow was I surprised how good it was. Can't wait to do the next quests in Stormblood.

dabig2

I did that for 3 jobs. WAR, DRG, and NIN. I never even did PotD with them, just grinded dungeons and fates and daily BM tribes till they were all lvl 60 and then spent all my tomes on upgrading gear for each job piece by piece. In the end, I realized I wasted so much time. Wasted centurio seals on gearing up my 2nd lvl 60 class when I knew I wouldn't even play that guy in an instance until he was at least i230. I could've used those seals on buying those legendary clan logs to get the twines/coats to level scripture gear to i270 and/or lore gear to i240.

Anyways, I spent a month on my NIN (my main class) just playing through dungeons and gathering tomes to level up DRG and WAR going through the same process I did for my Nin (centurio -> lore -> scriptures). Wasn't until I had my NIN fully geared to i260 and WAR/DRG to around ~215 with a mixture of centurio, scriptures, and lore gear that I realized I was wasting my time. I was replacing i240 gear with i260 scripture gear when I hadn't even used that older gear at all. So in the end I just wasted my time and a lot of lore that could've gone somewhere else (like umbrite for anima weapon).I've still barely played WAR and DRG since leveling them to 60 and those guys are now ~250 from raid drops, leftover tomes, and upgrading each piece of lore/scripture gear to 240/270.

I've been able to focus my scriptures on my MNK, the newest lvl 60 arrival, and now he's already geared up to ~250 after only a week. Of course that's mostly because he shares most of the same right side accessories as my DRG, who had a lot of diabolic i260 gear and a ton of i270 right side accessories and I've prioritized all my scripture grinding for MNK in preparation for SAM, who supposedly shares the same gear (ya'll better not be lying to me!)

Next up will be BRD, who's right now lvl 57. And just like MNK, as soon as he reaches 60, I won't have to waste time grinding lore and centurio seals like I did for my first 3 jobs. He'll instantly have a right side full of i270 gear, and I've been able to grab some job specific i260 gear via Dun Scaith for him over the last month or so.

Official Rise lyrics, finally

The song is meant to be sung by goblins, ??????
Alexander spoiler stuff:
Thirty thousand goblins gonna solve the goblins' problems, 'cause the
Problems of the goblins goin' rotten till they solve 'em, yeah the
Thirty thousand goblins gonna solve the goblins' problems, with a
'Splodin smashin' bashin' whackin' crackin' smackin' kind of chaos
Gobbies were a mistake.

duckroll

3.1-3.5 story patches are better than the main 3.0 story. And I enjoyed 3.0

The same happened with 2.x

I hope SB dosn't take that much to get that good

I think it's a natural consequence of how they plan and write the game. The main game content isn't just a story but also has to do heavy lifting for worldbuilding and leading the player through the various areas and so on. It almost feels like the base stories are guided tours with set pieces along the way, and then the post-release patch stories are full blown "we can tell whatever stories we want in a world which the player is already familiar with" tales. That's probably why.

Much like how the 2.x stories (well, by the end anyway, it was pretty trolly at the start) built on everything 2.0 started, 3.1 kicks off the ultimate end of the storylines which were built up throughout 2.x and 3.0. It feels REALLY satisfying.

NeoCross

So I've tried almost every job except for Summoner, Scholar and BLM...and I'm just not feeling any of them except for AST and maybe DRG. But I've been healing for almost all my MMO life and I just want to be lazy and dps and not care about anything else. Providing raid buffs? don't have time for that shit.

BLM it is.

duckroll

So I've tried almost every job except for Summoner, Scholar and BLM...and I'm just not feeling any of them except for AST and maybe DRG. But I've been healing for almost all my MMO life and I just want to be lazy and dps and not care about anything else. Providing raid buffs? don't have time for that shit.

BLM it is.

Maybe wait for Red Mage? Lol.

dramatis

BLM it is.
If you're a healer that wants to dps, your calling is Scholar.

lawtowler

Used to play vanilla FF14ARR but stopped after hitting 50. I got distracted by other games but absolutely loved my time playing.

I'm now thinking of returning. I completely missed Heavensward and it's been so long I think I want to make a fresh account and start a brand new character.

How much has changed since vanilla? Roughly how long will it take to run a fresh character from 0 to the level cap and up to scratch for Heavensward content?

I've missed the sights and sounds of Eorzea!

I think it's a natural consequence of how they plan and write the game. The main game content isn't just a story but also has to do heavy lifting for worldbuilding and leading the player through the various areas and so on. It almost feels like the base stories are guided tours with set pieces along the way, and then the post-release patch stories are full blown "we can tell whatever stories we want in a world which the player is already familiar with" tales. That's probably why.

Much like how the 2.x stories (well, by the end anyway, it was pretty trolly at the start) built on everything 2.0 started, 3.1 kicks off the ultimate end of the storylines which were built up throughout 2.x and 3.0. It feels REALLY satisfying.

I guess that's true, at least in 3.0 they tried to give it a feel of a journey/adventure with companions.

I guess in SB it will get more political again. (I just hope we have the superior twin with us this time, Alisae)

Reknoc

I guess that's true, at least in 3.0 they tried to give it a feel of a journey/adventure with companions.

I guess in SB it will get more political again. (I just hope we have the superior twin with us this time, Alisae)

Aw hell no (late-mid 3.x story)
my date with Aymeric was interrupted because she got her dumb ass poisoned and was "dying". To hell with her, I want my date.

Luminaire

Used to play vanilla FF14ARR but stopped after hitting 50. I got distracted by other games but absolutely loved my time playing.

I'm now thinking of returning. I completely missed Heavensward and it's been so long I think I want to make a fresh account and start a brand new character.

How much has changed since vanilla? Roughly how long will it take to run a fresh character from 0 to the level cap and up to scratch for Heavensward content?

I've missed the sights and sounds of Eorzea!

Tons of things have changed. Not sure what patch you got up to in 2.X ARR though.

They've added many things. Extreme versions of primals, new raids, new dungeons, new classes, new areas, new travel methods, a new race, new abilities, new pvp modes, new dungeon-like content, plenty of single player content, etc. Granted these were rolled out over time.

The new zones in Heavensward are 2-3x bigger than ARR zones. This is due to adding in vertical elements that include flying. The Heavensward story is more like an actual FF storyline, complete with a group you travel with and a long adventure with progression.

They've made a ton of changes to the classes from ARR to HW such as making ranged DPS casters practically, as well as fixing pain points of others. Many new abilities have completely changing how some rotations work or evolve.

Granted the combat system is undergoing a massive revamp in Stormblood. Job gauges are being added that manage a resource, useless (and useful) abilities are being trimmed or repurposed. They also rebooted PVP in Stormblood, so if that's your thing you have that to look forward to.

If you want to start from scratch, feel free. Just know there's four years of content to go through. 1-50 feels harder to stick with due to it being stretched over 50 levels, leaving you with some less than stellar arcs. However, everything post 2.0 has been pretty great.

If you wanna start anew, I say wait for the Stormblood changes. You'll be able to experience the old and new content with all the new changes.

lawtowler

Tons of things have changed. Not sure what patch you got up to in 2.X ARR though.

They've added many things. Extreme versions of primals, new raids, new dungeons, new classes, new areas, new travel methods, a new race, new abilities, new pvp modes, new dungeon-like content, plenty of single player content, etc. Granted these were rolled out over time.

The new zones in Heavensward are 2-3x bigger than ARR zones. This is due to adding in vertical elements that include flying. The Heavensward story is more like an actual FF storyline, complete with a group you travel with and a long adventure with progression.

They've made a ton of changes to the classes from ARR to HW such as making ranged DPS casters practically, as well as fixing pain points of others. Many new abilities have completely changing how some rotations work or evolve.

Granted the combat system is undergoing a massive revamp in Stormblood. Job gauges are being added that manage a resource, useless (and useful) abilities are being trimmed or repurposed. They also rebooted PVP in Stormblood, so if that's your thing you have that to look forward to.

If you want to start from scratch, feel free. Just know there's four years of content to go through. 1-50 feels harder to stick with due to it being stretched over 50 levels, leaving you with some less than stellar arcs. However, everything post 2.0 has been pretty great.

If you wanna start anew, I say wait for the Stormblood changes. You'll be able to experience the old and new content with all the new changes.

Thank you very much for that breakdown. Appreciate that.

I read online that base game main story quests are now rewarding double exp for new players and iLevel 110 gear is rewarded from the last few story quests. Is that true? That would make getting through the base game a lot more attractive if so...

LaneDS

Cheers to Killthee/Victor and others in this thread for helping new or returning players get past some of that gear wall. Definitely think I can be Stormblood ready without slugging through a tome grind thanks to y'all plus having some left over PvP marks. Had no idea there was a new PvP vendor with 235 gear for minimal currency, so that was great too.

Unrelated to that, got to the 50th floor of Palace of the Dead last night and wasn't pleased to see the boss can one-shot KO the whole party if everyone is new to it and messing up mechanics... pretty harsh way to teach a lesson. Outside of that, I was a bit surprised how enjoyable that place is. Are there plans to keep PotD relevant through Stormblood?

Thorgal

Thank you very much for that breakdown. Appreciate that.

I read online that base game main story quests are now rewarding double exp for new players and iLevel 110 gear is rewarded from the last few story quests. Is that true? That would make getting through the base game a lot more attractive if so...

yes . its true .

during the MSQ FROM 2.0 TO 2.55. gives you level appropriate gear .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom