• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

From what I can gather they don't want whm to super focus on the lily stuff it's there as a bonus. Ideally the mt gets his cure 1 and 2's and that will speed up the cooldowns of other stuff potentially,

If cooldown reduction was retroactive, this would have some reasoning. It's still bad but not as much. But that's not how cooldown reduction works in this game. And, again, cooldown reduction isn't a useful thing at all anyway for abilities that aren't used on cooldown.

Which imo is the nice new whm tool with 0 mana cost

Just to clarify something, this heals people WITH Confession stacks for X, Y, or Z potency; what you outlined is basically getting to RNG into oGCD Freecure. It's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination but it's also not something particularly notable.

BRD is now the only way to get Esuna in a group without wasting a cross-role slot. It could actually be a thing!

Just in time for no-Pacify Berserk is Warrior's self cleanse.

Squishy3

And it's gonna be utter shit again because warriors don't get Pacified anymore.
To be fair, the amount of detrimental effect removal abilities they added in cross-role skills makes me think we're going to see more used on players in general in Stormblood.

Also re: the part from the Mogtalk where Layla says Yoshida told him Omega's final fight was going to be as visually impressive as T13 is Turn 4 of it, which the Reddit compilation post decided not to denote for some reason.

MikeBison

Hey guys, I know annoying questions like this get asked to death, but how long, roughly in hours to power from 3.0 upto current? Just go through the required msq?

I remember leaving off just after getting some aether currents and going back to the cold place to do some required dungeons. Iirc part of a quest line where you go get like 5 recruits.

Squishy3

Hey guys, I know annoying questions like this get asked to death, but how long, roughly in hours to power from 3.0 upto current? Just go through the required msq?

I remember leaving off just after getting some aether currents and going back to the cold place to do some required dungeons. Iirc part of a quest line where you go get like 5 recruits.
Probably about 60 hours depending on your reading speed? Depending on when you finish 3.0, when the Stormblood patch gets pushed it'll probably add gear to the 3.x main scenario quests that makes it so you don't need to gear up to item level 230.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ok so I'm trying this trial out, just when I was getting into ESO: Morrowind last week...the upcoming FFXIV expansion piqued my interest.

I'm probably going to test both for a couple weeks before deciding which one to stick with. Both are very gamepad friendly, but since FFXIV is cross platform with PS4, I feel more like I'm not gimped since that's like half the userbase probably playing with controllers where on ESO (PC) it's majority KB/M players. That said, FFXIV on PC the UI navigation definitely doesn't seem all that gamepad friendly, combat works great though.

Now, onto my questions...since I'm just starting out: can I mainly focus on story quests in FFXIV? Or will I be ubderleveled as I go from area to area forcing me to grind to do the next story quest? I want to cut out as much of the what seems endless side quests.

Secondly, is there a reccomended job for beginner player on gamepad? I just went with the sword job I forget what it's called, can I solo with this job effectively or should I switch to something else (I like melee).

Third, what's a good level to get to to get an overall good feel of the game and all that it offers? I think the trial goes to 35? I don't wanna plop down $$ for game/expansions until I have a good idea about the game
If you're using a ds4 and ds4windows you can remap the touchpad so that clicking one side jumps to the next UI element and the other side jumps back to the previous UI element, this is how to works by default on PS4. It makes it a little bit less of hassle of jumping between UI elements than the default select button goes forward with no way to go back.

You can focus on just the msq without having to grind much if at all. Just make sure you run your daily roulettes for the bonus xp and log out in towns for rested xp. Also be aware the msq has a lot of filler till the back end of ARR, it gets better if you can make it that far.

Any job should be fine.

Id say 50 cause that's originally where the classes get a full rotation letting you see how they actually play for most content you'll be running. That might change in a few weeks with SB though.

BTW the base game is $10 right now if you buy it from Square (and did not download the Steam trial) and use this code at checkout: FFXIV10OFF

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/444748/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-pc-download

Thorgal

The Journey is done .

ffxiv_dx112017-06-020fvkt6.jpg

Now to auction it off for a future SAM Relic .

MikeBison

Probably about 60 hours depending on your reading speed? Depending on when you finish 3.0, when the Stormblood patch gets pushed it'll probably add gear to the 3.x main scenario quests that makes it so you don't need to gear up to item level 230.

Alright, thanks. Should have enough time before then.

LordKasual

Banned
As for the White Mage situation I don't know the full extent of the matter because I don't play as a White Mage but it doesn't seems like the situation can be compared to Wanderer's Minuet. The Bard Job was negatively affected by Wanderer's Minuet because the Job wasn't clearly designed​ to have a Cast time on it's Actions but that doesn't seem to be the case with what's going on with the White Mage.

God damn the overreacting on WHM here is crazy. Comparing this to Wanderer's Minuet 3.0 is absurd. Their playstyle in 4.0 wont be much different than 3.0, but they've been given a few mechanics to make the 3.0 style of playing even more effective, and their new playstyle synergies greatly with the Cleric Stance removal since you can just throw in DPS instantly.

Basically, having all these mechanics based around Cure seems to be encouraging WHM to actually waste their MP now. Casting Cure 1 :

- Can grant a free Cure II
- Can reduce Assize/Asylum CD by 5 seconds
- Can add a lily to further reduce cooldowns of resourceless spells (including Assize)
- Can grant a free AoE heal of varying potency, which increases its own potency the more you are relying on Cure I / II.

Further:

- Benediction had 2 minutes cut from its cooldown time
- Cure I and II got a potency buff, probably because they lost Divine Seal. (But we didn't actually lose it, so yeah)
- Plenary Indulgence's cooldown is a measly 15 seconds with no MP cost. At its worse it's a free OGCD Medica (of which you already have now with assize) and at its best it's better than a raid-wide Cure III. Yeah you need RNGsus to even use the spell, but FFS confessions last 30 seconds and with all the healing they already have, i can't imagine you'd need it.
scy said:
Just to clarify something, this heals people WITH Confession stacks for X, Y, or Z potency; what you outlined is basically getting to RNG into oGCD Freecure. It's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination but it's also not something particularly notable.

That's not what it says:

CglKfgf.jpg

It's just Ultra Freecure III. And it's resourceless, so that means if you KNOW you have an Indulgence on standby...#deeps.

- We lost Aero I + Aero II stacking, but so did everyone else
- But fuck that because Stone IV is 260 potency
- Assize has been inherently buffed due to Cleric removal, it's a 300 potency Damage/Heal attack that restores 10% MP with a floating cooldown. There is no compromise to this anymore, use it when you need it
- Multiple traits and mechanics to lower Assize's / other spells cooldown, so now you're encouraged to use it when you need it

- freecast for 12 seconds
- Again, Stone IV is 260 potency
- Worst case scenario, your casters can bail you out with the mana share ability
- They can't miss anymore
- Dots got nerfed for everyone

TL;DR -- They made DPSing far more viable, easier, and loaded a ton of failsafes into Cure/Cure II to allow a struggling WHM to self-recover / still be functional. Which wont even matter if you have a BLM in your party because of the new manashare skill.

I don't think any healer benefited from Cleric removal and Accuracy changes more than WHM did. They can't miss anymore and they are hit the least by DoT nerfs.

Thin Air + Presence = Either clutch raid saver mode or Burn Phase WHM mode

They can't provide AoE Balance buffs to the party, no. And that sucks. But they're much better at what they did in 3.0 now.

Honestly i can see why people are peeved, but i'm gonna have to see how 4.0 endgame content plays out before I can complain.

Squishy3

That's exactly what people are arguing, though. The intention of the lily mechanic implies people should be playing WHM less efficiently and not more efficiently.

iammeiam

Comparing WHM changes to Minuet is indeed crazy. Minuet Bard was a valued raid contributor, we all knew exactly why Minuet happened, and Minuet added skills were good.

The things that benefited WHM benefited other healers just as well if not more. AST and SCH both get new DPS tools between a Battle Litany, a super Assize, a super fairy healing mode + free clutch heal, extra damage / burst healing from discarded cards and so on.

All WHM realistically gets is 12s of no mana costs when they're the only healers that give a shit about mana and a bit more potency on their spammy DPS attack than the others, yay? They are better than in 3.0 but so is everyone else which puts them in the exact same spot as before, which is pretty insulting considering how they mentioned they wanted to balance healers.

scy

I'm mostly waiting to see if AST's literal healbomb or 690 potency oGCD shield remain the same; I doubt it but eh, we did say the same for Balance going into this.

That's not what it says:

CglKfgf.jpg

It's just Ultra Freecure III. And it's resourceless, so that means if you KNOW you have an Indulgence on standby...#deeps.

Correct, that is not what the tooltip says (sort of). But that is what the skill actually does so far in demonstration; it heals people with Confession stacks (and purges said stacks) but does not heal people without it. The way you describe it is significantly better, yes, but the reality is not that so far. If it goes like that when the expansion actually hits, then it's in a far better place and it's ultimately just the Lilies being a really bad reward structure.

As it stands, it's Cure 1 / 2 can proc into an oGCD Freecure - Freecure II for the tank when going through heavy tank damage. That's still a good thing but we'll have to see if the current implementation is correct and the tooltip lacks clarity or if it's meant to work otherwise.

Honestly i can see why people are peeved, but i'm gonna have to see how 4.0 endgame content plays out before I can complain.

It's mostly just the Lily system as a whole is pretty bad; for the most part, WHMs can disable their HUD and nothing changes since they have no meaningful engagement with the system nor do they have a meaningful reward from the system.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The fairy tether is nice, but it's pretty much on a 3 sec a heal tick, it can't do any other actions in the meantime, It pretty much just upgrades your fairies heal to cure 1 status. Which is nice for letting the sch focus on dps some more. But it's not some ultra insane super heal overtime

The 20% crit to attackers on the target and the under 50% life triggered heal are the actual real upgrades sch got.

I've seen some comments to the effect of "maybe balance SB content around White Mage".

It brings back memories about how people said that PLD got shat on because a number of fights were designed so their shields were pointless with all the magic damage which led to DRK having a much easier time in said fights.

I figured the whole point of taking time to balance the three tanks and healers were to make sure they wouldn't have to do stuff like that since it caused problems so I hope that history isn't being repeated here.

They're not going to balance content around WHM because that would make WHM nigh mandatory and they wanna make sure any shitty comp can clear any content.

LordKasual

Banned
That's exactly what people are arguing, though. The intention of the lily mechanic implies people should be playing WHM less efficiently and not more efficiently.

All i really see is the ability to go ham spamming DPS more.

If your MP starts to falter, fall back on cure to get some leeway, go right back. Lillies and the 4.0 spells just make that easier to do. All of the new WHM mechanics seem to exist to buff focused healing, especially if Indulgence works as Scy says it does.

The things that benefited WHM benefited other healers just as well if not more. AST and SCH both get new DPS tools between a Battle Litany, a super Assize, a super fairy healing mode + free clutch heal, extra damage / burst healing from discarded cards and so on.

All WHM realistically gets is 12s of no mana costs when they're the only healers that give a shit about mana and a bit more potency on their spammy DPS attack than the others, yay? They are better than in 3.0 but so is everyone else which puts them in the exact same spot as before, which is pretty insulting considering how they mentioned they wanted to balance healers.

The targeted crit debuff is pretty crazy, sounds like that exists solely so Monks can go crazy.

Don't know if i would call AST's new star spell a "super assize" since it takes 10 seconds to get there, but if it's just for healing then sure.

WHM is full of clutch heals and Crown's 300 potency card is a great DPS boost, especially for a card you wouldn't use (assuming you wouldn't road it) But Stone IV is 40 potency lower on GCD and doesn't require 30 seconds and a 50% chance to proc. i'm pretty much only happy with WHM because it remains the WHM class that seems to have the most unhinged DPS potential, which to me makes them the most fun to me. Unfortunately their DPS is a selfish DPS.

I mean I honestly doubt that they're going to make raid bosses hit hard / frequently enough to justify this, but again we'll have to see.

I'm considering setting up a "MECHANICS TIME SE.1 SE.2 SE.3" macro for calling stuff out during fights.

A while ago the other tank in a trial roulette used it to call stuff out. It actually worked on me since I was zoning out at the time so I figure having my own would be good for getting people to snap out of tunnel vision.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
just make sure to condense a bunch of meme macro cats into it

Elman

Is there a GAF linkshell? I checked the OP and didn't see anything about one. Kinda want to stick with my FC for now (close group of friends from 1.x and 2.x), but I'd love to party with folks from GAF.

My wife needs help catching up and she refuses to do PUGs for 8-person fights, help me GAF

Squishy3

I'm considering setting up a "MECHANICS TIME SE.1 SE.2 SE.3" macro for calling stuff out during fights.

A while ago the other tank in a trial roulette used it to call stuff out. It actually worked on me since I was zoning out at the time so I figure having my own would be good for getting people to snap out of tunnel vision.
This was pretty much mandatory in Bismarck EX PF groups. Because Bismarck's easy weather mechanics were hard for people.

The thing is, WHMs are competing for a spot, and the other 2 healers have been objectively a far better choice in a raid setting since 3.4. As it is, the changes make this problem much worse. It's not an overreaction. It's undeniable that they're in a pretty bad spot. Personal healer DPS is pretty much a non-factor, unless the edge compared to the other healers was absurd, which it isn't.

aka_bueno

Thanks so much for all you peeps who answered my questions earlier!

And special thanks to whoever mentioned the promo code to get the base game for $10, just bought it on PC. So I have the base game on PS4 and PC now. I vaguely remember buying it on PS4 on a flash sale.

So, how active is the GAF guild? Or is it just pretty casual hang out chat spot?

Is there a GAF linkshell? I checked the OP and didn't see anything about one. Kinda want to stick with my FC for now (close group of friends from 1.x and 2.x), but I'd love to party with folks from GAF.

My wife needs help catching up and she refuses to do PUGs for 8-person fights, help me GAF

IIRC we used to have a LS, but it's dead. Either way, join the Discord server! I'm pretty sure people will help you out if you need.

LordKasual

Banned

This is significantly more effective than one would think

It's reserved for people who are super straight on the fight though, since you basically have to weave chat macros into your rotations lol

(for pad players anyway)

KanameYuuki

BRD and AST got some nice changes and new skills on them, but it looks like MNK is same old with boring new buffs, at least chakras will be something now instead of just a one time attack but only from lv 62+, they should had made the trail from the same level you learn that skill, and Brotherhood only gives a 5%, kinda disappointed since its the class I always have the most fun with. And they are still adamant to keep Lightning kick, I can never find a decent time to use it and its just hard to time when a boss will jump, sure it looks really cool but there is just no use for it, even less now that there is riddle of earth to try to keep grease lighting.

SMN also got nerfed hard while WHM got those lilies that sound healing overkill and more rng that even AST, their skills aren't visually appealing either.

It's reserved for people who are super straight on the fight though, since you basically have to weave chat macros into your rotations lol

(for pad players anyway)
Mechanic call out + bongo macro spam has saved me from many a LotA wipes

Im having the absolute worse time trying to play FFXIV w/ the free trial. (PS4)

I download the client from PSN and it updates to the new launcher. The launcher opens and it pre-popluates the User Name field from when i played FFXIV during the beta. I dont know the password b/c it was literally years ago since i played. I finally figured out my password and i was able to get into the account management site but Im not able to get an OTP or a registration code so i can register my OTP app for my phone.

So I make a new account hoping that i'll be able to start fresh and delete the client form my PS4 and re-download. Open the launcher and it pre-populates my ORIGINAL USER NAME AGAIN.

I cant play the game because i dont have an OTP, i cant get an OTP b/c i can't get a registration code. I can't get a registration code b/c i downloaded the trial version of the game and i guess it doesnt give you one?

I played FFXI and PlayOnline wasn't great, but FUCK, it wasnt this horrible.

Any tips or suggestions? I really want to get back into FF Online but fuck, if this isn't making me sour on the entire experience...

Proper way to use Bahamut.

/micon "Summon Bahamut"
/ac "Summon Bahamut"
/p "Pillage him! Bahamut!"

/micon "Enkindle Bahamut"
/ac "Enkindle Bahamut"
/p "Begone!"

just make sure to condense a bunch of meme macro cats into it

That's a great idea.

This was pretty much mandatory in Bismarck EX PF groups. Because Bismarck's easy weather mechanics were hard for people.

Yeah, it just makes sense to have one the more I think about it.

(for pad players anyway)

I'll have to put it on my third bar. I don't think hitting it will be an issue. Probably less so once SB hits and I maybe gain a space or two on certain jobs on the second bar.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
"Let's balance content around WHM" is not actually a viable answer because WHM is not mathematically that stronger of a healer than AST. Basically if in 3.0 AST's healing kit felt like it was balanced against 2.0 healers, now it feels like WHM is stuck in 3.0 while the other two stepped ahead. The best WHM can do is emergency bomb under thin air and PoM/full lilies and that just sounds like a crutch for terrible healers.

Stone IV being 50 potency over Malefic III isn't even worth consideration.

And hell, if AST and SCH's kits (as well as all the new mitigation options of other jobs) stay as they are on the current tooltips, that kind of power is probably not necessary even for Gordias and Midas and they're not doing another Gordias or Midas so the point is moot!

I download the client from PSN and it updates to the new launcher. The launcher opens and it pre-popluates the User Name field from when i played FFXIV during the beta. I dont know the password b/c it was literally years ago since i played. I finally figured out my password and i was able to get into the account management site but Im not able to get an OTP or a registration code so i can register my OTP app for my phone.

So I make a new account hoping that i'll be able to start fresh and delete the client form my PS4 and re-download. Open the launcher and it pre-populates my ORIGINAL USER NAME AGAIN.

I cant play the game because i dont have an OTP, i cant get an OTP b/c i can't get a registration code. I can't get a registration code b/c i downloaded the trial version of the game and i guess it doesnt give you one?

Any tips or suggestions? I really want to get back into FF Online but fuck, if this isn't making me sour on the entire experience...

OTP isn't required to login if you don't set it up. It's an optimal security measure for your account

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

SE account ties itself to your PSN account during registration. You can't break this, only thing you can do is figure out your account details or start from scratch on a new PSN account that isn't tied to any SE account.

If you made it into the account management site then you should be able to get a new OTP reg code. If you've never had a OTP then you can just leave that field blank when logging in. If you only managed to log in only for it to ask you for your OTP and you don't have access to it, you need to contact support and ask them to reset your OTP. I think they ask you to send a copy of your state id but I'm not sure cause I've never gone through the process.

LordKasual

Banned
BRD and AST got some nice changes and new skills on them, but it looks like MNK is same old with boring new buffs, at least chakras will be something now instead of just a one time attack but only from lv 62+, they should had made the trail from the same level you learn that skill, and Brotherhood only gives a 5%, kinda disappointed since its the class I always have the most fun with. And they are still adamant to keep Lightning kick, I can never find a decent time to use it and its just hard to time when a boss will jump, sure it looks really cool but there is just no use for it, even less now that there is riddle of earth to try to keep grease lighting.

SMN also got nerfed hard while WHM got those lilies that sound healing overkill and more rng that even AST, their skills aren't visually appealing either.

Internal Release + SCH crit ability + Brotherhood should result in some pretty hilarious MNK antics

B.K.

I just got my Anima sword and shield to 260. I can finally retire my Kinna gear.

I'll be glad when PLD gets Shield Oath at 30. I got Blayflox's Longstop in the Duty Roulette for the Singing Cluster quest and it sucked tanking without it. At least it went a lot better than the first time I did that dungeon. I know more about what I'm doing than I did then.

MechaX

After reading up on it a bit more, SMN's jury is still out.

Bane really sucks now, but Fester sounds like a tool tip error more than anything else (it would be absolutely pointless for it to have the same potency as Painflare), and I think the 3 or 4 extra GCDs saved by not having to Bio I v. just Bio III/Miasma III may even things out in terms of DoT damage. Plus, Tri-Diaster's new Ruin debuff + being reset on DWT may also even things out in the grand scheme of things. The big thing is Demi-Bahamut, as SMN will have access to a 680 potency attack twice in 20 seconds when it's out, and it does a 160 potency attack along side any GCD action SMN does while it's out.

SMN definitely won't be AOE king with those Bane nerfs, but it's single target may still be pretty strong to compensate, depending on some of these tooltips.

Foxxsoxx

So I tried BLM because I really like their AF3 gear which looks basically just like Vivi's robes and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

039_thumb.jpg

The bard gear looks amazing as well, especially the female version.

iammeiam

After reading up on it a bit more, SMN's jury is still out.

Bane really sucks now, but Fester sounds like a tool tip error more than anything else (it would be absolutely pointless for it to have the same potency as Painflare), and I think the 3 or 4 extra GCDs saved by not having to Bio I v. just Bio III/Miasma III may even things out in terms of DoT damage. Plus, Tri-Diaster's new Ruin debuff + being reset on DWT may also even things out in the grand scheme of things. The big thing is Demi-Bahamut, as SMN will have access to a 680 potency attack twice in 20 seconds when it's out, and it does a 160 potency attack along side any GCD action SMN does while it's out.

SMN definitely won't be AOE king with those Bane nerfs, but it's single target may still be pretty strong to compensate, depending on some of these tooltips.

Have you read Hai Hai's insane 19 page preview speculation thing?

He seems pretty optimistic about SMN in general; his stuff is always interesting to read through, at least.

iammeiam

The JP Bane text as far as I can tell means the same thing, it just words it differently. Instead of spelling out the 20/40/60/80 reduction amounts target by target, it just says decreases by 20% each additional target down to a minimum of 20%.

Qvoth

huh, just realized in the jp tooltips version smn devotion buff only affects the party member closest to the egi

I am kind of worried about Dark Knight. I thought it was interesting having to decide between Delirium and Soulstealer based on whether you could spend mana for Dark Arts.

But now especially when Blood Weapon is down you're pretty much just going to be spamming Soulstealer over and over again.

Paladin gets to cycle between Goring Blade and Royal Authority and Warrior gets to go between Eye and Path depending on whether they need to put up slashing/+20% buff or build Beast Gauge.

I think it would have been better to just give Delirium another effect instead of putting it on a 2 minute ogcd. That complexity of managing the oGCDs, mana and multiple combos depending on your mana situation is what made Dark Knight fun to play, so removing part of that decision making process is going to negatively effect it. Whether the Blood Gauge can offset that or not will require some testing but looking at it now, I can't see how reducing Dark Knight combos so it has less than the two simpler tanks is going to be a positive gain in the end.

The JP Bane text as far as I can tell means the same thing, it just words it differently. Instead of spelling out the 20/40/60/80 reduction amounts target by target, it just says decreases by 20% each additional target down to a minimum of 20%.

I see.

That solves that question then.

MechaX

Have you read Hai Hai's insane 19 page preview speculation thing?

He seems pretty optimistic about SMN in general; his stuff is always interesting to read through, at least.

The funny thing is that I was starting to get super pessimistic on SMN this morning (to the point where I was thinking about switching back to BRD), but I read his guide during some downtime at work. After reading through it, I started to get a lot more optimistic about it. The "rotation" is pretty much what I suspected based on what we got; the key is how it ends up squaring down in the actual game.

I still think that the class got some pretty crucial nerfs in the grand scheme of things, but it'll still may even out in the grand scheme of things just the same (assuming that they intended on narrowing single target DPS fort these classes).

But BRD's changes though... they are still really interesting to me.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Doing any of 60-and-below content is gonna be real unpleasant on some of the jobs.
It's already kind of AIDS for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom