• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

Active Service Accounts
There are no active service accounts at the moment.

Cancelled Service Accounts
There are no service accounts that have been cancelled.

;________________;
Did you ever play the original FFXIV?

FYI, a FF XIV account is not the same as a Square Enix Account.

We were operating under the assumption that you had purchased FF XIV when it originally came out.

If you didn't, simply apply for the beta and you'll have a chance to get in.

Phase 4 will be open beta.

To play in retail, you'll need to buy the game.

Kyon

Banned
FYI, a FF XIV account is not the same as a Square Enix Account.

We were operating under the assumption that you had purchased FF XIV when it originally came out.

If you didn't, simply apply for the beta and you'll have a chance to get in.

Phase 4 will be open beta.

To play in retail, you'll need to buy the game.

ooooooooooooooooh gotcha and yeah i accounts on both Square sites.

Yeah i am not a legacy person.

Ravidrath

Please make it possible to kill monsters out in the field to level up.

The main concept of FFXIV: ARR is that you level up by playing content, so we do not have plans to have players level up by killing monsters in the field.

Xux

The main concept of FFXIV: ARR is that you level up by playing content, so we do not have plans to have players level up by killing monsters in the field.
Awesome. I like doing stuff.

Munba

I like they are solid with some of their base ideas. In any case the Guildhest should be suitable for who likes to exp with roaming mobs.

Kyon

Banned

That's good. They don't want people just going out there grinding monsters and not doing anything else

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Huh? You can't do this anymore?

Jinko

interesting policy...
this goes against most mmos that i know of

edit: translating some things i find are worth mentioning

your contribution on fates is determined by hate, not damage, so healers can still contribute to fate just by healing (personal note: in fact it could be better for healers just to aoe heal on fates since it will gain hate from multiple enemies)

number of players determine the HP and durability of the fate monsters

Yea lets see how long a healer lasts with more than 3 enemies and interrupts on them ;)

ok so when Phase 3 start, do you guys plan on gathering up and do stuff?

Is our friendlist carried over from 1.0? and if not, if we friend during phase 3, will it carry over to phase 4 / launch?

Everyone on your 1.0 friendlist will be resent an invite, whether they accept is up to them, it works differently in ARR than in 1.0.

Huh? You can't do this anymore?

Basically open world monsters give shit XP so they are mainly a means to and end of a quest or filling out your hunting log.

Hunting logs are quite fun and hopefully they will allow us to reset them once completed, plus other stuff like Fate and Guildhest will be open world.

Xux

Yea lets see how long a healer lasts with more than 3 enemies and interrupts on them ;)

Everyone on your 1.0 friendlist will be resent an invite, whether they accept is up to them, it works differently in ARR than in 1.0.
At least they tweaked the interrupt rate and gave Conjurer an instant cast spell.

Xux

Can you still do AOE mass death for oodles of EXP in the beastman strongholds?
Dunno, haven't gotten to them yet. Don't know if the EXP you get from each kill'll be worth it, either. Not to mention the strongholds may be mostly converted into instanced dungeons.
Beastman strongholds are likely to be large Fate area's so yea XP should be good there.
Or that.

Jinko

Can you still do AOE mass death for oodles of EXP in the beastman strongholds?

Beastman strongholds are likely to be large Fate area's so yea XP should be good there.

You get the majority of XP at the end of the fate though, so its more about completing a task instead of blowing up hundreds of monsters.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dunno, haven't gotten to them yet. Don't know if the EXP you get from each kill'll be worth it, either. Not to mention the strongholds may be mostly converted into instanced dungeons.Or that.

You get the majority of XP at the end of the fate though, so its more about completing a task instead of blowing up hundreds of monsters.

Ah. It was fun being on the cutting edge of XP maximizing back in the day. It was interesting to see how the min-max game evolved as the devs changed course over the months.

From efts, to raptors, to chaining shared leves, to mass murder of entire swaths of NPC baddies for crazy chain kill bonuses.

Jinko

Just read through the change list's, seems pretty good so far, funny how they contradict themselves in many questions though.

I like the a lot of whats in the change list aside from the TP generation methods right now but well see how those play out at higher levels.

My biggest issue is they don't realize how important sharing quests are. I tried to level up with two friends in the beta and it was such a pain in the ass having to verbally confirm all the quests we had and then finding out one of us was missing some and we'd have to have that person go back and try to find it or they'd be very behind in xp. I want to level with a group of friends from the start and not outstrip one another and if leveling through quest content is the predominant way they need to make more quests group friendly/oriented and make sharing quests possible.

I don't know how many of you remember 1.0 but I also started that with a group of friends and it was when xp received from a monster was based on performance I guess? (Seemed completely random) We had our healer occasionally not even receiving any xp or one player outstripping the rest and all the sudden our level disparity grew. That's basically when I gave up on playing as a group. I'd like that to not happen again

I like the a lot of whats in the change list aside from the TP generation methods right now but well see how those play out at higher levels.

My biggest issue is they don't realize how important sharing quests are. I tried to level up with two friends in the beta and it was such a pain in the ass having to verbally confirm all the quests we had and then finding out one of us was missing some and we'd have to have that person go back and try to find it or they'd be very behind in xp. I want to level with a group of friends from the start and not outstrip one another and if leveling through quest content is the predominant way they need to make more quests group friendly/oriented and make sharing quests possible.

I don't know how many of you remember 1.0 but I also started that with a group of friends and it was when xp received from a monster was based on performance I guess? (Seemed completely random) We had our healer occasionally not even receiving any xp or one player outstripping the rest and all the sudden our level disparity grew. That's basically when I gave up on playing as a group. I'd like that to not happen again

Group leveling in this game seems to be better done in either instances or leves. Second I'm not even sure about since I never did them in a group, but heard that that was the way to go.

Jinko

Yea I expect quest sharing to be something they add later on, it was years before WoW did it after all.

There may be a way to do it via an add on also.

The performance based XP no longer exists, well only on FATE's but that is optional content.

Riposte

They pretty much plainly state they are going for quantity over quality with sidequests. That's rather unfortunate. If they go too far, it will turn me off from doing them altogether. Doing quests is a big thing for me.

EDIT: On top of other leveling activities, it seems people want "daily quests". Not me.

EDIT: Also looks like we won't seeing the equivalent to the challenging job quests in 1.0. Just pile on the bad news.

zeitgeist

To be honest, I will miss the idea of EXP chains in parties if no one ever joins up just to kill stuff for xp.

I guess this is more like the FoV stuff from FFXI right?

To be honest, I will miss the idea of EXP chains in parties if no one ever joins up just to kill stuff for xp.

I guess this is more like the FoV stuff from FFXI right?

Exp chains exist here. You get chains from killing monsters in succession just like FF XI. However, the exp from killing monsters pales in comparison to the exp from quests and FATE.

Dungeon monsters give considerably more experience and you also get exp chains from killing those.

However, this is not a game where you find a camp somewhere in the open world and endlessly chain kill monsters to level. You could do that, but it would be horribly inefficient due to the low amount of exp world mobs give.

Riposte

Daily quests, A.K.A. Levequests? Those aren't exactly new here.

Exactly. I don't see the point. Levequests were pretty much very uninteresting side quests (which were pretty much endless in number) and now they are blending these two together. They even explain how both of them are designed for solo play in the same phrasing.

It is like in 1.0 they took out all the unpleasant ideas (which still have a role) of quests and separated them away from "side quests". Now they are mixing it all back in despite the separation still existing.

EDIT: People want them to remove timers from dungeons? ...of course they would.

Jinko

I am a bit concerned for healers based on the following:-

There are often times HP is recovered a couple seconds after the cure animation is completed, so please make it so HP is recovered right after casting is done.

SE: "Working as Intended, In FFXIV: ARR, the graphics and processes are tied to each other fundamentally, so cures will be executed on your target once they receive the effect.

I will check it out on NA/EU servers but if its still laggy I think I will quit white mage lol.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/36606-Why-no-love-for-healers

Coldsnap

What is ARR endgame going to be like? For those with multiple relics and everything at 50, what's there going to be left to do?

chris-013

From live letter IV :

A: The Crystal Tower is an alliance raid. It’s content that is taken on by an alliance of three parties, for a total of 24 players.

The Great Labyrinth of Bahamut and the Crystal Tower are similar in that neither of these raids will be completed in one visit. We will continue to add floors over the span of about a year and a half.

The Crystal Tower is, as I’m sure everyone knows, the last dungeon in FFIII. So as the floors increase, you can all ultimately expect something like the Cloud of Darkness to make an appearance.

It’s difficult to explain the Great Labyrinth of Bahamut without saying spoilers. Well, just as everyone saw at the beginning of the stream in the video, Dalamud actually contained Bahamut. So you might ask, “Why was Bahamut inside?” And I believe you all saw that a key-like object fall out of Dalamud and that’s a large part of Bahamut’s containment. It scattered all over Eorzea and is an important clue for the dungeon. You can take on the Great Labyrinth from various locations…

Well, if I say anymore it would weaken the impact for when everyone first enters the dungeon.

Events will develop on a grand scale, and there will be a huge number of bosses for each “episode” of the raid. So, it’s going to be hard if you don’t dish out enough damage.

It’ll probably take more than 10 or 20 wipes to really figure out.

Seth

The raids sound pretty awesome. I have THM/BLM at 50, I wonder how quickly we will be able to jump into these raids.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Healers will just have to play more than wack a mole if that's the case then :p

Timing a heal to go off half a second after a big hit lands should be common.

Ravidrath

Healers will just have to play more than wack a mole if that's the case then :p

Timing a heal to go off half a second after a big hit lands should be common.

This whole thing sounds overblown?

I haven't done any party play, but I find it hard to believe that healing in 2.0 is worse than 1.0.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This whole thing sounds overblown?

I haven't done any party play, but I find it hard to believe that healing in 2.0 is worse than 1.0.

It's overblown. Healing is fine.

But end game healing on harder fights should have plenty of split second timed heals. All 3 of the trinity should always be put under heavy stress *not at the same time obviously, fight specific*

EDIT: People want them to remove timers from dungeons? ...of course they would.

That was one of the more disappointing things I read. I thought it was a great idea, less skilled groups just focused on trying to complete the dungeon, while more skilled groups could get extra loot from chests outside the linear path. Oh well, at least they didn't scrap the timer completely.

Ravidrath

That was one of the more disappointing things I read. I thought it was a great idea, less skilled groups just focused on trying to complete the dungeon, while more skilled groups could get extra loot from chests outside the linear path. Oh well, at least they didn't scrap the timer completely.

I personally hate the idea of timed dungeons, but I think extending the timer well beyond the time the dungeon is expected to take is an acceptable alternative.

I think I'd be OK with exp. bonuses or some kind of relatively fleeting award for completing a dungeon, but after dealing with Mythrils and Salts I will rage if they start putting in speedrun incentives.

cool kids run around trees

and up and down caves

for hours

And by this measure, you are pretty awesome!

...But I don't think anyone will have to do anything like that in 2.0.

Seth

Phase 4 is going to open up to every one who has a pre order code right? NOT open beta?

Ive been in since alpha, but curious how many people will be in starting phase 4. I believe phase 4 is also when they will begin to keep character data.

Ravidrath

Are the relic quests going to be different in ARR?

Yes, but we don't know how yet.

To start, Hamlet Defense doesn't exist any more. And all the dungeons have changed. And materia melding is completely different now. And the Primal battles are different.

They've said they should be around the same level of difficulty, though, I guess?

Phase 4 is going to open up to every one who has a pre order code right? NOT open beta?

Ive been in since alpha, but curious how many people will be in starting phase 4. I believe phase 4 is also when they will begin to keep character data.

Phase 4 is completely open.

And, yes, they'll keep character data from Phase 4, at least if no major game-breaking bugs are found like gil-duping glitches, etc.

My plan is to use that time to work on story missions and get my Job Abilities back, etc. so I'm ready for real play when the game launches. Stuff that won't be too burdensome to do over if there are major bugs found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom