• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: People want them to remove timers from dungeons? ...of course they would.

In ARR, the timer is just failure vs success. There's no extra benefit to finishing under the time limit and it prevents people from taking their time to explore the dungeon if they want to.

That's the main reason why people want timers removed. I don't think as many people would be complaining if they could still complete the dungeon even if they didn't beat the timer.

Riposte

I'm not exactly in favor "speed run" bonuses. But a timer means players can't zombie their way through. Each wipe is a load of pressure added on. Every time they double or triple the time, the less pressure there is.

Jinko

This whole thing sounds overblown?

I haven't done any party play, but I find it hard to believe that healing in 2.0 is worse than 1.0.

I healed in a beta party several times and like others I just ended up spamming because timing a heal normally ended with the target dead, especially when there are multiple enemies attacking your tank.

It could have been exacerbated by latency (which I am hoping) so we will see.

That was one of the more disappointing things I read. I thought it was a great idea, less skilled groups just focused on trying to complete the dungeon, while more skilled groups could get extra loot from chests outside the linear path. Oh well, at least they didn't scrap the timer completely.

They plan to add hard mode dungeons with different placement monsters and design, I think they made the right choice, Speed runs in 1.0 were stupid, people were speed running Hakkue Manor in Phase 2 in less than 5 mins which was disappointing, hopefully the changes equate to no leashing in dungeons any more :D

Yes, but we don't know how yet.

To start, Hamlet Defense doesn't exist any more. And all the dungeons have changed. And materia melding is completely different now. And the Primal battles are different.

I think they said Hamlet defense will now be a FATE, hard to say if they will spawn a chest for top participants, unlikely though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not exactly in favor "speed run" bonuses. But a timer means players can't zombie their way through. Each wipe is a load of pressure added on. Every time they double or triple the time, the less pressure there is.

I like it because it doesn't let people play half ass. It's a group and for the most part going to be randoms. Not everyone has time to waste. Some people want to jump on get a dungeon done real fast and get off. The timers give you more than enough time to explore once you've done the place a few times as well.

Ravidrath

I like it because it doesn't let people play half ass. It's a group and for the most part going to be randoms. Not everyone has time to waste. Some people want to jump on get a dungeon done real fast and get off. The timers give you more than enough time to explore once you've done the place a few times as well.

The biggest problem, though, is that MMOs are played on the internet.

There was nothing worse in 1.0 when you were trying to speed run for Salts or Mythrils and doing well, and then someone disconnects, fucking the entire thing.

Or the boss changes position slightly for no discernable reason, wiping your party. Or someone lags a little and can't move out of the way in time, fucking the run.

There's just too much shit that can go wrong that just isn't the player's fault.

The other biggest problem is that MMO players are perfectionist dicks. So with speed runs, though, is that they incentivize "optimized" parties, which are always stupid and exclude large swaths of players and classes. In 1.0 for Aurum Vale and Cutter's Cry, this usually meant you couldn't participate if you didn't have a well-geared MNK and BLM. Not only does it limit playstyle, it just creates dumb drama.

Seth

There was nothing worse in 1.0 when you were trying to speed run for Salts or Mythrils and doing well, and then someone disconnects, fucking the entire thing.

Or someone lags a little and can't move out of the way in time, fucking the run.

Hopefully some of the lag issues will be fixed if we choose a server in our region.

The other biggest problem is that MMO players are perfectionist dicks. So with speed runs, though, is that they incentivize "optimized" parties, which are always stupid and exclude large swaths of players and classes. In 1.0 for Aurum Vale and Cutter's Cry, this usually meant you couldn't participate if you didn't have a well-geared MNK and BLM. Not only does it limit playstyle, it just creates dumb drama.

As someone affected by this I agree.

Ravidrath

Hopefully some of the lag issues will be fixed if we choose a server in our region.

Lag will be less of a problem, I think, but disconnects will always be a problem. And if your content is impossible because shit happens, then it gets frustrating quickly - something will happen to one of your eight party members every night, almost without fail.

*pets his dusty automaton*

I miss my Totomo.

...Really, they should have added a Bard frame, and that probably would've solved all the invite issues.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Or the boss changes position slightly for no discernable reason, wiping your party. Or someone lags a little and can't move out of the way in time, fucking the run.

There's just too much shit that can go wrong that just isn't the player's fault.

Well with the auto group finder thing it's going to toss you in right away and start the timer. I doubt people will have time to bitch and kick you out and wait for another because in doing so they are screwing themselves worse haha.

I'll have some faith in them not to screw up. From what I've played so far lag hasn't been an issue at all in dungeons and I've been healing.

There will always be elitist though, and most likely those same people will be doing their own things with their own groups. Toss in the people that have run the same thing over and over and over and just want to get what they need and get things over with. It can seem like some people are jerks.

I am so sick of Gridania. I hate the music that plays in town as I find it rather sappy and obnoxious. I guess it fits the tone of some kind of forest town though. But it sure won't be my starting town! I am just dying to see the other cities and lands in phase 3. It's kind of hard to believe that things are finally falling into place with FF XIV.

Ravidrath

I am so sick of Gridania. I hate the music that plays in town as I find it rather sappy and obnoxious. I guess it fits the tone of some kind of forest town though. But it sure won't be my starting town! I am just dying to see the other cities and lands in phase 3. It's kind of hard to believe that things are finally falling into place with FF XIV.

I'm debating changing to another nation in 2.0, but I think I still prefer the tone of their Grand Company and leader to the other nations'.

Same. Lancer is going to be my main class, but I can easily get some of my other classes leveled first just to not start there in live.

I wonder how the story quests are going to work in this? Will they all converge and stay the same at a point, or will they stay separate with only some points being similar to other cities?

Ravidrath

Same. Lancer is going to be my main class, but I can easily get some of my other classes leveled first just to not start there in live.

I wonder how the story quests are going to work in this? Will they all converge and stay the same at a point, or will they stay separate with only some points being similar to other cities?

If it's like XI and XIV 1.0, which I think it will be...

- There will be at two main storylines: the main scenario and the Grand Company storylines
- The main scenario functions separately from everything else
- The Grand Company storylines will be mostly separate, but will converge on big boss battles so you can team up with your friends

So each Grand Company will have different gating cutscenes and progress quests, but the major story beats and battles will be shared with the others.

Riposte

I've always thought, ever since doing BCNMs in FFXI, that there should be a "pause" feature for instanced (or semi-instanced) content. All activity stops and characters and enemies just stand there until the game gets "unpaused". Maybe it still eats up time, maybe it can only be used after a DC, maybe it can only last a few minutes.

Xux

I just hope I'll be able to play the other cities' stories.

Also, I didn't noticed there were Mamool Ja in La Noscea in the last Live Letter until someone on the Lodestone forums pointed it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JQF1zzLMp5U#t=1760s

Jinko

Lag will be less of a problem, I think, but disconnects will always be a problem. And if your content is impossible because shit happens, then it gets frustrating quickly - something will happen to one of your eight party members every night, almost without fail.

I think they said that the big end game raids won't have timers as they want players to chip away at the dungeons like crystal towers over days/weeks.

I always felt that timers in 1.0 actually stop you have fun, instead of enjoying yourself you feel constantly pressured, as you say it also creates drama when one person does something unusual and gets the whole group killed.

Seth

I think they said that the big end game raids won't have timers as they want players to chip away at the dungeons like crystal towers over days/weeks.

I always felt that timers in 1.0 actually stop you have fun, instead of enjoying yourself you feel constantly pressured, as you say it also creates drama when one person does something unusual and gets the whole group killed.

Any idea if there will be a wow like LFR system for these raids? Think we will be able to just fins a group and join when we feel like it or will we need to be joining a linkshell that schedules and runs these raids?

Jinko

Any idea if there will be a wow like LFR system for these raids? Think we will be able to just fins a group and join when we feel like it or will we need to be joining a linkshell that schedules and runs these raids?

Don't think they plan a LFR system.

Riposte

Pressure is fun. The threat of something going wrong easily makes it all the better when something doesn't (i.e. you did a good job).

chris-013

Musketeer > Scholar confirmed :

book-gun-05-curatedmag.jpg

:D

Agreed. Dungeon time limits are dumb, especially when the goal isn't to complete it as fast as possible and there is no supporting reward system in place that encourages faster completion. I was surprised that the entire reason they implemented them was for performance. I guess this way they can have less instances open and for shorter periods of time. Maybe they will lift this restriction at some point in the future.

ZenaxPure

Can you imagine the potential wait time for it to fill out 24 people?

You'd be surprised, the LFR system in WoW is 25 people and speaking as someone who uses it literally every day it just depends on a lot of factors. During prime times the wait times on previous tiers of content is instant for tank/healers and about 10 minutes tops for DPS. Current tier during prime time is instant for heals/tanks and about 20 to 40 minutes for DPS. During the odd hours (4 in the morning for example) is when the wait times are more random, I've had some pop in 10 minutes and others 2 hours.

I don't really think number of people is what would hold a system like that back, though. It's more that you have to modify the content so 24 strangers who have never met can get together and clear the content fairly easily. That's the basis of the WoW system, remove the normal/hard mode mechanics that are too hard for strangers then modify the rest so they do way less damage and are more forgiving. To be honest I didn't get a chance to mess around with 14's endgame in 1.0 so I don't really know what sort of difficulty the fights were or what they plan to go with in ARR, so I will be interested in trying them out to see how challenging they are in comparison to WoW which I am accustomed with.

I think it would be easier to find 24 people across all servers than trying to manually form a party of 24 people on a single server. At least, I don't think the wait time would be any worse.

Jinko

TBH I would imagine a LFR finder would take less time than shouting for people to fill up a group.

I see it as something they might consider adding later down the road, however I doubt it will be cross server.

Seth

They would certainly need to implement a LFR that could pull in people from multiple realms. I hope the duty finder will eventually do this as well.

However, if the difficulty of the content is either already doable without a TON of coordination, or if it could be slightly dumbed down to accommodate the unlikeliness of 24 random people all being skilled enough to work together then I think a LFR type system would be great here.

Seth

The wait has less to do with population and more to do with role imbalance, so... argument isn't valid

Truth. Their new flex raid system seems kind of interesting though. I hope it works out the way it sounds. Would be great for all MMOs to adapt it and avoid role deprivation.

Vashetti

Banned
Has anyone got their Phase 3 Beta code yet?

It's only 4 days to go until it starts and I'm kinda worried that I might've missed out.

Put in my code from FF13 ages ago, I assume we get some sort of priority, otherwise it makes the codes a bit redundant, no?

Mastamind

Has anyone got their Phase 3 Beta code yet?

It's only 4 days to go until it starts and I'm kinda worried that I might've missed out.

Put in my code from FF13 ages ago, I assume we get some sort of priority, otherwise it makes the codes a bit redundant, no?

I'd give them till wednesday, but things will likely go out in a few hours or tomorrow morning.

ReconPeon

So am I correct in my understanding that anyone who played the original ffxiv can participate in this beta?

If so, when or where can I download the client?

Sorry I have been out of the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom