• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alur

I'm playing on PS3 and I absolutely love it. Controls are great, only extra thing I'd recommend is a usb keyboard for chatting.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it. What options are there for voice chat though? I don't know of any is why I'm asking.

On an unrelated note, my Geforce 660 Ti is really going crazy now. I have no stuttering whatsoever in any facet of this game on high settings. Suddenly I log out and back in and the my entire computer shuts down right as my character loads. FFXIV is the only non-background thing running. Try again, does it again.

I load up the game with Standard settings and it plays fine for about 30 minutes. Logged back out to take care of something...log back in and computer shuts down. Like someone jerked the cord out of the wall. I have no clue WTF the issue is. GPU overheating, powersupply swamped? I've never had an issue like this with any other game. I run SWTOR, FIFA 13, XCOM, and Borderlands 2 fairly regularly, with no hiccups.

PS3 version looking better by the minute =/.

Mastamind

Quick question: Do only legacy characters get the option of using their old characters? I have a friend who wasn't Legacy but still had a character. Is she out of luck?

All 1.0 characters will be brought over once those characters are available.

But 1.0 characters can only go on servers marked as legacy. Anyone can create a brand new character on any server.

Shamdeo

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it. What options are there for voice chat though? I don't know of any is why I'm asking.

On an unrelated note, my Geforce 660 Ti is really going crazy now. I have no stuttering whatsoever in any facet of this game on high settings. Suddenly I log out and back in and the my entire computer shuts down right as my character loads. FFXIV is the only non-background thing running. Try again, does it again.

I load up the game with Standard settings and it plays fine for about 30 minutes. Logged back out to take care of something...log back in and computer shuts down. Like someone jerked the cord out of the wall. I have no clue WTF the issue is. GPU overheating, powersupply swamped? I've never had an issue like this with any other game. I run SWTOR, FIFA 13, XCOM, and Borderlands 2 fairly regularly, with no hiccups.

PS3 version looking better by the minute =/.

Check your temperatures, you might be running too hot.

I was in beta earlier, and the same thing was happening to me.

Found out I was running really hot and I dusted out my computer. Worked like a charm after that.

Teknoman

Had good fun with the beta, didn't get to progress all that much, but it was all a blast... up until that bugged quest where people made the line!

Will try to put some more time in next week, are they wiping week to week or is it just between phases?

Between phases.

EDIT:

iQ5gI6TAWqde9.png

i8WLil8VrJJws.png

ibryzTG01W2H7A.png

i3LmgydmxJkFO.png

itT2xTaKXFTxr.png

ilkRd2vNom5Ul.png

iI2WCafat5m2S.png

iLleiGVNolntq.png

ib0vzXOY73TLUY.png

iQoOcs5kNwrPs.png

iuG6rxEDHI4FG.png

And of course:

inaSKNKK5S9Uy.png

iAtmCvXie8hyH.png

iteRBWr9uJbhO.png

Alur

Check your temperatures, you might be running too hot.

I was in beta earlier, and the same thing was happening to me.

Found out I was running really hot and I dusted out my computer. Worked like a charm after that.

Will give that a try. I don't understand it though...shouldn't it lag or BSOD before it just shuts off?

vivin

Loving those screenshots Tek!

Had a blast so far in phase 3, everything runs super smooth. Also got a few mates who completely wrote off v1.0 playing again, which is a miracle in itself.

frequency

I meant to just play a little but I ended up playing all night in the Beta. I looked at all 3 cities. Everything really changed a lot from launch. Then I spent like 2 hours just exploring in random directions starting from Limsa Lominsa. I wasn't really thinking much about it but afterwards I realised I haven't had this much fun in a MMO in a long time... and I didn't really even do anything except run around. I tried starting from the 2 other cities and just running until I died. But I didn't make it very far from Ul'dah or Gridania.

I have no idea how the combat or questing or guild leves (are those even still in?) hold up. I just love the world they crafted and the world and exploring it is the most important part of an MMO for me.

I really hope the world holds up and there are enough areas and variety. I was already running into level 35 areas.

I didn't know about the NDA and tried to stream it for a GAF friend but some people came in to yell at me so I had to stop. I also took random screenshots of everything.

Teknoman

Guildleves are still here, they're just a little more involved now. You unlock them at level 10, go meet an npc either in town or outside in a smaller camp/outpost/village, and once you pick your leve, you have to go to that spot and then check your journal to activate it.

It sounds sorta the same as 1.0, but its alot better in practice and the changes go a long way to not making it feel monotonous.

frequency

Guildleves are still here, they're just a little more involved now. You unlock them at level 10, go meet an npc either in town or outside in a smaller camp/outpost/village, and once you pick your leve, you have to go to that spot and then check your journal to activate it.

It sounds sorta the same as 1.0, but its alot better in practice and the changes go a long way to not making it feel monotonous.

Ah. I never made it to level 10... I was mostly just exploring.

The beach area is my favourite:

I also thought this was really cool

Sorry it's lower resolution. I needed to play in lower resolution in a window for... reasons.

Xux

Looks like the cross-Class Actions Jobs can use are different in the Beta compared to 1.23:

Paladin: Marauder and Conjurer
Monk: Gladiator (instead of Archer) and Lancer
Warrior: Gladiator and Pugilist
Dragoon: Marauder (instead of Pugilist) and Archer
Bard: Lancer (instead of Thaumaturge) and Conjurer
White Mage: Thaumaturge (and Arcanist?)(instead of Gladiator and Pugilist)
Black Mage: Archer (and Arcanist?)(but not Pugilist anymore)

Summoner (or Scholar depending on which is considered part of this set) would have
Pugilist and Thaumaturge
if they stick with each Class' actions being usable by two Jobs.

Pretty interesting.

Someone on Reddit made a Google Docs thing with all the cross class abilities:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsPI9Wq6z6GwdHJEYmR0Qjk4QzV2SmYzVzhYTVdCSkE#gid=0

Looks like the cross-Class Actions Jobs can use are different in the Beta compared to 1.23:

Paladin: Marauder and Conjurer
Monk: Gladiator (instead of Archer) and Lancer
Warrior: Gladiator and Pugilist
Dragoon: Marauder (instead of Pugilist) and Archer
Bard: Lancer (instead of Thaumaturge) and Conjurer
White Mage: Thaumaturge (and Arcanist?)(instead of Gladiator and Pugilist)
Black Mage: Archer (and Arcanist?)(but not Pugilist anymore)

Summoner (or Scholar depending on which is considered part of this set) would have
Pugilist and Thaumaturge
if they stick with each Class' actions being usable by two Jobs.

Pretty interesting.

Uhh, so Monk can't be Pugilist? Huh? But a summoner can be Pugilist? Sounds stupid as hell.

Xux

Uhh, so Monk can't be Pugilist? Huh? But a summoner can be Pugilist? Sounds stupid as hell.
...what? No. Jobs can use all of the abilities from their own class plus abilities from two others unlike classes which can use abilities from all of the other classes.

Jinko

Monk is the job for Pugilist, a Monk is in effect a Pugilist with better abilities.

To be a Monk you have to have Pugilist at 30+ and another class at 15, you can then use skills from Gladiator and Lancer, although it's limited in which ones you can use.

Jijidasu

Any of you get far enough to see how FC's work? I seen a few around on Ramuh but they didn't have crests, just an abbreviation (assumed) in brackets. I'm going to be disappointed if they don't have icons/crests like linkshells did. And seeing that they are no longer supporting LS icons in ARR having nothing in place for FC would really remove that sense of identity we associate to them.

Caerith

Test periods are too short. It's so bizarre that they wouldn't let people play on Sundays either. If this was all I had to go on, I don't think I've seen enough to convince me to re-sub.

And it's strange, logging in to Lodestone and seeing people commenting on my Tanaka fanfic eight months after I wrote it.

Jinko

Any of you get far enough to see how FC's work? I seen a few around on Ramuh but they didn't have crests, just an abbreviation (assumed) in brackets. I'm going to be disappointed if they don't have icons/crests like linkshells did. And seeing that they are no longer supporting LS icons in ARR having nothing in place for FC would really remove that sense of identity we associate to them.

Yea agreed, it's a lot easier to spot an icon than someones name when out running about.

I think they did say that we will get FC crests though.

I hope i'm wrong but I don't see many use in having glad skills as a Monk.

Depends how good they are at evasion tanking.

akaoni

Banned
Test periods are too short. It's so bizarre that they wouldn't let people play on Sundays either. If this was all I had to go on, I don't think I've seen enough to convince me to re-sub.

And it's strange, logging in to Lodestone and seeing people commenting on my Tanaka fanfic eight months after I wrote it.

They do, in Japan.

elyetis

Depends how good they are at evasion tanking.
Right forgot about that. Who know, since we finaly have stances, they might bring back the idea of tanking with monk through evasion. If my memory serves me right, before the v1 release they were speaking about switching between stance to either be dd or tank.

Jinko

Well next week will be another chance for you to convince yourself lol.

There is a reason they close it down on Sunday but I can't remember what it was, something to do with the feedback meeting on Monday morning I think.

Seems like a lot of good impressions on the Beta forum also.

Thoraxes

Welp, it's been fun.

ffxiv2013-06-1603-02-wru70.png

Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer
The Copyright Material is provided ‘as is.’ Square Enix does not make any representations or warranties regarding the Copyright Material. Any use by you shall be at your own risk.

Caerith

Well next week will be another chance for you to convince yourself lol.

There is a reason they close it down on Sunday but I can't remember what it was, something to do with the feedback meeting on Monday morning I think.

Seems like a lot of good impressions on the Beta forum also.
Well, what I mean is, in 1.0 they didn't have a UI, an economy, job/class system that made any sense, or content. With all the time they've given me, I've been able to confirm that they now have a UI and some content (if introductory fetch quests count as such). I haven't had enough time to try out the job/class system, and who knows how the economy will shape up (since I wasn't even given the option to buy or sell stuff and see how that worked).

1.0 players are still getting a 30 day trial when ARR launches, right? Do we still get early access to that (to make it, like, 40 days) or is that what the beta is considered? That's when I'll have to decide, I suppose, but I doubt I'll be convinced to shell out $15/month or whatever.

Jijidasu

I posted some feedback regarding the lack of individuality with Limit Breaks. I think the concept of a shared Limit Break (Omni Slash) for damage dealers is lazy and overbearing with fan-service. Each new level seems to add another strike from what I observed.

It's a waste as they could really do so much by separating them and giving a Limit Break unique to each class. Whether or not my opinion will be heard is another matter though.

Caerith

I posted some feedback regarding the lack of individuality with Limit Breaks. I think the concept of a shared Limit Break (Omni Slash) for damage dealers is lazy and overbearing with fan-service. Each new level seems to add another strike from what I observed.

It's a waste as they could really do so much by separating them and giving a Limit Break unique to each class. Whether or not my opinion will be heard is another matter though.
Even pugilists and archers do Omni Slash? Link me that thread, I'll gladly +1 it.

Jinko

I agree, I would rather they launch with one tier 1 limit break for all classes than 3 for each role.

I wasn't very impressed with the THM's first limit break either, in fact when I used it the others in the party didn't even notice it haha.

Caerith

Archers are actually considered support, they do Healing Wind.
That's... I only made it to level 10 on archer, but the skill tree, as far as I could see, was damage, damage, damage + poison, damage, shadowbind. I guess at level 12 they get damage + healing?

ebil

That's... I only made it to level 10 on archer, but the skill tree, as far as I could see, was damage, damage, damage + poison, damage, shadowbind. I guess at level 12 they get damage + healing?
Archers eventually become Bards, which is a ranged DD + light support class. I think they split it that way to even things out between classes, but I agree it feels weird at lower levels.

Caerith

Archers eventually become Bards, which is a ranged DD + light support class. I think they split it that way to even things out between classes, but I agree it feels weird at lower levels.
How does that work? At a certain level, I have to turn in my bow for a tuba?

Jijidasu

I don't want to post a link to my thread for it might get me and others in trouble but it's under feedback. I hope the concept is further revised but I'm not sure if it's feasible at this point in time (phase 3 being near gold in terms of development timing).

Need some confirmation on Free Company crests, too.

Edit: some images from the test.

1440p, SweetFX, 4x SGSSAA

H88RObC.jpg

wJbhUhg.jpg

BFvU4nq.jpg

I7IL5q7.jpg

ZETxila.jpg

2yFDoYv.jpg

Copyright (C) 2010 - 2013 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer
The Copyright Material is provided ‘as is.’ Square Enix does not make any representations or warranties regarding the Copyright Material. Any use by you shall be at your own risk.

ebil

How does that work? At a certain level, I have to turn in my bow for a tuba?
Haha. :)
When the game releases, you'll be able to undertake a quest at level 30 to gain a Bard "Soul Crystal". Equipping it will turn your Archer (class) into Bard (job). You'll retain all your Archer skills and get new actions on top of them.

Caerith

Haha. :)
When the game releases, you'll be able to undertake a quest at level 30 to gain a Bard "Soul Crystal". Equipping it will turn your Archer (class) into Bard (job). You'll retain all your Archer skills and get new actions on top of them.
Reading up on this... they added jobs in the stupidest way possible.

I mean, I get the melee class/job assignments. The classes and their resulting jobs aren't really compatible lore-wise-- a crowd-pleasing pit fighter becomes a holy defender, a gambling house debt collector becomes a monk-- but at least the weapons line up.

But the magic/support class/job splits? Let me get this right: White Mage, Black Mage, Bard, and Summoner (coming soon!). And you have a class that won't shut up about the elementals, a class that deals with the border between life and death, a class that shoots stuff with arrows, and a magic class nobody has seen yet but supposedly they have books. Conjurer is just begging for Black Mage (they already had all the elemental spells) and/or Summoner (because elementals), but they had Cure so they got White Mage; it didn't even make sense for CON to have Cure, they shouldn't have had it in the first place, but because of that they lost half their elemental spells and become healers. Thaumaturge was just begging for White Mage (who else straddles the line between life and death but a career healer?), but instead they pick up a bunch of elemental spells and become Black Mages. Archers should have gotten a Musketeer or Ranger job, but they instead get Bard, because somebody had to get Bard, and Arcanists weren't in the game yet, and Gladiators already got Paladin.

Styles

Hmm, so you can only purchase the "digital upgrade" edition once the game has launched along with the FFXIV Service Centre?

I didn't really get to play that much, but from what I've experienced, it looks like I'll be here for the long haul.

Jinko

Reading up on this... they added jobs in the stupidest way possible.

I mean, I get the melee class/job assignments. The classes and their resulting jobs aren't really compatible lore-wise-- a crowd-pleasing pit fighter becomes a holy defender, a gambling house debt collector becomes a monk-- but at least the weapons line up.

But the magic/support class/job splits? Let me get this right: White Mage, Black Mage, Bard, and Summoner (coming soon!). And you have a class that won't shut up about the elementals, a class that deals with the border between life and death, a class that shoots stuff with arrows, and a magic class nobody has seen yet but supposedly they have books. Conjurer is just begging for Black Mage (they already had all the elemental spells) and/or Summoner (because elementals), but they had Cure so they got White Mage; it didn't even make sense for CON to have Cure, they shouldn't have had it in the first place, but because of that they lost half their elemental spells and become healers. Thaumaturge was just begging for White Mage (who else straddles the line between life and death but a career healer?), but instead they pick up a bunch of elemental spells and become Black Mages. Archers should have gotten a Musketeer or Ranger job, but they instead get Bard, because somebody had to get Bard, and Arcanists weren't in the game yet, and Gladiators already got Paladin.

Complain much, Beta forums are here:- (you'll fit in just fine there)
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/forum.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom