• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jijidasu

Working together with Dega and Robo now for each respective LS having a space for information in regards to what each LS stands for and what kind of goals they have. Will be up in the OP as soon as I get the PM's. Please look forward to it.

mingus

I had a hard time evading AoEs; I'd be out of the circle for, what seemed like, a whole second but I'd still take the damage. I guess I'm still lagging; I had R:500+ the whole time.

They might as well take out target lock if you have to react that quick, though.

I had to turn off target lock because strafing out or just turning around and running out was faster than backing out of aoe.

I had a hard time evading AoEs; I'd be out of the circle for, what seemed like, a whole second but I'd still take the damage. I guess I'm still lagging; I had R:500+ the whole time.

They might as well take out target lock if you have to react that quick, though.

Same. Am playing on the NA server as well. Also still had the problem with hitting moving mobs. Was really apparent with that boss in one of the instances where he spawns adds that go to break down a wall. Couldn't hit them at all till they already stopped to work on it. The stuns aren't real stuns in the game either, they just stop attacks, so he could still run or pluck away at the wall meaning nothing I could do. Good thing you could just go balls out on the boss and tank the adds with the marauders cone thing.

Some of those small buffs can be the difference between life and death if 1.0 ifrit was any indication, but i get what you're saying. Pugilist seems to be the most diverse melee with all the stances.

Most of the gamechanging abilities are job specific.

Just because they make a difference on the end game boss fights doesn't make them fun to use. For an ability to justify a cooldown it needs to make you balls out better when it is up. So far the only thing that really made that noticeable difference to me is that guaranteed crit and heal skill that lancer has, and only barely.

I had to turn off target lock because strafing out or just turning around and running out was faster than backing out of aoe.

Think with "legacy controls" enabled you never back up, just run straight away in the direction you are moving. I don't use it though so not sure. Hold a mouse button down and strafing out or turning and running is just as fast for me.

Pugilist is deceptive like that. It's skills work different then any of the other melee, but at the end of the day it doesn't mater. They might as well have the same "combo bonus - does extra damage" that other classes have since needing to be in a form that a previous skill puts you in has the same effect.

Xux

What do the Pugilist Forms do anyway? It seemed like they were more than just flags for certain combos since you could stack them on themselves.

Do the elemental fists have a cost now? I don't remember seeing one.

This game would be amazing if it had a dodge roll like GW2. I'd prolly stop playing any other games....

Ah what the hell..i'll prolly stop playing other games anyhow..game is great!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This game would be amazing if it had a dodge roll like GW2. I'd prolly stop playing any other games....

You know, after playing TERA\GW2\NWNO i've come to the conclusion that while active parry\dodge is great for solo, it shits up party content to extents not worth the hassle if you want any serious PvE.
Seriously, balancing cutting-edge raids when everyone has invulnerability frames available to them gets complicated really, really fast. Especially if you want to make content that's hard, but still clearable by those who do not have lightning-fast reflexes.

Teletraan1

Banned
I found that most of those red circle AOEs even if you got out to the edge of the circle you would still take trivial damage. Either I had lag, which I dont think I did, it said excellent, or the damage caused is greater the closer to the center you are. I always tried to get further than minimum distance out and it served me well in the beta on my Pugilist. I played on a keyboard and I also remap A and D to strafe left and right. I have always done this on every MMO since I have never seen the need to spin in place and it opens up Q and E for moar spells.

I have never played this game before this Friday and I have to say i loved it. There are some small things like dodgy textures on NPCs that I hope they fix but nothing that they cant fix over the course of the game. I think its now starting with an excellent base. It has a level of polish that is way better than SWTOR had in its beta that I participated in. I just pre-ordered it and felt like playing it when I woke up today.

Kesagiri

This is going to be a long week waiting until the next test this weekend. I didn't get to finish that gargoyle fight because of the line.

ZenaxPure

You know, after playing TERA\GW2\NWNO i've come to the conclusion that while active parry\dodge is great for solo, it shits up party content to extents not worth the hassle if you want any serious PvE.
Seriously, balancing cutting-edge raids when everyone has invulnerability frames available to them gets complicated really, really fast. Especially if you want to make content that's hard, but still clearable by those who do not have lightning-fast reflexes.

Don't make them invulnerable. The Monk roll in WoW is effectively a dodge ability, but, if you are still standing in the shit on the ground when the enemy uses his attack you will still take damage mid-roll. The Secret World works the same way actually and it feels fine, even if you are rolling when you dodge as long as your body is in the radius of damage you will take it. Making you fully immune to damage is a problem, though, when you are going for the trinity design. Parry isn't really an issue as long as you make it so there is a cap to the damage you can actually mitigate.

I am not really saying FF14 needs either of these things, but, I do think it's weird to have attacks that can be avoided (which a lot of mobs seem to have) and not having any real way to get out of the way.

Xux

Man, if Monk can tank in ARR, I'll probably stick with it for sure.

The concept of a damage dealing only class needs to be wiped from existence.

As much as it pains me, I agree with that. One of the biggest reasons why I loved Tera was how much I could solo as a Slayer that I knew I would have no chance killing alone in other mmos no matter how much skill I had. But there really is no way to balance massive end game bosses around that that doesn't make the game way too balls hard or require a bunch of gear farming to remove "instant death skill".

Still wish Tera had more staying power, and didn't go f2p, as I would much rather be playing it right now. What happens when you make mmorpgs that you can do absolutely everything in them in 2 months though.

Man, if Monk can tank in ARR, I'll probably stick with it for sure.

The concept of a damage dealing only class needs to be wiped from existence.

I respectfully disagree. DD only for lyfe son. Sure I've moonlighted as tank classes, but always end up maining a class that can only do damage and do it well.

mingus

In gw2 at least, having those invulnerability frames is kind of a necessity because there isn't a traditional healer role available.

Boss Man

So I enjoyed the beta a lot and it gave me good FFXI vibes so I will most likely be playing this.

...but I'm not sure if I want to join the GAF legacy server or start on a new one. It seems like it'd be a more special experience starting out on a brand naked ass new baby server.

So I enjoyed the beta a lot and it gave me good FFXI vibes so I will most likely be playing this.

...but I'm not sure if I want to join the GAF legacy server or start on a new one. It seems like it'd be a more special experience starting out on a brand naked ass new baby server.

Theres a gaf fresh server too

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
That's good to have. Would compiling a list of players of who is going where needed? There was also the talk of Red Dot. Or is that just something off to the side?

RD is the LS we had on Sarg for awhile now but when ARR starts up players will be going to Gathered Against Fate as the GAF LS.

I think just the linkshells descriptions is good enough. We don't have to add names of people and where they're going to complicate things.

Emitan

I wonder if my new laptop can run this. I guess I can test it next weekend.

CPU: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3537U Processor (2.0GHz 1600MHz 4MB)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
RAM: 6.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

I guess it depends on how GPU heavy it is.

Riposte

I'm annoyed about losing PGL abilities... I really liked the evasion dodge vs AoEs, but then AoEs are so easy to manually dodge in this game, so whatever. While it is cool that AoEs are both easy to read and make to move around a lot, it simplifies the game and lessens the impact of having "dodge" moves. That was a huge part of how I played DRG.

Reading up on this... they added jobs in the stupidest way possible.

I mean, I get the melee class/job assignments. The classes and their resulting jobs aren't really compatible lore-wise-- a crowd-pleasing pit fighter becomes a holy defender, a gambling house debt collector becomes a monk-- but at least the weapons line up.

But the magic/support class/job splits? Let me get this right: White Mage, Black Mage, Bard, and Summoner (coming soon!). And you have a class that won't shut up about the elementals, a class that deals with the border between life and death, a class that shoots stuff with arrows, and a magic class nobody has seen yet but supposedly they have books. Conjurer is just begging for Black Mage (they already had all the elemental spells) and/or Summoner (because elementals), but they had Cure so they got White Mage; it didn't even make sense for CON to have Cure, they shouldn't have had it in the first place, but because of that they lost half their elemental spells and become healers. Thaumaturge was just begging for White Mage (who else straddles the line between life and death but a career healer?), but instead they pick up a bunch of elemental spells and become Black Mages. Archers should have gotten a Musketeer or Ranger job, but they instead get Bard, because somebody had to get Bard, and Arcanists weren't in the game yet, and Gladiators already got Paladin.

You are mostly right that they didn't really implement jobs all that well, but Archer becoming Bard isn't so bad at all. It sort of fits with the Robin Hood-ish folk character playing tunes, I've seen that connection often. Plus: bows are stringed instruments.

On the bright side, jobs are pretty neat mechanically and their quests were both interesting and challenging.

I just don't know if that was worth completely throwing (the thematically more interesting and appropriate) classes under the bus. They don't coexist despite the game saying they do as classes are just a means to an end here and their "lore" falls to the wayside pretty quickly (in ARR THM comes off as wonky as hell from the start. Their explanation for fire, ice, and thunder magic is... weird to say the least).

I'm annoyed about losing PGL abilities... I really liked the evasion dodge vs AoEs, but then AoEs are so easy to manually dodge in this game, so whatever. While it is cool that AoEs are both easy to read and make to move around a lot, it simplifies the game and lessens the impact of having "dodge" moves. That was a huge part of how I played DRG.

Still haven't found where we are getting that info from, the new class skills for jobs I mean. Not that I doubt it, just curious.

Guess I could just stop watching e3 coverage stuff that I missed and start looking in the usual places.

vivin

Oh man, I cant decide on which server to join >_<

All 3 have their advantages.

Jijidasu: is the server/LS ok for someone who isnt fluent in Japanese? reason I ask is I'm from New Zealand, so my playtime will fall closer to those from Oceanic/Japan. I'm also a old time FFXI player who again, played mostly with Japanese due to time zones

Riposte

Jijidasu: is the server/LS ok for someone who isnt fluent in Japanese? reason I ask is I'm from New Zealand, so my playtime will fall closer to those from Oceanic/Japan. I'm also a old time FFXI player who again, played mostly with Japanese due to time zones

Hmm, sadly I feel like this kind of situation would work better if the Japanese were on global servers where it would be expected to run into non-Japanese players. I can imagine tools like the auto-trans falling to the wayside. That's just my 2 cents.

PopInnovation

Neo Member

I won't speak on behalf of Jijidasu, but should be absolutely fine dude. I speak very minimal Japanese and get along with Japanese players just fine. The translator works just as well as it did in FFXI for getting any objectives across at least.

I'm an aussie and also an old time FFXI player, so I was in the same boat. Never had any issues then and hopefully won't now on a Japanese server (I live in Seoul now so I am in the exact same time zone as Japan).

Keep in mind these servers are global, but the server itself is based in Japan. I'm sure they are well aware they are going to run into non-Japanese players, and during the beta last week the translator tool was being used a lot in shouts.

Jijidasu

Are you able to understand at least a moderate amount of Japanese? It doesn't necessarily apply to our FC/LS but in general if you're looking to do things outside of the LS it'll be essential if you're looking to make friends. I think you can cope if you can't communicate back to Japanese players but being able to understand what is being said is a must (ie: In a dungeon where I or another bilingual member can't afford to stop mid fight and translate).

I can understand where you're coming from in terms of your physical location being an Australian native. When I played FFXI I could only rarely ever join in events with English speaking friends. If you're still unsure I'm pretty certain there are a number of Oceanic LS's forming and they're organising stuff on the beta forums.

Edit: random:

HvClP4B.jpg

Xux

Still haven't found where we are getting that info from, the new class skills for jobs I mean. Not that I doubt it, just curious.

Guess I could just stop watching e3 coverage stuff that I missed and start looking in the usual places.
If you hover the mouse over Actions, it'll show a description box that lists the classes and jobs that can equip it.

vivin

Are you able to understand at least a moderate amount of Japanese? It doesn't necessarily apply to our FC/LS but in general if you're looking to do things outside of the LS it'll be essential if you're looking to make friends. I think you can cope if you can't communicate back to Japanese players but being able to understand what is being said is a must (ie: In a dungeon where I or another bilingual member can't afford to stop mid fight and translate).

I can understand where you're coming from in terms of your physical location being an Australian native. When I played FFXI I could only rarely ever join in events with English speaking friends. If you're still unsure I'm pretty certain there are a number of Oceanic LS's forming and they're organising stuff on the beta forums.

Thanks for the reply. I would say I'm at around JLPT5 level of Japanese, which is not high level at all. So while I could understand basic/simple talk, advance battle tactics will be over my head ^^;

I might just create a character on a few servers and see which place feels more like home

Lucis

Or you can learn Japanese.
I learned Japanese playing 11 back in the days.

But I feel there's no reason to explicitly to seek out Japanese player anymore. Gonna roll on the english speaking servers ;/

Dunan

Thanks for the reply. I would say I'm at around JLPT5 level of Japanese, which is not high level at all. So while I could understand basic/simple talk, advance battle tactics will be over my head ^^;

I might just create a character on a few servers and see which place feels more like home

Even at JLPT 1 you will struggle with all the abbreviations and game-specific lingo; I'm at that level and I feel somewhat like someone in the Anglosphere who speaks English fluently but has never been exposed to, say, text messaging, might feel. Totally at sea half the time.

Jinko

I have to admit that I also got hit by a lot of those red circle AoE's but normally because I was too slow or lazy to move lol.

I hate stopping a cast mid way through ><, every time I prioritised safety over damage I would have no problems getting out of the circles, although the frog circles are massive lol.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Not sure if anyone has the answer to this, but once our character data is wiped after phase 3, will our character creation pre-sets also be wiped? Or is that data saved locally?

Not a big deal but it'll be nice if it carries over between versions to save a bit of time when re-creating.

N.A

Banned
Not sure if anyone has the answer to this, but once our character data is wiped after phase 3, will our character creation pre-sets also be wiped? Or is that data saved locally?

Not a big deal but it'll be nice if it carries over between versions to save a bit of time when re-creating.

Probably deleted but the new benchmark will release between phase 3 & 4 that allows character creation and importing into phase 4/release.

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Probably deleted but the new benchmark will release between phase 3 & 4 that allows character creation and importing into phase 4/release.

Bummer, I'm on PS3. Still a chance it'll carry over but it could be saved on the character server(?) so we'll see. Thanks anyway man.

Jijidasu

Even at JLPT 1 you will struggle with all the abbreviations and game-specific lingo; I'm at that level and I feel somewhat like someone in the Anglosphere who speaks English fluently but has never been exposed to, say, text messaging, might feel. Totally at sea half the time.

Kind of agree, if you're coming from a beginner level you might find yourself a bit dizzy but so long as you let the people you're talking to know that you're not fluent they'll usually break it down into simple lingo for you.

Random but in many ways I kind of feel that I need to half attribute my success in getting JLPT1 a second time (to see if I had lost anything over the years) to FFXIV lol. A lot of the terminology they use is pretty simple to put together but if I'm ever lost I just tell them youngin's to quit the slang and give me some real words!

desu

Read through the Materia FAQ on the Lodestone, looks pretty good. Also all the hundreds of crap Materia I saved might come in very very handy now!

Jinko

If you hover the mouse over Actions, it'll show a description box that lists the classes and jobs that can equip it.

God damn I am dumb as shit. Been looking over screenshots of all the class abilities all day and didn't even notice that.

Still don't know what to think for Dragoon losing the pug stuff to gain marauder stuff then. Seems like a downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom