• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the cross-Class Actions Jobs can use are different in the Beta compared to 1.23:

Paladin: Marauder and Conjurer
Monk: Gladiator (instead of Archer) and Lancer
Warrior: Gladiator and Pugilist
Dragoon: Marauder (instead of Pugilist) and Archer
Bard: Lancer (instead of Thaumaturge) and Conjurer
White Mage: Thaumaturge (and Arcanist?)(instead of Gladiator and Pugilist)
Black Mage: Archer (and Arcanist?)(but not Pugilist anymore)

Summoner (or Scholar depending on which is considered part of this set) would have
Pugilist and Thaumaturge
if they stick with each Class' actions being usable by two Jobs.

Pretty interesting.

Someone on Reddit made a Google Docs thing with all the cross class abilities:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsPI9Wq6z6GwdHJEYmR0Qjk4QzV2SmYzVzhYTVdCSkE#gid=0

How did they get that info/is there a new data mined skill list out? Would be interested in any changes to the jobs skills since the last datamine.

Also no sure how I feel about swapping pugilist for marauder for Dragoon skills. Lose an instant heal, timed crit buff, timed evasion buff, and timed increased healing for a timed heal on attack, timed defense up, and another dot.

Xux

How did they get that info/is there a new data mined skill list out? Would be interested in any changes to the jobs skills since the last datamine.

Also no sure how I feel about swapping pugilist for marauder for Dragoon skills. Lose an instant heal, timed crit buff, timed evasion buff, and timed increased healing for a timed heal on attack, timed defense up, and another dot.
It's just from reading the action descriptions in game in the beta. We won't know about Job abilities until we can use our imported characters.

It's just from reading the action descriptions in game in the beta. We won't know about Job abilities until we can use our imported characters.

Job abilities were in the game last beta phase and got data mined. What descriptions mentioned this stuff? I'm not doubting it, I just like to see what I missed along the way.

dwix

Well, I played this entire weekend using the controller and I am extremely impressed with how well it works. Being able to sit on the couch and play on my TV with a controller and wireless keyboard was awesome.

That may all go out the window once I get more skills (got to 15 on PGL) or start doing more party-based content, but that will probably be my control method of choice moving forward.

Also, with SLI now supported, my frame rate was butter smooth.

Can't wait to play when I know my character isn't going to be wiped :)

Meh... the more I think about it, the more I consider starting new on a non-Legacy server, I keep thinking about how fun it is to be in that new economy/leveling cycle.

Then on the other hand, I think about all the time put into DoL/H jobs and all the gear progression I tackled on my legacy character, not to mention all the cap gear/AF I'd be needing to re-get.

Quite the choice to think about...

Anyone else second guessing the return to their legacy characters?

omlet

Nope, not in the slightest.

Paladin: Marauder and Conjurer
Monk: Gladiator (instead of Archer) and Lancer
Warrior: Gladiator and Pugilist
Dragoon: Marauder (instead of Pugilist) and Archer
Bard: Lancer (instead of Thaumaturge) and Conjurer
White Mage: Thaumaturge (and Arcanist?)(instead of Gladiator and Pugilist)
Black Mage: Archer (and Arcanist?)(but not Pugilist anymore)
Interesting changes... going off 1.x class skills and what I've seen of ARR that means...

MNK: Less squishy, loses an aggro-drop skill
DRG: Kinda evens out
BRD: DPS increase
WHM/BLM: Remains to be seen.

Also, with SLI now supported, my frame rate was butter smooth.
I was getting 60 at max settings on a 1080p HDTV for most of the time, but it would dip to 50 in crowded areas like sanctuary camps or in some parts of the city. And that's with a 3750k i5 and a GTX670. Gonna have to do some tweaking...

Ferr986

I still need to try the beta but if its good and very different from the original I may start fresh, to get the hadle of the new mechanics and play with newcomers too.

I agree, I would rather they launch with one tier 1 limit break for all classes than 3 for each role.

I wasn't very impressed with the THM's first limit break either, in fact when I used it the others in the party didn't even notice it haha.

lol, I was in that group. All that build up to try and activate the limit break and it was so inconsequential that no one even noticed it. I'm really disappointed with what I've seen so far of the Limit Break system.

They kept saying they were going to redo the battle regimen system throughout development. Other than limit breaks and the combo system which is executed individually, it seems like this is all we're going to get. I still miss skill chains and magic bursting. :(

BLCKATK

Reading up on this... they added jobs in the stupidest way possible.

I mean, I get the melee class/job assignments. The classes and their resulting jobs aren't really compatible lore-wise-- a crowd-pleasing pit fighter becomes a holy defender, a gambling house debt collector becomes a monk-- but at least the weapons line up.

But the magic/support class/job splits? Let me get this right: White Mage, Black Mage, Bard, and Summoner (coming soon!). And you have a class that won't shut up about the elementals, a class that deals with the border between life and death, a class that shoots stuff with arrows, and a magic class nobody has seen yet but supposedly they have books. Conjurer is just begging for Black Mage (they already had all the elemental spells) and/or Summoner (because elementals), but they had Cure so they got White Mage; it didn't even make sense for CON to have Cure, they shouldn't have had it in the first place, but because of that they lost half their elemental spells and become healers. Thaumaturge was just begging for White Mage (who else straddles the line between life and death but a career healer?), but instead they pick up a bunch of elemental spells and become Black Mages. Archers should have gotten a Musketeer or Ranger job, but they instead get Bard, because somebody had to get Bard, and Arcanists weren't in the game yet, and Gladiators already got Paladin.

I'll fill in the blanks for you a bit with the class to job lore. This is how it is from what I understand..

Gladiator to Paladin: In Ul'dah, there is a specific army that protects the Sultan (the elected 'leader' of Ul'dah, but Ul'dah is really run by merchants known as the Syndicate) from all harm that would come her way. They are known as the Sultansworn. They are adamant protectors sworn to the crown. Some are the elite. They are known as Paladins. Since Gladiators are from Ul'dah, it would make sense for the elite of the Gladiator community to be approached and asked to become part of the Sultansworn elite.

Conjurer to White Mage: In Gridania there are a horned race known as the Padjal, there are several npcs that hold story significance that are this race in game. These guys have a special connection to the elementals and are their chosen race. The Padjal are currently in the process of reviving the once dead art of White Magic (it was used for evil prior to 1.0's beginning) and those that can use it are tied to the elementals fate. Since the Conjurer guild leader himself is a Padjal, it would make sense for him to take the best of the crop and introduce them to White Magic.

Thaumaturge to Black Mage: The Thaumaturges of Ul'dah research a lot of information about life and death but also the Umbral and Astral balance of Aether. From my understanding this balance is what allows Conjurers and Thaumaturges to use magic. In the questline from 1.0, a prisoner was hearing the voices of Nald'thal, the patron god of the Thaumaturge. As the player progresses you fulfill a prophecy to restore the art of Black Magic, the ultimate destructive force. Since this is the opposite of what Gridania is all about, I think Black Magic could definitely have a good home here.

Archer to Bard: Everyone hates this one, but things in Eorzea are a bit different than the other FF regions. During wars from ages past, Archers would obviously hang tight in the back and rain arrows on their enemies. Sometimes shit got a little too real. So the archers would sing aloud to their comrades to inspire each one of them to continue fighting. After awhile they realized their was certainly a magical property to all of this anxiety singing. So the art of the Bard was born. These guys would sing songs to help their comrades fight as well as throwing their own damage into the mix. They aren't fully musicians, they are fighters as well. The moogles (and I'm guessing the elementals as well) elect someone of excellent archery, as well as bardic ability, to become the Godsbow, a special title. All that stuff starts up the Bard quest.

Pugilist to Monk: Back when their was a city state called Ala-Mhigo, their armies were formed of their famous pikemen but also some front line hand to hand fighters known as Monks. They used Chakra and what not to subdue their enemies. Well, Ala-Mhigo got messed by the empire, and their home was destroyed. All of them became refuges and the art of the Monk was surely lost. Well as a Pugilist you are out doing one of your jobs and you end up running into a researcher and such, who has connections to one of those Monks of old. He says you have the aptitude to become a monk, so why the hell not?

Lancer to Dragoon: Pretty much the same as Monk. The Lancers tell you to go to Ishgard and then boom you get swept up in all of that.

Marauder to Warrior: Reogydan Hellsguard use the tons of rage in their fighting style, and someone named Curious Gorge came down off the mountain and is willing to spread his style.

Sorry for the longwinded explanations, I hope that clears up some stuff for you.

omlet

lol, I was in that group. All that build up to try and activate the limit break and it was so inconsequential that no one even noticed it. I'm really disappointed with what I've seen so far of the Limit Break system.
When I was running dungeons last night we were testing out each type of limit break. When I used it as PGL (in the 18-21 level range) it was doing over 400 damage to boss enemies (almost 500 on Ifrit; finished him off with it after healer died and we were close to losing the tank). Considering my normal TP attacks were doing like 30 (crits in the 50s) damage, that's a pretty considerable chunk of damage. I think balance-wise the DPS one is pretty strong.

The healer one was very underwhelming--we could hardly even tell when it was used.

Tank one is obvious when it is used and it might have its uses but in those low level dungeons we never needed to use it (even though our MRD tank kept spamming it because he thought him using LB would trigger the damage one lol).

I still miss skill chains and magic bursting. :(
Me too D:

LowParry

I'm a little dissappointed I didn't take enough screenshots. I did notice a Ifrit battle where the pt were around lvl 22. Is that close around or past Drybone?

omlet

I'm a little dissappointed I didn't take enough screenshots. I did notice a Ifrit battle where the pt were around lvl 22. Is that close around or past Drybone?

I didn't take enough, either :(

But part of the problem was that I didn't have FRAPS installed until the last minute and the game won't let you take screenshots during events (like when I had time to stop and push the key)

Ifrit battle is around level 20. It's at Drybone after you are lead there by the main questline after doing the three dungeons. We cleared it with a party of 21s in 2 tries (first try healer went down right after hellfire so we lost the tank and wiped before we could burn him).

LowParry

Can someone outline what each LB does? I don't think I ever saw them used in any of my groups, lol.

Tanks - Def boost for the party
Melee - single target dps
Caster - AoE dps
Healer - group heal / raise fallen party member/s

But part of the problem was that I didn't have FRAPS installed until the last minute and the game won't let you take screenshots during events (like when I had time to stop and push the key)

Ifrit battle is around level 20. It's at Drybone after you are lead there by the main questline after doing the three dungeons. We cleared it with a party of 21s in 2 tries (first try healer went down right after hellfire so we lost the tank and wiped before we could burn him).

Oh nice. Guess that's what I'll get to do this weekend.

By the way, I think I posted two drunk posts last night. And I think I answered questions. Lucky me I didn't start a new thread in the OT side. Oh man. lol

Edit: Oh and another thing. Who was I grouping with the other night. Tera and Youichi (I'm sure I spelled out this one wrong). It's going to be sad when it gets to the point where we can't have Tera heal for us. :(

Is it the quest where you get captured and put in some underground area? Was the last thing I did before logging off for something last night.

koji kabuto

So i just preordered the EU FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Collector´s Edition (PC-Download) for 39.99€

Some how i got confused, im i still gonna receive the stuff in here...
1369322776-final-fantasy-xiv-ce.jpg

Or that is for retail version only ?

desu

Wow game seems to look really awesome from the posted screenshots. Can't wait to check out the game once the legacy characters are in.

LowParry

I think spent a good 5 hours playing around with the character customization. Are there still option missing or do we have it all now with Phase 3?

Teknoman

Uhh, so Monk can't be Pugilist? Huh? But a summoner can be Pugilist? Sounds stupid as hell.

I think they just opened more abilities for jobs. Paladin used to just be Gladiator as a base with extra stuff from Conjurer + whatever job exclusive skills.

Now its Gladiator as a base, with skills that can be used from Marauder and Conjurer + whatever job exclusive skills.

Lucent

Where can I see all the info for Phase 3? Is this going to only be playable on weekends and that's it for the whole phase? That kinda sucks if true. How can you only allow 2-3 days to be allowed to play at all? lol

Mature

They should pull LB from the launch, work on it and make it a bit more substantial, and put it in the first big update. As it stands, it sounds like it's an unneeded element of gameplay that dilutes rather than adds to the experience.

Mandoric

Banned
So, anyone else here playing in Japanese?

In the set of missions that unlocks wider travel,
did you notice that one of the Imperial soldiers who's described as a "midlander" in English is "Dalmascan" in Japanese?

LowParry

They should pull LB from the launch, work on it and make it a bit more substantial, and put it in the first big update. As it stands, it sounds like it's an unneeded element of gameplay that dilutes rather than adds to the experience.

I was hoping the LB were more job specific but everyone can do the same thing. I like the idea behind the tank and healers LB but for dps, it's kinda off. Though it sure is damn cool seeing someone do that Omnislash.

akaoni

Banned
So i just preordered the EU FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Collector´s Edition (PC-Download) for 39.99€

Some how i got confused, im i still gonna receive the stuff in here...

Or that is for retail version only ?

I paid £15.85 (€18~) for the regular edition and I'll have early access. Crazy price.

Whats wrong with LB now? An extra situation ability that is used in groups? People still mad it isn't completely different between classes and acts just as fanservice?

Mature

Whats wrong with LB now? An extra situation ability that is used in groups? People still mad it isn't completely different between classes and acts just as fanservice?
It just seems like something that could be a dynamic aspect of partying, but instead seems like just a "cool thing that we get to do sometimes". That being said, I'm basing this off of other people's accounts, not my own.

scosher

It just seems like something that could be a dynamic aspect of partying, but instead seems like just a "cool thing that we get to do sometimes". That being said, I'm basing this off of other people's accounts, not my own.

Yeah, it seems like something thrown in because of all the complaints with the static battle system.

I posted on their beta forums already, but the game definitely needs more active combat abilities. Most of our skills are a damaging attack with X power coefficient or a modest self-buff on a 90-120 second cooldown. The game could really benefit from spell interrupts, active blocking abilities, dodge rolls that cost TP, and staple movement abilities like charges and blinks. One of my favorite abilities to use in GW2 on Elementalist was simply a move that turned you into a Ball Lightning that let you zap forward 1200 yards. It was a good escape move and very fun to use. FF14's combat could really use more flavor like that.

falastini

I think spent a good 5 hours playing around with the character customization. Are there still option missing or do we have it all now with Phase 3?

I believe they said everything is in, minus extra haircuts. But they are going to add some kind of hair changer after release?

I'm sour that they aren't adding any more facial hair, or at least decoupling the face type from the facial options. Their reasoning for it didn't make any sense.

Is there no data mined ability list anywhere, since the NDA is dropped? It would be useful in helping determine which job I want to play.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, it seems like something thrown in because of all the complaints with the static battle system.

I posted on their beta forums already, but the game definitely needs more active combat abilities. Most of our skills are a damaging attack with X power coefficient or a modest self-buff on a 90-120 second cooldown. The game could really benefit from spell interrupts, active blocking abilities, dodge rolls that cost TP, and staple movement abilities like charges and blinks. One of my favorite abilities to use in GW2 on Elementalist was simply a move that turned you into a Ball Lightning that let you zap forward 1200 yards. It was a good escape move and very fun to use. FF14's combat could really use more flavor like that.

I actually don't mind the slower speed of the combat in FF14, but I do find the fact that the GCD is 2.5 seconds kind of crazy. That is such a huge GCD.

As for the rest of the combat I can't really say until I play it at max level some, looking through the abilities I saw how a lot of it could be fun, but I am curious if there will be any nuance to it or if it will all be pretty straight forward. As for healing/tanking, I haven't really looked into that at all yet.

dwix

I was getting 60 at max settings on a 1080p HDTV for most of the time, but it would dip to 50 in crowded areas like sanctuary camps or in some parts of the city. And that's with a 3750k i5 and a GTX670. Gonna have to do some tweaking...

If it helps, I wasn't at max settings. I didn't even care, though. It looked so great at whatever my custom settings were...

I'd expect your 670 would handle whatever settings I had just fine, as I'm on 560ti SLI. I didn't really play around with video settings to see how far I could push it.

Caerith

If it helps, I wasn't at max settings. I didn't even care, though. It looked so great at whatever my custom settings were...

I'd expect your 670 would handle whatever settings I had just fine, as I'm on 560ti SLI. I didn't really play around with video settings to see how far I could push it.
I'm on a single 570 and had everything turned up to max, ran smooth as silk at 1920 x 1080. I tried it for a bit at 2560 x 1440 as well but that made the UI too small to comfortably read.

I agree with that a lot. Seems like every single ability for all the melee classes are the same. Just a slightly different damage coefficient or place you need to stand. Or a tiny buff that doesn't really mater. I honestly really don't like those. Why not make the active abilities actually mater in a big way to justify their cooldown? Whats wrong with a 90% defense or dodge increase for the low 10 seconds that they give it to you? I mean I understand that they don't want people abusing that shit cross class, but I'd rather just not have cross class skills if it meant having skills that felt cool to use. The stun that like every class seems to get seems good when you can get it to stop a skill, but then has a long ass cooldown and not going to get it to work multiple times. Also has the problem with every class being basically the same playstyle.

Some of that stuff may be for jobs. Like I know from the datamined skills that Dragoon seems to have a new jump that takes you too the target instead of returning you to place, as well as the backjump from before. So that works as a nice "shadowstep" even if limited. Going though half the game before getting really cool usable active abilities seems lame though. Jobs would be the place to hide the actual fun skills since you can't cross class them. Seems they have designed themselves into a corner.

Teknoman

Some of those small buffs can be the difference between life and death if 1.0 ifrit was any indication, but i get what you're saying. Pugilist seems to be the most diverse melee with all the stances.

Most of the gamechanging abilities are job specific.

Jinko

Where can I see all the info for Phase 3? Is this going to only be playable on weekends and that's it for the whole phase? That kinda sucks if true. How can you only allow 2-3 days to be allowed to play at all? lol

Well they are testing stuff, this isn't a free trial like other MMO's, free trial is phase 4.

This week was testing PS3, next week its importing of 1.0 characters.

ZiZ

Meh... the more I think about it, the more I consider starting new on a non-Legacy server, I keep thinking about how fun it is to be in that new economy/leveling cycle.

Then on the other hand, I think about all the time put into DoL/H jobs and all the gear progression I tackled on my legacy character, not to mention all the cap gear/AF I'd be needing to re-get.

Quite the choice to think about...

I still can't see the appeal of fresh start servers.

even if I was starting fresh, I'd go to a legacy server.

Jijidasu

I don't know if this is normal fare for developers but it seems a lot of people (in Japan as well) had an error 90000 which is the restriction of packets ISP side (usually in hopes to prevent p2p/piracy as far as I know). I used to have the equivalent problem in old FFXIV and my only work around was to use a USB dongle Internet provider until I could change my home line.

How does Yoshida handle it? - Calls up every ISP that was restricting it and asks them to make an exception for FFXIV. Yoshida for president.

Protip: dont stand inside red target circles, you can dodge those attacks.

It was amazing how many people didn't seem to realize that moving would be a good idea.

The only AOEs I had a hard time avoiding were the damn goblins and their bomb toss. (I love that the AoE circle is away from them a little ways as though they tossed a bomb)

Xux

I had a hard time evading AoEs; I'd be out of the circle for, what seemed like, a whole second but I'd still take the damage. I guess I'm still lagging; I had R:500+ the whole time.

They might as well take out target lock if you have to react that quick, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom