• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

froliq

Is it possible to register a ARR code on my account while I already have 1.0 registered? I assume being a 1.0 player and non-legacy doesn't net me any of the in-game rewards or early access and I might bite on that ARR CE. I found some answers, but not one specifically for my situation.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Is it possible to register a ARR code on my account while I already have 1.0 registered? I assume being a 1.0 player and non-legacy doesn't net me any of the in-game rewards or early access and I might bite on that ARR CE. I found some answers, but not one specifically for my situation.

Yes, you can register a ARR code into your account.

All 1.0 accounts will be upgraded to ARR, Legacy only qualify you for the discount.

If you want physical, you can buy the CE if not you can upgrade your version to CE after launch.

N.A

Banned

SE has said that 1.0 standard edition owners must use the digital CE upgrade offer that will be available at launch to get the ingame items. There is no way to use a physical CE code to upgrade a standard 1.0 account. It really sucks and I posted a thread about it here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Te...h-1.0-players-who-want-to-buy-the-physical-CE

If you do not care about your 1.0 characters you can just make a new xiv service account in your SE account though.

Fortunately for me I will sell the CE game code to a friend for the cost of the digital CE upgrade (probably $20) and still get the pre-order code. It's a situation that never should have happened though...

mackaveli

Read through the Materia FAQ on the Lodestone, looks pretty good. Also all the hundreds of crap Materia I saved might come in very very handy now!

Can anyone explain Materia to me?

I am still confused about it. I am also confused about spiritbonding and how do I get materia?

ebil

Someone made a spreadsheet with all cross-class actions: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rue&sortcolid=10&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250. From the look of it, both WHM and BLM will get ACN cross-class actions.
Can anyone explain Materia to me?

I am still confused about it. I am also confused about spiritbonding and how do I get materia?
While you gain experience points, the gear you're wearing will gain "spiritbond" points. When your spiritbond points reach 100% on a particular piece of gear, you will be able to convert said piece of gear into a single random materia. The materia you will get depends on the gear you converted (ie mage gear is more likely to give mage-y materia stats such as increased MP or INT). A crafter can then affix materia to slotted gear to enhance their stats. He'll need a catalyst called Carbonized Matter to do that. For instance, using Carbonized Matter, a weaver will be able to affix the MP materia you just made to a slotted robe to add an MP bonus to it.

Be warned that you first have to complete a main story mission (it's around level 18 IIRC) in order to be able to convert materia.

Onemic

Whenever I log in through the launcher the play button is grayed out and above it there's the word "undefined". Anyone know how to fix this?

Xux

Whenever I log in through the launcher the play button is grayed out and above it there's the word "undefined". Anyone know how to fix this?
Yeah, wait until the next testing period like the thread title says.
When the Beta starts again next weekend, will a fresh batch of codes be sent out?

Hoping I still get one if so.
They haven't said yet.

There's a whole bunch of posts on the Japanese side of the Beta forums if someone wants to glance over them:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/search.php?searchid=3895558

omlet

The fix is to read the beta forums for the testing schedule. Servers are down until the weekend which is why you get that message.

froliq

SE has said that 1.0 standard edition owners must use the digital CE upgrade offer that will be available at launch to get the ingame items. There is no way to use a physical CE code to upgrade a standard 1.0 account. It really sucks and I posted a thread about it here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Te...h-1.0-players-who-want-to-buy-the-physical-CE

If you do not care about your 1.0 characters you can just make a new xiv service account in your SE account though.

Fortunately for me I will sell the CE game code to a friend for the cost of the digital CE upgrade (probably $20) and still get the pre-order code. It's a situation that never should have happened though...

Ugh, that sucks. Horrible situation for people with a high 1.0 character or legacy status. Digital CE doesn't sound interesting at all.

I was planning to start fresh anyway, so I might just make that new account or maybe even look into the PS3 version, but that seems to cost more and I have no intention to play this on my PS3. I don't feel like getting the CE now after reading through that thread, however having early access is gonna be a big deal for me and I have to make a new purchase for it.

Ala Alba

Ugh, that sucks. Horrible situation for people with a high 1.0 character or legacy status. Digital CE doesn't sound interesting at all.

I was planning to start fresh anyway, so I might just make that new account or maybe even look into the PS3 version, but that seems to cost more and I have no intention to play this on my PS3. I don't feel like getting the CE now after reading through that thread, however having early access is gonna be a big deal for me and I have to make a new purchase for it.

Actually, you CAN apply the PS3 CE version codes to your PC 1.0 service accounts.

You just can't do it with a new PC CE version code.

Ferr986

Hey guys I have a spare NA beta code (didn't work for me as I'm based in the UK).

First to quote will get a PM.

wait, beta codes are restricted to regions? Im EU but my 1.0 character isn in a NA account. (currently Im still waiting for SE to give my code for being an 1.0 player)

Lucis

wait, beta codes are restricted to regions? Im EU but my 1.0 character isn in a NA account. (currently Im still waiting for SE to give my code for being an 1.0 player)

You don't need a code i thought, all you need is to log on your SE account and activate it.

OK,
so here's a serious question.

I got my GLD to about 22 and decided to try something else for that beta phase. I went back to Grandaria and changed to CNJ. I notice that the Grandaria starting quest (at the adventure's inn) wasn't available for me. Am I missing something or is it intended
because that the 3 nations eventually converge on quest line at 15 and I have done one line of the quest already

BLCKATK

OK,

I got my GLD to about 22 and decided to try something else for that beta phase. I went back to Grandaria and changed to CNJ. I notice that the Grandaria starting quest (at the adventure's inn) wasn't available for me. Am I missing something or is it intended
because that the 3 nations eventually converge on quest line at 15 and I have done one line of the quest already

Working as intended.

Ferr986

You don't need a code i thought, all you need is to log on your SE account and activate it.

OK,

Nope, launcher still ask me for a code after logging in, and theres nothing in SE management page.

Jinko

Erm, starting a new class should bring the starting quest back though for that region ;/

No because you can't experience the starting quest more than once, you are changing class, not being reborn.

Because the 3 nations stories converge it would be like going back in time or something weird.

Lucis

No because you can't experience the starting quest more than once, you are changing class, not being reborn.

Because the 3 nations stories converge it would be like going back in time or something weird.

Which means missing the starting quest/story for 2 other regions you will never get, for FF14 where you are supose to be able to do everything on 1 character, this is kinda =(
I mean it's not that big of a deal since you can always make another character and do 15 levels of stuff in 3-4 hours...

BLCKATK

Which means missing the starting quest/story for 2 other regions you will never get, for FF14 where you are supose to be able to do everything on 1 character, this is kinda =(
I mean it's not that big of a deal since you can always make another character and do 15 levels of stuff in 3-4 hours...

You aren't losing much. The starting quests work as an introduction to the region, its way of life, and its enemies. All things that are explained through the quests throughout the city and the camps right outside the city, that are available to everyone.

Speaking of the main quest, been meaning to ask about this. Anyone want to tell me what they had to deal with and what happened along the way in their cities main quest till the convergence? Masked man trying to fuck with something major in your region that you saved? What npcs helped you out?

Also what order did it have you do the first three instances in? Just curious to see what all is different.

Do you lose EXP like you did in FF11 when dying? Didn't die during the beta so I have no idea about it.

Neg. After level 15 or so you get a debuff that lowers your stats though. If you die again with it on you get a more sever one. Only lasts a few minutes.

Always been a big fan of funny quest names, looks like this team has done a great job at funny parody memes:

nC8XvD0.jpg

BLCKATK

Man. I'm already having withdrawals. :( Skyrim. Why you no satisfaction to me!

I know that feel.

By the way, has anyone been checking this out? FFXIV Skill Database

I've been reading the descriptions. I like all the Bard skills so far. We finally have a song that debuffs the enemy, but when we use support songs, our attack potency goes down. I guess I'll take that, since we are supposed to be more support based anyway. Some of my favorite weapon skills have definitely been nerfed though. Spirits Within is a 300 Potency attack with 1s Silence instead of a giant enmity gain. We'll see how that works out.

Norua

Banned
Do we know for a fact that we'll have longer sessions in the future of Phase 3 / Phase 4 (meaning more than the common "friday-sunday 48h deal")?

Jijidasu

There seems to be a lot of negative reception to the battle system from players coming from FFXI. What do you guys think? I'm more paranoid than anything that it's going to be pushed back again because of these institutionalised new folk coming around with these crazy demands.

I personally feel that Yoshida is walking the just path here in the way he's using FFXIV to bring people up to standards on contemporary MMO battle systems, all the while putting his own special touches on it.

A lot of the people complaining on the Japanese side aren't saying directly they're coming from FFXI (because they'll be shot down immediately) but they had hoped for immediately accessible actions via the hot-bar and more menu navigation for combat, and that they want it changed. Unfortunately for them seeing as the entire concept for the battle system is placed around speed you'd need to have lighting fast reflexes to navigate a bunch of menus a la FFXI through a 2.5 second GCD.

Edit: Nice interview, Ravi. Interesting about no cross-region matchmaking.

Allard

There seems to be a lot of negative reception to the battle system from players coming from FFXI. What do you guys think? I'm more paranoid than anything that it's going to be pushed back again because of these institutionalised new folk coming around with these crazy demands.

I personally feel that Yoshida is walking the just path here in the way he's using FFXIV to bring people up to standards on contemporary MMO battle systems, all the while putting his own special touches on it.

A lot of the people complaining on the Japanese side aren't saying directly they're coming from FFXI (because they'll be shot down immediately) but they had hoped for immediately accessible actions via the hot-bar and more menu navigation for combat, and that they want it changed. Unfortunately for them seeing as the entire concept for the battle system is placed around speed you'd need to have lighting fast reflexes to navigate a bunch of menus a la FFXI through a 2.5 second GCD.

As a FFXI player, the only thing I don't like about the combat is from something selfish, I kind of liked the more leisurely aspect of FFXI combat when lvling, I also liked dual boxing and the more frantic nature of this gameplay makes that harder XD. Aside from that though I enjoy it for what it is and in no way think it should seek to emulate FFXI, but also at the same time I don't think it should emulate other MMO's, do something that works and make it their own.

Having said that though... FFXI was my first MMO, but I have played a ton of MMO's since then, and although no MMO has yet to catch my eye like FFXI, it wasn't due to the fondness of the battle system. Community and World has and will always keep me around XD and as long as the game is fun to play with friends, I am sure I will stick around long enough.

Menu navigation on this kind of speedy battle system?

What are they thinking?.

Yoshida comment about ppl which only MMO experience was XI comes to mind. I don't think he'll change it to those people wishes. He seems to have a very clear idea of what he wants with the game, something he show again in all the recent feedback changes that made pour some bitter tears in the forums. Some delicious bitter tears.

Caerith

I don't see anything wrong with the interface for the battle system. You get 8 actions on L2 and 8 actions on R2, plus another tab you can switch to, so it's not particularly restrictive and it is pretty intuitive to use. I wouldn't mind being able to pull up a menu in battle, though-- in FFXI, I used my macro bar 99% of the time but would still occasionally cast from the menu if I needed to.

I think a lot of the discussion when it comes to FFXIV is incredibly difficult because of obstinate assholes, though. Even when 1.0 launched (and was, objectively, a piece of shit), any criticism of it got shot down by "You're just trolling because it isn't XI." And I'm sure there's a lot of criticism that does boil down to "I hate it because it isn't XI." I don't envy Yoshi-P for having to deal this crap.

Emitan

Is there anywhere that explains Guildhests/leves/whatevers and things like the gathering jobs? This game is really confusing.

Ala Alba

I don't see anything wrong with the interface for the battle system. You get 8 actions on L2 and 8 actions on R2, plus another tab you can switch to, so it's not particularly restrictive and it is pretty intuitive to use.

Yeah, having access to 8*2*8 = 128 different actions pretty much at any given time actually seems like way more than I'd actually need. I'm sure at least half my action slots will be filled with the same stuff for every single class.

Caerith

Yeah, having access to 8*2*8 = 128 different actions pretty much at any given time actually seems like way more than I'd actually need. I'm sure at least half my action slots will be filled with the same stuff for every single class.
Yup. The only thing I can think of as a "but I really need to use my menu!" is back in FFXI, when you'd macro your tier 3 and 4 spells, but then "oh man the mob is at 1% and you don't have much mana quick open your menu and manually cast a tier 2." But that doesn't really apply in FFXIV. First, Conjurer got half their spells taken away, so less to navigate, and second, those spells level with you, so you'll spend the whole game casting Stone anyway.

Thinking I'm gonna start as pugilist and get it to 15 so I can focus on my primary class (either lancer or thaumaturge)

Lancer (Dragoon) and Thaumaturge (Black Mage) doesn't seem to use Pugilist as their secondary needed class anymore, or even the ability to use skills from them when advanced to a job.

scosher

I actually think he's catering to too many crowds, and the compromise solution really doesn't appease anyone. Those coming from FFXI are claiming the battle system is too fast and frantic. Those coming from WoW, where the GCD is 1.5 seconds, or GW2 where the animation lock is usually no longer than a second, the combat in FFXIV feels sluggish.

I actually think he's catering to too many crowds, and the compromise solution really doesn't appease anyone. Those coming from FFXI are claiming the battle system is too fast and frantic. Those coming from WoW, where the GCD is 1.5 seconds, or GW2 where the animation lock is usually no longer than a second, the combat in FFXIV feels sluggish.

Combat has much bigger issues then how slow it is if you are coming from WoW. Like really, the GCD difference isn't even on the list of things that bother me between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom