• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still glad the story missions are capped. I really didnt want to blitz through all the new content, and now we'll be on a somewhat even playing field during some battles with lower level players.

Also "Aint nobody got time for rats" is awesome. Same for Red Stead Redemption.

When do you stop being able to do them? I stopped playing to go out right after the one where you get captured.

Also lots of references. Had a "Blame yourselves or god" quote from an npc on another mission near the end.

Riposte

Still glad the story missions are capped. I really didnt want to blitz through all the new content, and now we'll be on a somewhat even playing field during some battles with lower level players.

Yeah, capped "missions" is pretty much my favorite thing about the game right now. I actually want them to have optional capping for all quests in the game (making it work like FATE).

I don't see why I have to be "bitter" to not want FFXIV to be yet another bog standard MMORPG. Being alone among many, complexity of cooperation absent from most of the game, action-like mechanics in a game not suited for action combat, content being thrown out for less breadth and variety for the sake of more "progression", guided easiness through numerous forgettable quests, quests not existing for the sake of their own episodic entertainment, the economy turned from a living one into another personal gauge to fill up, gearing up so that you can gear up so that you can gear up again (being a never ending treadmill), etc. Not a fan of any of this really, doesn't matter if this is the successor of FFXI or not. I think what the "optimal" MMORPG tries to achieve is to be a bad game and I dislike the needs and desires of habitual MMORPG fans. A game failing to be an optimal MMORPG (e.g. a pleasant, comfortable time-eater) then is at least interesting, especially when it achieves something only MMORPGs can do (which most MMORPGs forsake entirely). I'd like to think there could be compromise though. To me that would basically mean forced grouping in an otherwise usual environment. FATEs, dungeons, etc don't really fit, although stuff like Duty Finder helps. Right now the game is balancing the uniqueness of the previous Final Fantasy MMOs and the standardization of MMORPGs in general, but aside from really nice aesthetics and some serious effort behind main story quests, I don't know if they are capturing the strengths of the former.

I'm just glad we ended up getting what we currently have with 2.0. In many ways, I felt that the willingness/capability for the development team to do anything outside of 'play it safe' was all but dead with 1.x.

Boss Man

Posted this in the other thread but here is probably a better place to ask:

Is there a good place online that acts as a sort of manual for the game?

I played FFXI for a long time, but never really messed with another MMO. I found myself a little lost in all of the stuff going in in FFXIV as the pacing and mechanics were mostly new to me.

The official site is nice for a broad idea on classes and stuff, but not really on specifics. For instance, I only read in passing that abilities learned can work across classes. Or that I should go to a class guild to be able to switch to it. Also, I don't really get how FATE works. I don't get most of what's going on honestly.

I played FFXI for a long time, but never really messed with another MMO. I found myself a little lost in all of the stuff going in in FFXIV as the pacing and mechanics were mostly new to me.

The official site is nice for a broad idea on classes and stuff, but not really on specifics. For instance, I only read in passing that abilities learned can work across classes. Or that I should go to a class guild to be able to switch to it. Also, I don't really get how FATE works. I don't get most of what's going on honestly.

Not that I know of really. Going to be a new experience for most, just the people who have played a bunch of mmorpges may catch on a little faster. Feel free to ask about things you are confused about.

Fates are just random events that you can choose to participate in. The goals in each are somewhat different, but can easily ascertain them by what is happening and the text that they give you. Some will want you to kill a bunch of spawning monsters, others will have a big boss to kill, while others will have you collect things to bring back to an npc.

Yeah, capped "missions" is pretty much my favorite thing about the game right now. I actually want them to have optional capping for all quests in the game (making it work like FATE).

I don't see why I have to be "bitter" to not want FFXIV to be yet another bog standard MMORPG. Being alone among many, complexity of cooperation absent from most of the game, action-like mechanics in a game not suited for action combat, content being thrown out for less breadth and variety for the sake of more "progression", guided easiness through numerous forgettable quests, quests not existing for the sake of their own episodic entertainment, the economy turned from a living one into another personal gauge to fill up, gearing up so that you can gear up so that you can gear up again (being a never ending treadmill), etc. Not a fan of any of this really, doesn't matter if this is the successor of FFXI or not. I think what the "optimal" MMORPG tries to achieve is to be a bad game and I dislike the needs and desires of habitual MMORPG fans. A game failing to be an optimal MMORPG (e.g. a pleasant, comfortable time-eater) then is at least interesting, especially when it achieves something only MMORPGs can do (which most MMORPGs forsake entirely). I'd like to think there could be compromise though. To me that would basically mean forced grouping in an otherwise usual environment. FATEs, dungeons, etc don't really fit, although stuff like Duty Finder helps. Right now the game is balancing the uniqueness of the previous Final Fantasy MMOs and the standardization of MMORPGs in general, but aside from really nice aesthetics and some serious effort behind main story quests, I don't know if they are capturing the strengths of the former.

To be fair it would be an insult to compare this game even now to other mmoprgs. Insult to them I mean. It does have some neet ideas, and I like playing games for the story so will stick around, but even base systems in this are outdone by games from a decade ago. Most of the things this game is trying to do to copy "optimal" design is more like a copy of a copy seen second hand. May still do well on the namesake and looks alone. I mean the wold is filled with people who would rather play a bad Final Fantasy game then give other things a go because XI popped their cherry.

so I just realized that you can't preorder the PC Collectors from anywhere but the square store...this makes me a sad panda..

Yeah. I found this out as well. I could have had it here on release day with Amazon.

Why am I even considering buying this? I'm a 1.0 player. I already have a security token. I don't need the collectors edition at all.

Because I'm a sucker, that's why. >_>

Riposte

To be fair it would be an insult to compare this game even now to other mmoprgs. Insult to them I mean. It does have some neet ideas, and I like playing games for the story so will stick around, but even base systems in this are outdone by games from a decade ago. Most of the things this game is trying to do to copy "optimal" design is more like a copy of a copy seen second hand. May still do well on the namesake and looks alone. I mean the wold is filled with people who would rather play a bad Final Fantasy game then give other things a go because XI popped their cherry.

Looks, which is to say art design and overall aesthetics, is fine reason to play a game if you like them enough. I also don't see the point of someone who likes XI the most wanting to play other games which are not much like XI.

Teknoman

I'm just glad they nailed the exploratory element. I felt like running around everywhere, and exploring every corner of the world. I can see the current battle system pace wearing thin if you dont have alot of options/ are fighting enemies without many status effects or attacks that need dodging, but once you've got a ton of things to manage at once, I think it'll be just fine.

Also without a strong story and community mechanic, other MMOs I played after XI just seemed lifeless to me. Of course, the soundtrack had alot to do with that as well.

BLCKATK

It sucks to hear but this is the cold hard truth. I definitely hate thinking about it but this isn't gonna give Square the success they want (or need). Eorzea is a cool world to me that I'm deeply involved in, so I have a reason to stay, but for new players and people that aren't attached to the games story or world, there really is not a lot to keep them here. Which is unfortunate. Hopefully that will be rectified in a content patch after release or a future expansion.

scosher

I'm just glad they nailed the exploratory element. I felt like running around everywhere, and exploring every corner of the world. I can see the current battle system pace wearing thin if you dont have alot of options/ are fighting enemies without many status effects or attacks that need dodging, but once you've got a ton of things to manage at once, I think it'll be just fine.

Also without a strong story and community mechanic, other MMOs I played after XI just seemed lifeless to me. Of course, the soundtrack had alot to do with that as well.

The bolded is why I want this game to succeed and am really trying to put forth suggestions to improve the combat on the beta forums. Everything else about this game is fantastic (especially the music and soundtrack), that I wish the battle mechanics didn't feel so dated.

Other MMO's with better battle systems like TERA and GW2 had other issues like a soulless world, lack of end-game content or meaningful group interactions (abolishing the holy trinity was the worst mistake GW2 made). WoW has been bleeding members since 2011 and this is as good a time as any for Square to really recapture a disenfranchised MMO player base.

Riposte

In 1.0 they added a mechanic where enemies would link depending on party size or w/e. Is that mechanic still in the game? Haven't seen it yet.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
In 1.0 they added a mechanic where enemies would link depending on party size or w/e. Is that mechanic still in the game? Haven't seen it yet.

Yes, is still in game. You can see it in dungeons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TnSMXcp2Hg

Still my jams.

I'm not really feeling the exploration though. Too many invisible walls, and seems like anywhere interesting a quest will lead to. Was fun getting to all the areas on the map now when no one else was there, but I explored nearly everything open on the map already. Guess that goes to my main problem with mmorpgs. Me. I put too much of my time into them and end up doing everything too fast. Been years looking for something that can hold me for more then 2 months.

Know things that are much lower level then you will link if you attack. Like the mobs right outside of town at level 20 will group all together if you hit one.

Qvoth

There seems to be a lot of negative reception to the battle system from players coming from FFXI. What do you guys think?

people actually like gear changing macros every few seconds?
wow
this game uses macros too if you want, but not that bad

Mastamind

The beta forums has a manual. It is under English forum > Getting Started > Instruction manual (cant remember if we can post links to the forum and too tired to look it up). It's actually pretty indepth and has pictures.

If you have any other questions i would recommend looking at the other threads on the forum.

Teknoman

Heh know what that was before I clicked on it. I'm glad Yoshi and co. arent listening to those macro swapping guys. That was NEVER a fun mechanic, and wasnt really something you were meant to do anyway.

EDIT: You know what I thought of after passing through what used to be Nanawa mines and wandering into Bluefog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9rnXEM9kQ

The area just feels mysterious, especially with all the aether vents(?).

jLSMtP5G7l40N.png

jqwK7s4Ex3bUp.png

Dunno if there is anything strange about the place now, other than larger mining efforts, or its just shocking to see everything so...open. Either way, i'd really like to see an area or hear a theme similar to Al'Taieu.

Jijidasu

EDIT: You know what I thought of after passing through what used to be Nanawa mines and wandering into Bluefog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9rnXEM9kQ

pics

Dunno if there is anything strange about the place now, other than larger mining efforts, or its just shocking to see everything so...open. Either way, i'd really like to see an area or hear a theme similar to Al'Taieu.

Northern Thanalan is pretty interesting, too bad it's either mostly blocked off to prevent spoilers or not finished. :( I wanted to check it out more as it was pretty tiny.

Ravidrath

Ceruleum, I believe - the stuff they make from aether to fuel their magitek.

As you may have noticed, pretty much all Garlean magitek has a "wheel" that powers the device, which spews that blue flame.

ebil

When do you stop being able to do them? I stopped playing to go out right after the one where you get captured.

Also lots of references. Had a "Blame yourselves or god" quote from an npc on another mission near the end.
There's a few more after that until you join a GC, but you're almost done.

Munba

From the latest famitsu there are some new info. For the fishing it seems there are special abilities to fish in the sky (fliying fishes in the clouds) and in the quicksands. And an ability to use the fish you caught as bait to fish a bigger one. Sounds interesting.

Lucent

Kinda wish I wrote down all the stuff I picked when making my character. I wanna keep him like he is. Probably won't be that hard for me to recreate him but yeah.

Ravidrath

Kinda wish I wrote down all the stuff I picked when making my character. I wanna keep him like he is. Probably won't be that hard for me to recreate him but yeah.

You can save their appearances, but not sure if you can after they've already been created.

Gromph

Staff Member

You can do next beta weekend, or wait to the new benchmark to create your char.

Jinko

There seems to be a lot of negative reception to the battle system from players coming from FFXI. What do you guys think? I'm more paranoid than anything that it's going to be pushed back again because of these institutionalised new folk coming around with these crazy demands.

I personally feel that Yoshida is walking the just path here in the way he's using FFXIV to bring people up to standards on contemporary MMO battle systems, all the while putting his own special touches on it.

A lot of the people complaining on the Japanese side aren't saying directly they're coming from FFXI (because they'll be shot down immediately) but they had hoped for immediately accessible actions via the hot-bar and more menu navigation for combat, and that they want it changed. Unfortunately for them seeing as the entire concept for the battle system is placed around speed you'd need to have lighting fast reflexes to navigate a bunch of menus a la FFXI through a 2.5 second GCD.

Edit: Nice interview, Ravi. Interesting about no cross-region matchmaking.

I think for the most part people coming from 11 have settled down or just got tired of listening to themselves on the forums. (on the English side at least)

I can understand how it must be a shock to come from FFXI if thats the only MMO you have ever played though but I do think its about time those players let it go and left XI in the past.

There is a manual on the bottom of the beta launcher, I haven't had chance to look at it this beta test but there is a fair bit of information in there, a lot of the game basics you are supposed to learn in game though.

I saw a lot of people in the LS at the weekend asking questions which were answered in the help pop ups, read your help text people :p

Other MMO's with better battle systems like TERA and GW2 had other issues like a soulless world, lack of end-game content or meaningful group interactions (abolishing the holy trinity was the worst mistake GW2 made). WoW has been bleeding members since 2011 and this is as good a time as any for Square to really recapture a disenfranchised MMO player base.

Not everyone thinks Tera and GW2 has a better battle system though, not everyone wants reactionary skills and action based combat.

It took blizzard years of revamping the battle system to get where they are in WoW today, can't expect it all to fall into place on day one.

When you finished your character customisation it should have asked if you wanted to save to a slot, I assume that is server side and will allow you to remake your character from that template in phase 4.

It took blizzard years of revamping the battle system to get where they are in WoW today, can't expect it all to fall into place on day one.

WoW on day one had a better battle system then this game. Some would say that the "refinement" over the years have made it worse and more homogenized. Most classes had their own set of resources to manage, sometimes two, and played fundamentally differently because of that. Classes even played differently from themselves with spec changes. What came later was balance and quality of life adjustments, but they were built on top of a system that at it's core had merit.

Don't misinterpret, I don't want FF14 or any game to copy or be like WoW. Just got to point out from time to time that there was more reasons then it being "casualised garbage" that WoW became as big as it did. There are things that it did right out the gate that games that try to copy it even now get wrong.

Heh know what that was before I clicked on it. I'm glad Yoshi and co. arent listening to those macro swapping guys. That was NEVER a fun mechanic, and wasnt really something you were meant to do anyway.

Really glad that some things like gear swapping in battles before every skill isn't coming to this game as well.

Gromph

Staff Member
And Japan times.

2013年6月21日(金)18:00 ~ 6月23日(日)18:00

ZiZ

EU times ? /sigh

June 21, 2013 (Friday), 9:00 a.m. to June 23, 2013 (Sunday), 9:00 a.m. (GMT)

the irony is that, my current timezone is a lot closer to GMT time. (I'm just used to converting to and from PST since I used to live there) >.>;

Dunan

For those in the time zone of the Capital of the World, New York City:

June 21, 2013 (Friday), 5:00 a.m. to June 23, 2013 (Sunday), 5:00 a.m. (EDT)

I actually live in Gromph's time zone

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'll be using a temp character on Sarg since I can't restore my character until later. :p lol

Good thing phase 3 doesn't really matter.

Jinko

I'll be using a temp character on Sarg since I can't restore my character until later. :p lol

Mwah ha ha, I believe I did say you would regret deleting your character 12 months ago ;)

Hopefully they can get it back before launch.

Is it me, or is the mainstream media generally ignoring this title?

I doubt they will start advertising it full force until phase 4, in case they have to postpone the launch.

Is it me, or is the mainstream media generally ignoring this title?

They'll continue to ignore it until there's some hype or story to siphon off of it too. Maybe around launch you'll see some buzz again, but every time I see it show up in the mainstream media that isn't a specifically MMO-focused blog, it's always about how terrible the 2010 game was, even if they're trying to talk about A Realm Reborn.

Xux

w00t, we'll get to rehearse making gear sets and organizing our inventories! Roffle.

Guess I should use the time to relearn Monk.

They'll continue to ignore it until there's some hype or story to siphon off of it too. Maybe around launch you'll see some buzz again, but every time I see it show up in the mainstream media that isn't a specifically MMO-focused blog, it's always about how terrible the 2010 game was, even if they're trying to talk about A Realm Reborn.

Pretty much this. After the E3 showing, I guess I was just expecting an opinion on the title one way or the other from the major media outlets, but I'm not seeing it. For example, on Friday's Weekend Confirmed podcast they had a little blurb to say about every other title at SE's booth except for XIV. They even had something to say about Elder Scrolls online how they were impressed how much it has improved since last years showing. Just seemed odd to me as a numbered FF title, not much has been said from anyone.

I am impressed how the beta impressions thread in the gaming discussion board has more or less kept on the front page since phase 3 has started.

Also, does anyone recommend a good Bluetooth keyboard for PS3? I was looking at the Amazon Basics keyboard since it was relatively inexpensive: http://amzn.com/B005EOWBKE

For those in the time zone of the Capital of the World, New York City:

June 21, 2013 (Friday), 5:00 a.m. to June 23, 2013 (Sunday), 5:00 a.m. (EDT)

I actually live in Gromph's time zone

It's a little odd that they don't do EDT since isn't that where the NA/EU servers are located?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom