• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

...Except that it's not showing what you're wearing at all?

Says you're in an Ul'dahn overcoat wearing a mask, but it just shows you in a green robe.
True, I wanted to comment on that. I logged out in my overcoat but it looks like it sort of saved my appearance way before I changed gear. Same for my Thaumaturge friend. EDIT: same for everyone actually
(btw: by responsive, I meant its design, meaning everything is finally mobile-friendly, not its features).

Dunan

The missus, who has very specific ideas about what a male avatar should look like, made all the design decisions on our Thaumaturge, Iorek MacDougal:

http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1782665/

I designed the female marauder, Luna Vandelay. (Not because we like marauders, but because I wanted to start in Limsa Lominsa):

http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2195119/
Female archer from Gridania, Nozomi Dunan. Didn't do much with her but I like her Terra-like green hair:

http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1793652/

Bogeypop

http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1812741/

Was looking through the GAF linkshell seeing what variety of classes were around my level and wouldn't you know who I happened upon. The odds of randomly partying up with a GAFFer without either player knowing the other is also a GAFFer isn't low, considering the amount of GAFFers I saw running around Ultros, but humorous nonetheless. :p

More GAFFers (myself included) need to join the Linkshell this weekend so we don't spend an hour looking for a Healer again, lol.

On a side note, anyone know if Lodestone will have 3D models with camera controls at some point? I assume it won't, but it's unfortunate that I can't see my own as well as others' character creation handiwork. It would also be interesting if implemented to look at armor and other items.

I just hope our saved beta phase 3 appearance carries over so we can change our 1.0 appearance.

Beta appearances will be saved in the client and will carry forward into the release game. The data for saved appearances is saved locally, not on the server. It's under docs-mygames-FFXIV ARR-and the files involved should be fairly obvious after that.
emot-v.gif

Jinko

I'm looking forward to running around in my best-WHM-gear-in-the-game again on Friday.

Hmm, I wonder if Ifrit Extreme will be open? Maybe I can practice up for the real thing...

I doubt it will be the best whm gear in game any more :p, also I think we only get content up to 35 in phase 3, so unlikely on the Ifrit Extreme.

sorry to ask but i wrangled a set of codes from the european facebook page thing but i'm not entirely sure what to do with them. do i have to register a beta application & put in the 20-digit code in the form there? or is there another page i should visit?

thanks for any help!

Norua

Banned
Starting base racial stat differences ain't gonna make any real difference when you're level 50 and pieces of gear have 30+ of a stat on them. Your lala will make a fine warrior if you play right.

I'm gonna enjoy showing up other monks and paladins with my moonkitty and her mage-preferred base stats. :>

Okay, thanks. This is perfect then.

Now the only question is... Lalafell (Plainsfolk) or Roegadyn (Sea Wolves)

EDIT : I just found a chart like the one I was looking for, so for those interested in base stats differences, here it is >
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmO63QDXXSMRdHVYOG04bVdfdk43aVc1NmZJU3lQcHc#gid=0

Yes. When you use the code, the store will take you to the download page.

excellent, thanks. i panicked because i tried to do it via the online store & it said the code was no longer valid. works fine through the ps3 though.
only thing, can you come out of the beta downloader and it'll resume when you restart? 4+gb is pretty big for my bandwidth.

omlet

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about the logic behind staying P2P. Maybe this answer will shut some people up. I hope for the sake of the game's content future that his plan works out.

"Age of Frugality" :p

It's not even about frugality, though. I'm a very (perhaps excessively) frugal person in many regards and I have no issues paying a monthly sub for an MMO I enjoy.

Jinko

Ps3 code if anyone wants it:-

Not sure which is which.

Here are your personal code:
RBWE-D4WH-6E9A-QE45-Y4HF
Your personal beta key for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

-DDDH-E6NL-R52N
Your PlayStation ® 3 client code

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about the logic behind staying P2P. Maybe this answer will shut some people up. I hope for the sake of the game's content future that his plan works out.

It's not even about frugality, though. I'm a very (perhaps excessively) frugal person and I have no issues paying a monthly sub for an MMO I enjoy.

It's not even necessarily tied to money these days. In my case for example, I'm very conservative about my time more than I am money. It's the reason I see most people championing F2P though. I have more of a problem paying money month to month for Netflix that I don't watch rather than an MMO I really enjoy that I may not play for a few.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I really don't get what's so hard to understand about the logic behind staying P2P. Maybe this answer will shut some people up.

It won't. People have issues with the logic because many believe P2P is dead, unless you are WoW. With the amount of time and money put into this game 200k subs is not going to sustain it. I'm not sure I buy into P2P being dead, but there is more and more evidence pointing towards it being the case. Then there's also a bunch of people who just want the game to be free for obvious reasons.

Jinko

I think it also comes from the fact that a lot of casual gamers are abhorred by the idea of paying a monthly fee for a game, I'm sure we've all seen those dick comments about waiting for FFXIV to go F2P.

I do think that subscription based games should be free to download, granted they get a lot of money from selling game boxes but if the game was free to download and try then they might have a higher chance of gaining subscribers.

omlet

It won't. People have issues with the logic because many believe P2P is dead, unless you are WoW. With the amount of time and money put into this game 200k subs is not going to sustain it. I'm not sure I buy into P2P being dead, but there is more and more evidence pointing towards it being the case. Then there's also a bunch of people who just want the game to be free for obvious reasons.

I don't want to pay property taxes, either, but roads and schools don't build themselves. At least not in the city where I live.

I think it also comes from the fact that a lot of casual gamers are abhorred by the idea of paying a monthly fee for a game, I'm sure we've all seen those dick comments about waiting for FFXIV to go F2P.

I do think that subscription based games should be free to download, granted they get a lot of money from selling game boxes but if the game was free to download and try then they might have a higher chance of gaining subscribers.

That would be an interesting idea, but I think the major problem is in the long run when people no longer feels like the content is enough to keep playing when there's more and more f2p fresh experiencies out there.

I guess lowering the fee to something like 5€/$ each month would help all those people that might consider fees are too high, no MMO tried lower fees as far as I'm aware, it would be interesting to see.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
That would be an interesting idea, but I think the major problem is in the long run when people no longer feels like the content is enough to keep playing when there's more and more f2p fresh experiencies out there.

I guess lowering the fee to something like 5€/$ each month would help all those people that might consider fees are too high, no MMO tried lower fees as far as I'm aware, it would be interesting to see.
When I quit wow as a vanilla-pandaria vetern, there was no f2p mmo that interested me. There's a new land to discover, but I can't invest a lot of time in an unpolished game. I do believe other f2p genre's are snagging people up like LoL, but it's simple and polished. The mmo that I stuck with the longest (a few months) was SWTOR when it had a sub fee. I never went back because of the issues I had with it. Similarly, Diablo 3 turned me off and I never went back.

I think p2p can still work if it's a good polished game without deal breakers. This game is polished and I'm unaware of any dealbreakers.
So, I will be subbing. I didn't think I'd be back in the mmo front so soon. Also, I'm a FF mmo noob.

StMeph

FFXI had a pretty dedicated community. It wasn't huge, but it was enough to keep the game going.

I am guessing that's what they're counting on for XIV.

FFXI had a pretty dedicated community. It wasn't huge, but it was enough to keep the game going.

I am guessing that's what they're counting on for XIV.

I think Yoshida said that they're trying to get as much people as possible. That's why they have been making the game more friendly even for people new to MMO.

What they really expect may be different but I think they clearly aiming to higher numbers than XI. IMO XI numbers is what they should expect. lol

PopInnovation

Neo Member
I'm definitely a fan of p2p, I absolutely hate the pay-wall aspect of f2p games and not knowing when or how much I'll have to pay. I know in the long run f2p can work out a lot cheaper depending at what capacity you play, but having a potential price on benefits to think about always puts me off and it gives me an illusion of limitation.

In saying that, a reduced monthly subscription price is an interesting idea but I don't know if it'll happen any time soon - it's too much of a risk for projected earnings since they can't really measure how many more subscriptions they would gain compared to what they would have at full (current) price. Then again, it's hard for them to even predict what the subscription rate is going to be once this game launches given the current state of the MMO market...

I was also a long time FFXI player so my opinion comes from someone already accustomed to paying a monthly fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom