• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

* In order to facilitate the testing of character transfers from Version 1.0, as well as server stability, new characters cannot be created on Legacy Worlds. After carefully monitoring server traffic and congestion, this restriction will be lifted when these Worlds are confirmed to be stable
good thing i made my character on ultros then since all the jp servers were full when i was making my char
hope i can still play with you guys on retail :(

Qvoth

nah brah i'm in indonesia
ping wise well i tried the command prompt thing and the jp servers gave me 100ish ping while the montreal gave me 200+

seems like most of the guys on gaf that's choosing the jp server is choosing ramuh so when beta 3 started that's where i was going but then all the jp servers were full so i made one on ultros

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
nah brah i'm in indonesia
ping wise well i tried the command prompt thing and the jp servers gave me 100ish ping while the montreal gave me 200+

seems like most of the guys on gaf that's choosing the jp server is choosing ramuh so when beta 3 started that's where i was going but then all the jp servers were full so i made one on ultros

I will be playing in Masamune for the rest of the test until I can migrate my 1.0 character to Durandal.

daveo42

Banned
http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1812741/

Was looking through the GAF linkshell seeing what variety of classes were around my level and wouldn't you know who I happened upon. The odds of randomly partying up with a GAFFer without either player knowing the other is also a GAFFer isn't low, considering the amount of GAFFers I saw running around Ultros, but humorous nonetheless. :p

More GAFFers (myself included) need to join the Linkshell this weekend so we don't spend an hour looking for a Healer again, lol.

On a side note, anyone know if Lodestone will have 3D models with camera controls at some point? I assume it won't, but it's unfortunate that I can't see my own as well as others' character creation handiwork. It would also be interesting if implemented to look at armor and other items.

Oh snap! Didn't know you were on GAF as well. We did get an ls going around the start of the beta. It was pretty good to have one setup just for chatting and partying up and whatnot.

Kind of crazy that it did happen like that though in the beta. Cool to see you on here as well.

Ravidrath

I played around with Weaving. It's pretty involving (which I'm sure if the case with others). Only thing I wish they'd let us do is create items in the bulk instead of one at a time.

At least in 1.0 there were recipes for making multiples of a base item, such as yarn, usually by doubling or tripling some or all of the materials.

Would be surprised if they didn't bring that back, unless they want to have something more systematic in its place.

That said, towards the end I was usually single-crafting things because it gave me more opportunities to HQ the results, and HQ items are pretty much always more valuable than multiples of the NQ.

Also, if you want to get REALLY crazy like I did and want to go for Luminary tools, you'll want to do as many synths as possible.

I got into the beta a while ago and was so so excited, but the game ran like absolute shit for me, stuttering, framerate drops. I have a gtx 580 1,5gb and an i7 2600k 3,4ghz which isn't top notch anymore but still. Has the performance been improved?
And i remember getting good results from the benchmark, which made me really happy, but the game wasnt like that at allll.

NinjaJesus

I got into the beta a while ago and was so so excited, but the game ran like absolute shit for me, stuttering, framerate drops. I have a gtx 580 1,5gb and an i7 2600k 3,4ghz which isn't top notch anymore but still. Has the performance been improved?
And i remember getting good results from the benchmark, which made me really happy, but the game wasnt like that at allll.

It ran great this past weekend. No lag what-so-ever.

Jinko

You shouldn't get any issues with those spec's.

Make sure your directX and drivers are up to date.

froliq

My 1.0 character is only level ~20 in both conjurer and thaumaturge. Guess I'll try it out and see how big GAF is on both servers.

w2000

So everyone is going on Legacy and leaving me i C ;__;

I'll probably be on both this weekend. I will need an invite to the Ultros server guild and if needed, one for the legacy server as well. Was inactive from June until 1.0 ended (missed the whole end of game.)

LowParry

At least in 1.0 there were recipes for making multiples of a base item, such as yarn, usually by doubling or tripling some or all of the materials.

Would be surprised if they didn't bring that back, unless they want to have something more systematic in its place.

That said, towards the end I was usually single-crafting things because it gave me more opportunities to HQ the results, and HQ items are pretty much always more valuable than multiples of the NQ.

Also, if you want to get REALLY crazy like I did and want to go for Luminary tools, you'll want to do as many synths as possible.

Sounds like it would be best to focus on one trade and have others do the same. Maybe later down the line I could work on all but eh.

Also with gathering, will nodes show up on the mini map or will we have to actively go out and search for them?

Ferr986

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I'll try a legacy server on Phase 4. I had a lvl 50 archer but I remember having barely 1M gil (or even less).
I had some crafts at 20 but they were so boring to level up

C.Dark.DN

Banned

I had to go into my NIVIDIA Control Panel and set the FF executables to run with my dedicated card instead of my integrated graphics in my notebook. My specs are GTX 660M, 8GB Ram, i7-3630QM. I get like 40-50fps with everything on ultra and shadows and something else turned off I think.

A very easy way to tell is to go under graphics options in the game and see what it says the video monitor adapter is or whatever. It'll say intel or nvidia.

I did it for all of them, even the launcher. There's like 5 including ffxiboot and ffivsysinfo which I never seen before in a game.

omlet

Sounds like it would be best to focus on one trade and have others do the same. Maybe later down the line I could work on all but eh.

Also with gathering, will nodes show up on the mini map or will we have to actively go out and search for them?

In 1.x I spent many, many hours watching tv/anime/movies while crafting. :| Focusing just on one or two trades will keep you busy for a while. If 1.x is any indication, all crafts will be useful rather than just the consumables ones (funny enough, alchemy was actually one of the most useless crafts until Skirmish weapons were added and you need ALC to meld and repair). Actually, technically, gear was a consumable in 1.x (and will be in ARR too, it seems). However, in 1.x, to be "good" at any one single craft, you needed skills from several other crafts--that is, you needed mid/high-level skill from CRP, GSM, WVR, etc. to have a good array of crafting skills for the purpose of HQing. I don't have sauce, but I remember reading that they're planning to make crafting skills in ARR still work cross-class but in a way that you don't need 5 crafting jobs maxed just to be good at 1 of them, so that is good news.

On the bulk crafting note, I hope that shit is never added beyond what was in 1.x (where you could make 3x crafts of a few recipes, typically like of ingots or bolts of cloth). It would just devalue crafters even more.

As for gathering nodes and minimap, uh.... man, I tested that in phase 2 but I don't actually remember. In 1.x, they didn't appear on the minimap, but they appeared as brightly glowing lights and they had set spawn points so after gathering in the area for a bit you knew where everything was, more or less. In ARR, they appear as little sparkly graphics and, at least when I tried BOT, were far less spread out compared to 1.x. As for minimap... I wanna say they do appear, but I don't remember for sure. I plan to try crafting and gathering more this weekend.

Jinko

Yea they appear on the mini map in ARR, you have to have the prospect ability activated for them to show though.

:p Someone else might want to setup the new LS for now then IF you guys want to do that. Have it ready for when new characters are allowed in.

Yea I can do it if you want.

Are our Beta characters carrying over into the full game? To become a Dragoon, do I need to get Marauder to 15 and Lancer to 30?

Also, to become a different class do I just need to purchase their weapon and equip it? And if I do switch classes, do I have the option of redoing quests I've done and starting from scratch or do I pick up from where I am?

I'm a big time noob ><

PopInnovation

Neo Member
Are our Beta characters carrying over into the full game?

All characters in phase 3 (the current phase) will be wiped. The characters we create in the next phase (phase 4) will most likely carry over unless something critical happens and a server wipe is required

Also, to become a different class do I just need to purchase their weapon and equip it? And if I do switch classes, do I have the option of redoing quests I've done and starting from scratch or do I pick up from where I am?

To become a different class you can go and sign up at that guild, which will give you the quest line for that class. The general quests that you have done will not be able to be completed again, but of course you can go to another city and do those lower level quests.

Jinko

To become a different class you can go and sign up at that guild, which will give you the quest line for that class. The general quests that you have done will not be able to be completed again, but of course you can go to another city and do those lower level quests.

To add to this there are levequests which is this games equivalent to daily quests which can be repeated as many times you like, as long as you have the daily allowance to do so.

Be warned though they get pretty tedious after a couple hours grinding.

To add to this there are levequests which is this games equivalent to daily quests which can be repeated as many times you like, as long as you have the daily allowance to do so.

Also be warned, that after doing all the quests in all the areas they become the only way to level. So unless there is a cap to how many you can accrue, the it is best to never use them till you are leveling a class after clearing all the areas with other classes leveling. Or something.

Also, don't switch classes until you've gotten your first class quest up through unlocking the ability to go to the other cities, etc.

Jinko

any chance we'll see a longer test period this time?

They did mention that later on they will extend the up time of the server until they are up 24/7 which will then go over to phase 4.

I'm hoping at launch the pc version is able to do 1920x1080...sucks not being able to do that now

Yea it does, if you select border-less windowed mode and your desktop is set to 1080p, you can also get 1080p full screen, didn't see it in the windowed options though.

Sadly I'll be missing most of this weekend. I'll try to play on Friday and Sunday though. Friday will be tough and I'm gone most of the day on Saturday D:

Mature

I've been spending free moments at work looking over item stats on xivdb. A lot of the changes are so weird... Useless items becoming relevant, superior items becoming lackluster.

Does anyone know if there's a new stat that dictates enhancing magic potency?

I've been spending free moments at work looking over item stats on xivdb. A lot of the changes are so weird... Useless items becoming relevant, superior items becoming lackluster.

I'm not positive that it effects magic, but I was hearing more and more that "determination" is the catch all "makes everything better stat". Increases all damage dealt and healing reserved as well as causing sunshine, rainbows, and orgasms, if people in chat are to be believed.

Mature

I'm not positive that it effects magic, but I was hearing more and more that "determination" is the catch all "makes everything better stat". Increases all damage dealt and healing reserved as well as causing sunshine, rainbows, and orgasms, if people in chat are to be believed.
Doesn't surprise me. The Flame Lieutenant Wand used to give EMP with a flame set bonus, but now gives Determination. As per the phase 3 instruction manual: Determination Increases the amount of damage dealt by all attacks and the amount of HP recovered by spells. That's quite an odd stat...

Ravidrath

I would imagine that special effects just aren't being pulled in yet?

I mean... I guess I never looked at the character stats page too deeply. Are there even individual ratings for different magic proficiencies any more?

ebil

I would imagine that special effects just aren't being pulled in yet?

I mean... I guess I never looked at the character stats page too deeply. Are there even individual ratings for different magic proficiencies any more?
According to the Lodestone, my character has Attack and Healing Magic Potency (no Enhancing, though).

Jinko

In what way? I think Yoshida said that stats will be based on item level, so the top end gear and items "should" be much more powerful.

TBH I always felt the enhancing magic was a waste of time, they should just leave it standardised, it's just one more stat to have to balance otherwise, unless you enjoy juggling stats I suppose.

From what I remember the main stat in 1.0 was vit and that was only really helpful for regen. (a lot of the mage gear has Vit as the 4th stat)

It's nice to see that green named items have materia slots now, which gives me hope for blue named end game gear having similar.

Ravidrath

According to the Lodestone, my character has Attack and Healing Magic Potency (no Enhancing, though).

What about Enfeebling?

And, yeah, I noticed that some of the enhancing spell descriptions don't really leave any room for improved performance based on stats, so maybe just they axed it. And maybe Regen is Healing now?

ebil

What about Enfeebling?

And, yeah, I noticed that some of the enhancing spell descriptions don't really leave any room for improved performance based on stats, so maybe just they axed it. And maybe Regen is Healing now?
No Enfeebling either but absolutely everyone has debuffs now so it kind of makes sense. I guess we'll see what stats affect Regen (if at all) tomorrow.

Norua

Banned
The different races doesn't have any impact on the walking/running speed, right?

That would suck but I've only played Lalafell and Roegadyn in all the phases, and each time I switch I can't get over the feeling that the Roegadyn is slower when running. It might only be the animation though.

I'm still hesitating between both races for my definitive character for Phase 4 / Release.

The different races doesn't have any impact on the walking/running speed, right?

That would suck but I've only played Lalafell and Roegadyn in all the phases, and each time I switch I can't get over the feeling that the Roegadyn is slower when running. It might only be the animation though.

Since everyone moves at the same speed, the bigger you make your character the slower you will feel you are moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom