• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I was hoping legacy players wouldn't have to go through the "new player" quests lines, unlocking stuff like gear sets, levequests and inn rooms seems kind of pointless.

I wana just jump back in to the thick of it and go to a dungeon but looks like I will have to go through the story line to unlock that too :S

While a little disappointing, at least it's easy exp for that eventual Arcanist eh?

Moobabe

Had a quick read of the OP but thought I'd ask anyway - which server has the most of you guys on it? I don't mind playing with legacy or new

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Had a quick read of the OP but thought I'd ask anyway - which server has the most of you guys on it? I don't mind playing with legacy or new

Can't make new characters on Legacy yet. Not until they feel comfortable with the server load I guess.

The GAF Free Company is setup on Ultros! Send a /tell to the following officers for an invite:

Bubble Gum
Strawberry Shortcake
Xarielle Randgris
Capell Percipere

Will start inviting people from the LS as they appear online.

Kyon

Banned
BTW if i find a copy of FFXIV 1.0 somewhere would that be eligible for any free stuff?

The GAF Free Company is setup on Ultros! Send a /tell to the following officers for an invite:

Bubble Gum
Strawberry Shortcake
Xarielle Randgris
Capell Percipere

Will start inviting people from the LS as they appear online.

what's a Free Company?

A FATE was going.

ibqbQiFNM5m5dF.png

BTW if i find a copy of FFXIV 1.0 somewhere would that be eligible for any free stuff?

Nope, only way to be eligible for anything was to have payed for a subscription pre2.0 (And even then, we didn't really get free stuff, just potential access to goobue mount)

If you were to buy it now, all you would get is early access.

Vashetti

Banned
Okay, so been playing the PS3 beta since it started this morning and I am so impressed.

It looks stunning and runs really smooth.

My only gripe is that the targeting system is botched.

It takes so long to cycle through and I'm constantly missing even the enemy right in front of me. Unless I'm doing something wrong, that's the only awful part of it so far.

Anyone ran an instance as a marauder? How's tanking? I'm level 13 and I'd like to try running a dungeon this weekend, and I'd like to hear some impressions.

Cetra

Just ran around on my level 50PLD for an hour. Did a buncha FATEs while level synced. Yep, this game fucking rules.

Mastamind

ok thanks!, is there a list somewhere for combos?

You can see all abilities at xivdb.com. But if you only care about archer, hit P and highlight your skills the ones that combo say they combo to another skill.

*edit* Seems archer doesnt say combo. Heavy shot has a chance to buff your next straight shot. When it procs the ability that is buffed gets the dotted line around it.

Heavy shot:
Additional Effect: 20% chance next Straight Shot will deal critical damage

Aeana

Thanks for this! As a language fanatic who's playing the game in both Japanese and English and picking up on all the funky naming conventions, I totally grooved on that interview. If you hear any more, do please post them!

He's wrong about cait sith though. :\

Dunan

He's wrong about cait sith though. :\

Well, he did actually acknowledge the correct (welsh/celtic?) pronunciation, didn't he?

He was actually wrong. It's Gaelic and it should be [kat ši:] or [kæt ši:] ("Cat Shee" in English phonetics). In Irish, "s" is like English "sh" and final "th" is like English "h" or zero. I don't blame him though; nobody knows everything.

What is this translator's name, BTW? I'm really liking their efforts in this game and want to play other stuff they've done.

BlackJace

Another beta phase, another run-in with

A problem occurred while updating.
Please restart FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (Beta Version).
[11006][20641][20643]

Will I ever get to play this -_-

Aeana

He was actually wrong. It's Gaelic and it should be [kat ši:] or [kæt ši:] ("Cat Shee" in English phonetics). In Irish, "s" is like English "sh" and final "th" is like English "h" or zero. I don't blame him though; nobody knows everything.

What is this translator's name, BTW? I'm really liking their efforts in this game and want to play other stuff they've done.
Michael-Christopher Koji Fox is his name. He was the lead on FF11, which had a similar amount of care infused into its translation.

Dunan

Michael-Christopher Koji Fox is his name. He was the lead on FF11, which had a similar amount of care infused into its translation.

Thanks; it wasn't clear inthe video if he was the interviewer or the interviewee. I haven't played FF11 but have heard great things about its translation. He really does seem passionate about his craft; I'm leaning toward playing FF14 in English the entire time given how good the dialogue sounds. English-language translators and writers have really taken some daring steps in the past decade or so to inject local and dialectal differences into their writing which surpasses the Japanese original much of the time. A decade or so ago, when the Japanese side had tighter control of how the foreign language versions came out, translators could dare to write like this quite as easily. I'd love to see people who think in this way take over the English-to-Japanese translation of Western-produced games and spice up the Japanese dialogue.

Ala Alba

...didn't he say that this was actually the correct way, but that for the purposes of FF, it was "Sith" (aka Dark Lord of the)?

Teknoman

Yay i'm back on Sargantas :D

Not really bothered by having to do tutorial quests since not everyone will play the beta, legacy or not. It just feels strange to us since we've gone through them every beta phase.

Dunan

...didn't he say that this was actually the correct way, but that for the purposes of FF, it was "Sith" (aka Dark Lord of the)?

At 3:47 to 4:00 he seems to imply that he thinks that "Sith" is the real Irish pronunciation; if so, he's wrong. He comes closest to the correct way when he reads it the Japanese way.

Given the fanbase, though, I'm sure people have already corrected him!

The Marauder class isn't starting out so good for me, these quests are terrible. I'm level 2 already and don't see in sight any battle quests or kill anything yet. So much speak with, deliver this, and report to's.

Ala Alba

The Marauder class isn't starting out so good for me, these quests are terrible. I'm level 2 already and don't see in sight any battle quests or kill anything yet. So much speak with, deliver this, and report to's.

You can be about 50% of the way to level 4 before you even step outside your starting city, from my experience. If you take every single quest you see, that is.

Alternately, if you head straight to your class headquarters, you can pick up a quest to kill nine monsters and then leave the city immediately to start battling things.

It's your choice, you know.

When you went to the marauders guild you should have gotten a battle quest from the guildmaster.

You missed something.

Most of the quests around town are designed to show you how to get places in town and introduce you to new things and give you a little background on the locals.

Those are quests to give you a better undertanding of the basic things in the game and the different places in the city. You can go to your guild (Marauder Guild) and get the first class quest and kill things if you want.

demonkaze

So is it possible for me to get an invite into the free company on Sargatanas (Astraer Lavia)? I'd like to try some of the higher stuff with gaf. Still got my shells for SoD and gunsmith cats lol.

Those are quests to give you a better undertanding of the basic things in the game and the different places in the city. You can go to your guild (Marauder Guild) and get the first class quest and kill things if you want.

When you went to the marauders guild you should have gotten a battle quest from the guildmaster.

You missed something.

Most of the quests around town are designed to show you how to get places in town and introduce you to new things and give you a little background on the locals.

You can be about 50% of the way to level 4 before you even step outside your starting city, from my experience. If you take every single quest you see, that is.

Alternately, if you head straight to your class headquarters, you can pick up a quest to kill nine monsters and then leave the city immediately to start battling things.

It's your choice, you know.

All true, but I was just expecting to have an experience like I did with all the other classes where some of my first quests were slaying stuff. Before I was even midway to lvl 2 I was getting slay quests in the other classes. Though you may be right and I missed something, because I was kinda rushing to finish all those quests instead of exploring.

My Final Class Fun Analysis List:
Archer > Marauder > Gladiator > Lancer > Puglist > Conjurer > Thaumaturge

So as some may know I've tried out every class on the beta and have been recording which ones were the funnest to me personally. I've reached lvl 8 with every class to make sure I could at least get 5 skills with each class to see which one was funnest to play around with. Archer and marauder have got to be the funnest classes I've used. The archer is so mobile, doesn't get interrupted with attacks, and because they can move around a lot I was killing lvl 12 enemies when i was lvl 6. Black mage I didn't like at all because the spells took too long to cast, I kept getting interrupted while casting spells because of the enemy, and I usually had to pull out all my arsenal to kill an enemy with empty MP half the time in multiple battle's.

I've played with every race to and I'll rank them as well
Miqote > Lalafell > Hyur > Roegadyn > Elezen

I really have no ranking for these except what I liked running around as the best. The Miqote have a very cool running animation, and I like the tail and ears. Lalafell's are just adorable and they look very different compared to everyone else. I also like how everyone looks down at your character when speaking to you. Elezen were way to tall at mid ranged height, and they are very stiff with their animations. They seem kinda like robots with the way they walk, run, and even carry their weapons.

If anybody wants to rank their favorite races and classes, then by all means go ahead. This is just my personal one.

fader

is their a noob island in this game? cause i dont see anyone here

EDIT: Nvm, people showed up after i finished talking to this imp lady

Black mage I didn't like at all because the spells took too long to cast, I kept getting interrupted while casting spells because of the enemy, and I usually had to pull out all my arsenal to kill an enemy with empty MP half the time in multiple battle's.

I'm still a lv9 Thaumaturge, but I never experienced any of those things yet...
No enemy interrupted my casting as long as I stood still while charging. And about the MP, you're supposed to use Fire magic to deal the most damage, but pay attention to your MP. When you're almost out, swap the Fire aura with an Ice one, and you'll have full MP in less than 5 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom