• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

Which is what exactly ?

I noticed that stones tend to look like they are floating on the surface at times, especially at night.

Yes that too. And the light on the ripples seems a bit "fake".

Anyway, some graphics complaints are ridicolous..

Arksy

Which is what exactly ?

I noticed that stones tend to look like they are floating on the surface at times, especially at night.

I can't believe the amount of negative feedback about the graphics engine and music so far, really sad to see.

Negative feedback on the graphics engine? I only got to play for about 20 minutes but it was LEAGUES AHEAD of what we had before. LEAGUES. I had no framerate drop in my entire time playing with max settings and the game was gorgeous, although I agree the water could use a bit of work.

Stefan™;48329226 said:
11677_10151515331615871_369520567_n.jpg

So cute!

What kind of sick genius designs a vanity pet to look like the mouse cursor?

What are the stat differences between races? I want to tank as a Tarutaru, will this be a severe disadvantage to me? I'm not looking for "play whatever you want" answers, I want numbers. Maybe this is a question for Teknoman since he's a basedtank :)

What kind of sick genius designs a vanity pet to look like the mouse cursor?

"Mouse Cursor"? That is the cursor :p

ebil

Take anything you liked about the game, and there are pages of negative feedback about it on those forums.

I can't believe how fast the Beta forums and 'community' went to hell, to be honest. I don't know what happened from Alpha to Beta
(Legacy players happened?)
, but this might be one of the most negative community I've ever seen in a MMO. Alpha was very peaceful in comparison (even though it had its fair share of obnoxious conversation on the forums, especially towards the end).

I mean, I've already seen people ingame throw fairly offensive insults at each other in /shout, an endless stream of babble about how "FF11 did it better blah blah blah and the grass looks poor and we should allow same-sex marriage between manthra and cooldowns kill my immersion" just like the game was an expansion on steroids of the Lodestone's or something. It got to the point I had to filter the shouts, on the very first day.
Right now, the forums are getting so bloated I don't even know if I'll find the courage to ever post feedback or try to have legitimately interesting conversation in there. These people truly are unstoppable.

What are the stat differences between races. I want to tank as a Tarutaru, will this be a severe disadvantage to me? I'm not looking for "play whatever you want" answers, I want numbers.
There will never be a difference that will make you feel like you're performing poorly as a race compared to another (as that was the case in FF11). If anything, they'll be minimal. As for actual numbers and hard data, you'll probably have to wait quite a lot longer as everything's getting tweaked from each phase to another.

There will never be a difference that will make you feel like you're doing poorly as a race compared to another. If anything, they'll be minimal. As for actual numbers and hard data, you'll probably have to wait quite a lot longer as everything's getting tweaked from each phase to another.

I hope not :)

I played endgame FFXI for years - my problem as a Taru was low health, this set me back in two ways: tanking & Kraken Club DRK spamming. I'm hoping that FFXIV won't be as drastic as this, but I wouldn't know because I never did end-game in 1.0. It sucked having 20% less HP than others, on the flip side, Galka had it rough in the MP.

I tried unsuccessfully to get on Tonberry so I just rolled on Bahamut. I checked back a few times throughout the night but it was never available for me. Strangely enough it would show some servers as available but it would not be listed as available for other people that were checking at the exact same time.

I'll be sad to see my Lala/Taru go and they looked great in the beta but I really liked the male Miqote. Also, my wife rolls female Miqote so it's a better fit for me to roll a male Miqote anyway. I was a little disappointed with the dance and panic emote though. There were some good ones but Lala/Taru emotes are still the best by a long shot. Not being able to remove the eye markings is definitely disappointing and I do wish that I could change my eye type without changing between Sun and Moon. I like the warmer skin tones from Sun but I prefer the normal eyes of Moon over the cat eye slits.

Enabling "Legacy Controls" in the options makes the movement feel incredible. It is fucking perfect.

There seems to be a decent amount of improvements from Alpha to Beta but there are still some areas that need work. I'll definitely be leaving a lot more feedback this time. Hopefully it doesn't get drowned out by the all the troll posts on the forum now.

So much I want to talk about. Are they lifting the NDA in phase 3 or phase 4?

"Mouse Cursor"? That is the cursor :p

Yes. It is a vanity pet designed to look like the cursor.

There will never be a difference that will make you feel like you're performing poorly as a race compared to another (as that was the case in FF11). If anything, they'll be minimal. As for actual numbers and hard data, you'll probably have to wait quite a lot longer as everything's getting tweaked from each phase to another.

Well to be fair, do we know this for sure yet? The race stats didn't make any difference in 1.0, as they didn't scale, but wasn't there word about that being reworked? Could mean being completely leveled, or made to be more significant.

I can't believe how fast the Beta forums and 'community' went to hell, to be honest. I don't know what happened from Alpha to Beta
, but this might be one of the most negative community I've ever seen in a MMO. Alpha was very peaceful in comparison (even though it had its fair share of obnoxious conversation on the forums, especially towards the end).

I mean, I've already seen people ingame throw fairly offensive insults at each other in /shout, an endless stream of babble about how "FF11 did it better blah blah blah and the grass looks poor and we should allow same-sex marriage between manthra and cooldowns kill my immersion" just like the game was an expansion on steroids of the Lodestone's or something. It got to the point I had to filter the shouts, on the very first day.
Right now, the forums are getting so bloated I don't even know if I'll find the courage to ever post feedback or try to have legitimately interesting conversation in there. These people truly are unstoppable.

At this point where I just hope they ignore the feedback, because there is no way they have to time to go though it all and find the nuggets of gold among the turds.

Enabling "Legacy Controls" in the options makes the movement feel incredible. It is fucking perfect.

There seems to be a decent amount of improvements from Alpha to Beta but there are still some areas that need work. I'll definitely be leaving a lot more feedback this time. Hopefully it doesn't get drowned out by the all the troll posts on the forum now.

The way that legacy makes your character turn while strafing doesn't work well for me. Wish I could find a way to disable backpedaling that wasn't legacy mode because of that.

Phase 3 lifts the NDA, according to the roadmap. Not like talking about being in it like right now isn't a breach of it anyway.

ebil

Phase 3, according to the roadmap.

Well to be fair, do we know this for sure yet? The race stats didn't make any difference in 1.0, as they didn't scale, but wasn't there word about that being reworked? Could mean being completely leveled, or made to be more significant.
True, they're giving racial bonuses and they could rework it to make the differences significant, but I just don't see them do it to the point where it'll make a race perform way better than another at a key job / role (a la FF11). It's supposed to be a slight bonus. That's why I said it was better to wait for subsequent phases to gather hard data, as I expect it to be tweaked quite a lot.

Also, another fun thing that I found out accidentally. Hitting the * key on the num pad toggles a focus view on your target, like how combat in ff11 did.

True, they're giving racial bonuses and they could rework it to make the differences significant, but I just don't see them do it to the point where it'll make a race perform way better than another at a key job / role (a la FF11). It's supposed to be a slight bonus. That's why I said it was better to wait for subsequent phases to gather hard data, as I expect it to be tweaked quite a lot.

I'm hoping for something miniscule yet defining like the racial skills/bonuses in WoW.

Yes. It is a vanity pet designed to look like the cursor.

You're on the same page now, the cursor is sweet isn't it :)

omlet

Ugh, I know, I seriously want to just sledgehammer so many of those posters. I mean, I have plenty of concerns, too, but the amount of bitching about unimportant things and the totally unrealistic expectations there are astounding.

I missed this option. What exactly does it do?

Enable it on the next test (in-game options menu) and try out. I won't say more than that you should be able to figure it out based on the name.

From what I could tell it made your movements relate more to the camera then your character. As in if you strafe side to side, the camera will not move, and you will basically do a big circle around where the camera is. If you press S, or whatever you had as your back key, you will turn and run towards the camera, instead of backing away from whatever you are facing. I would assume by the name that it is more like the original ff14 controls, but do not recall.

N.A

Banned

It was shown in the last live letter so we can talk about it. It makes the character behave like in 1.0 e.g. runs in the direction you press instead of strafing/backpedaling. I love it as it feels less like typical MMO movement :)

omlet

It was shown in the last live letter so we can talk about it. It makes the character behave like in 1.0 e.g. runs in the direction you press instead of strafing/backpedaling. I love it as it feels less like typical MMO movement :)

Oh, it was? Okay then!

Normal controls -
W: Run forward
A: Turn character left, camera pans to stay behind character
S: Slowly walk backwards, keeping back to camera
D: Turn character right, camera pans to stay behind character
Q: Strafe left
E: Strafe right

Legacy controls are basically the same movement scheme from XIV1.x -
W: Run forward
A: Run left, camera doesn't change position
S: Turn around and run towards camera
D: Run right, camera doesn't change position
Q: Strafe left
E: Strafe right

Legacy controls + smooth mouse camera movement is a dream.

DarkKyo

I'm so into this game but I feel like I shouldn't do much at the moment because I want to wait and work on my real character... come on phase 4 >_<

Also I haven't read any non-beta news... is there any word about if the magitek armor is still going to be a mount?

I'll go Legacy Controls + gamepad on Phase 2.

Is a shame that Tomberry was full yesterday after the rollback...I had to make my character on Adamtoise.

ZiZ

I'm so into this game but I feel like I shouldn't do much at the moment because I want to wait and work on my real character... come on phase 4 >_<

Also I haven't read any non-beta news... is there any word about if the magitek armor is still going to be a mount?

yup, still coming.

I think the mounts that were announced or hinted at so far are:
- Chocobo.
- Goobue
- Magitek armor
- Coeurl
- ahriman
- some kind of drake.
(haven't heard anything regarding the last two since they first announced the reboot)

yup, still coming.

I think the mounts that were announced or hinted at so far are:
- Chocobo.
- Goobue
- Magitek armor
- Coeurl
- ahriman
- some kind of drake.
(haven't heard anything regarding the last two since they first announced the reboot)

Thought the ship sailed on the goobue mounts.

Jarnet87

I can't wait for testing to open back up, hopefully we hear soon and that it is for a whole weekend and not one day. Played for a couple hours and then logged to play two games of Dota. While getting destroyed in Dota all I kept thinking is why am I not playing the ARR Beta !!!!

notworksafe

Negative feedback on the graphics engine? I only got to play for about 20 minutes but it was LEAGUES AHEAD of what we had before. LEAGUES. I had no framerate drop in my entire time playing with max settings and the game was gorgeous, although I agree the water could use a bit of work.

I had a drop of about 10 fps as soon as I left Gridania. Not sure why either, there were way more people in the city itself than there were outside in combat.

I think I'd like to do some quests this weekend. I spent most of the time just wandering around checking everything out. Ran into some scary L49 mobs and found some really cool looking FATEs as well.

Salaadin

Yeah, what I meant. One of the things that has been removed and only the 1.0 people could have gotten.

Sorry. I cant read :p

I can't wait for testing to open back up, hopefully we hear soon and that it is for a whole weekend and not one day. Played for a couple hours and then logged to play two games of Dota. While getting destroyed in Dota all I kept thinking is why am I not playing the ARR Beta !!!!

Agreed.

I really wish my account wasnt tied to a security token. I want to log in from work but I dont want to carry that token with me everywhere. I wish that app would be released but thats probably on the bottom of their list.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Quoting myself. I found what I was missing. It's also the hand cursor from the other final fantasy games. What I get for so little sleep over the past few days. Was too stuck on how amazingly ridiculous having a bunch of pointer replicas following everyone around on an mmo was, and how odd it was that no one thought of it before that I missed the deeper reference.

Stark

Banned
Which is what exactly ?

I can't believe the amount of negative feedback about the graphics engine and music so far, really sad to see.

People are complaining about the music? what.

Proof that people will complain about anything and everything.

I agree w/ ebil's assessment of the beta community. It's just terrible.

It is already beyond lodestone levels of negativity... if only the people threatening to quit would actually do it.. it would be a much more pleasant place to be.

I had a drop of about 10 fps as soon as I left Gridania. Not sure why either, there were way more people in the city itself than there were outside in combat.

I think I'd like to do some quests this weekend. I spent most of the time just wandering around checking everything out. Ran into some scary L49 mobs and found some really cool looking FATEs as well.

The only time I ever really get bogged down is when I'm passing the Aetheryte crystal in Gridania. People are always congregating there.

Probably idiots thinking that if they complain about everything/anything in the beta SE will "wise up" and make the game f2p. I saw a lot of this in 1.0 when they weren't charging for access

Well good luck to them then. Would do me the favor of making it so I can stop giving a damn about the game.

notworksafe

The only time I ever really get bogged down is when I'm passing the Aetheryte crystal in Gridania. People are always congregating there.

Yeah I found it odd that I got no slowdown there at all, but just got a general slowdown from being outside of the city. Maybe it was all the combat effects or something?

Stark

Banned
"Kneesocks" Soken is composing for this, right? Screw them. Soken is awesome. >:|

Ugh. Now I'm a little worried. I hope they can differentiate from some decent feedback and what isn't.

Yeah I found it odd that I got no slowdown there at all, but just got a general slowdown from being outside of the city. Maybe it was all the combat effects or something?

the forest area in particular is more taxing than the city than the city, I think.

I get a drop in fps when I go outside into the forest, too.

Proof that people will complain about anything and everything.

I agree w/ ebil's assessment of the beta community. It's just terrible.

It is already beyond lodestone levels of negativity... if only the people threatening to quit would actually do it.. it would be a much more pleasant place to be.

That's what happen when beta is mostly Legacy members that probably think they are entitled to SE to listen their stupid ideas or complaints because they have been playing the old 1.0 for months/years.

Most of the shit discussion form lodestone comes from these players so Btea being most these players is only normal.

The best Yoshi P and SE can do is not listen to beta forums until Phase 3.

Stark

Banned
So I wasn't the only one with performance issues? It kind of hits me everywhere when it shouldn't. I'm hoping that's due to there only being one location where everyone is stuck to.

I've learned to filter out anything and anyone that can't refer to FFXIV in any context if they simply can't disregard mentioning XI within either the first two paragraphs or the first two minutes. The nostalgia for eleven has created one of the nastiest rose-tinted glasses effect I've ever seen in regards to a game. The only thing that would actually make me post more feedback is the sheer fact that people like that and their input should not be the only thing devs see when considering tweaks, changes, and optimizations. It's almost a scary thought to think how valuable they may find it.

The forums and area chat are terrible. Now that this is gaining some popularity the community is becoming just like many other MMOs at beta and launch. I think this one is getting hit particularly hard because of it's previous failings. There are a lot of trolls and everyone is looking to bash the game at every given opportunity. There are many that want to see this game fail (again) and many that feel entitled because of the time and money they put into the first game.

Probably idiots thinking that if they complain about everything/anything in the beta SE will "wise up" and make the game f2p. I saw a lot of this in 1.0 when they weren't charging for access

I can definitely see people trying to spread negativity about the game in order to push this agenda.

The only thing that would actually make me post more feedback is the sheer fact that people like that and their input should not be the only thing devs see when considering tweaks, changes, and optimizations. It's almost a scary thought to think how valuable they may find it.

What I thought at first, and went into expecting to do. But then pages of people getting stupid things voted up to the moon, and 0s on most of the down to earth stuff changed my mind.

This is getting a DirectX 11 update, right? I wonder if people most of the community know.

Yes, but probably it'll take months, is clearly not a priority. Yoshi P also wants to make graphical updates over the years. But I don't really see the need, the game looks really good. GW2 isn't exactly a looker but art direction makes the game really pleasant to the eyes, that's what happens with FF XIV ARR.

Teknoman

The only complaint I have about the music is that the various overworld themes fade out far too soon, or loop strangely. Too much silence in the overworld.

I will say, the new general battle theme is awesome, and the closest to class FF music you'll get in awhile. It's even got the classic FF battle starting beat section that returned in FFIX, Truly old school meets new school. Wont go into too much detail, but alot of the redone animations are pretty detailed/not too flashy but really smooth.

Zios

Banned
The best Yoshi P and SE can do is not listen to beta forums until Phase 3.

Oh my...that worked for SE during 1.0 didn't it? People stating complaints since alpha which were present throughout all of beta with the last glimmering hope that SE heard/understand everything and will fix it with the "miracle patch"...No

I have faith in Yoshi P, I believe he really cares what people think about this game. Beta forums are slowly turning into a mess that 1.0 beta forums were...Someone makes a statement of graphics/sound ect, and guess who turns the thread around into a bitching fit? Not the person who made the complaint, but the SE fanboys who throw down the "its fine go away" "are you blind?" "lol no" responses. I hate beta forums.

Arksy

That makes me really sad. Because out of the short while I played, I really thought that Yoshi-P and his crew have done a really good job of salvaging this steaming pile of junk into something specail.

Stark

Banned
Yes, but probably it'll take months, is clearly not a priority. Yoshi P also wants to make graphical updates over the years. But I don't really see the need, the game looks really good. GW2 isn't exactly a looker but art direction makes the game really pleasant to the eyes, that's what happens with FF XIV ARR.

I agree. It's also amazing considering the short turn around ARR had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom