• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Oh my...that worked for SE during 1.0 didn't it? People stating complaints since alpha which were present throughout all of beta with the last glimmering hope that SE heard/understand everything and will fix it with the "miracle patch"...No

I have faith in Yoshi P, I believe he really cares what people think about this game. Beta forums are slowly turning into a mess that 1.0 beta forums were...Someone makes a statement of graphics/sound ect, and guess who turns the thread around into a bitching fit? Not the person who made the complaint, but the SE fanboys who throw down the "its fine go away" "are you blind?" "lol no" responses. I hate beta forums.

Looking at the end of the 2.0 alpha phase, and beginning of beta, they did listen to some of the more reasonable suggestions. The animation style changes, and the music changes (changing the standard battle theme to something more fitting of FF), and of course everything Yoshi did for the end of 1.0

I wouldnt worry too much, just support as much well thought out and detailed feedback as you can.

That's because those people think the person making the complaint is an idiot and they're going on and on about how the game has been ruined or they're going to quit, etc. etc.

Feedback has a proper place where it will be taken into consideration and that is the feedback section of the forum. Unlike the dev team in 1.0, Yoshi-P and co have been listening to player feedback and making adjustments accordingly.

It's ok for people to have opinions and to share them with others, but they should do so constructively and in the appropriate place, especially if they expect the dev team to do anything about what they're saying.

I have faith that the devs won't ruin their vision for A Realm Reborn by bending to pressure from a bunch of legacy players who "liked things the way they were" or thought "1.0 was better"

Jinko

If the race difference end up being big I'm going to be pretty annoyed, I thought it was retarded in FF11.

Look forward to trying out Tam Tam at the weekend, hopefully we have enough around lvl 15 :D

Oh my...that worked for SE during 1.0 didn't it? People stating complaints since alpha which were present throughout all of beta with the last glimmering hope that SE heard/understand everything and will fix it with the "miracle patch"...No

I have faith in Yoshi P, I believe he really cares what people think about this game. Beta forums are slowly turning into a mess that 1.0 beta forums were...Someone makes a statement of graphics/sound ect, and guess who turns the thread around into a bitching fit? Not the person who made the complaint, but the SE fanboys who throw down the "its fine go away" "are you blind?" "lol no" responses. I hate beta forums.

1.0 was a mess that was clearly rushed and unfinished beyond salvation unless they worked 1 year more on it. My point is that most of those complaint don't add anything or are not helpful at this point. We need a larger pool of users that don't troll or that don't want ARR to become XI 2.0 to give more varied input.

Lag complaints on a stress test? give me a break.

Munba

The only complaint I have about the music is that the various overworld themes fade out far too soon, or loop strangely. Too much silence in the overworld.

Same thought here. And yes, the new battle theme is much better than the alpha one, with the first seconds very similar to the old FFs.

And i totally love the different music for night and day in gridania. Hope they'll make it also for the field tracks.

Zios

Banned
1.0 was a mess that was clearly rushed and unfinished beyond salvation unless they worked 1 year more on it. My point is that most of those complaint don't add anything or are not helpful at this point. We need a larger pool of users that don't troll or that don't want ARR to become XI 2.0 to give more varied input.

Lag complaints on a stress test? give me a break.

Yeah I should have gone into more detail. The lag threads were silly, and so are the ones with no type of argument on issues at all.

The only complaint I have about the music is that the various overworld themes fade out far too soon, or loop strangely. Too much silence in the overworld.

I will say, the new general battle theme is awesome, and the closest to class FF music you'll get in awhile. It's even got the classic FF battle starting beat section that returned in FFIX, Truly old school meets new school. Wont go into too much detail, but alot of the redone animations are pretty detailed/not too flashy but really smooth.

I kind of assumed that had to do with the beta itself. The music came on and off randomly all day for me. Sometimes I was fighting to pure silence, but it started kicking in a lot more as everything else calmed down yesterday. It only worked consistently when I was running around in Gridania.

Still had like a 3 second lag on all my spear strikes but you know---beta.

Nakazato

I made a cat guy on before my main guy on tonberry i can say they look great and i may role with one as a secondary character or mule

omlet

The forums and area chat are terrible. Now that this is gaining some popularity the community is becoming just like many other MMOs at beta and launch. I think this one is getting hit particularly hard because of it's previous failings. There are a lot of trolls and everyone is looking to bash the game at every given opportunity. There are many that want to see this game fail (again) and many that feel entitled because of the time and money they put into the first game.

As for the forums, honestly the worst isn't the trolls in community forum, it's the complete disregard of 99% of posters for following the requested/expected etiquette/posting behavior in the bugs and feedback. They were pretty clear about "please don't create duplicate threads" and I mean for fuck's sake look at the character creation feedback thread and on any given page you'll see like 5 posts all saying the same thing. Bug report forum is the same, multiple threads all reporting the same thing even on the front page. And dozens of people derping about a quest thing and reporting as a bug something that isn't even a bug.

It's already at the point that makes it pretty impossible for people who try to do as requested to actually do so. They really need to bring down the moderation hammer on beta forums. :|

Teknoman

I kind of assumed that had to do with the beta itself. The music came on and off randomly all day for me. Sometimes I was fighting to pure silence, but it started kicking in a lot more as everything else calmed down yesterday. It only worked consistently when I was running around in Gridania.

I hope so...the attacks did have a decent amount of lag at times, so maybe that was part of the issue.

I made a cat guy on before my main guy on tonberry i can say they look great and i may role with one as a secondary character or mule

Yeah they look better than I thought they would. Actually look pretty aggressive in the way they stand, and honestly all the different race and gender variations look well done, so good on S-E for that.

Fadedhost said:
"Beyond the fact that the Combat system is Generic, Questing is a tunnel visioned mess that is bland and boring, F.A.T.E is just something they added to take away from how boring the rest of the questing system was and it feels pointless, Graphics are hollow and look unattractive even on Maximum, Character animations are laughable, but beyond all that the game is just boring and all that matters to me is that I have fun. They seem destroy the game even more than 1.0. I understand the game is in beta but I don't see them doing enough to this game in 5 months to warrant my time any longer, a year and a half was long enough so after I post this I will log out, delete all FFXIV related bookmarks, uninstall the benchmark and the beta client and just forget this past year like a bad dream because if I sit here and defend a game I truly never had fun with any longer I might just lose my mind. I'd love to say it's been fun lol I wont be reading any of the comments btw so all you White knights can spew your obsessive garbage all over this one."

lolwut

Compared to Alpha, accepting and turning in quests, initiating actions, and path and movement tracking was completely lagged. There was a metric ton of people on the server though.

It's possible the lag may have affected other things like combat and music transitions.

Ainaurdur

Yeah they look better than I thought they would. Actually look pretty aggressive in the way they stand, and honestly all the different race and gender variations look well done, so good on S-E for that.

I have always liked how XI and XIV allow you to play all of the jobs/classes on one character. Letting you get fully invested in that one.

But I am very close to forcing myself to only play one or two classes on each character, since there are at least 3 or 4 characters I am torn between playing. The problem comes with having to do all of the main story quests and other unlock/access sorts of things multiple times.

ebil

As for the forums, honestly the worst isn't the trolls in community forum, it's the complete disregard of 99% of posters for following the requested/expected etiquette/posting behavior in the bugs and feedback. They were pretty clear about "please don't create duplicate threads" and I mean for fuck's sake look at the character creation feedback thread and on any given page you'll see like 5 posts all saying the same thing. Bug report forum is the same, multiple threads all reporting the same thing even on the front page. And dozens of people derping about a quest thing and reporting as a bug something that isn't even a bug.

It's already at the point that makes it pretty impossible for people who try to do as requested to actually do so. They really need to bring down the moderation hammer on beta forums. :|
Seriously this. It's pretty much unusable, to the point I've resorted to posting only in the French section of the forums (as there obviously aren't as many French-speaking testers - but the feedback threads tend to rather quickly devolve into conversations and/or arguments there). Yet even there, the bug report section is full of threads elegantly labelled as "my feedback" or "Hey, I found a bug". Am I supposed to check on every damn thread before posting? I hope they somewhat make a compilation of topics and suggestions between phases, or the guys in charge will be pulling their hair off very quickly.

omlet

Anyone know how the Japanese feedback is at glance? I'm a bit curious compared to other regions.

I stumbled through a few posts earlier today with a helpful kanji dictionary.

Reading mostly positive comments, some praising the options for leveling besides just grinding, FATE system being neat (despite being laggy). However, lots of complaints about the battle system, pretty much same complains as English-speakers have (skill spam is boring, no animation lock is goofy, no thought goes into managing TP, etc.). If you have beta access, do a search for "translation" and check out a few of the threads, including Reinheart's thread.

I just read through the official feedback thread on various systems and look for comments I agree with and press the "Like" button.

I tried that, but there are like 90 pages of drivel in (for example) the character creation feedback thread. I don't have time to read through that many posts, like 80% of which are saying the same damn thing, to look for ones saying something else that I might want to "like" to agree with. That's what I mean about making it hard on people.

Jinko

That is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about..

If only all of them would quit :)

I suspect many will, hopefully though this game will bring in a lot more new subscribers so it won't matter.

I can't believe Yoshi has such a high opinion of the English forums, ... maybe he was just being polite lol

Compared to Alpha, accepting and turning in quests, initiating actions, and path and movement tracking was completely lagged. There was a metric ton of people on the server though.

It's possible the lag may have affected other things like combat and music transitions.

According to a post by Yoshi P there is a glitch in the FATE system causing the lag, on the weekend they will be reducing the frequency of the FATE events to see where the problem is occurring.

Mastamind

Hah i wish my max lag was 3 seconds. I was seeing 15+ seconds per cast regularly (I sat and counted after hitting the button *sadface* ).

Stark

Banned
He did indirectly answer that question on feedback, I think:
Yoshida: (Laughs) It can’t really be helped. Not only our game, but with any genre you’ll see people who won’t give anything a chance but just say something based on the first thing they thought. That’s the nature of Internet blog stories. So, I can’t really help it so I don’t worry too much otherwise if I took each of those comments too seriously I might get depressed.

That being said, those people who express themselves whether it’s a good or bad thing means they’re still interested in this product – which I think is a good thing. If they really don’t care about it, they won’t say anything about it.

I also understand those people who love 1.x are really passionate about it and might be afraid of the changes.

Reading mostly positive comments, some praising the options for leveling besides just grinding, FATE system being neat (despite being laggy). However, lots of complaints about the battle system, pretty much same complains as English-speakers have (skill spam is boring, no animation lock is goofy, no thought goes into managing TP, etc.). If you have beta access, do a search for "translation" and check out a few of the threads, including Reinheart's thread.

Thanks. Will do. Combat feedback is tolerable, I noticed.

Salaadin

I suspect many will, hopefully though this game will bring in a lot more new subscribers so it won't matter.

I can't believe Yoshi has such a high opinion of the English forums, ... maybe he was just being polite lol

Didne he say something along the lines of the negativity not bothering him too much because, even though its negative, it still shows that people care for the game?

Thats such a polite and nice answer. If I was him, I would have raged on everybody.

"That being said, those people who express themselves whether it’s a good or bad thing means they’re still interested in this product – which I think is a good thing. If they really don’t care about it, they won’t say anything about it."

Translation: "I still got your money fuc#$@rs!"

Seriously though, I wonder how much gets lost in translation between them when going through these complaints...

Amaron

Banned

Wow. There was giant thread screaming "Remove animation lock" with almost all the posters agreeing. The ones who opt to keep it actually gave very valid points while the ones against it gave dumb excuses like the Ifrit battle from 1.0 as (moot) examples only last month. The forums must be bleeding irony.

Edit: Thread for those who're curious.

Jijidasu

It's honestly frustrating just reading those forums. The negativity is a bit overwhelming so I'm completely avoiding it.

I have no idea how Yoshida can take the shit that gets thrown at him by the waves of stupid gits on that forum.

God I can't wait for region segregation. Getting the f' out.

no animation lock is goofy,.

It may look goofy, but would much rather it not be there no mater how bad it looks. Standing still during skills may be fine for range, but mobs move and melee has to move with them. If anything work on the animations, but past that there are some sacrifices looks have to take for a playable game.

Teknoman

It's honestly frustrating just reading those forums. The negativity is a bit overwhelming so I'm completely avoiding it.

I have no idea how Yoshida can take the shit that gets thrown at him by the waves of stupid gits on that forum.

God I can't wait for region segregation. Getting the f' out.

There was a quote from him on that, I think it was in Kagari's interview, or it might've been somewhere else.

omlet

It may look goofy, but would much rather it not be there no mater how bad it looks. Standing still during skills may be fine for range, but mobs move and melee has to move with them. If anything work on the animations, but past that there are some sacrifices looks have to take for a playable game.

There is a happy medium. See: TERA. You can still cancel out of a skill animation if you screwed up your timing, but then you cancel the attack and don't do damage (but instead can dodge, etc.). I'm not saying animation locks need to be as bad as they were in 1.x. Don't get me wrong, it was bad in 1.x. Many were too long in 1.x and combined with the lag made them worse, but moving and sliding around while using WS is just retarded. Mages can't cast spells while moving so why can other classes use WS? It's not fair, it looks stupid, and it takes away an element of strategy from skill usage.

Wow. There was giant thread screaming "Remove animation lock" with almost all the posters agreeing. The ones who opt to keep it actually gave very valid points while the ones against it gave dumb excuses like the Ifrit battle from 1.0 as (moot) examples only last month. The forums must be bleeding irony.

Edit: Thread for those who're curious.

That thread looks familiar. Isn't that the one that devolved into idiots trying to say that fighting games are bad because they use animation lock during attack frames, and therefore animation lock in any game ever was a bad design choice meant to keep the player from doing what they want to do, or something like that? Fucking lodestone.

Babalu.

I wish they would have made the betas closed to only paying people until maybe the last open beta. That would filter out 95% of the negative people who have no intention of paying for the game after it goes p2p.

Shout/forums/ingame is just an orgy of stupidity.

It doesn't bother me too much since every mmo is like that, but damn people.

Have hair/clothing physics been applied yet?

This is something I am missing as well. Mostly the hair physics. But I just assumed due to the new engine, they were gone for good. Are they just not implemented yet?

Have hair/clothing physics been applied yet?

My character's breasts were definitely going at it when I was running around, but I saw nothing in terms of hair and clothes.

I wish they would have made the betas closed to only paying people until maybe the last open beta. That would filter out 95% of the negative people who have no intention of paying for the game after it goes p2p.

Shout/forums/ingame is just an orgy of stupidity.

It doesn't bother me too much since every mmo is like that, but damn people.

This is something I am missing as well. Mostly the hair physics. But I just assumed due to the new engine, they were gone for good. Are they just not implemented yet?

First thing I did in The Old Republic upon launching was turn off 'general'. I love any game that lets you turn off 'general'.

Akuosa

According with the beta forums, "physics for gear, hair, etc., will be adjusted following phase 2".

I know the forums are hell right now, but you should definitely check them out if only focusing in the stickied threads. The one titled scope of the beta test phase 1 is nice and informative, as it's community reps only ;P

There is a happy medium. See: TERA. You can still cancel out of a skill animation if you screwed up your timing, but then you cancel the attack and don't do damage (but instead can dodge, etc.). I'm not saying animation locks need to be as bad as they were in 1.x. Don't get me wrong, it was bad in 1.x. Many were too long in 1.x and combined with the lag made them worse, but moving and sliding around while using WS is just retarded. Mages can't cast spells while moving so why can other classes use WS? It's not fair, it looks stupid, and it takes away an element of strategy from skill usage.

Being having the same discussion elsewhere. The two games aren't really comparable in this way. Tera was designed from the ground up to use animations of skills as part of the overall balance of risk reward of that skill. Skills in FFXIV are flashy and lengthy for the sake of looking cool at higher levels. See Chaos Thrust, which was even made longer to add a flourish.

It also goes to the balance of melee vs ranged and their capabilities. Melee has instant hitting attacks and should be able to move because they don't have the same leeway that range does. Range can start their cast on a running mob and it doesn't mater. If melee does the same, and has to come to a full stop, there is a much smaller chance of hitting. Add lag into the mix, and it just puts more burden on one side that already has the distance limitation.

So yeah. I would much rather have an odd looking slide on the occasions that I need to run and use a skill then to be skill locked in a game that wasn't really designed or balanced with it in mind.

My experience with the legacy players on the beta forums tells me that that wouldn't really help.

Teknoman

I really like how Keen Flurry animation looks. The lancer actually spins the spear, instead of the usual "squat / power up" animation from 1.0/2.0 alpha.

Jinko

Please support my suggestion lol

Additional HP bar settings.

About the animations I was under the impression this game was getting independent animations for upper and lower body, but it seems the lower body is still animation locked expect we just slide around now, pretty disappointing, even WoW has independent animations.

I do think functionality definitely outweighs looks though so im ok with sliding around like a pleb, I am a huge hater of the animation lock in 1.x, and don't agree to the line of thinking that it required you to think and be skilled that some did, it was just an annoyance.

even WoW has independent animations.

Got to remember how non flash WoW skills are though, and how little they matter to the damage of the skill going off. Basically right when you hit a skill in wow, the damage goes hits, as a rogue at least, animation be damned. Also there were still skills that would cause you to slide around if you moved, like eviscerate. Was full body spin as nelf so couldn't really be independent animation.

Munba

A new Yoshida interview by JPgames.de:
http://jpgames-forum.de/jpgames-de-...asy-xiv-our-new-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

JPGAMES: A lot of Final Fantasy Fans from our Community loved the music by Nobuo Uematsu in Final Fantasy XIV (Version 1.0). Hence, they are asking, if there will beany any opportunity to listen again to his music within A Realm Reborn in future, because there’s a lot of new music in the newer version.

YOSHIDA: Some music will be remaining in A Realm Reborn. Some will not be there. Going through the updates there’s a plan to ask Uematsu to compose new music as well. So please look forward to it!

GREAT! :0

Jinko

Got to remember how non flash WoW skills are though, and how little they matter to the damage of the skill going off. Basically right when you hit a skill in wow, the damage goes hits, as a rogue at least, animation be damned. Also there were still skills that would cause you to slide around if you moved, like eviscerate. Was full body spin as nelf so couldn't really be independent animation.

That's true I didn't think about that.

omlet

Being having the same discussion elsewhere. The two games aren't really comparable in this way. Tera was designed from the ground up to use animations of skills as part of the overall balance of risk reward of that skill. Skills in FFXIV are flashy and lengthy for the sake of looking cool at higher levels. See Chaos Thrust, which was even made longer to add a flourish.

It also goes to the balance of melee vs ranged and their capabilities. Melee has instant hitting attacks and should be able to move because they don't have the same leeway that range does. Range can start their cast on a running mob and it doesn't mater. If melee does the same, and has to come to a full stop, there is a much smaller chance of hitting. Add lag into the mix, and it just puts more burden on one side that already has the distance limitation.

So yeah. I would much rather have an odd looking slide on the occasions that I need to run and use a skill then to be skill locked in a game that wasn't really designed or balanced with it in mind.

Mm, yes, I agree the games are too different fundamentally to compare, but I'm not really comparing them. I'm just saying there can be a happy medium, one with the best of both worlds, which I also think could be applied to a non-"action combat" MMO.

Basically to me it boils down to this: why animate skills if the animations don't really mean anything? If they're going with non-locking skill usage then the animations should match. That is, they shouldn't exist, or shouldn't be unique. Which is boring, to match a boring button-mash WS spam system. Because otherwise there is this constant feeling of "what I'm seeing is not what is happening" or "I'm not seeing what is really happening" (however you want to look at it) that never goes away.

I'm not completely opposed to non-locking (I played WoW for way longer than I played XIV), but at least WoW had the courtesy to not waste time making a bunch of fancy unique animations for things which meant I didn't care as much that the animations looked goofy (I played rogue a lot, that was probably the prime example of animation pointlessness). The thing is, this is an FF title where the graphics and animations have always been a BFD (tm) and precedents have been set--precedents like lifelike and grounded character animations (or, on the other extreme, things like Advent Children where grounded is not an applicable adjective, but lifelike-within-the-setting's-physics still applies). This puts them in an unhappy position--they can't really just do away with character animations (well, they could, but it's unlikely they would), but at the same time the 1.x style lengthy animation locks will turn away a lot of potential players, so we end up with devs wasting time on animations that won't please the people who really care about them. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom