• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Hmm. I think SE has their biggest challenge with how they'll treat this game. Monthly fee? P2P? I think TERA's model for a monthly/none monthly option is well done. But I have noticed the complaints about ability spams. I mean c'mon. These are people who have what, hit level 10 or lower? I think we'd have a better impression with dungeons but no idea if I'd ever get into one to get a good impression how everything will work out.

ZiZ

JPGAMES: Are there any plans on how the traveling will work in A Realm Reborn? Not only by the Etherites. Will there also be Airships or Ships? Or something new?

YOSHIDA: Yes definitely, with the main storyline you will sort of need airships and also a ship. But not only prepared ships and airships. During the update we will implement a system, so you can build your own ship or airship with your own guild. You can make your own version.

I forgot about that.
They seem to have a lot of cool ideas that are going to be implemented in the future.

Jinko

Hmm. I think SE has their biggest challenge with how they'll treat this game. Monthly fee? P2P? I think TERA's model for a monthly/none monthly option is well done. But I have noticed the complaints about ability spams. I mean c'mon. These are people who have what, hit level 10 or lower? I think we'd have a better impression with dungeons but no idea if I'd ever get into one to get a good impression how everything will work out.

Exactly, I found loads of NM's yesterday and it was great fun, I would start off with Poison Arrow and Blinding Arrow (forget the names) and I would then use Raging strikes and then use Heavy shot until I need to reapply my poison and blind effects and used raging strikes when it came off cool down, it was no different than in 1.0 really.

It's almost like some people played a completely different 1.0 version to me or forget just how boring it was at low level in 1.0.

Obviously killing quest trash mobs takes 0 skill but I'm not sure what some of those people are expecting.

Teknoman

Crazy that I just posted my Bestiary + Hunting Log idea in battle content feedback, and apparently someone posted the same idea at the very same time.

omlet

It's almost like some people played a completely different 1.0 version to me or forget just how boring it was at low level in 1.0.

Obviously killing quest trash mobs takes 0 skill but I'm not sure what some of those people are expecting.

No, I haven't forgotten. ;_;

2.0 at low level is undeniably more interesting than 1.x was, but my concerns have nothing to do with the content ramping up as you level; I don't really have doubts about them pulling that off.

Allard

It would help to wait and pass judgement till we get a working game, I really don't think there is much legitimate content testing that could be had from yesterdays lagfest especially when it comes to combat. The last couple hours of the testing is basically the only time I was playing for I felt like I got a grasp of what was supposed to be happening as people logged off/no one new came on. And yes I'd wait till higher up, its what Yoshida is asking since he wants the early experience to not be too difficult to grasp while casually opening up new elements to the combat. I don't remember FFXIV 1.0 being too enthralling at lvl 10 for example in terms of combat, but then again lvl 1-10 went by in like 30 minutes in 1.0 XD.

Jijidasu

According with the beta forums, "physics for gear, hair, etc., will be adjusted following phase 2".

I know the forums are hell right now, but you should definitely check them out if only focusing in the stickied threads. The one titled scope of the beta test phase 1 is nice and informative, as it's community reps only ;P

Have you got a link? I had a peek and I couldn't find anything.

As for the sliding with animations I feel like it's been made better than it was in the alpha version. Particularly when doing normal physical attacks. This is most obvious with the archer auto attack now I think (looking at the live letter video for evidence, seems like he actually runs/walks while shooting).

Another thing is I don't think it's possible to make it look as gaudy as it does when using fancy skills.

I have a problem with the kind of angled-strafe running we see right now - if they were to eliminate sliding we'd have that kind of disjointed-side running animation for the lower half of the body while the top half is doing all the action. When I remind myself how stupid it would look having the inevitable bugs that would be rampant with an animation system like that I feel much more attuned to a bit of sliding.

Allard

Have you got a link? I had a peek and I couldn't find anything.

As for the sliding with animations I feel like it's been made better than it was in the alpha version. Particularly when doing normal physical attacks. This is most obvious with the archer auto attack now I think (looking at the live letter video for evidence, seems like he actually runs/walks while shooting).

Another thing is I don't think it's possible to make it look as gaudy as it does when using fancy skills.

I have a problem with the kind of angled-strafe running we see right now - if they were to eliminate sliding we'd have that kind of disjointed-side running animation for the lower half of the body while the top half is doing all the action. When I remind myself how stupid it would look having the inevitable bugs that would be rampant with an animation system like that I feel much more attuned to a bit of sliding.

Its under the beta test content section in the topics section, only link in there.

LowParry

It would help to wait and pass judgement till we get a working game, I really don't think there is much legitimate content testing that could be had from yesterdays lagfest especially when it comes to combat. The last couple hours of the testing is basically the only time I was playing for I felt like I got a grasp of what was supposed to be happening as people logged off/no one new came on. And yes I'd wait till higher up, its what Yoshida is asking since he wants the early experience to not be too difficult to grasp while casually opening up new elements to the combat. I don't remember FFXIV 1.0 being too enthralling at lvl 10 for example in terms of combat, but then again lvl 1-10 went by in like 30 minutes in 1.0 XD.

The changes alone has me convinced that SE is listening to their testers. Keep in mind that I beta tested 1.0 and my god, the combat was just wrong on every level. The fact that you have to go back to a crystal to regain your MP was just wrong on so many levels. But yeah, there's plenty of time to see improvements from now till open beta.

I've already considered this my next main MMO to play this year while TERA keeps me happy. Unless Sony shows off something extremely cool with the new Everquest, I'm all in for XIV.

J-Rod

Damn, I was really looking forward to playing more when I got home today. It left a great second first impression on me.

omlet

At this point I'm just going to read the JP threads for posts I want to "Like" because there is so much less crap to sift through lol...

Teknoman

I'm seriously confused as how the forums has people posting that the game doesnt feel open as 1.0 did.

You've got more traveling space than you ever did before in 1.0 with the addition of jump and removal of barriers, not to mention caves, stream paths that actually lead somewhere. Is it that the areas outside of gridania dont feel big since there are so many people in one spot?

I think we've got more freedom than ever before in exploration. Everything felt like there could be more hidden, especially once they add treasure maps. In yesterday's playing phase, I was able to explore areas under the nearest sanctuary area, run behind waterfalls, sets of old ruins (for a specific main lancer quest) that were actually enter-able, find small hamlets and outposts that actually had things to do/felt like people lived or were stationed there among other things.

Eorzea feels more alive now than it ever did, and this is just with the small amount of areas we have to currently explore.

Do they mean "open" geographically speaking or the fact that they can't start as a crafting class?

If they're referring to geography then I do not understand that complaint at all. The actual area may be smaller, but it doesn't feel smaller or closed in to me at all (especially with most of the invisible walls gone now) and it is so much more interesting than the forest maze was in 1.0.

Half of the places in 1.0 could have switched locations with anything else and I wouldn't have noticed the difference. Even in the short amount of time I've played the alpha and now beta, I remember how to get to places based on landmarks.

Amaron

Banned
I'm seriously confused as how the forums has people posting that the game doesnt feel open as 1.0 did.

You've got more traveling space than you ever did before in 1.0 with the addition of jump and removal of barriers, not to mention caves, stream paths that actually lead somewhere. Is it that the areas outside of gridania dont feel big since there are so many people in one spot?

Fairly certain that a majority of these "players" just wanted to get into the beta and do the usual antics. Welcome to the world of MMO Betas, where 3/4th of people signing up think they're playing a final product.

Teknoman

Do they mean "open" geographically speaking or the fact that they can't start as a crafting class?

If they're referring to geography then I do not understand that complaint at all. The actual area may be smaller, but it doesn't feel smaller or closed in to me at all (especially with most of the invisible walls gone now) and it is so much more interesting than the forest maze was in 1.0.

Half of the places in 1.0 could have switched locations with anything else and I wouldn't have noticed the difference. Even in the short amount of time I've played the alpha and now beta, I remember how to get to places based on landmarks.

Fairly certain that a majority of these "players" just wanted to get into the beta and do the usual antics. Welcome to the world of MMO Betas, where 3/4th of people signing up think they're playing a final product.

EDIT: removed out of fear of banning and rereading the NDA :p

EDIT: removed out of fear of banning and rereading the NDA :p

Cancelled and re-quoted not to include the link.

I read that post and this thought came to mind - Anyone who felt like 1.0 as it launched was the true FF XIV holds an opinion that has no value to me and that the updates made to it since then have not necessarily been improvements is someone whose opinion I do not value.

Jijidasu

And off on a tangent: I wonder why we haven't seen anything of West Shroud in the media and so on. There's art out for it (way back at the original PDF even) and so on, and we're missing a number of aetheryte from what fans can make out. Any guesses?

Allard

And off on a tangent: I wonder why we haven't seen anything of West Shroud. There's art out for it and so on, and we're missing a number of aetheryte. I couldn't find any would-be zone line areas either. Any guesses?

My guess is its turned into the Ancient Eorzean Stratum detailed in the concept released way back when 2.0 was first announced. You can see it pretty close from Central Black Shroud and can see it from Camp Tranquil in South Shroud (in live letter and alpha videos!), not far to the west, but you can't see it from North Shroud at all. There will probably be a zone line in the future that goes through a non-instanced dungeon or just to the west of area with all those clay golems. In the 2.0 concept art for instance it showed the only obvious way to get into Northern Thanalan was through the mines in North Central Thanalan, might be something similar for the new West Black Shroud, if its still part of Black Shroud, it could end up being a new zone in Mor Dhona region for instance.

Darryl

Banned
The person that Teknoman was referring to meant 1.0 combat, before the changes that came in 1.18 and later.

They liked the stamina system.

The stamina system is great conceptually, it just doesn't work with extreme lag. I know people who played FFXIV 1.0 prior to those main combat patches and they miss it as well, deemed it as being superior. One of my friends got all jobs 50, quit before the main patches (1.18+), and came back to being outraged over the new system.

well if you used FFXIV itself as a precedent, you could very well be playing the final product

They should feel right at home with the system we're seeing in beta then, it's practically the same thing! :x

NO. Not even close.

Jijidasu

My guess is its turned into the Ancient Eorzean Stratum detailed in the concept released way back when 2.0 was first announced. You can see it pretty close from Central Black Shroud and can see it from Camp Tranquil in South Shroud (in live letter and alpha videos!), not far to the west, but you can't see it from North Shroud at all. There will probably be a zone line in the future that goes through a non-instanced dungeon or just to the west of area with all those clay golems. In the 2.0 concept art for instance it showed the only obvious way to get into Northern Thanalan was through the mines in North Central Thanalan, might be something similar for the new West Black Shroud, if its still part of Black Shroud, it could end up being a new zone in Mor Dhona region for instance.

It's quite elevated, that structure. I thought it might be the new Coerthas. I have an idea of how one might put in a zone line now though.

Teknoman

You'll probably have to travel through there at mid-low level since I think some of the missing quests will have you traveling to other city states.

I'm glad that us legacy members will most likely still have to travel through the different areas to recover aetheryte among other things. We wont be at the ground level exactly, but we wont immediately be at end game either.

Speaking of which, I hope legacy member carried over characters get a different intro than others.

Jijidasu

You'll probably have to travel through there at mid-low level since I think some of the missing quests will have you traveling to other city states.

I'm glad that us legacy members will most likely still have to travel through the different areas to recover aetheryte among other things. We wont be at the ground level exactly, but we wont immediately be at end game either.

Speaking of which, I hope legacy member carried over characters get a different intro than others.

There'll be a separate opening for Legacy users being carried over.

I'm pretty sure they said in an interview even if you're Lv.50 you'll have to do the class quests to get the new skills, too. lol.

Teknoman

There'll be a separate opening for Legacy users being carried over.

I'm pretty sure they said in an interview even if you're Lv.50 you'll have to do the class quests to get the new skills, too. lol.

Thats fine by me, since everything has been changed for the most part. That and I dont really want to be right at end game before learning all the new features and so on.

Amaron

Banned
I currently signed up for the PS3 beta as I lack a computer being able to remotely run this game. Just wondering what was everyone's thoughts concerning PS3 optimization and an MMO like FFXIV2.0?

I personally don't think it would be too terrible an issue, if they somehow use the cell secret sauce and limit characters drawn as MMOs are usually very CPU intensive.

Darryl

Banned
Auto attacks are pretty pointless in current battle system and TP is like the old stamina system is what I mean. So yes it is even close in that sense.

1.0 really encouraged you to queue ability usage for tactical use and it's something that i'm not seeing in 2.0 so far, TP similarities or not.

Thats fine by me, since everything has been changed for the most part. That and I dont really want to be right at end game before learning all the new features and so on.

Yeah, I remember that from Kagari's interview. First time hearing about the new intro though.

Nova Crystallis: Will returning Level 50 characters still need to do the low-level class quests to unlock abilities that they had in 1.x?
Yoshida: Yes, you will need to. The story is completely different. With the battle class from level 15 there will be different weapon skills.

I'm starting to get scared that incessant whining from the 1.0 crowd (not you guys, but, you know, in general...) is going to ruin an otherwise great game.

LowParry

I'm starting to get scared that incessant whining from the 1.0 crowd (not you guys, but, you know, in general...) is going to ruin an otherwise great game.

I wouldn't worry too much. Like any MMO beta, you're going to have that small set of those who complain about everything. TOR is a good example.

There's an FFXIV shaped hole in my heart
While time goes by as this beta is down
How many hours must I be apart
From all of my friends in Gridania town
Beauties of every race run in our humble abode
Midriffs and panchura, I think that I might
Zoom all the way into first person mode
Because I am a Taru, such a wonderful sight

Stark

Banned

It seems they know what particular feedback to take and have roundabout solutions for the 1.0 lovers. At least, that is what I got from Kagari's interview.

suzu

I wish that when you're handing in quest items, they'd just automatically take it from your inventory -- instead of having you drag and drop it.

A minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less.

Scythian

The most I'm scared of is A Realm Reborn turning into a regular boring WoW-clone with fetch quests and a boring battle system.
I had fun in 1.X, though I only played it for a few months, which is unusual in itself since I tend to get bored pretty quickly with MMOs, so I had hoped they go with a battle system similar to it but with improvements. I want this to keep my attention even more so than with 1.X.

Teknoman

I wish that when you're handing in quest items, they'd just automatically take it from your inventory -- instead of having you drag and drop it.

A minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less.

You can right click and choose to hand the item over. It isnt as fast as auto taking, but its faster than drag and drop.

The most I'm scared of is A Realm Reborn turning into a regular boring WoW-clone with fetch quests and a boring battle system.
I had fun in 1.X, though I only played it for a few months, which is unusual in itself since I tend to get bored pretty quickly with MMOs, so I had hoped they go with a battle system similar to it but with improvements. I want this to keep my attention even more so than with 1.X.

Trust, its still Square Enix. For better or worse, it wont be a direct copy/clone of anything.

Riposte

I didn't comment on it, but what cracked me up about Kagari's interview is how one of the questions sounded like it was actually saying "It's lame/sexist girls have to wear mini-skirts" and Yoshi-P seemed entirely oblivious to that and answered the question straight. So innocently Japanese.

I can relate to people wanting 1.0-like elements, at least I do on a case by case basis. My number one concern with this game is that they so utterly afraid of attempting to properly execute their unique ideas (some of which simply could not be executed well because the fixed base of the game was poorly executed) that they will simply adapt things from other games. If people were drawn to XIV's unusual elements then making it usual is not a solution to them and it is not a proper solution for anyone since making your game more like WoW has failed time and time again.

Yoshi-P seems like a good (effective and efficient) director, but I get the feeling he is extremely uncreative and that's not good news if what I want is a fresh, detailed setting with verisimilitude (i.e. Eorzea as I know it, that is without boob sliders) and something that different from the usual MMO material (which is to say MMOs simply suck universally, but I can still enjoy things about them if they don't suck in a way that kills an interesting social environment with pockets of interesting scenarios). Everything out of his mouth is either "We are going to shoe-horn as many Final Fantasy references like this was Dissidia" and "Look at all these MMO-ass MMO features we are adding".

Every combat system change is concerning, but I should give them the benefit of the doubt because they gave me the great Nael Deus fight right? The thing is I already saw what happened to FFXI. They neutered mission design, solved the broken/dull party mechanics (most evident 60+) by making it more broken/dull (colibri, zerging only becoming stronger and stronger from parties to endgame, level 99 lol), and just completely gave up by the time the game became "Abyssea and Magian Trials: 24/7". With late 1.0 being equivalent to highly abrasive CoP, this is sort of how I see ARR playing out. How they are handling things like trash quests (changing the focus from content done to enjoy content to trashy content meant to give exp and be over with quickly) and solo content (every advantage given to solo content is basically a sign telling players not to cooperate) convinces me of that. I'm pretty pessimistic, but do have faith that even with a downgrade in world-building the artists will provide something marvelous to look at and the game will keep its charming writing.

I think they're most concerned with 'catching up' in the sense of the XI and XIV being more archaic in design focusing. Using aspects of all the current stuff out there allows them an advantage in terms of seeing what works and what flavor they can bring to the table. If they start out trying to be radical or too different, we'll end up with the 1.0 beta again. What's great about Yoshida's mindset is that he's not looking at just WoW (which to be honest has set the bar for what most people value from a modern MMO) either. He's looking at and playing everything.

Best case scenario is them getting to the bar most other things have set over the years, then diverging from that more and more as the snowball grows. That's one of the better things about the subscription fee too. It allows a set and more consistently paced process over time. XIV can easily turn its greatest weakness into a strength over time (introducing concepts from 1.0 and XI in a more contemporary fashion) if we're patient with it.

Teknoman

Apparently they even added use of emotes in battle (one of the new style guildleves involves beating up those giant boars a little, then using emotes to calm then down instead of straight up slaying them).

Darryl

Banned

i ran into a constant barrage of idiots last night complaining about people complaining, "don't worry and shut up it'll be fixed when the game launches. don't you know this is just a beta". i don't think there was 5 minutes where someone didn't say this exact shit. yea, it's a beta. we should be ripping these guys a new asshole over any and everything wrong. i'm pretty sure that's what they want us to do.

unless you're somehow worried that the 1.0 players are going to be too busy nostalgia-ing over 1.0 gameplay after ARR launches, in which i'll say that this game will have to be a total disaster for that number to be significant enough to "ruin" it.

Teknoman

i ran into a constant barrage of idiots last night complaining about people complaining, "don't worry and shut up it'll be fixed when the game launches. don't you know this is just a beta". i don't think there was 5 minutes where someone didn't say this exact shit. yea, it's a beta. we should be ripping these guys a new asshole over any and everything wrong. i'm pretty sure that's what they want us to do.

unless you're somehow worried that the 1.0 players are going to be too busy nostalgia-ing over 1.0 gameplay after ARR launches, in which i'll say that this game will have to be a total disaster for that number to be significant enough to "ruin" it.

I agree there. Now is not the time to take it easy, for feedback anyway. Give the loudest voice possible to actual constructive criticism and helpful feedback. Like as many helpful posts as possible, and post as much detailed feedback as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom