• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stark

Banned
Amazing how Kazuya Ninou is on the forefront of most responses and is pretty quick. (Going through Reinhart's thread)

erawsd

The most I'm scared of is A Realm Reborn turning into a regular boring WoW-clone with fetch quests and a boring battle system.
I had fun in 1.X, though I only played it for a few months, which is unusual in itself since I tend to get bored pretty quickly with MMOs, so I had hoped they go with a battle system similar to it but with improvements. I want this to keep my attention even more so than with 1.X.

This is a fear I have as well. I just don't understand why it is necessary to become a "WOW-clone" at all.

Personally, I quit WOW and started playing FFXIV because I wanted something different. Likewise, people interested in playing WOW are already playing WOW. They aren't about to abandon their friends and characters they've played with for 9+ years to play a game exactly like it.

Granted, WOW has been bleeding subs so there are probably a ton of MMO fans looking for something else to play. However, I doubt that someone who quit WOW because he was sick of the formula is interested in playing a clone.

i ran into a constant barrage of idiots last night complaining about people complaining, "don't worry and shut up it'll be fixed when the game launches. don't you know this is just a beta". i don't think there was 5 minutes where someone didn't say this exact shit. yea, it's a beta. we should be ripping these guys a new asshole over any and everything wrong. i'm pretty sure that's what they want us to do.

unless you're somehow worried that the 1.0 players are going to be too busy nostalgia-ing over 1.0 gameplay after ARR launches, in which i'll say that this game will have to be a total disaster for that number to be significant enough to "ruin" it.

Feedback did a lot of good the last time they had a beta.. I know it's Yoshida but you can't blame me for being skeptical.

The comment that scared me was the "It's not as open as 1.0" stuff. I'm afraid that the very same people who wanted 2.0 are now going to be complaining about everything that's been changed just because it's not like before, and that those people will be listened to.

Mm, yes, I agree the games are too different fundamentally to compare, but I'm not really comparing them. I'm just saying there can be a happy medium, one with the best of both worlds, which I also think could be applied to a non-"action combat" MMO.

That one is an action mmo and the other is a target based mmo isn't what I was claiming to be non comparable. That is a separate point. Is is that the skills and animations in one (tera) were balanced with risk reward tied to how long they were and what they did, while in FFXIV, they are not.

Basically to me it boils down to this: why animate skills if the animations don't really mean anything? If they're going with non-locking skill usage then the animations should match. That is, they shouldn't exist, or shouldn't be unique. Which is boring, to match a boring button-mash WS spam system. Because otherwise there is this constant feeling of "what I'm seeing is not what is happening" or "I'm not seeing what is really happening" (however you want to look at it) that never goes away.

It is a design difference with style in mind, as you touched on with the part of your post I didn't quote. The flashy animations are how this game (and ff11) rewarded high levels, and one of the few things that separates how a class feels in the game. They are unlikely to be removed (and in the case of the one I mentioned in the previous post, chaos thrust, was even made to look more flashy since it didn't "fit" the look of a top skill), and it is doubtful that the system will be balanced around the length of them. So we are left with either disregarding balance and game play issues to make the game look nicer, or having to deal with seeing people slide across the ground while using a skill from time to time. I've made it clear why I go with the latter. It isn't only that game play always trumps visuals (it normally does, same reason why I can deal with the sliding animation at the start and stopping of running), but also because skill lock for the most part effects melee more then range. Guess we can also hope that they add more independent animations to the lower half of the body, but that brings in a whole other level of weird looking animation flaws.

Oh God...oh God....that post....holy shit....and so many likes?

I would say that most of the people that got in, and are giving feed back, are legacy players. That should tell you right there. People that were willing to stick with and pay for a game so broken that it needed a complete rework.

The most I'm scared of is A Realm Reborn turning into a regular boring WoW-clone with fetch quests and a boring battle system.

I would rather the game keep the same world feel and importance to the story that XI did, but I can only hope that it gains at least some sort of comparable uniqueness to each of the classes play style that WoW's combat had. To take an analogy from someone else, every class in FFXIV feels like they are all part of the same class on wow, but different talent specs. As in they all play the same way, using the same mechanics with nothing to make them feel unique other then how the skills look. Of course it is a little early to proclaim something like that about the final product.

As an unrelated side note, anyone find it odd that the Dragoon AF armor looks more like it should be a Dark Knight armor, but with purple tint?

NinjaJesus

As an unrelated side note, anyone find it odd that the Dragoon AF armor looks more like it should be a Dark Knight armor, but with purple tint?

It always reminded me of Kain from FFIV.

Kain_(Dissidia_012).png

It always reminded me of Kain from FFIV.

Could just be me. The overall look of the helm looks more like DRK gear, along with all the spikes and stuff on the armor itself. Kain's stuff looked more flat and pointed, while Cecil's DRK gear had the rounded helm. Same with the FFT job art.

Anyway, next beta test schedule is up, prepare to lose your weekend.

Teknoman

So close to level 10...hopefully i'll be able to get past that, get Gladiator up, and go exploring with you guys. Gotta test that dungeon.

On the bright side, its the whole weekend.

glaurung

I got into the new beta group, but how do I get the game client?

No email I have received contains any information on that. Or maybe I'm just blind.

Teknoman

I got into the new beta group, but how do I get the game client?

No email I have received contains any information on that. Or maybe I'm just blind.

Check your email again. There should be a really short url. Click that and head to the beta forums, then download from there.

Jinko

If people were drawn to XIV's unusual elements then making it usual is not a solution to them and it is not a proper solution for anyone since making your game more like WoW has failed time and time again.

I don't think these games fail because they copy wow, more that they launch with no content, the reason to this day WoW is still holding strong is because there is so much content being added, 1.0 was like this in a sense.

From what we know ARR will be getting a major patch every 2.5 months so hopefully the game will have enough content for the first 2.5 months to keep everyone entertained.

Personally I don't care if they copy current gen MMO's but looking at 1.0 they had a lot of interesting content and story choices something that you don't get in a WoW clone, plus the JP art style and amazing Final Fantasy armour, I think Yoshi and his team are very creative, just look at the chocobo friend system for example.

i ran into a constant barrage of idiots last night complaining about people complaining, "don't worry and shut up it'll be fixed when the game launches. don't you know this is just a beta". i don't think there was 5 minutes where someone didn't say this exact shit. yea, it's a beta. we should be ripping these guys a new asshole over any and everything wrong. i'm pretty sure that's what they want us to do.

unless you're somehow worried that the 1.0 players are going to be too busy nostalgia-ing over 1.0 gameplay after ARR launches, in which i'll say that this game will have to be a total disaster for that number to be significant enough to "ruin" it.

Yes and No, I find most people on those forums are kind of like babies spitting their dummies out, they don't give any constructive feedback and the threads quickly devolve into a trollfest, I agree we should definitely be voicing out opinions though.

The comment that scared me was the "It's not as open as 1.0" stuff. I'm afraid that the very same people who wanted 2.0 are now going to be complaining about everything that's been changed just because it's not like before, and that those people will be listened to.

Yup its pretty much this, kind of like making food for a child and them throwing it in your face, I do think Yoshida is smart enough not to listen to these trolls though, he has a clear vision even if it may not look that way at times.

Also looks like they have added a queuing feature to the next test :D

Not for me :( ..it begins at 3am here. Only one entire day.
/cry

Yea *sour-puss face*

Norua

Banned
Wait, is the next session still phase 1 or is it already moving to phase 2? Can't you guys play right now?

Also, to the people getting beta keys just now, are you a Legacy member or peasant like me?

So close to level 10...hopefully i'll be able to get past that, get Gladiator up, and go exploring with you guys. Gotta test that dungeon.

On the bright side, its the whole weekend.

Teknoman, I have questions about tanking, could you help me out?

• How great was the disparity in HP between races in 1.0 at end-game?
  • Do you think that there will be a disparity in ARR?
  • Do Taru have a smaller hit box than larger races?

Wait, is the next session still phase 1 or is it already moving to phase 2? Can't you guys play right now?

Also, to the people getting beta keys just now, are you a Legacy member or peasant like me?

Still phase 1. No we can not play right now. No I am not a legacy member.

Salaadin

Looks like an all-nighter for me :)

Id like to make it an all nighter but then my Sunday sleep schedule will be screwed up and I have work on Monday sooooo....no can do :(
Ill probably stay on until 2am or so assuming I can get on Saturday night at all. If not, then Ill just devote all of Sunday to playing.

omlet

Teknoman, I have questions about tanking, could you help me out?

• How great was the disparity in HP between races in 1.0 at end-game?
  • Do you think that there will be a disparity in ARR?
  • Do Taru have a smaller hit box than larger races?

I tanked a good bit in 1.x (Danrus hard mode, garuda, etc.) as Paladin.

1) There wasn't one.
2) Yes, but I think it will be insignificant next to the power of
the force
materia.
3) Nope, this isn't TERA.

I tanked a good bit in 1.x (Danrus hard mode, garuda, etc.) as Paladin.

1) There wasn't one.
2) Yes, but I think it will be insignificant next to the power of
the force
materia.
3) Nope, this isn't TERA.

Thank god. My issue back in FFXI was my HP at endgame. I had to wear so much HP+ shit and go DRK/MNK for some KC spams. It was like a Napoleon complex for Tarus.

Teknoman

Thank god. My issue back in FFXI was my HP at endgame. I had to wear so much HP+ shit and go DRK/MNK for some KC spams. It was like a Napoleon complex for Tarus.

Yeah pretty much what omlet said. Also alot of time in the higher level fights, positioning played a factor, keeping an enemy facing a certain way, so a cone or straight circle aoe attack would cause minimal damage.

I'm sure the race differences when implemented will most likely only factor in the early levels.

That being said, I wonder how patron gods work this time? I always pick Oschon, so I think I had a little higher wind resist?

EDIT: I think its a good thing that they closed the feedback forums until the next test starts (we're still in phase 1, its just the next test within the phase) so they can comb through the forums for actual constructive criticism/improvements/additions.

Jijidasu

Feedback submission is down so I'm putting this here as a memo for myself to submit a piece on the lack of nature. Need some birds, bees etc flying around like FFXI had.

List of small living things FFXI had that helped the world experience:
Butterflies
Grasshoppers
Bees
Owls
Birds
Frogs?

Am I missing some?

I actually missed a lot of these until I watched some scenery videos years after quitting. I imagine they'll put them in for the sake of keeping it in line with previous accomplishments.

Jinko

Speaking of bees I would like them to bring back the wasps from FFXI., they were much cooler than the hornets spawns we have.

Munba

Feedback submission is down so I'm putting this here as a memo for myself to submit a piece on the lack of nature. Need some birds, bees etc flying around like FFXI had.

List of small living things FFXI had that helped the world experience:
Butterflies
Grasshoppers
Bees
Owls
Birds
Frogs?

Am I missing some?

I actually missed a lot of these until I watched some scenery videos years after quitting. I imagine they'll put them in for the sake of keeping it in line with previous accomplishments.

That is the same feedback i was going to post lol. I want to see jumping crickets too, like those in Konshtat. Bevies in the sky and so on.

This (famous) scenery video is the pure example of what i want 'to live' in Eorzea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iesY1XssACM

There were also mushrooms did grow up after a rainy day... priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom